Are the Boston Celtics Once Again on ...

Are the Boston Celtics Once Again on the Cusp of Rebuilding?

There are 1 comment on the Associated Content story from Mar 6, 2010, titled Are the Boston Celtics Once Again on the Cusp of Rebuilding?. In it, Associated Content reports that:

Is this the end of the line for this incarnation of the Boston Celtics? Any longtime Celtics fan sees the eerie similarity to what is happening to this year's Boston Celtics and those great Celtics teams of the 1980s.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Associated Content.

kashmir

Sanford, ME

#1 Mar 6, 2010
Long time Celtics fans know that they are always re-building, whether it's 2 minutes left and Celtics down by 6 points or rallying in May to go further than thought possible without Garnett in the rotation since Feb.

How often have sports commentators used the Celtics as an example of an actual TEAM, where the bench is just as valued as the "stars" & starters. I've noticed the Nuggets playing more of a team style this year and their record speaks for itself.

For years it was Michael Jordan vs. the NBA, Kobe, LeBron James, etc., then burn out, so veterans of the game became less valued. The concept of "team" has been elusive since the late seventies when it became more important to make money and get on that Wheaties box, than to play team ball. At least LeBron admitted his intention to be the first sports figure billionaire out loud on 60 minutes last year.

I like the Celtics style of valuing experience, teamwork, over "superstardom". It keeps it fresh, you never know who's going to pop off of that bench and nail the needed three-pointer to win the game. You never know where they'll pass the ball for sure, because they keep so many go-to guys ready to take the ball, or pass it along. Of course they are re-building, it's what they do, every moment of every game.

Getting these vets to make it to the playoffs prepares the coffers for the bucks that will be needed to bring in the young expensive players again.

It made good sense to bring in Finley instead of a young buck, he knows how to work with experienced players, he's more familiar with the mental game, as the body gets older, and probably knows the number of minutes left for him is precious and few, so he'll hopefully give it his all. He probably picked coming to the Celts as a good shot at ending his career on a high note. A player like Finley wanting to be on this team, speaks louder than any fans' critique or opinion. I don't think he settled, he had options.

It seems possible that the constant "re-building", or in other terms, never giving up, it part of that mystique we call the "Celtics Magic".

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ray Allen Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Heat say Chris Bosh will miss remainder of the ... (Feb '15) Mar '15 starrtasha1212 2
News Ray Allen Enjoying Last Laugh over Kevin Garnet... (May '14) Nov '14 foureyes 40
News Michael Beasley Quickly Becoming Impossible to ... (Nov '13) Jul '14 dfsg 2
News Miami Heat Unhappy That NBA Isn't Doing More to... (Apr '14) May '14 Heat Fan 6
News Heat seek revenge against Pistons (Dec '13) Dec '13 NFL STREAM 2
News LeBron James Gets Married in San Diego (Sep '13) Oct '13 Fan 2
News Philadelphia 76ers Can Hire Allen Iverson To Re... (Aug '13) Aug '13 Jewel Williams 1