Pistons end Magic's season in Game 5

Pistons end Magic's season in Game 5

There are 287 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from May 13, 2008, titled Pistons end Magic's season in Game 5. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

And once again, the Orlando Magic were ushered into another summer with the sounds of Motown playing in their heads.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

First Prev
of 15
Next Last
Brian Hill

Winter Park, FL

#1 May 13, 2008
Stan Van Gundy is a SORRY excuse of a coach !!! All that top win 1 against the pistons???
Voice Of Reason

United States

#3 May 13, 2008
THanks MAGIC ...

Not for a great season but for turning into bitches tonight and losing the game and saving me the money I spent on tickets for Thursdays games.

Few things ... for all you who say ... "Well at least we had a great season" ... look who is on our team ... are they not SUPPOSE to win at least 50 games and make it to the 2nd round of the playoffs?

And seriously ... this was a clear game that showed a contender vs a pretender. 21 turnovers translates to guys butt holes being so tight that we make mistakes vs 3 turnovers for the Pistons! 21 ... what a bunch of bitches.

And Rip being 12 for 12 from the line. ANother difference. This team knows that in the postseason .. Turnovers and free throws win games. Heres hoping Dwight continues to practice and goof off on off games from the half court line.

Look Dwight ... we know you can dunk .. we know everyone is kissing your behind .. but for teh love of anything can you develop a go to move that when we get into situations like the 4th qtr we can go down to you? And even more importantly ... can you at least dvelop into lets say a 60% free throw shooter so we know we;re not gonna get screwed! I mean i would have rather had shaq shoot free throws rather than the whole magic team.

Game 2 ... Game 4 ... and Game 5 ... same mistakes ... its just teh difference between a contender vs a pretender. If ur happy with this season and winning 50 and losing in the 2nd round this team is for you. If ur not demand that these guys grow some balls .. take practice and each game seriously next year so that what they develop translates over into the post season.

We'll see next year ... but hey we're the magic when we depend on guys who have no balls this is our ceiling.

Thanks again magic for the money in my pcoket.
GOPISTONS

Lady Lake, FL

#4 May 13, 2008
i have to say, the magic are much tougher this year than any in the past that i can remember, and this series easily could have gone 7. kudos to the magic. if their improvement is a sign of the times, i'm a little worried about next season. now, having said that...

na na na na, na na na na, hey hey hey, goodbye!

ya just got PISTon!!!!!!!!!
Great Season

United States

#5 May 13, 2008
I am a very happy Magic fan in terms of the season.(Sure it would have been nice to win this series, but then, anything short of a title is kinda lame.) We have much to look forward to. If Dwight works on his free throws and get a bank shot or at least do one of the two, he will be truly unstoppable.

Also, we learned a lot about this year's team. It has heart. LIttle Jameer is a player and deserves his money. He is not durable and needs a backup to take major minutes during the season to keep him healthy, but come playoffs, he can lead this team.

I think the biggest deal is Gortat. He really shoed some game these playoffs and is quite fearless. I can see him and Howard on the floor together, thus allowing Lewis to move to the three, and Turk to the two.

I am very pleased with this team. I have high expectations for next year. Go Magic!
Blanco

Winter Park, FL

#6 May 13, 2008
When they did a close up on Van Gundy I realized that a guy who looks like a slob cannot run a team like a sharp looking one. The mustache with the unch leftovers and the untrimed hair plus the cheap jacket?
jazzman

Winter Park, FL

#9 May 13, 2008
Why does Van Gundy give the ball to Turk so much in crunch time, this guy can't deliver when the game is on the line, so many turnovers. Dwight Howard was wide open so many times in the first half and the ball was not delivered. Dooling and Evans had many opportunities to pass to Dwight in the paint. Seven minutes of not scoring to open the 4th quarter. Stan, you could have coached better.
Voice Of Reason

United States

#10 May 13, 2008
ANd one final note ... I am extremly happy this season is over because FINALLY ... FINALLY ... Garrity's contract is up and he is done with this team (fingers crossed).

That guy has been useless since he came to Orlando.
Andy

Longwood, FL

#11 May 13, 2008
Good year, they will certainly be back and be better next year. Otis deffinately has some work to do. You need some size and defense at the the 1 & 2 guard, and some toughness to help Dwight out, and if you trade Hedo and don't get someone really really good, you are just a fool like all the Magic GM's before you. You add Maggette to this team you get size and defense at the two, rotate Hedo and Shard around at 2, 3,and 4 and add a Hammer at the PF and now we talking! You could have a real nice 7-8 man rotation next year with a little tweakin'!

“Serenity Now!”

Since: May 07

York Township, OH

#12 May 13, 2008
I'm very surprised that the Magic didn't put up more of a fight in this series. The last two games the Pistons didn't even have Billups, and they still lost in five. It's not as if I picked Orlando in this series, but I at least figured it'd be competitive.

All we need now is for the Cavs to take care of business so we can take out Detroit once again.
Brad

United States

#13 May 13, 2008
Brian Hill wrote:
Stan Van Gundy is a SORRY excuse of a coach !!! All that top win 1 against the pistons???
Um...I think he did rather well for a coach that was stuck with a roster like that 8 of those players won't be back next year buddy. Let the guy build his own team...And FYI it's not 1995 so let the whole Brian Hill thing go he had his shot..TWICE
Zain

West Bloomfield, MI

#14 May 13, 2008
im a pistons fan and i'm happy they won yippee etc but good god 36% shooting??

i watched the entire game and they had so many clean looks and open shots, coming off screens and defenders and they barely sank any of them. that game was much closer than it needed to be with the way the pistons were playing on defense. they need to get their offense rolling.
Zain

West Bloomfield, MI

#15 May 13, 2008
aside from that though it was over in 5 it was one hell of a series with a couple exciting games - played like 7
McCain Man

Palm Coast, FL

#16 May 13, 2008
Oh wow, the Magic still suck. What a shock! And to think, they want out money to build them a new arena!
dude

Hillsborough, NJ

#17 May 13, 2008
Gave Detroit a much better series than last year, but still games 2,4, and 5 were winnable.
Don't care how many pts and boards Howard gets. His game is fundamentally flawed if he can't make foul shots and can't put the ball on the floor- needs to work on those aspects desperately if he wants to become a great player.
Reality Check

Lincoln, NE

#18 May 13, 2008
Doesn't really matter if they win or lose...the taxpayers of Orange County are still going to spend millions of dollars to line a billionaires pockets even more.

That being said, I honestly see virtually no change in this Magic team from last year. They better make some great deals if they want to escape mediocrity.
Bravo

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#19 May 13, 2008
I CRIED WHEN YOU BEAT TORONTO

AND WAS HIGH AFTER GAME 3

YOU GREW UP A LOT THIS YEAR GENTLEMEN

thank you for providing Magic fans since 89 with something we might have forgotten if not for your hard work and effort.

The Pistons are well, the Pistons.

Jordans Bulls had to go through them, and they had to go through Birds Celtics.

Thats how you grow as a team Rome was not built in a day, and regardless what we do in the off season the East is still weak with the top 4 not changing much next year.

Wallace is a bad dude who does not get credit hell the whole team is bad dudes.

You have to beat the best to be the best

i think ric flair said that

THANK YOU MAGIC

AND WE ARE A YEAR OLDER
boricuazo

Puerto Rico

#20 May 13, 2008
jajajaja thats happen when you no have a true pg in the court but dont worry arroyo get out of that team always is the same the little american guy 35 million the most ridiculous contract in the nba. van gundy u demosttrated that you won 50 games not for ur management if because you have dh and torkoglu but u and jn need to be fire aahhh what a back up pg is dolling the best jajajajaja
ozzy

Orlando, FL

#21 May 13, 2008
The Magic had a great season. Thanks players and coaches.

The Pistons were damn good though. Only 3 turnovers and a rookie point guard with 0 turnovers? Amazing. I hope Detroit kicks butt in the next round and then go on to beat the West. They deserve it.

Looking forward to see next season.
Go Magic!
Jim

Paducah, KY

#22 May 13, 2008
Turnovers and missed free throws. That is what cost the Magic not only this game but probably the series as well.

What's even worse is that they don't force any turnovers on the other end. Twenty one for them and only three for Detroit.

Even with all of the turnovers and the missed free throws the Magic were still in most of the games in this series. They have closed the gap a little bit with the Pistons.

They will be back next year and make another good run. Changes will be made and Battie will be back. Things are looking good.
Game over

Anderson, SC

#23 May 13, 2008
The Magic are a pathetic excuse of a team. I've been a fan of the the Magic since the "89-90" season and they played like it was a pre-season game. The season is on the line and the Magic lose 2 very winnable games without Billups. No excuse. It was just plain hard to watch. Howard played like he had his head up his a.s.s.

Not once did I see a Magic player dive for a lose ball. The season was on the line tonight and we got bush league basketball yet again from the Magic.

I can handle getting beat by the better team, which the Pistons clearly are, but to play like the way the Magic did is unacceptable.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 15
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rasheed Wallace Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News New York Knicks Express Interest in Samuel Dale... (Jul '13) Jul '13 greg 1
News Knicks Rumors: Kenyon Martin Perfect Fit for Te... (Feb '13) Feb '13 Ginobili 3
News Can the New York Knicks Still Be Considered a C... (Jan '13) Jan '13 Heavy Mental 2
News Marcus Camby Hurt, Rasheed Wallace Out of Shape... (Oct '12) Nov '12 Anonymous 2
News Josh Smith Shipping Off to the Boston Celtics i... (Jun '11) Jul '11 lolye 2
News For Celtics, the complaint department is closed... (Oct '10) Oct '10 marc 2
News Backtalk: 8/12/2010 (Aug '10) Aug '10 LtCol Miyamoto Hi... 5
More from around the web