Orlando Magic Coach Stan Van Gundy is happy that his team is un...

Magic Coach Stan Van Gundy said that the Celtics ' near comeback from a 28-point third quarter deficit in Game 1 might have had an upside. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Mike

Orlando, FL

#1 May 5, 2009
Dwight is going to have to play very smart. They are going to try to get him in foul trouble. It's well known that they don't have enough bigs to keep sending fresh bodies in to foul him, but if they get Howard in foul trouble then it becomes a mute point. Hopefully the refs will let him play. I expect the calls to be in Boston's favor big time in this game. I can't imagine the NBA wants Boston to go down 0-2. There's too much money to be made in a seven game series.
Alex

Lakeland, FL

#2 May 5, 2009
That means the Magic back court will have to do an excellent job at keeping Boston's back court out of the paint. If they can't get there, they can't draw any fouls on Howard and the other guys will also have to do a good job of rotating.
Reality Bites

Palm Coast, FL

#3 May 5, 2009
Problems that the Magic need to look into:

1). Rondo always lets the ball roll,(I understand that when Rafer jumped on it once it ended up in a 6 point Celtics run) but we need to put Pressure on Rondo when he just rolls the ball all the way to the half court line takes up 4-6 secs of the clock

2). when the shots are not going in (just like Rondo) just keep taking it to the hoop and intentionally get fouled (Rondo made 6 points straight when none of their shots were going in)

3). Keep Ray Allen in check (which is prolly not gonna happen for game 2)

4). Bulls won the first game too, the real test would be Game 2 and a victory here would put a LOT of pressure on the Celts

5). get them offensive rebounds and slap sclabrine around a little more

GOOOO MAGIC!!!...
Chris

United States

#4 May 5, 2009
If the Celtics get Dwight in foul trouble how much does that help them? No doubt Dwight is a beast on defense but Gortat is amazingly good as well, especially on blocks, changing shots, and rebounding. I'm not saying he's even close to Dwight but he still gives great interior defense.

The thing is, with Dwight out for whatever reason the Magic offense has been much better. More ball movement more people involved, less stupid 3 point shots with 15 seconds on the clock. More drives to the basket for easy points or kick outs.

I haven't looked at it but I think the +/- with Gortat in may have been even better than with Dwight in.

If Doc Rivers thinks getting Dwight in foul trouble is such a great thing......I think Gortat proves him wrong.
Chris

United States

#5 May 5, 2009
Magic win tonight!
not the same

Edgewater, FL

#6 May 5, 2009
Might be a blessing to get DH in foul trouble - Gortat has shown +ís in last few games including last game when DH was -
Mike wrote:
Dwight is going to have to play very smart. They are going to try to get him in foul trouble. It's well known that they don't have enough bigs to keep sending fresh bodies in to foul him, but if they get Howard in foul trouble then it becomes a mute point. Hopefully the refs will let him play. I expect the calls to be in Boston's favor big time in this game. I can't imagine the NBA wants Boston to go down 0-2. There's too much money to be made in a seven game series.
Mike

Orlando, FL

#8 May 6, 2009
Chris & Not The Same - All good points about Gortat. I'm actually in favor of running less plays for Dwight. Most people feel he should be option # 1 on offense, but quite frankly he turns the ball over way too much. But on the defensive end he is too valuable. That is where we would really miss him should he get into foul trouble.
travaluian

Merritt Island, FL

#9 May 6, 2009
this will be a tough game with a lot riding on the outcome. Dwight will be o.k. and if they are concerned with Dwight, that is good. I hope turk is into the game mentally,some of the things he do i can see it before he does it, he scares me sometimes. I'm not being critical just a little concerned about his decision process...The celtics will bring it as they should,let them bring it, if the Magic take game 2....wow, the sky is the limit. Go Magic
Van Gundys Mustache

Orlando, FL

#10 May 6, 2009
Blah, blah and blah. They can say whatever they want, they are still going to get blocked by more than one person out there. Go Magic.
long time Magic Fan

Winter Springs, FL

#11 May 6, 2009
Informative article Mr. Hightower. Bianchi's poem has me feeling embarresed for central florida. What a dweeb. The sentinal actually pays him for that ??
Moise

Junction City, KS

#12 May 6, 2009
We have 1 W, they have 0. As we all know, we have home court advantage wether we win tonight or not. If we win (which we will, because the pressure is now on the C's) than as BS's poem said, they C's might get swept by Sunday, or on Sunday. If we lose, it's a 5 game series and we have home court, we just have to dominate when we get back to O-Town.

I hope we don't get to comfortable with that 1 nothing lead; thinking that we will be happy going to Orlando with a 1-1 tied against Boston. Anything can happen in this game.

Coach SVG needs to give Tony Battie some minutes, especially when RL is having trouble scoring.

We will take Game 2 tonight.

GO MAGIC!!!

“"Hoop there it is"”

Since: Mar 09

Windermere, FL

#13 May 6, 2009
Chris wrote:
Magic win tonight!
I think so too.

I think they're mad about the last game, know they can beat this team and will be focused.

I just wonder how the calls will go.

Will they be fair or is Dwight going to be in trouble all night?

“"Hoop there it is"”

Windermere, FL

#14 May 6, 2009
long time Magic Fan wrote:
Informative article Mr. Hightower. Bianchi's poem has me feeling embarresed for central florida. What a dweeb. The sentinal actually pays him for that ??
You're not kidding that poem was kindergartenish!

Ridiculous.

“"Hoop there it is"”

Windermere, FL

#15 May 6, 2009
Mike wrote:
I think the Magic can win tonight, but I agree with everything you wrote - lets see if the calls are fair or not. It will be interesting to see the total number of fouls called tonight and when.
Mike

Cocoa Beach, FL

#16 May 6, 2009
Check out what this clown from the Boston Globe had to say about the D.Howard/SVG relationship. Seems to be a desperate attempt at trying to start a controversy.

http://thanksforplaying.weei.com/general/van-...
Mike

Cocoa Beach, FL

#17 May 6, 2009
Correction: The above link is from a Boston radio station called "WEEI Sports Radio Network", not the Boston Globe. My bad.------ Still garbage.
Aron

Orlando, FL

#18 May 6, 2009
Hmmm, well we will see how the film study went for both the teams tonight. For one, I hope that the Magic use Marcin a little bit more to throw a change of pace in there.

The Celts might challenge Dwight a little bit more and they may get him in foul trouble, but I'm really confident that Battie and Gortat can step in nicely. Battie didn't play at all last game and Gortat was limited to less than 7 minutes in that game. In any case, Dwight will play a lot of minutes, but I think Hedo could use a break and we could put Rashard at the 3 and move Battie or Gortat in off the bench for stretches during the game.

And please, please, please, let Rondo drive the lane again. This time when he gets knocked down, maybe he won't get up. That guy has gotten away with murder in these playoffs.
nanningbob

Nanning, China

#19 May 6, 2009
On the long list of miscast coaches and players in the pro sports world, we can now add Stan Van Gundy and Dwight Howard.

Van Gundy spent much of the opening-round series lamenting to reporters about his star playerís inability to take over a game. He criticized Howard for being tight at times. He chided his star for being too happy when the situation called for a mean streak. And then he insinuated his team was better off in Game 6 when Howard was serving a one-game suspension. Kudos to Van Gundy for following the Bill Belichick school of thought and airing out all of his grievances through the press. Thatís always proven to work wonders.
Kingof407

United States

#20 May 6, 2009
I just hope the magic stay focused, and don't get caught in the hype. They are still a young team and never really been in this situation before(last year with detriot didn't have this much hype). Detriot wasn't the champions, so this time is much more more pressure-it's the champs!!!!
Mike

Cocoa Beach, FL

#21 May 6, 2009
nanningbob wrote:
On the long list of miscast coaches and players in the pro sports world, we can now add Stan Van Gundy and Dwight Howard.
Van Gundy spent much of the opening-round series lamenting to reporters about his star playerís inability to take over a game. He criticized Howard for being tight at times. He chided his star for being too happy when the situation called for a mean streak. And then he insinuated his team was better off in Game 6 when Howard was serving a one-game suspension. Kudos to Van Gundy for following the Bill Belichick school of thought and airing out all of his grievances through the press. Thatís always proven to work wonders.
Sounds a lot like this guys opinion.....
http://thanksforplaying.weei.com/general/van-...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ray Allen Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ray Allen Enjoying Last Laugh over Kevin Garnet... (May '14) Nov 25 foureyes 40
Michael Beasley Quickly Becoming Impossible to ... (Nov '13) Jul '14 dfsg 2
Miami Heat Unhappy That NBA Isn't Doing More to... (Apr '14) May '14 Heat Fan 6
Heat seek revenge against Pistons (Dec '13) Dec '13 NFL STREAM 2
LeBron James Gets Married in San Diego (Sep '13) Oct '13 Fan 2
Philadelphia 76ers Can Hire Allen Iverson To Re... (Aug '13) Aug '13 Jewel Williams 1
Jeff Jacobs: Only Pillar left standing from glo... (Jul '13) Jul '13 normanmack 1

Ray Allen People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE