NBA approves SuperSonics' move to Okl...

NBA approves SuperSonics' move to Oklahoma City

There are 11 comments on the News 9 Oklahoma City story from Apr 18, 2008, titled NBA approves SuperSonics' move to Oklahoma City. In it, News 9 Oklahoma City reports that:

NBA owners have approved the Seattle SuperSonics' move to Oklahoma City for the 2008-09 season, pending the resolution of litigation between the team and the city of Seattle.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at News 9 Oklahoma City.

Old Sgt

United States

#1 Apr 18, 2008
I can't figure Seattle out. They have surely had plenty of time to take into consideration the requests by the Sonics for a new arena. They voted it down, and the city isn't willing to work together to provide better facilities. The Hornets have made similar demands in New Orleans. If they can't keep up the attendance and business side of the game the Hornets have said that they too will look to relocate.

True, Seattle has had a Basketball team for 41 years. However, Oklahoma City had the Finals Rodeo for ages, and now they have moved to Las Vegas. Why? Basically because of the facilities, sound familiar. Now, Seattle and the state of Washington (the governor) are taking some last minute stabs to keep them there. I don't think it will float, and if the new owners ticked off the old owners, that's just the way the cabbage flies in the world of big business. Personally I think that the Sonics team (without the Sonics name) should be here to play this next season. Grow up Seattle. If you don't want to work to keep what you have, plan on loosing it.
Sharon Latta

United States

#2 Apr 18, 2008
I fell it would benefet OK. to buy the Sonics, but i also think they should pay state taxes.
Will

Seminole, OK

#3 Apr 18, 2008
It seems that the smartest thing to do would be the same as what the Cleveland Browns did when they moved to Baltimore. Leave the team name and history with Seattle and move to OKC with new name and hopefully not the stygma of a city that stole the team away....
Rick

Seattle, WA

#4 Apr 19, 2008
Ooo Finals Rodeo- that sure is big time lol. If you guys do end up getting the Sonics (or whatever name he changes it to) the owner is a total liar and you guys will get what you deserve! He did not try and keep the team here in Seattle, thats total BS.
Loyd CorterTecumseh

Colony, OK

#5 Apr 20, 2008
I think" OKC Sooner-Sonics "has a nice ring to it.GO OKLAHOMA.
Loyd CorterTecumseh

Colony, OK

#6 Apr 20, 2008
I think the OKC Sooner Sonics has a nice ring to it.GO OKLAHOMA.
Ned

Bellevue, WA

#7 Apr 20, 2008
Bennett destroyed the Sonics, dismantled the team, alienated the organization from the largest sports station in Seattle. Now Oklahomans lecturing people from Seattle on how they should have been taxed.
Embarrassed

Edmond, OK

#8 Apr 26, 2008
Please tell me we are not going to name our NBA team Oklahoma City! Was there any thought put into this? I tried to access the option to name the team but my system is not supported. So here are a couple of suggestions. How about Oklahoma Tornados or Oklahoma Natives. I am no expert on Oklahoma as I have only lived here for 6 months but I must say I will be a little disappointed if our team is simply called Oklahoma City.
drew

United States

#9 Jul 2, 2008
"[wow ur a dummy !!!!!!!!!! the sonics new name should be the okc losers. how will a different city change the teams skills??]"quote....
Xavier

Tacoma, WA

#10 Jul 2, 2008
I think a good name for the OKC team could be, The OKC dupes, or OKC tax bandits (since you'll be paying sooner or later for a new arena), or maybe the OKC expansion (since OKC will have a hard time attracting any good players who will actually want to live there).

You may have sent your favorite son to steal an NBA franchise from a top market city, but you will still be a small market city trying to fund an expensive team.

Good luck trying to get small market TV stations and radio stations in Oklahoma to fork over cash broadcast rights. When Clay Bennett tells them how much it will cost to broadcast games, the checks may bounce.

p.s., Us Seattlites will be watching from long distance as your 53 place market city tries to compete with Dallas, LA, NYC, Philadelphia and other large markets where players actually want to live and raise their families. I seriously doubt most NBA stars will choose central/western Oklahoma which is brown, dry, boring and will soon be struggling to pay the OKC/NBA payroll.

Enjoy your new purchase!

Seattle
Richard TO

Dallas, TX

#11 Jul 3, 2008
Question: Do you think that the NBA team in Toronto should move to Seattle?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nick Collison Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Did Referees Screw OKC Thunder out of Crucial N... (Jun '12) Jul '12 Ginobili 61
News Oklahoma City Thunder vs. Orlando Magic (Feb '11) Feb '11 Atl Gator 1
News BONSIGNORE: Lakers star Bryant delivers his res... (Apr '10) Apr '10 Kratos_1 14
News BONSIGNORE: Former UCLA guard Westbrook has NBA... (Apr '10) Apr '10 Sportmanship 2
News Durant, Thunder surpass last season's win total (Jan '10) Feb '10 cherish 6
News Thunder tops Rockets at BOK Center (Oct '08) Jan '09 Tiffany 4
News Timberwolves deliver some payback to Oklahoma C... (Nov '08) Nov '08 Ed D 3
More from around the web