Orlando Magic sign GM Otis Smith to c...

Orlando Magic sign GM Otis Smith to contract extension -- Baske...

There are 31 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Jun 2, 2008, titled Orlando Magic sign GM Otis Smith to contract extension -- Baske.... In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

Before last season began, General Manager Otis Smith mailed a postcard to every player, coach and basketball operations employee with the Orlando Magic .

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
wright -obama - flegler

Orange Park, FL

#1 Jun 2, 2008
its racial
Dan

San Antonio, TX

#2 Jun 2, 2008
How about we just keep updating the article so all the comments disappear...again. Do not rest on your laurels Otis, you still have ALOT of work to do in order to make us a true contender. Post cards with trophies dont mean shiat!

Since: May 07

Tavares, FL

#3 Jun 2, 2008
wright -obama - flegler wrote:
its racial
You're stupid!
failures

San Antonio, TX

#4 Jun 2, 2008
"I don't look at those picks as failures," he said. "J.J. will have a role in this league. Vazquez, when he puts on a Magic uniform, will be in a better situation than when he would have come originally."

JJ will have a role in this league??? It may not be with the magic!! We wasted a draft pick.

When Vazquez puts on a magic uniform??? I heard he want to come and play for the magic b/c he's Spaniard team don't play him enough! and he wants to play for the most competitive league in the world??? another waste
dee

El Paso, TX

#5 Jun 2, 2008
deez i'd agree with you on that guy.

as for the future i'd say resign mo evans and/ or keyon dooling. draft courtney lee at 22 send jj redick out in a trade for a draft pick in the second round and see what power forward is left in the second round. and please no more international players we have 2 more picks that are out in the interational teams (last years pick, and vazquez).

main players i'd look at is dorsey, brambaugh, ewing jr or any other good pf at whatever spot you get.
Dan

San Antonio, TX

#6 Jun 2, 2008
failures wrote:
"I don't look at those picks as failures," he said. "J.J. will have a role in this league. Vazquez, when he puts on a Magic uniform, will be in a better situation than when he would have come originally."
JJ will have a role in this league??? It may not be with the magic!! We wasted a draft pick.
When Vazquez puts on a magic uniform??? I heard he want to come and play for the magic b/c he's Spaniard team don't play him enough! and he wants to play for the most competitive league in the world??? another waste
Agreed...our drafting through the years, and even moreso recently, has been absolutely atrocious outside of the #1 overall. I mean just think, if we had drafted granger we wouldnt have had to shell out $118M for Rashard Lewis and could have gotten a PG (Billips) and another solid role player.

This team has absolutely no assets, never does, and constantly has to trade away talent to make up for idiotic moves...see Mike Miller, Matt Harpring, and more recently Trevor Ariza. I could do a better job than Twardzik btw...he passed on KG in GS for Todd Fuller and then passed on Kobe the following year. Doesnt say much for his eye for talent...what a moron!
Dan

San Antonio, TX

#7 Jun 2, 2008
dee wrote:
deez i'd agree with you on that guy.
as for the future i'd say resign mo evans and/ or keyon dooling. draft courtney lee at 22 send jj redick out in a trade for a draft pick in the second round and see what power forward is left in the second round. and please no more international players we have 2 more picks that are out in the interational teams (last years pick, and vazquez).
main players i'd look at is dorsey, brambaugh, ewing jr or any other good pf at whatever spot you get.
Courtney Lee is not even close to worthy of the #22 pick, there are far more talented players that will be available there...of course we'll probably take Lee anyways. He is a late first round to early second round. A better plan would be CDR or Rush at 22 and Dorsey with an early second rounder obtained on draft night.
Tre

Omaha, NE

#8 Jun 3, 2008
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed...our drafting through the years, and even moreso recently, has been absolutely atrocious outside of the #1 overall. I mean just think, if we had drafted granger we wouldnt have had to shell out $118M for Rashard Lewis and could have gotten a PG (Billips) and another solid role player.
Granger would not have been able to play PF like Lewis did this past year, and you are dreaming if you think Chauncey would have left Detroit.
LMAO

AOL

#9 Jun 3, 2008
"I don't look at those picks as failures," he said. "J.J. will have role in this league."

I'd like to thank Mr.Smith for the hint that JJ can get out of Orlando and play ball where they know how to use his talent.

I think Mr.Smith's Championship Trophy postcards are his pipe dream.
There is No Way Orlando can challenge for the title for at least 5 more years. They dont have the money and certainly not the talent to contend. Based on Mr.Smith's opinion that 2nd team backups (ala Evans, Bogans, Dolling) and 3rd team scrubs (ala everyone else else but Howard) can make you a winner in this league isn't dealing with reality.

I'll be pleased to buy whatever package that's available to be able to watch some real basketball talent next fall.
Not including Dwight's dunks, or Hedo & Lewis missing 3's, or Jameer messing up in any game he plays in.

:)
dee

El Paso, TX

#10 Jun 3, 2008
all three draft prospects he's looking at are good second rounders, 22 first round pick should be either courtney lee or brandon rush or lester hudson.
dee

El Paso, TX

#11 Jun 3, 2008
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Courtney Lee is not even close to worthy of the #22 pick, there are far more talented players that will be available there...of course we'll probably take Lee anyways. He is a late first round to early second round. A better plan would be CDR or Rush at 22 and Dorsey with an early second rounder obtained on draft night.
well to me he's an upperclass man (showing maturity) i think cdr is a underclass man (ill check the stats at that). C LEE is also a defensive mind (better than nelson) combo guard but a better ball handler(than keyon dooling. if any of them opt to be free agents and look for more money this year from other teams taking an sf like cdr would be a mistake because who would we have to replace keyon dooling or any of the sgs nobody and please dont say jj reddick because he can't creat his own shot.besides he's gonna be traded. and as most of us know we really dont have a pg or sg thats actualy a starter they would all mostly be back ups. so either brandon rush, Courtney Lee or lester Hudson would be the better choices
Bob Loblaw

Athens, TN

#12 Jun 3, 2008
This summer is an important one for the Magic. Otis has shown he can throw money at players, now he must be able to use what money they have wisely and get value for their dollar. The draft is crucial also. They have 2 players to show for in the last 4 years of the draft not counting JJ or Gortat. I agree with drafting CDR or Rush.
Also, we must get a proven big to help Howard down low. Battie and Cook are serviceable, but a more physical presence down there would take some of the pressure off D12.
oops

Orlando, FL

#13 Jun 3, 2008
LMAO wrote:
"I don't look at those picks as failures," he said. "J.J. will have role in this league."
I'd like to thank Mr.Smith for the hint that JJ can get out of Orlando and play ball where they know how to use his talent.
I think Mr.Smith's Championship Trophy postcards are his pipe dream.
There is No Way Orlando can challenge for the title for at least 5 more years. They dont have the money and certainly not the talent to contend. Based on Mr.Smith's opinion that 2nd team backups (ala Evans, Bogans, Dolling) and 3rd team scrubs (ala everyone else else but Howard) can make you a winner in this league isn't dealing with reality.
I'll be pleased to buy whatever package that's available to be able to watch some real basketball talent next fall.
Not including Dwight's dunks, or Hedo & Lewis missing 3's, or Jameer messing up in any game he plays in.
:)
Contrary to what you think and have posted here, the Magic for the most part are fun and entertaining to watch. They lack maturity and that only comes with time. They in my opinion and it is just that, my opinion, they are only one good player away from having a really great team. I don't know what you were watching, but as a season ticket holder, I can't wait to see them back on the court again!
LMAO

AOL

#14 Jun 5, 2008
oops wrote:
<quoted text>
Contrary to what you think and have posted here, the Magic for the most part are fun and entertaining to watch. They lack maturity and that only comes with time. They in my opinion and it is just that, my opinion, they are only one good player away from having a really great team. I don't know what you were watching, but as a season ticket holder, I can't wait to see them back on the court again!
If your opinion is that: Nelson is a point guard and an NBA starter...and that 2nd rate backup players like Dooling, Evans, Bogans, Cook, Gortat, Battie, Augustine, Garrity are all good enough to make the Magic a title contender... then your opinion is fine but totally ridiculous.

Add that to having a GM that's completely lost in his job requirements, a coach with 5 years experience, that has only had 2 years worth a hoot in his life...one at Miami and i'll say this years 52 wins.

Enjoy your ticket. But dont plan on seeing any Finals playoff caliber games anytime soon.
Cocoa Beach Fan

United States

#15 Jun 5, 2008
LMAO wrote:
<quoted text>
If your opinion is that: Nelson is a point guard and an NBA starter...and that 2nd rate backup players like Dooling, Evans, Bogans, Cook, Gortat, Battie, Augustine, Garrity are all good enough to make the Magic a title contender... then your opinion is fine but totally ridiculous.
Add that to having a GM that's completely lost in his job requirements, a coach with 5 years experience, that has only had 2 years worth a hoot in his life...one at Miami and i'll say this years 52 wins.
Enjoy your ticket. But dont plan on seeing any Finals playoff caliber games anytime soon.
If Bogans, Evans, Cook, and Battie are 2nd Rate backup players, wow what does that make JJ???? At least they all PROVED they deserve minutes. Not just one NBA coach, but two NBA coaches did not give him minutes. What are you missing here?
LMAO

AOL

#16 Jun 5, 2008
I'm not missing the fact that Redick had 2 injuries his 1st. year and didn't deserve much more than some minutes in mop-up.
Besides that his coach then had a penchant for making everyone play the game he wanted them to play and did not excerise any leeway in HIS plan. Which made him a Fired Loser.

What i'm not missing here is that JJ worked his a** off, proved he was the best player in summer league last year and was advised that he would get minutes this year. The advisers were both Otis & StanVan. It was BS. They went out and got backup players that cant even defend the players they backed up, such as Evans cant even guard Hamilton who he was back up for.

It's immaterial... JJ isn't playing summer league and is going to be traded so Otis can move up in the draft.
They didn't give the kid a chance even though they both say he will succeed in the league. Good for them! The Magic dont need JJ so quit trying to make out he isn't good enough.
Everyone from the GM down knows he is an excellent player. They just dont have the cahoneys too try and develop him and run plays (picks) for him like other teams do for their offensive weapons.

Just forget your Magic team...they wont be anything more than a 11th or 12th place team. JJ said he would rather play for Anyone than to sit on the bench for a team that doesnt need him.

Did I miss anything?
jordan

United States

#17 Jun 5, 2008
Otis does not have the Magic touch that Midas had. If you listen to him, you might believe he has discovered oil in the badlands! No, the Magic's "core" does not measure up to the Pistons' or Celtics'. Sorry, Otis, nobody who has two bits of intelligence can believe your foolish words. Why don't you just shut up and try to do a better job instead?
big vern

Ocala, FL

#18 Jun 5, 2008
otis smith kissing up to the boss is good and everyone does it once in a while, but you are a spineless coward. your drafting and re signing players stinks and i hope jameer the queer sticks up for you when your time comes.....idiots...
gth

Longwood, FL

#19 Jun 5, 2008
Been a fan since day 1. As long as we have vander dweebe in charge, we will never, never get a championship. It pains me to say that, but it's the truth. This guy does not learn from his mistakes, so he/we are destine to repeat them. We already have.
Aliquippawill

Lakeland, FL

#20 Jun 6, 2008
I sincerely hope that the Magic add a true Power-Forward to their line-up for the upcomming season, for that is where I feel their most obvious need appears to be. Someone to help Howard "in the paint" with the rebounding and "dirty work". Turkoglu and Lewis are both "Small" forwards who are at their best outside the perimeter, as opposed to posting up down low. An upgrade in the 2-Guard position would help also.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Maurice Evans Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Hawks power past slumping Pacers (Jan '11) Jan '11 ipodman98 1
Maurice Evans girlfriend (Jun '07) Aug '10 Kristin 28
News Dr. Trade: One Trade, Two Fixes for the Suns an... (Aug '09) Aug '09 krishawn 1
News Dwyane Wade feeling better, Heat feeling disres... (Apr '09) May '09 kenny 49
News Magic trade Dooling for salary-cap room (Jul '08) Jul '08 Mike Bianchi 73
News J.J. Redick acknowledges dim future with Orland... (Jul '08) Jul '08 Skeezix 118
News Orlando Magic could sign former Gator Jason Wil... (Jul '08) Jul '08 magic_fan 38
More from around the web