The Orlando Magic trade Trevor Ariza ...

The Orlando Magic trade Trevor Ariza to the Lakers for power fo...

There are 73 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Nov 21, 2007, titled The Orlando Magic trade Trevor Ariza to the Lakers for power fo.... In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

Trevor Ariza became the odd-man out of the Orlando Magic's plans after a fateful chain of events.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Shine

Palm Bay, FL

#1 Nov 21, 2007
This is horrible.
Slim

Palm Coast, FL

#2 Nov 21, 2007
The Magic start 10-2 and they still find a way to disappoint me.

Why can't we trade one of our 10 Guards? Bogans, Dooling, Nelson, Arroyo, Reddick

Can we really not get rid of Garrity's expiring contract?

Ariza will end up being better than all of them at the end of the day.

Ariza has the potential to turn into a healthy T Mac and I am sure he will with Kobe by his side.

This is a shame and I will be angry once again in 5 years when Ariza turns into another player we gave away for nothing, Like Billups and Wallace.
Slim

Palm Coast, FL

#3 Nov 21, 2007
On Another note, great job trading him for two worthless players as well, god what an awful trade
Slim

Palm Coast, FL

#4 Nov 21, 2007
They waive Bo outlaw as well.... the heart and soul of our team for almost a decade. Bo was a leader in the locker room, with the amount of youth we had on this team. The more I read about this trade the worst it gets.
RORSCHACH

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#5 Nov 21, 2007
stupid stupid stupid stupid

stupid stupid stupid stupid
Fan in Baltimore

Baltimore, MD

#6 Nov 21, 2007
Slim wrote:
Ariza has the potential to turn into a healthy T Mac and I am sure he will with Kobe by his side.
Really? Ariza had no outside shot. He's a great player, and I'm sad to see him go, but the point is this: the Magic are a great team at the moment, Ariza was seldom played, and the Magic need another big to board or else they're not getting to the second round of the playoffs.

Also, I like the idea of keeping the expiring contracts through the season so that we can go shopping afterward.
what the

United States

#7 Nov 21, 2007
another typical otis move chill and have a turkey slim
Rmel

Kissimmee, FL

#8 Nov 21, 2007
You guys are retarded. This is a great basketball move for our team. If you understand what our team need you will see this was a very smart trade. Our exeption expired the 12th - Ariza was the most attractive - he didn't fit in the new system. Which by the way seems to be working.

Cook is a big that can shoot and Evans brings energy at the 2 or 3.

Exactly what our team needed.

This is why it was a good move.

10-2

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#9 Nov 21, 2007
Fan in Baltimore wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? Ariza had no outside shot. He's a great player, and I'm sad to see him go, but the point is this: the Magic are a great team at the moment, Ariza was seldom played, and the Magic need another big to board or else they're not getting to the second round of the playoffs.
Also, I like the idea of keeping the expiring contracts through the season so that we can go shopping afterward.
The expiring deals of Garrity, Arroyo and Dooling will not bring Orlando far enough under the cap to chase a marquee free agent - we will still be in the mid-level region. The only way to fully capitalise on them is to trade them to a team that is rebuilding. Around the trade deadline, there is always one or two teams whose season has gone horribly wrong, and who decide to rebuild. Those teams will be looking to trade veterans with guaranteed deals for expiring contracts. If the right deal comes along, Orlando needs to be ready.

Location hidden

#10 Nov 21, 2007
Trevor Ariza, as much as I am a fan of his, would not have become a marquee player for Orlando. Those of you who think that four or five years from now we will be looking at a great player who Orlando got little in return for, are living in dreamland.

For Ariza to fully realise his potential, first and foremost he needs playing time. He was not getting that in Orlando, and there seemed to be little prospect of him breaking into the rotation, because he is a three, playing behind two other small forwards with vastly more complete games. If he stayed in Orlando for the next 4 years, he would not become a 'great' player. He may do elsewhere, but that is sports for you. If he is an All-Star for another team in 2012, just remember that he would not have had the chance to become that player in Orlando. We could have kept him, and he would likely have become another role player in SVGs system.
Slim

Palm Coast, FL

#11 Nov 21, 2007
Mitchell UK wrote:
Trevor Ariza, as much as I am a fan of his, would not have become a marquee player for Orlando. Those of you who think that four or five years from now we will be looking at a great player who Orlando got little in return for, are living in dreamland.
For Ariza to fully realise his potential, first and foremost he needs playing time. He was not getting that in Orlando, and there seemed to be little prospect of him breaking into the rotation, because he is a three, playing behind two other small forwards with vastly more complete games. If he stayed in Orlando for the next 4 years, he would not become a 'great' player. He may do elsewhere, but that is sports for you. If he is an All-Star for another team in 2012, just remember that he would not have had the chance to become that player in Orlando. We could have kept him, and he would likely have become another role player in SVGs system.
Why couldn't he be our starting shooting guard now. We have our scorers in Hedo, Dwight, Rashard on the court, Nelson to dish the ball, and Ariza (who was one of our best defenders) to guard the other teams best player (or to pick up Nelson's lack of an ability to defend)
Bob Rockledge

United States

#12 Nov 21, 2007
I would have traded Turkoglu before Ariza. We need defenders more than shooters. Since Foyle is a stiff I see the need for trade, just not this one.
JGJ

Melbourne, FL

#13 Nov 21, 2007
Rmel wrote:
You guys are retarded. This is a great basketball move for our team. If you understand what our team need you will see this was a very smart trade. Our exeption expired the 12th - Ariza was the most attractive - he didn't fit in the new system. Which by the way seems to be working.
Cook is a big that can shoot and Evans brings energy at the 2 or 3.
Exactly what our team needed.
This is why it was a good move.
10-2
Exactly! This was a great move for the Magic and the organization as a whole. Cook brings depth to the front line and Evans adds a defender and solid point production to the backcourt.

Location hidden

#14 Nov 21, 2007
Slim wrote:
<quoted text>
Why couldn't he be our starting shooting guard now. We have our scorers in Hedo, Dwight, Rashard on the court, Nelson to dish the ball, and Ariza (who was one of our best defenders) to guard the other teams best player (or to pick up Nelson's lack of an ability to defend)
Ask Stan Van Gundy. But I would hazard a guess that it was his lack of a consistent jumper, which is important in SVGs system, and the fact that SVG considers Keith Bogans to be Orlando's best perimeter defender, followed by Ariza.

Simple fact was that Ariza was behind two guys at Small Forward - Turk and Lewis - and two guys at Shooting Guard - Bogans and Dooling. If he is not going to get minutes, the best option is to trade him for pieces who are more likely to contribute.
Questionable Move

Palm Bay, FL

#15 Nov 21, 2007
We should have made a move to sign Chris Webber with the exception. Next season we have Battie back and who know's, Vasquez may be here in the next couple of years. We mortgaged our future by trading Trevor just to fill a void that will be for this season only. What do we do next season? Hunt for the next Ariza all over again when these 2 bench guys with little to no potential are of no use? We should have used Webb to get us some depth through the season. Nest year with this same team and Battie back, we would have been a contender again.
Wojtek

Lakeland, FL

#16 Nov 21, 2007
Let's just HOPE thet this WILL WORK!!!!Good luck Trevor, remember You will always be welcome back here.
I hate to see him leaving, but if D.H. sprains his ankle (knock on the wood) we need a guy like Cook inside.BEAT the SPURS!!!Ofcourse i WILL NOT see this game BIG THANKS to greedy brighthouse!!!
Slim

Palm Coast, FL

#17 Nov 21, 2007
Yeah but what about the future?

Are Bogans and Dooling that much better than Ariza?

IMO no, the outside shooting can develop with playing time.

Did you watch him play last year?

He was dropping 15 points and playing great defense when they gave him the minutes.

Its a very bad trade. We get two bad players from the Lakers who average 5 points a game, for a guy who's potential is 4 times that.

Like I said before I think trading Bogans, Dooling, Arroyo, Garrity are all better options.

It is too early in the year to make this move when we could have got a better deal closer to the trade line for expiring contracts
Slim

Palm Coast, FL

#18 Nov 21, 2007
Also in the off season Otis Smith said he wasn't going to trade Ariza to be able to keep Darko. Keeping Ariza around was one of the decisions in getting rid of Darko. Yet 12 games in they trade him for 2 players who combined are not as good as Darko, bad Otis Smith bad
Mike Bianchi

Howey In The Hills, FL

#19 Nov 21, 2007
TMac did not turn into "T-Mac" until he left t-dot. Ariza staying here would have been hindering his progress, and there's no way he would get any development. Ariza is a nice player, he was a great pickup for the Magic, but unfortunately they could not afford the time to groom him. Anyways, if and when Ariza turns into a star player, he would need "star" money. I do not understand Otis' moves, but he IS our GM. Hopefully this will work out for the best.
X-MAN

El Paso, TX

#20 Nov 21, 2007
it was a good move because howard can't play the whole game. cook adds depth at the center position.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Maurice Evans Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Hawks power past slumping Pacers (Jan '11) Jan '11 ipodman98 1
Maurice Evans girlfriend (Jun '07) Aug '10 Kristin 28
News Dr. Trade: One Trade, Two Fixes for the Suns an... (Aug '09) Aug '09 krishawn 1
News Dwyane Wade feeling better, Heat feeling disres... (Apr '09) May '09 kenny 49
News Magic trade Dooling for salary-cap room (Jul '08) Jul '08 Mike Bianchi 73
News J.J. Redick acknowledges dim future with Orland... (Jul '08) Jul '08 Skeezix 118
News Orlando Magic could sign former Gator Jason Wil... (Jul '08) Jul '08 magic_fan 38
More from around the web