Bird keeps trade thoughts to self

Bird keeps trade thoughts to self

There are 20 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Jan 9, 2008, titled Bird keeps trade thoughts to self. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

Larry Bird may want to rethink what he wants to do with his basketball team. The Indiana Pacers president said Tuesday afternoon they're talking to teams but he isn't sure they will tinker with the roster ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

Kel

Marikina, Philippines

#1 Jan 9, 2008
I don't think his team would improve if he doesn't do any trades. Currently his team is 3rd in central division and 9th in eastern conference. D'you think if the team becomes consistent, they could win against tough teams? I know they're win-lose will improve but their limit's only up to there. They should do what ainge did, look for more better players than can help the team. Inconsistency can't win it all. Just my 2 cents
paul

Noblesville, IN

#2 Jan 9, 2008
Bring back Slick Leonard. I am so tired of people "sugar coating" things with this team. Nothing but excuses and Bird is one of them. Call a freaking spade a spade and get on with it. This team simply lacks talent!!! This is one of the worst teams in the league. They need two years in the top five picks, hopefully Bird makes good decisions, and they will be back. Until then it will only get worse fans!!!
Disgusted Pacer Fan

Crown Point, IN

#3 Jan 9, 2008
Maybe Bird can start with himself.

He has taken this team to the bottom of the barrel.

Changes need to start at the top for the Pacers and then work downward.

Where are the Simon brothers who are losing money right and left?
Pritchslap

Corvallis, OR

#4 Jan 9, 2008
They should have traded O'Neal when his value was higher. Now he's only worth about half of his contract amount.
XFACTOR

United States

#5 Jan 9, 2008
Bird,s ability to evaluate talent is part of the problem. The other problem is lack of ability to make good trades for this team. Until the Simons resolve these issues The Pacers will not make it to the playoffs anytime soon.
laker fan

Edmonton, Canada

#6 Jan 9, 2008
Larry could of brought you Bynum for O'Neal but he wanted Odum and a first round draft pick too....c'mon get back to reality or French Lick....the Balsa wood is here to stay...which team in their right mind will want O'Neal at 19 million plus change a year after this season....I am sorry but you are stuck with this Albatross for another year...
oldady

United States

#7 Jan 9, 2008
Bird's ability to choose talent is good, but he won't set rules and standards to live by.

It needs to be in their contract, do your job or leave. You will not get paid unless you fulfull OUR expectancy of you.

You work hard and play less, not Play hard and work less. Playing ball is YOUR JOB. I have rules and regulations to go by at my job and if it isn't done, I could be fired. I can't go whining to a Ref or to whomever, too bad. Do your job.

Bringing them in from high school is foolish. The excitement is there at first and then it wears off. Even though there is a lot of money involved, there is NO interest.

They need a college education FIRST, then they have something to fall back on. But more importantly, they know by this time what they want to do and WILL do it. It may not be BBall.
Have RULES and REGULATIONS that they have to go by. Anyone in the work field has them and has to go by them. If not, bye bye!
Who cares

Noblesville, IN

#8 Jan 9, 2008
Is there a professional basketball team in Indiana?

Since: Nov 07

Madison, WI

#9 Jan 9, 2008
There used to be. It had Miller, Smits, Davis, and more. Fun to watch. Even had season tix then. Gave them up. Now don't even watch on t.v. There's no identity with this team.
tom coverdale

Elgin, IL

#10 Jan 9, 2008
what about travis deiner? no love for the white guy!!!!!
laker fan

Edmonton, Canada

#11 Jan 9, 2008
we will trade you sasha plus fillers for O'Neal...second thought forget it because Bird wants Bynum, Odum , Kobe and 2 first round draft picks to be included in the deal...Man this guy totally screws up your team chemistry when he is out there playing....I would of traded him a long time ago when you had the chance!! Now you will take a beating either way, keeping him at 19.5 million next year or trading him for another multi million dollar has been...maybe another lame O'Neal.....Shaq!! You guys are toast either way!! Maybe start watching hockey instead....
laker fan

Edmonton, Canada

#12 Jan 9, 2008
oldady wrote:
Bird's ability to choose talent is good, but he won't set rules and standards to live by.
It needs to be in their contract, do your job or leave. You will not get paid unless you fulfull OUR expectancy of you.
You work hard and play less, not Play hard and work less. Playing ball is YOUR JOB. I have rules and regulations to go by at my job and if it isn't done, I could be fired. I can't go whining to a Ref or to whomever, too bad. Do your job.
Bringing them in from high school is foolish. The excitement is there at first and then it wears off. Even though there is a lot of money involved, there is NO interest.
They need a college education FIRST, then they have something to fall back on. But more importantly, they know by this time what they want to do and WILL do it. It may not be BBall.
Have RULES and REGULATIONS that they have to go by. Anyone in the work field has them and has to go by them. If not, bye bye!
yeah tell Kobe and Kevin Garnett to go back to school!!!
Jay

United States

#13 Jan 9, 2008
Why can't somebody fire Larry Bird??
Jesus F Christ

Jeffersonville, OH

#14 Jan 9, 2008
paul wrote:
Bring back Slick Leonard. I am so tired of people "sugar coating" things with this team. Nothing but excuses and Bird is one of them. Call a freaking spade a spade and get on with it. This team simply lacks talent!!! This is one of the worst teams in the league. They need two years in the top five picks, hopefully Bird makes good decisions, and they will be back. Until then it will only get worse fans!!!
You obviously didn't listen to the interview that sparked this story. Bird wasn't sugar coating anything. He was as honest as anyone could be.

You're also stupid if you want him to state who he wants to acquire in a trade. By doing so, it gives away any leverage because the other teams obviously know the exact player he wants.

Don't stop using the exclamations!!! Everyone loves them.
Steve Stipanovich

Austin, TX

#15 Jan 9, 2008
tom coverdale wrote:
what about travis deiner? no love for the white guy!!!!!
White people still play in the NBA???
Adam_from_Muncie

Algonquin, IL

#16 Jan 10, 2008
Get rid of Tinsley. I don't care what our record is without him. He has way too many of these, "It's Tinsley-Time" moments in the 4th quarter of games...especially when he's already having a poor shooting night. He makes awful decisions and does not get teammates involved.

I don't care what we get for him. Anything is better than watching him ruin games. A night on the town, a box of old Larry Bird playing cards, a few court-side tickets to a Celtics game. Anything!

Come on Larry, make a splash!
James

New Lenox, IL

#17 Jan 10, 2008
Come on and win some games Pacers!!!
scott

AOL

#18 Jan 12, 2008
the problem with the pacers is almost the same as new york, it has talent, just they dont mix well and it has no heart to win , reggie had heart, the passion to win , they still need to do some trading cause you have to find the kind of mix that plays on each others talent im a big pacer fan who only wants the game of basketball to return to indiana
I-Dont-Like-Ike

Indianapolis, IN

#19 Jan 13, 2008
"They need two years in the top five picks"
They had that opportunity for the past couple/few years, they unfortunately passed that up when they had the perfect chance = while everyone (including, mostly, the fans) were suffering and clearly going nowhere fast. Bird, being the genius (HA HA HA) that he...isn't, thought he could pull a rabbit out of his butt thus a championship caliber team would follow. Could be worse...Ike Thomas could be running the team (not much worse, but worse nonetheless).
I-Dont-Like-Ike

Indianapolis, IN

#20 Jan 13, 2008
The Pacers obviously and clearly (to anyone and everyone else but Bird) should've thrown the past couple of seasons in order to get high draft picks and these days could quite possibly look more like the young up-and-coming TrailBlazers (my have the times changed, when the Pacers are the Blazers and the Blazers are the Pacers).

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Marquis Daniels Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News NBA says replay shows foul was called incorrect... (May '12) May '12 Boo Freakin Hoo Hoo 1
News Leominster youngster is a Celtics superfan - Se... (Jun '10) Sep '10 nikeairmax 6
News Celtics re-sign backup Marquis Daniels - Sentin... (Jul '10) Jul '10 Norm McKinnon 1
News Celtics beaten by New Jersey Nets (Mar '10) May '10 jonathan51793 6
News Nets surprise Celtics 104-96 (Mar '10) Mar '10 Cammy 1
News Celtics' Pierce likely out today against Cavs -... (Feb '10) Feb '10 orin 2
News Pacers agree to community service (Mar '08) Nov '09 Truth123 237
More from around the web