No substitute for depth

There are 74 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Jan 25, 2008, titled No substitute for depth. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

Sometimes it just comes down to shooting. Oops! The Pacers' Danny Granger loses the ball as he tries to pass around Bucks defender Michael Ruffin during the first half.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
PLAYA

Fishers, IN

#1 Jan 25, 2008
This city has painfully watched this team go from being very good to being very bad and IT WILL NOT CHANGE UNTIL LARRY BIRD IS GONE
Playa Hater

Indianapolis, IN

#2 Jan 25, 2008
Most of you hate Playa, but he is right!
CapinIndy

Marysville, OH

#3 Jan 25, 2008
Why does it seem like they write the same thing every time the Pacers are in the paper? Just print the same column for the remainder of the season. The Pacers are going nowhere.
outside the box

Matthews, IN

#4 Jan 25, 2008
Most of us do not care...the NBA simply sucks. These days, it is truly more entertaining to go watch a high school game.
george

Milwaukee, WI

#5 Jan 25, 2008
Butler is a good place to go watch a game - they play within the NCAA rules, graduate 92%, have no bar fights, have no druggies, don't make millions per year, don't drive real fancy cars Oh yeah, that is boring.
Jesus F Christ

South Vienna, OH

#6 Jan 25, 2008
Playa Hater wrote:
Most of you hate Playa, but he is right!
If you or your boy knew anything, then you'd know Larry Bird just took over as the decision maker on the basketball team. Donnie Walsh was this person through last season.

People don't like Playa because he's usually wrong.
PLAYA

Fishers, IN

#7 Jan 25, 2008
george wrote:
Butler is a good place to go watch a game - they play within the NCAA rules, graduate 92%, have no bar fights, have no druggies, don't make millions per year, don't drive real fancy cars Oh yeah, that is boring.
YES Butler is like watching paint dry
reality check

Louisville, KY

#8 Jan 25, 2008
On a night when the starters are worn down and the injury list is swelling, Harrison still does not play because of coach's decision. Hey, Harrison, smell the coffee, dude... you better better start posting your resume on Monster jobs because you are speeding toward a career change. Repeat after me... "You want fries with that?"
Still hanging in there

Evansville, IN

#9 Jan 25, 2008
Jesus F Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
If you or your boy knew anything, then you'd know Larry Bird just took over as the decision maker on the basketball team. Donnie Walsh was this person through last season.
People don't like Playa because he's usually wrong.
Bird has been making the decisions for the last 4 years with Walsh looking over his shoulders. It was his idea to fire Isiah and bring in his buddy Carlisle. Larry's grace period is long over and I consider this team to be his mess. JO being constantly injured along with his salary makes him vertually untradeable and hopefully he will opt out this coming offseason. That is the Pacers only hope. Lets see if Larry can fix this mess before the entire fanbase stops spending $$.
huh

Louisville, KY

#10 Jan 25, 2008
Still hanging in there wrote:
<quoted text>Bird has been making the decisions for the last 4 years with Walsh looking over his shoulders. It was his idea to fire Isiah and bring in his buddy Carlisle. Larry's grace period is long over and I consider this team to be his mess. JO being constantly injured along with his salary makes him vertually untradeable and hopefully he will opt out this coming offseason. That is the Pacers only hope. Lets see if Larry can fix this mess before the entire fanbase stops spending $$.
If you're implying that it was a mistake to fire Isiah, you are nuts. Carlisle is/was a great coach who was very much responsible for Bird's success as "coach" of the Pacers. And don't forget what the W/L record was before the Brawl. The team was headed for a championship.

In the end Carlisle just couldn't mesh with the cast of losers and head cases Isiah assembled. Bird's failure has been his inability to be a man and put his foot up several of his players' asses. It's a pretty sad state of affairs when the guys cashing the check have more horsepower then the guys writing the checks. The tail is wagging the dog at Conseco.
Not a fan.
Babyfaced assassin

Indianapolis, IN

#11 Jan 25, 2008
PLAYA wrote:
This city has painfully watched this team go from being very good to being very bad and IT WILL NOT CHANGE UNTIL LARRY BIRD IS GONE
There are a few positives....Granger and Dunleavy have stepped up and became excellent scoring options, Rush and Diener have turned into quality backups,

Now all we need is a true point guard, and one presence in the post.
Good

Indianapolis, IN

#12 Jan 25, 2008
These losses are good.. let them lose and then get a lottery pick. It's the only way they're going to escape mediocrity in the coming seasons. I do agree that Bird and his money pit JO should go. Enough's enough.
george

Highland, MI

#13 Jan 25, 2008
Babyfaced assassin wrote:
<quoted text>
There are a few positives....Granger and Dunleavy have stepped up and became excellent scoring options, Rush and Diener have turned into quality backups,
Now all we need is a true point guard, and one presence in the post.
I'll go watch paint dry by a class organization.
Jay

Indianapolis, IN

#14 Jan 25, 2008
Well it could be worse, at least we're not the Miami Heat.
george

Highland, MI

#15 Jan 25, 2008
PLAYA wrote:
<quoted text>YES Butler is like watching paint dry
Let me see, paint drying or a bunch of doper thugs, hhhhhmmmmmmmm
supercolts

Danville, IN

#16 Jan 25, 2008
I am still watching these Pacer games and i am already looking at next year. If we have a good draft and maybe trade JO and or Tinsley for some picks or maybe some younger talent I think we would be in much better shape. I would build a team around Dunleavy, granger, Williams, Diener, Rush, Foster, and maybe Daniels...But add a couple of good players with that group and I think our team would be better
Truth

Louisville, KY

#17 Jan 25, 2008
supercolts wrote:
I am still watching these Pacer games and i am already looking at next year. If we have a good draft and maybe trade JO and or Tinsley for some picks or maybe some younger talent I think we would be in much better shape. I would build a team around Dunleavy, granger, Williams, Diener, Rush, Foster, and maybe Daniels...But add a couple of good players with that group and I think our team would be better
Yeah and if we had Steve Nash and Kobe and Ray Allen and Paul Pierce etc. we'd probably be better, too. We are never going to trade Tinsley and JO because nobody is going to give us anything for them. Our future is to improve by attrition and draft. Hopefully the brain trust (and I use that term loosely) will let the big contracts go when they are up. By then we'll have several high draft picks in camp and a bunch of cap space to get one or two big free agents. That will be the only way we turn around but it's going to take several more years. Isiah left us in a hole that is almost impossible to crawl out of. We virtually have to die before we can be reborn.
steve

Fishers, IN

#18 Jan 25, 2008
huh wrote:
<quoted text>
If you're implying that it was a mistake to fire Isiah, you are nuts. Carlisle is/was a great coach who was very much responsible for Bird's success as "coach" of the Pacers. And don't forget what the W/L record was before the Brawl. The team was headed for a championship.
In the end Carlisle just couldn't mesh with the cast of losers and head cases Isiah assembled. Bird's failure has been his inability to be a man and put his foot up several of his players' asses. It's a pretty sad state of affairs when the guys cashing the check have more horsepower then the guys writing the checks. The tail is wagging the dog at Conseco.
Not a fan.
Please! Carlisle a great coach! Hahahaha!!! So why is he not still coaching somewhere, anywhere?
steve

Fishers, IN

#19 Jan 25, 2008
george wrote:
<quoted text>
Let me see, paint drying or a bunch of doper thugs, hhhhhmmmmmmmm
What doper thugs are you talking about stupid! Love to make generalizations don't you.
Still hanging in there

Evansville, IN

#20 Jan 25, 2008
huh wrote:
<quoted text>
Not a fan.
I'm saying Isiah being fired was Bird's decision to show how long he has been the/a decision maker. I'm not a fan of Carlisle or Isiah as head coaches. Isiah, like Bird, isn't a good decision maker from a personnel standpoint. Carlisle is a good X/O guy but has zero personality to run a team.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Michael Redd Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Phoenix Suns facing big decisions, looking for ... (Jun '12) Jun '12 CarverSucks 1
News Why Michael Redd Should Never Play for the Milw... (May '10) Jun '10 matt 2
News Choose Best Single-Season Performance In Ohio S... (Feb '10) Mar '10 luckyduffer 54 9
News Chris Mannix: Bucks keep sights set on 2011 (Feb '10) Feb '10 Pete Saas 1
News Orlando Magic vs. Milwaukee Bucks live blog (Jan '10) Jan '10 Maroussia 1
News Dallas Mavericks trade former Gopher Kris Humph... (Jan '10) Jan '10 Hmmmmmmmmmm 2
News NBA: Cavs coast over Bucks | The Columbus Dispatch (Dec '09) Dec '09 Darin Smith 2
More from around the web