D'Antoni must resist Garden of Eden

D'Antoni must resist Garden of Eden

There are 19 comments on the Newsday story from May 13, 2008, titled D'Antoni must resist Garden of Eden. In it, Newsday reports that:

Mike D'Antoni strolled outside the Garden Tuesday afternoon, working the Seventh Avenue end on a brilliant New York day flanked by photographers and the usual MSG gatekeepers.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

Platypus Pal

San Antonio, TX

#1 May 13, 2008
does this work?
Platypus Pal

San Antonio, TX

#2 May 13, 2008
Ha, I guess it does!
Platypus Pal

San Antonio, TX

#3 May 13, 2008
In that case, D'Antoni will have to make some MAJOR adjustments to the Knicks' roster if he wants to continue his run-and-gun style of basketball... that much is obvious. However this is somewhat restricted because of the salary cap issues. So in conclusion, I'm going to continue to support the Suns and hope that the next coach has the sense to have more than a 7-man rotation...
Stephen

Honolulu, HI

#4 May 13, 2008
I think we should stop focusing on 2010 as a pie-in-the-sky dream. James, Wade, etc., can receive way more from their current teams. Instead of trying to pluck established stars, the Knicks should try to draft and develop their own.
Whatever

Warwick, NY

#5 May 13, 2008
Playoffs?

Playoffs?

Are u kidding me

Playoffs?

“Go Ahead Liberal, Make My Day”

Since: Dec 07

Florida...home of Trump

#6 May 14, 2008
this guy wants an up tempo style with Marbury, Curry and Randolph ? good luck
Lotterypick

Brooklyn, NY

#7 May 14, 2008
Balkman should be a minimum salary player having no cap impact. Have to wait another year on Chandler to see if he's worth more than that. With this roster, there should be no problem being under the cap in 2010 if that's the direction they want to go.
going your way

New York, NY

#8 May 14, 2008
The Knicks appear to be headed in the right direction. First hiring Donnie Walsh and then getting Mike D'Antoni. However, anyone who thinks the Knicks will magically turn it around are in a dream world. The roster is so screwed up it will take time. The first order should be to figure out who you really want to keep from the current cast of misfits. Second they must draft well and third they must begin to manage the salary cap. This all seems obvious. Of course, it should have been obvious 5 years ago but we are talking about the Knicks. Hopefully, this all starts to change under Walsh. Patience will certainly be required. Making the playoffs should be a secondary goal. Getting the right players to fit the system should be the primary goal.
whaaat

Huntington, NY

#9 May 14, 2008
keep:
Chandler (I think D'antoni could develop him)
Lee (off the bench for Defense)
Robinson (?)
Q-Rich (inactive except against Lebron)
Winners

New Hyde Park, NY

#10 May 14, 2008
Ready for ANOTHER rate increase Cablevision fans!

Dolan is about to rape his personal piggy bank called subscribers once again.

“Male Dog!!”

Since: Mar 08

Gwynn Oak, MD

#11 May 14, 2008
Winners wrote:
I don't think that anybody will deny that.
Bob

Venice, FL

#12 May 14, 2008
Some good points raised about spending wisely but to be honest I don't believe they will go down the same path as
Layden with his rewarding aging role players Eisley and Anderson with contracts that far outweighed their talent, or Thomas with his ridiculous reward to Jerome James for having one good playoff series in Seattle.

These men are grown ups and I
don't think they will go down the same path regardless of the temptations. I believe Walsh will keep his word about getting under the cap by 2010.

If they can put a competitive, exciting team on the floor in the meantime it will be such an upgrade from the last seven years that fans should be happy with us moving out of the cellar and will be patient
with Walsh/D'Antoni while they build a contender. NY fans are sophisticated enough to know that these things take time, all they want to see is tangible progress, not a championship in a single bound.

The only thing I'm concerned about is Dolan ordering a trade. From what I have read, Dolan is keeping his word and Walsh is firmly in control and I don't believe he wants to tarnish his legacy by being lumped in with Layden and Thomas, who would want that?
venom

Albany, NY

#13 May 14, 2008
Bob wrote:
Some good points raised about spending wisely but to be honest I don't believe they will go down the same path as
Layden with his rewarding aging role players Eisley and Anderson with contracts that far outweighed their talent, or Thomas with his ridiculous reward to Jerome James for having one good playoff series in Seattle.
don't think they will go down the same path regardless of the temptations. I believe Walsh will keep his word about getting under the cap by 2010.
If they can put a competitive, exciting team on the floor in the meantime it will be such an upgrade from the last seven years that fans should be happy with us moving out of the cellar and will be patient
with Walsh/D'Antoni while they build a contender. NY fans are sophisticated enough to know that these things take time, all they want to see is tangible progress, not a championship in a single bound.
The only thing I'm concerned about is Dolan ordering a trade. From what I have read, Dolan is keeping his word and Walsh is firmly in control and I don't believe he wants to tarnish his legacy by being lumped in with Layden and Thomas, who would want that?
agreed. Layden liked Eisley and Anderson because they looked great off the bench in Utah. I would look great playing with Stockton/Malone. when Houston went down in the playoffs, Anderson became the SG and would refuse to shoot form outside when open. I think they just came off the cap this year.
venom

Albany, NY

#14 May 14, 2008
Guinness Drinker wrote:
this guy wants an up tempo style with Marbury, Curry and Randolph ? good luck
I don't think you paid attention. In Phoenix he started his 5 best players, regardless of size. He will do the same hear. My only issue is I remember the rick Pitino one year experiment. The team pressed full court and ran on offense, with Mark Jackson running the show. The team had 50+ wins and then lost to MJ's Bulls in the firat round. There only outside shooting threat was Kiki V. and by then he had a bad back. I think the style will be good. The only Plodders in the lineup are Curry and JJ (if he's still around). Hopefully Curry comes in shape. If not Lee will probably be the C like late last year
venom

Albany, NY

#15 May 14, 2008
Winners wrote:
actualy it will come next year by all cable companies, when the only TV signal allowed by Federal law will be digital.
venom

Albany, NY

#16 May 14, 2008
whaaat wrote:
keep:
Chandler (I think D'antoni could develop him)
Lee (off the bench for Defense)
Robinson (?)
Q-Rich (inactive except against Lebron)
D'Antoni drafted Robinson in Phoenix. Yesterday he sounded like trading him to the Knicks wasn't his idea. Q-Rich had his best year playing for him in Phoenix. I guess it will soon come out why he traded Marbury away. He said 'it was just business'.
venom

Albany, NY

#17 May 14, 2008
Whatever wrote:
Playoffs?
Playoffs?
Are u kidding me
Playoffs?
The Hawks made it with 37 wins. So yea playoffs is a possibility.
venom

Albany, NY

#18 May 14, 2008
Bob wrote:
the only ones 'ordering trades' are the reporters. Some AH,(video tape king Warner Wolf) asked D'A if he realizes that 50% of the current roster has to go. D'A laughed it off, but it demonstrated how silly and ill-informed and
legends-in-their-own-minds NY sports media can be
%
Tango

United States

#19 May 14, 2008
I laugh how all these crtics and experts who praised the Knicks when Isiah got hired are now bashing D'Antoni. Look at it like this: Everyone knew the Knicks had a crappy roster that Isiah assembled. So it wouldnt matter which coach you bought it your not going to win with this roster. So why are people saying D'Antoni is the wrong coach for these players? Who cares because most of the players will be gone in a few yrs and D'Antoni will then have the type of players to fit his system. I do agree you need to play defense but looking at the record Phoenix had against the east the past 4yrs they were like 56-23. I guess the diffrence between D'antoni and Mark Jackson was that D'Antoni has coached and averaged 58 wins the last 4 yrs. He has won 2 championships in Italy. Jackson is a big unknown because he has not coached 1 game. So think about it if you had a corporation and needed a new head guy would you hire a guy that has successfully run a corp the past 5 yrs or someone who has never ran a corporation but since he grew up in NY would of been a nice fit?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Renaldo Balkman Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Nuggets sad that Melo had to take Billups with ... (Feb '11) Feb '11 jime k 1
News Hochman: Rough NBA? It's Mr. Nice Guy era (Feb '10) Feb '10 John s 1
News Waived by Knicks, Jones back in Miami (Aug '08) Aug '08 OLD PRO 7
News Miami Heat brings back forward Bobby Jones (Aug '08) Aug '08 s dub 4
News Ewing would love to see son come to Knicks (May '08) May '08 REED DID THE DEED 1
News Isiah not shutting door on Knicks (Apr '08) Apr '08 Bob 1
News Crittenton scores 23 as Grizzlies beat Knicks 1... (Apr '08) Apr '08 CoolClyde 4
More from around the web