No substitute for depth

Sometimes it just comes down to shooting. Oops! The Pacers' Danny Granger loses the ball as he tries to pass around Bucks defender Michael Ruffin during the first half. Full Story
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
RichardNixon

United States

#61 Jan 25, 2008
steve wrote:
<quoted text>Please! Carlisle a great coach! Hahahaha!!! So why is he not still coaching somewhere, anywhere?
Because he (rightfully) chose to relax and recover his senses after the ridiculous and taxing experience that LARRY BIRD (and co.= Bird's cast of thugs) put him through. He could've EASILY been coaching this season had he wanted to. Rick made the right decision to wait until he feels comfortable in a situation that will be NOTHING like Bird's Pacers.
RichardNixon

United States

#62 Jan 25, 2008
MJK wrote:
I would like to welcome you to Indiana. No one is firing Larry Bird in Indiana.
<quoted text>
Says ye from CHICAGO.
Season is over

Jeffersonville, IN

#63 Jan 25, 2008
Keep Granger, Rush and Foster. Those are the only three players that play hard on both sides of the ball. Dunleavy never, ever plays defense because he is too busy cherry picking and too slow to stay in front of his man. Tinsley does not play defense because it requires effort and he is lazy. O'Neal plays defense in all 6 games he is not hurt in a season. Murphy has the worst contract in Pacers history. No one has ever worn a Pacers' uniform getting paid more money for less talent.
If Bird can not get rid of this group of losers than he needs to be fired. The Pacers need to bring in someone that understands both basketball and finance to run this team.
Jesus F Christ

South Vienna, OH

#64 Jan 25, 2008
Yeah Right wrote:
<quoted text>No way - Bird has been the front man for the past 5 years. All the crap that's been going on - Bird has been the face of the organization. You're wrong and need to go with Bird.
It is too bad for you that the Internet archives stories (linked below). Both Pacers.com and IndyStar.com posted stories regarding Bird taking over the decision making (I couldn't access IndyStar's).

As listed in the story w/ quotes, this season was the first time Larry stood alone at the top w/o Donnie Walsh being a major part of the decision making process.

Just because he has been a face of the organization since 1997 doesn't mean he should take all of this blame.

Most importantly, you are absolutely wrong and are the reason why Indianapolis known as a band-wagon town.

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/bird_walsh_071...
for starters

Indianapolis, IN

#65 Jan 25, 2008
Let's start with Tinsley and Daniels and the JO is a lazy whiner.
steve wrote:
<quoted text>What doper thugs are you talking about stupid! Love to make generalizations don't you.
tell me

Indianapolis, IN

#66 Jan 25, 2008
They rule what??? the strip bars and the gun shows...
oldady wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps you don't care, but I do. The Indiana Pacers RULE! ARGH, Argh, Argh. Go Pacers!
Somebody please

United States

#67 Jan 25, 2008
Explain to me why on earth you would take your family to a Pacers game, instead of an IUPUI, Butler, UIndy, or Marian game. Please explain this to me.
Jesus F Christ

South Vienna, OH

#68 Jan 25, 2008
Somebody please wrote:
Explain to me why on earth you would take your family to a Pacers game, instead of an IUPUI, Butler, UIndy, or Marian game. Please explain this to me.
In terms of IUPUI, you may want to ask their own students why they don't go. Excluding Hunter's recent PR move -- which was great -- no one goes to see the Jags play.

Pacers may be inconsistent, but their fast-paced offense is more fun than IUPUI, UIndy and Marian, especially against teams like the Suns or Golden State.

Butler basketball is fun to watch right now, though I can't stand how they always just pass the basketball out of the paint to the perimeter instead of taking a high percentage shot. I realize they are great shooters and short, but at some point you're going to have to learn how to make a 5 to 10 footer or you won't go very far.

If you're playing the moral card, then you should stop. Players from Marian consistently get in trouble. College basketball players (as college students) tend to get themselves in negative situations (go to Howl at the Moon on Fridays, or Conner's on Saturday to see your Butler players getting a bit rowdy).

This doesn't rationalize any Pacers player behavior, but it just gets old hearing the moral card.

And if you're looking for something for the family, nothing compares to Conseco. Hinkle is obviously great, but it isn't kid friendly.
Tinzley

Marysville, OH

#69 Jan 26, 2008
oldady wrote:
First and foremost I love the Indiana Pacers. But, I have a question. Why do you, the Pacers, run back to the other end of the court when someone shoots the ball. Stay around to see if it is going in or not. Try to get the rebound. You could get several more points if you would stick around. I know O'Brien wants a fast pace game, but you still need to get rebounds. Jeff Foster sticks around and this is why he gets so many rebounds. He also gets back down court just as soon as anyone else does.
Stick around get rebounds. Get into the paint to shoot. Three point shots are wonderful, but you don't have a real great average for them. If someone is hot shooting them, then go for it, but otherwise don't.
Guys you are looking up and I know that you can do it. So, hand in there and get the job done. Good bless the Indiana Pacers!!!
You are confused. What you request is fundamental basketball which doesn't exist in the NBA thug league.
Jesus F Christ

South Vienna, OH

#70 Jan 26, 2008
Tinzley wrote:
<quoted text>
You are confused. What you request is fundamental basketball which doesn't exist in the NBA thug league.
I'd love to hear how it is fundamental for the shortest guys on the court to attempt to get a defensive rebound (especially if he's a poor rebounder) instead of moving up the court. If the player makes it, then they can quickly move up the court. If the player misses it, then they'll most likely get the rebound and then do the same thing (move up quickly).

There's a reason why Jeff Foster is in the game -- he gets rebounds.

Butler University does the same thing. I'd love to hear you call them thugs. Your problem is you're a racist, so you don't think clearly or argue logically.
IPS graduates 46 percent

Greens Fork, IN

#71 Jan 26, 2008
Jesus F Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
I'd love to hear how it is fundamental for the shortest guys on the court to attempt to get a defensive rebound (especially if he's a poor rebounder) instead of moving up the court. If the player makes it, then they can quickly move up the court. If the player misses it, then they'll most likely get the rebound and then do the same thing (move up quickly).
There's a reason why Jeff Foster is in the game -- he gets rebounds.
Butler University does the same thing. I'd love to hear you call them thugs. Your problem is you're a racist, so you don't think clearly or argue logically.
And youíre calling this poster dumb. Interesting. You brought up Butlerís rebounding, correct? If Butler does the exact same thing as the Pacers, why on earth is Mike Green the second on the team in rebounds per game? He averages 6.0 rebounds per game. The team leader (Matt Howard) averages 6.1! Greenís 6 rebounds a game are good for 14th in the conference.

Would you care to explain to the audience the fundamentals of rebounding on long shots and how having the guards leak out too quickly can actually cause easier transition opportunities for the opponent? You do of course realize that a rebound for a three point shot will careen off the rim farther from the hoop than say a 10 ft jumper? You of course also realize that the Pacers are third in the NBA in three pointers attempted? That translates into longer rebounds just in case you havenít figured that out yet.

Oh thatís right you have no idea what you are talking about unless itís on SportsCenter or TNTís NBA program.
Jesus F Christ

South Vienna, OH

#72 Jan 26, 2008
IPS graduates 46 percent wrote:
<quoted text>
And youíre calling this poster dumb. Interesting. You brought up Butlerís rebounding, correct? If Butler does the exact same thing as the Pacers, why on earth is Mike Green the second on the team in rebounds per game? He averages 6.0 rebounds per game. The team leader (Matt Howard) averages 6.1! Greenís 6 rebounds a game are good for 14th in the conference.
Would you care to explain to the audience the fundamentals of rebounding on long shots and how having the guards leak out too quickly can actually cause easier transition opportunities for the opponent? You do of course realize that a rebound for a three point shot will careen off the rim farther from the hoop than say a 10 ft jumper? You of course also realize that the Pacers are third in the NBA in three pointers attempted? That translates into longer rebounds just in case you havenít figured that out yet.
Oh thatís right you have no idea what you are talking about unless itís on SportsCenter or TNTís NBA program.
Butler shoots an incredible amount of 3-pointers. Mike Green gets a lot of rebounds because he's usually on the perimeter when those shots are taken, and as you pointed out, missed 3-pointers tend to brick out farther than a 10-footer (which, even for a non-player, is intuitive. I didn't realize we needed to make sure to point out every element of common sense).

You're right. No player should run up the court when a 3-pointer is shot. I didn't say that. Keep in mind the majority of Pacers shots aren't 3-pointers. They are 2-pointers. I know this because I attend or watch most games. Also, keep in mind the Pacers don't get much SportsCenter coverage, nor do have they been on a national broadcast on TNT. But, you're right... I did get that knowledge from watching the Pacers get all of the national love.

One more note -- comparing Butler rebounds in relative terms doesn't make sense because they aren't a rebounding team. But, you are the stats guy, IPS hater, so why don't you "explain to the audience" how impressive it really is to have your top rebounder average 6 per game?
steve

Fishers, IN

#73 Jan 28, 2008
for starters wrote:
Let's start with Tinsley and Daniels and the JO is a lazy whiner.<quoted text>
Two players on a roster of 15 plus, what percentage is that? Like I said you like to make generalizations. JO is an injured player, it happens in sports stupid.
Yeah Right

Indianapolis, IN

#74 Jan 28, 2008
Jesus F Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
It is too bad for you that the Internet archives stories (linked below). Both Pacers.com and IndyStar.com posted stories regarding Bird taking over the decision making (I couldn't access IndyStar's).
As listed in the story w/ quotes, this season was the first time Larry stood alone at the top w/o Donnie Walsh being a major part of the decision making process.
Just because he has been a face of the organization since 1997 doesn't mean he should take all of this blame.
Most importantly, you are absolutely wrong and are the reason why Indianapolis known as a band-wagon town.
http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/bird_walsh_071...
Get over yourself - band wagon! I refuse to support a team that doesn't represent my city and state in a respectful way. In addition - the company itself (that would be the Pacers) take no responsibility for its personnel. Most (if not all - I guess with the exception of the police department)organizations would terminate its employees for shoot'n up the town and the other illegal acts. It would be one thing if the team was just losing - but I'm considering the other actions. The Simons should sell the team to someone that actually cares.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Michael Redd Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Phoenix Suns facing big decisions, looking for ... (Jun '12) Jun '12 CarverSucks 1
Why Michael Redd Should Never Play for the Milw... (May '10) Jun '10 matt 2
Choose Best Single-Season Performance In Ohio S... (Feb '10) Mar '10 luckyduffer 54 9
Chris Mannix: Bucks keep sights set on 2011 (Feb '10) Feb '10 Pete Saas 1
Orlando Magic vs. Milwaukee Bucks live blog (Jan '10) Jan '10 Maroussia 1
Dallas Mavericks trade former Gopher Kris Humph... (Jan '10) Jan '10 Hmmmmmmmmmm 2
NBA: Cavs coast over Bucks | The Columbus Dispatch (Dec '09) Dec '09 Darin Smith 2

Michael Redd People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE