Nelson takes over point for Warriors

Nelson takes over point for Warriors

There are 2 comments on the Monterey County Herald story from Oct 29, 2008, titled Nelson takes over point for Warriors. In it, Monterey County Herald reports that:

The evolution of the Warriors point guard position since last spring reads something like this: Baron Davis goes Hollywood.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Monterey County Herald.

Joey

Henderson, NV

#1 Oct 30, 2008
I liked Nelson at Duke, but the reality is that he's a scorer, not a PG. I think that spot is Watson's, and will be for years to come (once he gets healthy). Coach Nelson wanted to start CJ since he was most familiar with the system, but his recent elbow injury put some doubt into Nellie's mind.

As for Watson being a NBDL refugee, that's hardly the case. He was the 5th pick in the NBDL and absolutely dominated in his 16 games there, where he averaged 26.2 PPG, 5.5 RPG, 6.0 APG, and 1.8 SPG, while shooting 50.6% from the field, 40.4% from behind the arc, and 88.6% at the charity stripe.

Yes, I know he's playing against NBDL talent, but there's a reason he was brought up last year when the Warriors began getting hobbled and wanted to be deeper. Not to mention, Watson can give the team whatever they need (whether it be more scoring or assists, as well as solid defense), just like he did during his 4 years starting at Tennessee, where he switched gears as far as his offensive mindset based on his supporting cast.

He's the truest point guard in that system, and that is exactly what they need to complement their scoring talents. The Warriors would be in much better shape with an eventual lineup featuring him at the 1 and Ellis at the 2. Although a small backcourt, it would be a very talented one in which its pieces complemented one another very nicely.

“Living the dream!”

Since: Nov 07

Pleasanton, California

#2 Oct 31, 2008
Looks more like Captain Jack at point until Monta returns. Maybe even beyond... Sorry rookies!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mookie Blaylock Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Vallejo's Nelson makes incredible journey to NBA (Oct '08) Oct '08 PDL 5
News Recent Warriors starting point guards (Aug '08) Aug '08 2oonz 4
More from around the web