Pacers befuddled by funk

Pacers befuddled by funk

There are 44 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Mar 9, 2007, titled Pacers befuddled by funk. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

The more the Indiana Pacers play, the more confusing they get. Maybe more confused, too.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Mike

United States

#1 Mar 9, 2007
Personally I think they can be a better team without O'Neal. I think a lot of times he brings their entire offense to a grinding halt. I think that without him they could have more motion and a more wide open offensive attack. I think he's an albatross in an All-Star's clothing....
PROF JOHNSON

Athens, OH

#2 Mar 9, 2007
FIRE THE COACH
Go Rudy

Indianapolis, IN

#3 Mar 9, 2007
Mike wrote:
Personally I think they can be a better team without O'Neal. I think a lot of times he brings their entire offense to a grinding halt. I think that without him they could have more motion and a more wide open offensive attack. I think he's an albatross in an All-Star's clothing....
I agree
Indy

Bringhurst, IN

#4 Mar 9, 2007
I am afraid, since the Pacers went to a TV channel that I cannot get, I have not followed them at all this year. I think the Pacers problem though would be solved by a total change in management.
Water from the Pool

Indianapolis, IN

#5 Mar 9, 2007
Drain the water from the pool
The Pacers are actually at the bottom We are at the low of the bell curve. Everyone I know when we talk about sports are down on the Pacers. The topics of conversation don't even armchair
the ways to fix or what players need to go or if we had a new coach.
I was always told when the coach stops coaching you, yelling at you, making an example of you and places you on the bench you are close to being done and the climb back is tough while you drag the doghouse you are chained to around. Ok longwinded but when people just move on to discuss anything but not the Pacers then the Pacers are really, really in trouble. They are not on the radar anymore faint pulse maybe and it is sad. I think the support is gone and the marketing of this franchise the way it sits today is an insult to the average let alone avid fans. Not much to be done but finish the season. I would hope the dismantling comes soon after the last game played this year. The impression of the city is out in a big way as they vie for the SUPER BOWL If overall image is an attraction then this sister pro sports franchise is a black eye.
Fix it!
forty year fan

AOL

#6 Mar 9, 2007
No hussle, missing short jumpers, playing step aside and let em' go defense from these overpaid milliomaires equals losing games and losing fans.
REALITY

Indianapolis, IN

#7 Mar 9, 2007
What Funk!! THE PACERS HAVE BEEN LIKE THIS ALL SEASON AND PART OF LAST...NO DISCIPLINE, NO HEART, NO COMMITMENT, NO COACH, NO ONE TO RECOGNIZE TALENT..it's not a Funk; it's the NEW AND BELOW AVERAGE PACERS...I hope they will get a coach who serious about winning and rid themselves of Bird and Walsh...or WE WILL LIVE IN THE FUNK! BUT ARE YOU SURPRISED???
Louisville Pacer

Bardstown, KY

#8 Mar 9, 2007
I totally disagree with this article. Don't try to insult the fans by trying to sell us this B.S. Blaming trades for the funk does not address the source of the problems. The trade was a result of the core problem: distraction due to off-the-court problems.

You can't win if you're not focused, and you can't be focused if, everytime you turn around, there's a P.R. issue at hand because someone decided to punch a bouncer, or pull a gun.

This year was washed down the drain when Stephen Jackson thought he was Dirty Harry outside Club Rio.
The Weather Man

Indianapolis, IN

#9 Mar 9, 2007
Im tired of all these fair weather fans. I remember when the Pacers were awful and great.
I remember when the Colts were awful and great as well. Itís coming back around for the Pacers and it WILL come back around for the Colts. I stick with my teams thick and thin, and when it comes back around for the Pacers Iím sure you all will be cheering with me again.
Confussed

United States

#10 Mar 9, 2007
Does the phrase Reep What You Sow come to mind if your Donnie or Larry or Rick? This isn't a team. How sad this has become.
Interesting

Indianapolis, IN

#11 Mar 9, 2007
Oh wait, there's still a professional team in Indiana? Go figure....
itchy trigger finger

Carmel, IN

#12 Mar 9, 2007
hmmmm--
I might even get interested in professional baseball again, even though I hate it since the infamous strike.

The Pacers NO DOUBT have the talent, but do they have the desire. Maybe they just need to get back to the basics, simplify things, do more hard screening, emphasize all 5 players going to the defensive boards--something. Even though Larry Legend doesn't normally tinker with the team in the middle of the season, maybe he and Rick need a little sit down session. Or get some other ideas from other coaches--Lenny Wilkins, Dr. Jack, SOMEBODY!!!

You know it is strange that Reggie basically predicted what was going to happen. He mentioned team chemistry and I am sure that the trade in the middle of the season didn't help the chemistry at all. None of us REALLY know what goes on in the locker room, so maybe there is a growing problem there. I know the idea of getting Darrell Armstrong was to try to knit things a bit, using his years of savvy in the league. Obviously that hasn't helped.

I hate to say it, but could it be a racial thing? We traded 2 African-American starters (essentially) for 2 causian starters (I know this is not totally correct because of Jeff Foster). Did this create a growing animosity?

As I mentioned before, I am a long time Pacer fan, and went to many games at the Coliseum in the ABA days. That was fun basketball!!! The team had alot of personality, and even though Neto had a bar, there really wasn't anything bad that went on back then--at least not of the level of today's antics. Maybe looking at those old films would help. Yes the doo's are funny but the basketball was solid. I know Bobby Leonard has had to swallow his tongue many times on the broadcasts with Mark, but even sometimes he gets disgusted. You can tell.

The Pacers need to re-light the fire within themselves. It IS gut check time, and they are Pros. They are competing for the entertainment dollar in a small market, and frankly they are not entertaining. Go back to the basics--block out, rebound, take good shots, hit your free throws, help your team mates, play solid PACER basketball, and STAY OUT OF BARS!!!! You never know, you might re-win the hearts of the fans. Otherwise, we will all be watching arena football between naps on Sunday afternoon.
GO PACERS!!!
Rich from Indy

Kansas City, MO

#13 Mar 9, 2007
The major problem with this team is they have absolutley no identity or chemistry. Are they a half court team? Do they run and gun? Whose their defensive stopper? Do they even play defense?

From what i've seen all season this team can't make it's mind up who they are and what they need to focus on to be successful. And, it was the same problem when Jackson and Al were here.

They look like a half court team that doesn't play defense to me. And, that's not going to keep you above 500 in any league.
Redneck in Carmel

Carmel, IN

#14 Mar 9, 2007
forty year fan wrote:
No hussle, missing short jumpers, playing step aside and let em' go defense from these overpaid milliomaires equals losing games and losing fans.
Plus off-the-court distractions, poor management & coaching, a bad mix of semi-pro players, and the "who-gives-a-hoot - I've got mine" attitude from some of the Pacers and way too many of the other NBAers.
Former Fan

Sulligent, AL

#15 Mar 9, 2007
WHO CARES?!!?
Nice

Atlanta, GA

#16 Mar 9, 2007
I like the Donny Walsh comment, "you totally stink for a while, and then BOOM, you start winning again!" I bet that was Jordan's secret to success. Boom! It just happens! Just wait for it to go Boom, then everything will be ok!
ONeal

Burbank, CA

#17 Mar 9, 2007
Okay, why's O'Neal always the player spokesman? He's always hurt. He's always demanding this and that.. Give me a break... This clown makes 16 mil a year! What a joke..
Nice

Atlanta, GA

#18 Mar 9, 2007
The Weather Man wrote:
Im tired of all these fair weather fans. I remember when the Pacers were awful and great.
I remember when the Colts were awful and great as well. Itís coming back around for the Pacers and it WILL come back around for the Colts. I stick with my teams thick and thin, and when it comes back around for the Pacers Iím sure you all will be cheering with me again.
There's a difference between reasonable loyalty and blind loyalty. I'm sure most of the people here would be rooting for a team full of high character guys who are playing their hardest but just can't get it done (like the teams in the 80s). But when you have unlikable players who either complain constantly or get in trouble with the law, it's idiotic to celebrate them.
BradinIndy

Buena Park, CA

#19 Mar 9, 2007
You heard it here first: They'll move Carlisle into Bird's spot, Bird will move into Donnie's spot, Donnie will stay on as a "Consultant" and they will hire a new coach... Donnie won't leave the organization completely until he at least sees this organization going in the right direction.
KyPacerFan

Chesterfield, MO

#20 Mar 9, 2007
Mike wrote:
I agree also.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Marquis Daniels Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News NBA says replay shows foul was called incorrect... (May '12) May '12 Boo Freakin Hoo Hoo 1
News Leominster youngster is a Celtics superfan - Se... (Jun '10) Sep '10 nikeairmax 6
News Celtics re-sign backup Marquis Daniels - Sentin... (Jul '10) Jul '10 Norm McKinnon 1
News Celtics beaten by New Jersey Nets (Mar '10) May '10 jonathan51793 6
News Nets surprise Celtics 104-96 (Mar '10) Mar '10 Cammy 1
News Celtics' Pierce likely out today against Cavs -... (Feb '10) Feb '10 orin 2
News Pacers agree to community service (Mar '08) Nov '09 Truth123 237
More from around the web