Money to $pend ::

Jan 6, 2008 | Posted by: No_More_Rexcuses | Full story: www.suntimes.com

Moving into an offseason that is as critical as it is uncertain, one of the Bears' strengths is their health in terms of the salary cap.

Comments
1 - 20 of 27 Comments Last updated Jan 17, 2008
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Nov 07

Delmar, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2008

dimz look at what Grieses salary was for '07...You were way off. Still want to sign ol Rex for 3 yrs 20 mill PLUS INCENTIVES..LOL

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/stats/byposition...

Delmar, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2008

dimz wrote:
<quoted text>
....umm hey genius....http://www.rotoworld .com/content/playerpages/playe r_contract.aspx?sport=nfl& id=263
do the math please.....football is not like baseball. average the total money over 5 years...k thanks.
Umm hey genius....its NOT LIKE BASEBALL......mainly because theres a SALARY CAP!!!!!

You said he was getting 5 million....Look at the facts he was getting 2.5 million..GENIUS..LOL

Delmar, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2008

BTW if you knew how to read you'd see that he got 4.5 million signing bonus his first year.....Are you really this dense...you told me to do the math...How about YOU do it k....

Are you done yet? so for the next 3 years he will get 1.7 , 2.1 and 2.65 million...hardly the 5 million a year you claimed....Seriously kid your way off...

Delmar, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2008

You are cutting and pasting responses now??? Come on shit for brains YOU posted the link...Now you are going to contradict it? He is not making 5 million a year like you said...How can you even argue this? Your wrong and you proved it yourself.
scott

Detroit, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2008

to the people that are standing by rex, do you guys think he is gonna get better after being in the league for 5 yrs already. The only thing hes proven is that he can turn the ball over and get hurt..... does anyone disagree with that????

Delmar, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2008

scott wrote:
to the people that are standing by rex, do you guys think he is gonna get better after being in the league for 5 yrs already. The only thing hes proven is that he can turn the ball over and get hurt..... does anyone disagree with that????
Not me

Morris, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2008

scott wrote:
Did you forget he went to a Superbowl? You people crack me up. You think you can just pretend Rex had nothing to do with that?

How about the 15 point margin of victory we averaged?

How about 23 TD's in '06 when he played a full season - since when is that bad for a QB, let alone a Bears QB?

And all he's proven is that he can turn the ball over and get hurt? You think that's only Rex?

Orton leads the team in fumbled snaps. Griese leads the team in INT's, and has been injured 3 times in his 10 year career and never taken a postseason snap. Orton averaged a 59.7 rating in his rookie year when he had an all star offensive line and a 1,000 yard back at his disposal.

Rex came in off the bench in '05 and on his FIRST pass, he pass the ball 32 yards - the longest pass of the season, 12 yards longer than ANY pass Kyle Orton completed that season.

Oh and like I said, he went to a Superbowl. He blew Seattle out of the water in the divisional round, and played very well against a good Saints defense. The whole team collapsed in Superbowl XLI.

And what has ANYONE proven on the team this year? Urlacher proved he can get old. Archuletta proved he can't cover a pass. Cedric Benson proved he can't run the ball as well as he thought he could. Berrian proved that even a number one receiver can lead the team in drops on a WR corps. that lead the league in drops. Brian Griese proved he is a BACKUP, period. And Kyle Orton proved he can play decent when the team is firing on all cylinders. And Rex? Rex came back off the bench and played great, proving he can play well despite the circumstances.

But really, who has proven ANYTHING this season except that they all need work in the offseason? What kind of comment was that?
Done

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2008

Rex Is Our Guy wrote:
<quoted text>Did you forget he went to a Superbowl? You people crack me up. You think you can just pretend Rex had nothing to do with that?
How about the 15 point margin of victory we averaged?
How about 23 TD's in '06 when he played a full season - since when is that bad for a QB, let alone a Bears QB?
And did you know that if you take away those 23 TD's the Bears would have still gone 8-8 in 06?
He also had 20 INT's - Since when is that good?
Heck in 4 games that season he didn't even throw a TD. Threw 3 or 4 picks instead.
So he went to the Superbowl in 06 and had something to do with it. Does that mean he had something to do with them not going in 05?
You have stated that the D and Special teams helped Orton win all his games in 05.
Well they did the same thing for Grossman in 06
Now this year when the D didn't show up we got to see Grossman for what he is. A sub par QB that does not have the skills to start in the NFL.

Delmar, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2008

Trent Dilfer went to a superbowl...And actually won..He hardly "led' the team there..Same as Rex..Except Dilfer had a better game.

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2008

Done wrote:
<quoted text>
And did you know that if you take away those 23 TD's the Bears would have still gone 8-8 in 06?
He also had 20 INT's - Since when is that good?
Heck in 4 games that season he didn't even throw a TD. Threw 3 or 4 picks instead.
So he went to the Superbowl in 06 and had something to do with it. Does that mean he had something to do with them not going in 05?
You have stated that the D and Special teams helped Orton win all his games in 05.
Well they did the same thing for Grossman in 06
Now this year when the D didn't show up we got to see Grossman for what he is. A sub par QB that does not have the skills to start in the NFL.
Orton's 05 season and Grossman's 06 season are hardly comparable.

With Orton, we averaged 13 points a game (on a good day), with Rex we averaged 30.

Orton threw 9 TD's in 15 starts, but threw 15 INT's. 5 in one game against the Bengals.

Rex threw 23 TD's, and 20 INT's. The two are not even close.

Orton didn't complete a pass over 20 yards all season in 2005. Rex's first pass in 2005 in the Falcons game went for 32 yards - longest of the season. Are you catching my drift?

Now this year when the "D" didn't show up!? You crack me up!

NO ONE SHOWED UP, OR DIDN'T YOU NOTICE? We have one of the worst running games in the NFC, a WR corps. plagued with drops and an offensive line that got old, seemingly overnight! We seen EVERYONE for what they are when they're having a bad season!

See, all you do is prove my point. Even when the entire team is failing, people like you only have one thing on their minds - it's all Rex's fault.

Explain to me how the QB who you say, supposedly singlehandedly lost games for the Bears, still managed to reach a Superbowl? Don't give me the defense bull like you've been doing, because we both know that's not the case.

Do you not remember the second half of last year when Arizona (1-6 at the time) tore up our defense? Yeah, Rex looked AWFUL in the game, but does anyone bring up the fact that the league's worst offense put up point on us like it was a Madden video game?

How about the Rams game that Grossman and the offense won for us, a game in which our "D" gave up 4 TD's and over 350 yards passing? Or the Bucs game in which an offense that hadn't scored a TD in 12 consecutive quarters of play came back against a Bears D that blew a 28 point lead, giving up 4 TD's in 6 minutes? Or the 2nd Lions game where we nearly lost home field advantage when our D couldn't stop KITNA and a joke of an offense from carving us up for 300+ yards?

Or how about the divisional playoffs of '06, where Grossman tossed 2 TD's, one, a 65 yard bomb to Berrian, and saved the game for us in overtime by completing a 24 yard pass to Davis to set up the winning field goal?

Do you people that just sit there and spew that "D won it for us last year" crap really know what you're talking about? If not for Rex and the offense in the Seahawks game, you can kiss the NFC Championship and the Superbowl goodbye, it would've been another one and done like in '05 when the Panthers scored a TD in the first 15 seconds of the game on Tillman!

Tell me, logically, how Grossman was "carried" through '06? He had some BAD, AWFUL, HORRIBLE games no doubt. But he saved our ass plenty of times too. Maybe if you thought about the situation instead of just spewing the same old "common" responses then you'd have a clue.

The whole team fell apart this year. Stop kidding yourself.
Chicagoan

Springfield, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2008

Rex Is Our Guy wrote:
<quoted text>Orton's 05 season and Grossman's 06 season are hardly comparable.
Do you not remember the second half of last year when Arizona (1-6 at the time) tore up our defense? Yeah, Rex looked AWFUL in the game, but does anyone bring up the fact that the league's worst offense put up point on us like it was a Madden video game?
How about the Rams game that Grossman and the offense won for us, a game in which our "D" gave up 4 TD's and over 350 yards passing? Or the Bucs game in which an offense that hadn't scored a TD in 12 consecutive quarters of play came back against a Bears D that blew a 28 point lead, giving up 4 TD's in 6 minutes? Or the 2nd Lions game where we nearly lost home field advantage when our D couldn't stop KITNA and a joke of an offense from carving us up for 300+ yards?
Or how about the divisional playoffs of '06, where Grossman tossed 2 TD's, one, a 65 yard bomb to Berrian, and saved the game for us in overtime by completing a 24 yard pass to Davis to set up the winning field goal?
Do you people that just sit there and spew that "D won it for us last year" crap really know what you're talking about? If not for Rex and the offense in the Seahawks game, you can kiss the NFC Championship and the Superbowl goodbye, it would've been another one and done like in '05 when the Panthers scored a TD in the first 15 seconds of the game on Tillman!
Tell me, logically, how Grossman was "carried" through '06? He had some BAD, AWFUL, HORRIBLE games no doubt. But he saved our ass plenty of times too. Maybe if you thought about the situation instead of just spewing the same old "common" responses then you'd have a clue.
The whole team fell apart this year. Stop kidding yourself.
[[True, Rex's 4th year Ortons 1st]]
[[Rex only acounted for 1/2 the points the Bears scored that year, there were 15 rushing, Hester had 5 and 1 Int return on defense, but Rex gave up 4 ints for a score]]
[[Again Orton was a true rookie, Rex was not, he had 4 years to learn the system.]]
We seen EVERYONE for what they are when they're having a bad season![[[Especially Rex]]]
Don't give me the defense bull like you've been doing, because we both know that's not the case.[[[Ok, Over 1900 yards on the ground,+8 turnover ratio 1st in the NFL, Devin Hester 5 retuns for TDs, and only giving up 29 TDs all year long, thats how!]]]
Do you not remember the second half of last year when Arizona [[[No we do but, remember it was the Defense and Hester that won the game for us.]]]
How about the Rams, or the Bucs, Lions,divisional playoffs of '06,[[[You mentioned 3 regular season games out of how many? 16, so dont think were all blind and stupid, we saw the games, we made the call, we'll keep the D and you can have the Hex.]]]
If not for Rex and the offense in the Seahawks game, you can kiss the NFC Championship and the Superbowl goodbye,[[[We did kiss the SUPERBOWL good by! thanks to a Grossman int]]] it would've been another one and done like in '05 when the Panthers scored a TD in the first 15 seconds of the game on Tillman![[[Well if we keep REX again we can all look forword to another year like this one.]]]
He had some BAD, AWFUL, HORRIBLE games no doubt.[[[NO DOUBT!]]] But he saved our ass plenty of times too.[[[NO, HE JUST DID AN AVERAGE JOB.]]] The whole team fell apart this year. Stop kidding yourself.[[[you should take your own advice]]]
Done

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2008

Thanks Chicagoan.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Morris, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2008

Chicagoan wrote:
<quoted text>
[[True, Rex's 4th year Ortons 1st]]
[[Rex only acounted for 1/2 the points the Bears scored that year, there were 15 rushing, Hester had 5 and 1 Int return on defense, but Rex gave up 4 ints for a score]]
[[Again Orton was a true rookie, Rex was not, he had 4 years to learn the system.]]
We seen EVERYONE for what they are when they're having a bad season![[[Especially Rex]]]
Don't give me the defense bull like you've been doing, because we both know that's not the case.[[[Ok, Over 1900 yards on the ground,+8 turnover ratio 1st in the NFL, Devin Hester 5 retuns for TDs, and only giving up 29 TDs all year long, thats how!]]]
Do you not remember the second half of last year when Arizona [[[No we do but, remember it was the Defense and Hester that won the game for us.]]]
How about the Rams, or the Bucs, Lions,divisional playoffs of '06,[[[You mentioned 3 regular season games out of how many? 16, so dont think were all blind and stupid, we saw the games, we made the call, we'll keep the D and you can have the Hex.]]]
If not for Rex and the offense in the Seahawks game, you can kiss the NFC Championship and the Superbowl goodbye,[[[We did kiss the SUPERBOWL good by! thanks to a Grossman int]]] it would've been another one and done like in '05 when the Panthers scored a TD in the first 15 seconds of the game on Tillman![[[Well if we keep REX again we can all look forword to another year like this one.]]]
He had some BAD, AWFUL, HORRIBLE games no doubt.[[[NO DOUBT!]]] But he saved our ass plenty of times too.[[[NO, HE JUST DID AN AVERAGE JOB.]]] The whole team fell apart this year. Stop kidding yourself.[[[you should take your own advice]]]
First of all, I mentioned those three because everyone has this delusion that Rex had a good first five games and then he was horrible. So let's do the math here since you're having a hard time:

Rex lead the league in every area for a QB the first five games against:

Green Bay / Detroit / Minnesota / Seattle / and Buffalo.

So that's FIVE games. With me so far?

He has a bad outing in Arizona, tossing 3 picks.

So that's five great games to ONE bad game. Still with me?

He then rips San Francisco apart for another game with a rating of over 100 and 3 TD's. The next week, the ENTIRE team, not just Rex, has a bad outing in Miami. Harrington carved up the D for 300 yards passing and 3 TD's. But Rex was to blame too, tossing 2 picks.

So that's SIX great games, to TWO bad games. Still with me?

He then destroys the Giants throwing for 2 TD's, throws a TD in a shutout of the Jets, and then performs poorly in New England, tossing 2 picks and poorly again in Minnesota.

Ok, so that's EIGHT (8) great games to FOUR bad games? How we doin? Need a calculator yet?

For the next three weeks, he was one of the NFC's top passers - carving up the Rams for over 250 yards passing and 3 TD's, the Bucs for a record 330 yards and 3 TD's and the Lions with 2 TD's and 150 yards passing in ONE half of play.

The following week, he performed HORRIBLY in Green Bay, posting his infamous 0.0 raiting (which ironically, is what Brett Favre's passer rating was after the first half of their second game of this 2007 season - what do you know?)

So let's count 'em so far!

That's ELEVEN (11) great games to FIVE (5) poor games.

He then carved up Seattle and set us up for the game winning TD, and threw a TD againts the Saints and no turnovers before performing poorly in the second half of the Superbowl, a game in which the ENTIRE team played poorly.

So all in all for 2006, that's 13 (THIRTEEN) great games as opposed to 6 poor games.

Now... in what way was Grossman "carried"?
Chicagoan

Springfield, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2008

Rex Is Our Guy wrote:
<quoted text>First of all, I mentioned those three because everyone has this delusion that Rex had a good first five games and then he was horrible. So let's do the math here since you're having a hard time:
My math is fine, but I am worried about your reading and comprehention.

Rex ranked 25th out of 32 QB in passer rating last year, this year he was 31st.

Only 3 QBs had more INTs than Grossman last year.

12 QBs had as many or more TDs.

Only 2 QBs had a worst Comp./Attemp %

Only 2 QBs had less completions than Rex

Lets see thats 30th in Comp/att + 30 in completions + 13th in TDs + 29th in INTs + 25th in QB Rating + Superbowl team = Grossman sucks!!!

Schenectady, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2008

Get him Chicagoan....

Morris, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2008

Chicagoan wrote:
<quoted text>
My math is fine, but I am worried about your reading and comprehention.
Rex ranked 25th out of 32 QB in passer rating last year, this year he was 31st.
Only 3 QBs had more INTs than Grossman last year.
12 QBs had as many or more TDs.
Only 2 QBs had a worst Comp./Attemp %
Only 2 QBs had less completions than Rex
Lets see thats 30th in Comp/att + 30 in completions + 13th in TDs + 29th in INTs + 25th in QB Rating + Superbowl team = Grossman sucks!!!
I have a question for you...

of all those QB's you mentioned...

Which one went to the Superbowl?
Done

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2008

That just proves that a team doesn't need a good QB to make it to the Superbowl.
But to answer your question Peyton Manning.

Morris, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2008

Done wrote:
That just proves that a team doesn't need a good QB to make it to the Superbowl.
But to answer your question Peyton Manning.
Well obviously Peyton Manning, don't be an idiot. I was referring to the other QB's besides Rex and Peyton.

And that just proves you don't need a good QB to make it to the Superbowl?

Ok then... explain this to me. 2001, Bears make the playoffs - we have a great defense, a GREAT defense! And we make it to the postseason.

Why didn't we get to the Superbowl? I mean we had a 13-3 record with a mediocre QB in Shane Matthews... so why didn't we get there?

Fast forward to 2003. We finish atop the NFC North yet again with a QB carousel consisting of Burris, Hutchinson and Stewart - a HORRID combination of QB's. We're 1 and done again...

Why didn't we go the Superbowl then with horrible QB's like that, since we don't need good ones to get there?

Now it's 2005, Rex plays one regular season game and plays well in the game against the Panthers, but Delhomme and Smith burn our defense and beat us by a last minute TD. Why didn't we get there then with a great special teams and a number one in the league defense?

So now, 2006 comes along, Rex's first full season as a starter... we go to the Superbowl. How does it work out that, CONICIDENTALLY, the first time we have some potential at the QB position, we just HAPPEN to go to the Superbowl.

Explain to me then, how all the other great defenses we've had in between McMahon and Grossman failed to take their shit QB's to a Superbowl? Please, shed your wisdom on us.

“Let's rock!!”

Since: Oct 07

Aurora, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2008

Rex Is Our Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
So now, 2006 comes along, Rex's first full season as a starter... we go to the Superbowl. How does it work out that, CONICIDENTALLY, the first time we have some potential at the QB position, we just HAPPEN to go to the Superbowl.
Explain to me then, how all the other great defenses we've had in between McMahon and Grossman failed to take their shit QB's to a Superbowl? Please, shed your wisdom on us.
In 2006, we had a really easy season & beat a bunch of palooka-teams (Doug Buffone called 'em "tomato cans"). We had our historic chance, and the window slammed closed.

Schenectady, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2008

Rex Is Our Guy wrote:
<quoted text>Well obviously Peyton Manning, don't be an idiot. I was referring to the other QB's besides Rex and Peyton.
And that just proves you don't need a good QB to make it to the Superbowl?
Ok then... explain this to me. 2001, Bears make the playoffs - we have a great defense, a GREAT defense! And we make it to the postseason.
Why didn't we get to the Superbowl? I mean we had a 13-3 record with a mediocre QB in Shane Matthews... so why didn't we get there?
Fast forward to 2003. We finish atop the NFC North yet again with a QB carousel consisting of Burris, Hutchinson and Stewart - a HORRID combination of QB's. We're 1 and done again...
Why didn't we go the Superbowl then with horrible QB's like that, since we don't need good ones to get there?
Now it's 2005, Rex plays one regular season game and plays well in the game against the Panthers, but Delhomme and Smith burn our defense and beat us by a last minute TD. Why didn't we get there then with a great special teams and a number one in the league defense?
See you give Rex too much credit..

And to answer your question about the other great defenses not being able to advance with "shit QBs"..It's simple..they had no running game. You think its a coincidence that Thomas Jones left and now the Bears offense was stagnant? I told you that would happen back when you were posting under Bears07. Only problem is you hyped up Rex into soem kind of elite QB that he isn't..He was carried last year by defense , special teams and a good running attack. Think Im making this up? Then answer this...What happened this year? Running game wasn't good and the defense wasn't good....Yet YOU told me that Rex is an elite Qb who through the passing attack would open up the run game..REMEMBER THAT? Hell you even said he was going to go down as one of the "great QBs of all-time"...Give me a break...he won't amount to a pimple on a real QBs ass.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Mike Brown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Does Kobe Bryant Attract or Repel Potential LA ... May '14 Lukeblack 1
Cavaliers believe they can make playoffsCavalie... Mar '14 Freda Johnson 2
Phil Jackson to advise Pistons on coaching hire (May '13) Aug '13 Raj Human at Nature 2
Lakers Notebook: Bernie Bickerstaff, Chuck Pers... (May '13) May '13 Bill R 2
No Re-Phil: Los Angeles Lakers Hire Mike D'Anto... (Nov '12) Nov '12 j perez 1
Lakers' Championship Hopes Depend On How Well T... (Oct '12) Oct '12 Heatpeat 2
Have we found Planet X? (Mar '11) Mar '11 Nibiru 1

Search the Mike Brown Forum:
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••