Trying times vexing Riley

Trying times vexing Riley

There are 44 comments on the South Florida Sun-Sentinel story from Jan 15, 2008, titled Trying times vexing Riley. In it, South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that:

The palace is rubble, the crown is a memory and a tortured Pat Riley stands on an empty practice court, in this empty season, trying to channel the preacher in him to summon one last stand.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Heat Fan in Dallas

Denton, TX

#1 Jan 15, 2008
I like Riley and Shaq but Riley has to pay the price for trading for Shaq. It is now clear that Lakers were smart to let him go.
BeGeezus

Kingston, NY

#2 Jan 15, 2008
Great story, Dave.

"When you sow a thought, you reap an action," he says. "When you sow an action you reap a habit. When you sow a habit, you will reap character. When you sow character with all those other things combined you reap destiny.

"When you reap destiny — this is getting heavy — you get closer to your God."

I guess that is as close as you can get to basketball spirituality.

I thank Riley for everything he has done for this franchise. Without him, the Heat would not be playing in Miami anymore, you can bet on it.

As for this season...Respectfully, when Riley decided to sign Shaq for 5 @ 20, he had to know the Heat would need to go into the luxury tax bracket at least a few seasons. I have supported the team financially when they were just competitive as a fan. I expect that when opportunity presents itself, you pull all stops. Arison and Riley gambled and it backfired. I think, if they were not ready to commit financially, whether with Posey, Kapono, or some other high-priced free agent, they should never have brought Shaq here. You can say he is overpaid now all you want, but he delivered, along with Wade and Alonzo ond the others, but there is no denying he was a huge part of it. Had personnel been handled better, the Heat could have potentially won two more with the combination of Wade, Oneal, and Mourning. Riley blew it there. Remember this also, Wade, Mourning, Posey, and Payton combined cost Arison very little the championship season. I think as a professional sports franchise owner, you owe it to the fanbase and city to go all out when the opportunity presents itself. Luxury tax included, it would have been a smaller price to pay to bring them back, than the franchise is paying now. It will lose another 10 to 30 million from missed playoff revenue. Of course, when Arison sells the team, it will be for hundreds of millions more than what he paid. The only ones who will have really footed the bill are the fans. Riley and Arison have been great, but they fell short on the luxury tax decision, literally. It does tarnish the championship when you go from first to worst.Show me the money, Mickey, was it worth it?
win

Walled Lake, MI

#3 Jan 15, 2008
shaq has shown no heart; he is a big ralph sampson---all height and no heart. without heart shaq was done two years ago. zo was the difference. now shaqs pea-sized heart shows...

wade has to stop messing around and take leadership like kobe does. take charge of what is left of the year. he should be averaging 40 points a game, of which they'd win 1/3. Otherwise they win none as they are doing now.
chuck

Philippines

#4 Jan 15, 2008
No one to blame, the team was not built to win this season!
NBA Sucks

Chaguanas, Trinidad and Tobago

#5 Jan 16, 2008
Wade is not 100%.
The NBA is Dog-doo.
Riley is an A-hole.

Who cares.
thinking man

West Palm Beach, FL

#6 Jan 16, 2008
It shouldn't surprise riley that the heat are in this situation.If he wants to know how they got here,he should look within himself,he's the one that gave an old shaq that kind of contract not anyone else.For those who wants to talk about rewarding shaq, you give him a car, build a statue in his honor, but under no circumstances do you handicap yourself with that kind huge contract, besides ask yourself is he rewarding this franchise for rewarding him.Finally because of riley's penchant for trying to make himself look good,the heat couldn't afford some of the player's who really helped to win that championship.Ijust remember shaq being cancelled by players he was supposed to be dominating, and yet he got such a big deal,so here we are riley you did this now deal with silently, because I for one feel no pity for you.
xman

Clearwater, FL

#7 Jan 16, 2008
It is time for a diffeent approach. Forget about wins and losses and turn this team into a bootcamp for young players with potential to be great in 2-3 years. Teach these guys to play the game and judge the success or failure of the season by the improvement of the players.

Time to pay of the bills (bloated contracts of shaq and whoever) but continue to build stability.
Godfrey

United States

#8 Jan 16, 2008
Dinosaurs once ruled the earth. Riley, who's picture is on this losing season? You're now coaching against your former players. When you do the same thing the same way, you get the same results.
THE TRUTH

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#9 Jan 16, 2008
Riley did reap what he sowed. Not only is the championship trashed, but so is his reputation. It will never be back just like Shaq.

Buh Bye!!!
eger

Miami, FL

#10 Jan 16, 2008
Miami needs to pry Samuel Dalembert from Philly.
lasarte

Northampton, MA

#11 Jan 16, 2008
Shaq is behaving like anyone who suddenly looks in the mirror and thinks -'When did I get so old'. It scares the crap out of him that he's not a positive force anymore. All these years he's been convincing himself that it's because he's not 100%, or that it's Wade's time or worse - that he can dominate when he still wants. What has finally set in is that he's just an aging superstar - a guy whose years at playing 60+ pounds overweight have wrecked his knees, hips, feet and back.
I maintain that to be an elite player over a period of time you need to keep yourself as close to your 'early 20's' weight as possible. Shaq came in at 285 - if he were at around 300 now he may still be a force - or at least not be a liability.
miamiheat

Grand Rapids, MI

#12 Jan 16, 2008
Exactly! This is the indirect price for winning a championship in 2006. Hey, at least they won a championship. There are other teams with much better records that have never won rings, so I guess it depends on what's important...
xman wrote:
It is time for a diffeent approach. Forget about wins and losses and turn this team into a bootcamp for young players with potential to be great in 2-3 years. Teach these guys to play the game and judge the success or failure of the season by the improvement of the players.
Time to pay of the bills (bloated contracts of shaq and whoever) but continue to build stability.
JETTATTACK

Durham, NC

#13 Jan 16, 2008
Carma Pat. What you did to Van Gundy was not right. That said, the past is the past is the past.

Key for success?

Get off of Shaq's arse.

Belittling him in the media will only make his hip injury get worst...wink wink...

Can't say I blame him. If he is responsible for the demise of the team, then lets see how good you all are without him.

Props to Dwayne.

But don't get it twisted.

Shaq is the diesel engine that makes the whole apparatus work.

Don't believe me?

Go ask Kobe.
Oh no

New York, NY

#14 Jan 16, 2008
It's Wednesday and we have to watch the Heat lose again. Brainstorm...trade Shaq and somehow thru another lottery team with a valid pick and perhaps via a third team with a lottery pick...figure a way to draft Beasley, Rose and Gordon!
nba analyst

Mansfield, OH

#15 Jan 16, 2008
I'm just astonished that the atheists haven't showed up to trash this article. It's a miracle!
Rileymare

Gainesville, FL

#16 Jan 16, 2008
The best thing that could happen to the Heat is if Riley leaves. Period. Not just as coach. As president, GM and sell his stock in the team. Its better that Arison not even use him as a consultant.

I know. What about the championship? The ring? Well that is in the past. Riley did real good building teams by making huge blockbuster trades. Multi player multi team.

Now and IMO the team is suffering because of some of those moves. Face it we are a lottery team and Rileys tendencies have been to trade away young players for established vets. I for one don't want that anymore. I am tired of Rileyball
Joe O

Denver, CO

#17 Jan 16, 2008
Rileymare wrote:
The best thing that could happen to the Heat is if Riley leaves. Period. Not just as coach. As president, GM and sell his stock in the team. Its better that Arison not even use him as a consultant.
I know. What about the championship? The ring? Well that is in the past. Riley did real good building teams by making huge blockbuster trades. Multi player multi team.
Now and IMO the team is suffering because of some of those moves. Face it we are a lottery team and Rileys tendencies have been to trade away young players for established vets. I for one don't want that anymore. I am tired of Rileyball
You were not tired of Riley ball when they were winning the championship were you?..Look, there is no one in their right mind that can blame this mess on Pat. Players, not coaches win games, becaus ethey are the ones who play games. Pat nudged them to a championship but they players were already capable. This is just not a sport but also a business. Based on the numbers, this supporting cast is the best the Heat could get this offseason. What that means is that Shaq and Wade needed to earn their contracts this season. Shaq obviously doesnt care and how can you blame that on Riley. Yes he gave him a huge contract even when the Lakers buged. You would expect that Shaq would reward the franchise that gave him his last big contract. And please dont tell me he brought the championship cos it was a collective effort. Easpecially in the Championship series against Dallas, the man was useless. He should reward the fans by working out and playing. His horrible attitude has tranfered on to Wade and thats why we are in trouble. The players have to look themselves in the mirror and make adjustments, not the coach. Wade and Shaq make 13 and 20 million respectively. They should earn their money. Look at Kobe, that is a player who works to earn his money. He works out tirelessly during the offseason, play offense as well as Defense. Wade, is all over south beach during the offseason and plays only offense. Thats the real problem people, our so called superstars are not dedicated.

Since: Oct 07

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#18 Jan 16, 2008
Wade is not top in his position? Name 5 better SGs.

Since: Oct 07

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#19 Jan 16, 2008
Wade is not top 5 in his position? Name 5 better SGs.
Gunslinger

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#20 Jan 16, 2008
80 minute practice session. That says it all. Larry Bird used to shoot foul shots for twice that long after practice. Maybe the Heat can get Ricky Williams to suit up (or toke up).

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ricky Davis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Clippers make qualifying offer to forward Novak (Jul '09) Jul '09 los angeles fan 1
News Riley fires back after O'Neal rebuke -- Basketb... (Mar '08) Apr '09 Slim 24
News Davis moves to small forward (Nov '07) Mar '09 Tiffany 7
News Rookie inconsistency of Heat's Daequan Cook not... (Mar '08) Mar '09 mydrick taylor 8
News As others question team's effort, Pat Riley def... (Mar '08) Mar '09 Tiffany 17
News No culture shock for Rothstein (Mar '08) Mar '09 mike 10
News Clippers suffer another big loss (Mar '09) Mar '09 robert 1
More from around the web