Pacers hope the only way to go is up

Pacers hope the only way to go is up

There are 74 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Mar 4, 2007, titled Pacers hope the only way to go is up. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

There's nothing wrong with the Indiana Pacers that getting easy baskets wouldn't fix.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Joe

Indianapolis, IN

#1 Mar 5, 2007
Get rid of O'Neal, Tinsley, Daniels, and Bring in some players with character
Prof Johnson

AOL

#2 Mar 5, 2007
How about getting rid of the coach?
Chris

Peoria, IL

#3 Mar 5, 2007
Tank and get Oden, or if he doesn't come out get Durant and then suck next year and get Oden too. Can you say 8 championships in the next 15 years if you had those two.
thomas lusk

Stockton, CA

#4 Mar 5, 2007
i was hoping danny granger would have that cocky sure fire attitude with a deadly 3. it really makes you appreciate reggie that much more,
Donewith pacers

Indianapolis, IN

#5 Mar 5, 2007
The Pacers sealed thier fate when Reggie retired. They anointed Jermaine the leader of the team and have been going down hill since. Jermaine thinks that being the leader means he has to shoot every time he gets the ball, even when double and triple teamed. The team tried to go to an up tempo game which is more suitable for Tinsley, but Jermaine threw a fit because he wasn't getting his touches in the post. Watching this offense is like going to the Dentist. Dump it down to Jermaine and everyone else get back on defense. Tinsley has quick hands and gets his share of steals but overall, the opponent's guards go right past him. He's horrible. The Pacers need to start from square-one. Get rid of everyone but Foster and Granger and build from there. Jermaine is a role player but there is no way he'll accept that. The Pacers will never win with O'Neal and Tinsley leading this team.
Jr-Lexington

Ashburn, VA

#6 Mar 5, 2007
The really sad thing is when anger, embarrassment and disgust turn to not even caring anymore. I do not think the current Pacers players, coaches and management even care. We have been fans for 20 plus years and used to look forward to traveling the 100 miles up I65 to watch our Pacers play. Now they are becoming just another score in the sports section no different than Atlanta Memphis or all the rest. Do these players not have any pride at all? Not winning is one thing but not even showing up to compete is another.
Confussed

United States

#7 Mar 5, 2007
My coment is still the same. When are we going to get a new coach? Because sooner or later, Walsh and Bird will have to address this problem. And when they do! I want to see who picks Rick up, and my perdiction is, it will be a team less than 500 and he won't be able to help them out, and that will be his last coaching job. A coach is not really someone who knows everything about the game. But a coach needs to know how to motoviate a group of people to play as a team.
Rick does not have a clue!!!!!!!
David Stern

Ft Mitchell, KY

#8 Mar 5, 2007
Donewith pacers wrote:
The Pacers sealed thier fate when Reggie retired. They anointed Jermaine the leader of the team and have been going down hill since. Jermaine thinks that being the leader means he has to shoot every time he gets the ball, even when double and triple teamed. The team tried to go to an up tempo game which is more suitable for Tinsley, but Jermaine threw a fit because he wasn't getting his touches in the post. Watching this offense is like going to the Dentist. Dump it down to Jermaine and everyone else get back on defense. Tinsley has quick hands and gets his share of steals but overall, the opponent's guards go right past him. He's horrible. The Pacers need to start from square-one. Get rid of everyone but Foster and Granger and build from there. Jermaine is a role player but there is no way he'll accept that. The Pacers will never win with O'Neal and Tinsley leading this team.
Yep, J.O. is not the answer.
It's not a good sign when the team plays so much better everytime J.O. is injured. This team's shot at a championship left town with crazy Ron and rightly so. Ron Artest or any team that is stupid enough to have him, does not deserve a championship.
Vanilla Ice

Jeffersonville, OH

#9 Mar 5, 2007
We pay these guys millions of dollars?

“Superbowl XLI Champs!!!!”

Since: Feb 07

Indianapolis

#10 Mar 5, 2007
I agree with anyone who says the Pacers need a new coach. They need a new approach to playing the game. When they are getting blown out on a nightly basis, the coaching has to come into question. We have the players to be competetive, but RC is not getting it done from a coaching standpoint. He never seems to know who he wants to play and he pulls the hot guys, so that he can put the struggling players back in. I truly do believe it when ex-players say he uses favoritism with the star players and players he likes. We have players on the bench who are competetive and if the guys in the game can't get it done, you have to use other guys. That's why Dallas is so good. Avery Johnson has fire and the team respects him so they wanna go out and play hard for him. These guys don't respect Coach Carlisle, which is obvious when they interview anyone who has played with Indiana in the past 3-4 seasons. Maybe Ron-Ron wasn't so crazy after all when he spoke out against the coach.

“Superbowl XLI Champs!!!!”

Since: Feb 07

Indianapolis

#11 Mar 5, 2007
David Stern wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep, J.O. is not the answer.
It's not a good sign when the team plays so much better everytime J.O. is injured. This team's shot at a championship left town with crazy Ron and rightly so. Ron Artest or any team that is stupid enough to have him, does not deserve a championship.
I have to disagree with comments about J.O...No big man is going to get it done if the players around him can't get it done. To have a successful post game you have to have decent shooters. The Pacers are dead last in field goal percentage, which tells me two things. 1) If you can't shoot, you aren't going to win many games unless your defense is spectacular. 2) without a good shooter to draw the double teams away from the post, J.O. has no chance. Not even Shaq would be productive being double and triple teamed all the time. And that's because teams aren't afraid to leave our shooters open, since they miss most of the time anyway. One last observation about Jermaine, while everyone is quick to wanna get rid of him...without him the Pacers have ZERO defense. Why do you think he's tops in the league in blocked shots? That's because the rest of the team allows penetration on darn near every single play. But he can't do it all by himself. It's starts at the point guard position b/c the point guards allow the pick and roll to kill us every single time. Everyone is quick to wanna hold on to Foster and yes he is a good rebounder and energy guy. And he also does a decent job of playing defense on some big men. But he's not a cure all and although a fan favorite, fans need to understand that this isn't about who's the more popular player and who they don't like...this is about winning championships. We could have a team that included Tinsley, Spreewell, Artest, Zack Randolph and Dennis Rodman and I wouldn't care as long as we could win a championship.
Cube Monkey

Reynoldsburg, OH

#12 Mar 5, 2007
Jr-Lexington wrote:
The really sad thing is when anger, embarrassment and disgust turn to not even caring anymore. I do not think the current Pacers players, coaches and management even care. We have been fans for 20 plus years and used to look forward to traveling the 100 miles up I65 to watch our Pacers play. Now they are becoming just another score in the sports section no different than Atlanta Memphis or all the rest. Do these players not have any pride at all? Not winning is one thing but not even showing up to compete is another.
So, what you're saying is you are a fair weather fan who likes jumping on and off the bandwagon? I bet you're a Colts fan also, right?

“Going thru hell, keep going!”

Since: Dec 06

United States

#13 Mar 5, 2007
Several folks have hit it right on the head with their comments. I think Reggie was the one who said it when he started as a color man in the booth. This team has a problem, the chemistry is bad. The wrong people think they are leaders and there are no real leaders on this team.

Tinsley definitely needs to go and someone with some gonads needs to tell JO he's a legend in his own mind!

Get rid of the two stooges in the front office and the third stooge on the bench. Then get rid of the ghetto thug (tinsley) and the over-inflated ego (jo) and rebuild this team. Stop trying to hold onto the past and get real, this team is not going anywhere as is!
Chris

Henderson, KY

#14 Mar 5, 2007
The Pacers need a second, sure-fire offensive-defensive weapon. JO is not capable of chemistry He's just too meek. He's fairly tough, but has a mild personality. He and Artest were a great combo back when the Pacers were looking to create a balanced Detroit-type team, rather than have JO try to be a superstar. Contrary to what others have said here, Artest was worth the trouble, if the Pacers had recognized his nature early and had players on the floor prepared to police him. Even the mighty Phil Jackson had to learn how to manage the volatile Dennis Rodman--and he got a couple more championships for his trouble when the Bulls got long in the tooth. People love personality and unpredictability. Artest would have sold many, many tickets. But, Pacer fans insist on their players being as pristine as Reggie. At least Artest didn't wave guns around. He just ran his mouth and threw some haymakers at a few Detroit hoodlums. It was the Walsh/Bird/Carlisle's fault that no player on the floor was designated to grab Ron-Ron and sit him down in during a heated moment (that everyone knew would come) when the Pacers were DISMANTLING the reigning champs on their home floor!
SoItAintSoReggie

United States

#15 Mar 5, 2007
Cube Monkey wrote:
<quoted text>
So, what you're saying is you are a fair weather fan who likes jumping on and off the bandwagon? I bet you're a Colts fan also, right?
This quote wasn't to me, but I don't think that it's a fair comment, the original poster clearly stated that they've been fans for many years. And it's not at all about being a "fair weather fan", but rather the horrific and ridiculous direction this franchise has been heading these past few seasons. We've all stood by the Pacers while they struggled in the early 90's (or in some cases throughout the 80's even) or the early 2000's too, but...the way the franchise has been run these past few years...just too much for many of us diehard in good times-and-in bad times fans. What's happening now is...well, just pathetic (on AND off the court).
DONEWITHPACERS

Indianapolis, IN

#16 Mar 5, 2007
MrEtheColtsFan wrote:
<quoted text>
I have to disagree with comments about J.O...No big man is going to get it done if the players around him can't get it done. To have a successful post game you have to have decent shooters. The Pacers are dead last in field goal percentage, which tells me two things. 1) If you can't shoot, you aren't going to win many games unless your defense is spectacular. 2) without a good shooter to draw the double teams away from the post, J.O. has no chance. Not even Shaq would be productive being double and triple teamed all the time. And that's because teams aren't afraid to leave our shooters open, since they miss most of the time anyway. One last observation about Jermaine, while everyone is quick to wanna get rid of him...without him the Pacers have ZERO defense. Why do you think he's tops in the league in blocked shots? That's because the rest of the team allows penetration on darn near every single play. But he can't do it all by himself. It's starts at the point guard position b/c the point guards allow the pick and roll to kill us every single time. Everyone is quick to wanna hold on to Foster and yes he is a good rebounder and energy guy. And he also does a decent job of playing defense on some big men. But he's not a cure all and although a fan favorite, fans need to understand that this isn't about who's the more popular player and who they don't like...this is about winning championships. We could have a team that included Tinsley, Spreewell, Artest, Zack Randolph and Dennis Rodman and I wouldn't care as long as we could win a championship.
You have reiterated my point, Jermaine can't get it done while being double and triple teamed but he continues to try!. He's a black hole, the ball goes in and never comes back out. If he would pass it back out (not after spending 10 seconds holding the ball) the ball can get reversed and someone might be able to do something with it. The reason everybody loves Foster, limited though he may be, is because Foster busts his but every time he's on the floor.
Jr-Lexington

Ashburn, VA

#18 Mar 5, 2007
Cube Monkey wrote:
<quoted text>
I would not call driving over 100 miles one way 5 to 10 times a season a fair weather fan. As for the colts I dont care nothing about football this is Indiana where basketball is king and we know something about playing hard and losing and not even trying. This Pacer team does not seem to even care about losing sure they say all the right things after each embarrassing game but come out with the same lack of energy and fire the next.
Reality Check

Zionsville, IN

#19 Mar 5, 2007
How about we find a new town for the Pacers?? They have been nothing but a drain and embarrasment for Indianapolis since Reggie left. Even my two sons are no longer interested in watching a bunch of thugs play ball anymore. It's very sad as I was a fan for many many years but it is no longer in my heart. Might as well head to Pendleton and watch the yard game at the prison. You'd have about the same amount of heart and talent!
Dr Q

Las Cruces, NM

#20 Mar 5, 2007
I'm not sure who needs to go and who needs to stay, but there is certainly a lack of chemistry in the Pacer's organization. Nothing is going to happen this year, so I wouldn't mind them getting a lottery pick. Let's face it, even if they get in the playoffs, so what?
Write One Article

Indianapolis, IN

#21 Mar 5, 2007
Write One article regarding Pacers.
You can use the same article every day. No heart, no coach, no front office, band aid players, where's the reggie mite sandwich?
You know the posts are the same evey day. So just conjure up a 4 or 5 paragraph editorial and run it till the end of the season. No one cares , no one's listening, it's time for a major change. Wake me when's it's over.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Reggie Miller Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Stephen Curry Spent A Summer Changing His Shoot... (Dec '14) Dec '14 faith short 1
News The Great Debate: Would T-Mac Have Been Better ... (Oct '10) Aug '11 Kevs 26
News HICKS: Rodman doesn't belong in Hall of Fame (Apr '11) Apr '11 worm91 7
News Pacers fire Mel Daniels (Nov '09) Nov '09 Jus 1
News Aerial advertiser doesn't know who paid for Mil... (Aug '09) Aug '09 Southbay Heart 2
News Aerial banner over beaches admonishes former NB... (Aug '09) Aug '09 leo from cornelia 47
News Reggie Miller Pursuing Married Women? Husbby of... (Aug '09) Aug '09 Nick College Student 1
More from around the web