Pacers' Williams out after murder arr...

Pacers' Williams out after murder arrest of man leaving his home

There are 31 comments on the WISH-TV 8 Indiana News story from Feb 28, 2008, titled Pacers' Williams out after murder arrest of man leaving his home. In it, WISH-TV 8 Indiana News reports that:

It's been a tough week for the Pacers, mainly for what's been happening off the court and management is very upset.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WISH-TV 8 Indiana News.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Donny

Kenosha, WI

#1 Feb 28, 2008
Am I the only one who sees this?I am not for guilt by association,but,this is getting old.A Pacer in hot water,by his associates.Do we,as a community need to raise them ?Again?Seems all of the things that were taught to them by the parents have gone by the wayside.I'll turn my mother loose,and let them see what a good dose of Mom is about,and if that won't convince,turn Dad loose.I do not care how big,my parents still have my respect to this day.It is not about getting a spanking,it is about the way you present yourself,and those of whom one associates.If it smells of trouble,it is trouble.This is coming from a 41 yr old man.My mother is 5',she can still command my respect,because she raised me right.Sounds as though the Pacers need to hire Mom and Dad,tell Larry and Donnie to sit in on the "parenting",and get this stupidity out of the way,and be a pro ball team.Truly a black eye for this club.Larry,Donnie,if you are reading this,I'll give you Mom and Dad's phone#
Southsider

Indianapolis, IN

#2 Feb 28, 2008
No one should be able to get away with bringing a team down 3 times... We just need to start at the TOP and work our way DOWN over there in getting our Indiana Pacers back..!
rick

Latonia, KY

#3 Feb 28, 2008
Time to dump the roster and start all over again. There have been too many problems with this team the past 3-4 seasons its time to get back to where we were when Reggie Rick Dale Antonio etc were here a good hard working team without the ignorance we have with todays players. I no longer go to games because this team is not worth the money spent on it. Clean house and get the fans back otherwise fold up and move it out of here
Eastsider

Indianapolis, IN

#4 Feb 28, 2008
I am so sick of the Pacers. It's time to clean the cat box and scoop out the clumps. Sheesh, it sure stinks down on Pennsylvania!
pland2

Crawfordsville, IN

#5 Feb 28, 2008
I was, and still am, a fan of the "PACERS". Not of the type of (or lack of) characters who comprise our great team now, but the organization itself.
Having said that, I must admit that the way Walsh and Bird have comprised our rosters the past several years is very disheartening. We know that discipline can be used and has been used by Walsh in the past(hello...
Does the "Rifleman" ring a bell?} Likewise, we have seen Bird take a quiet but heavy hand to his team when he was coaching.
Maybe the problem doesn't lie with them. Maybe it is society. Kids, coming straight out of high school, with little to no parenting while they moved through their formative years.
Usually by no fault of their own,discipline has not been consistent or they have had none. Both by parents and authority figures in schools due to the emphasis of the needs of the schools to win. Who knows. But I digress.
Maybe next contract talks with the players union should have its number one priority be to limit the age of what rookies may be in order to play.
Will this get rid of all the problems or even most? Maybe not. But, if the players had to wait until say, 21, before playing on a pro roster, we might just see some of the "troubled youth" be weeded out due to their mistakes they make and not having a get out of jail free card due to some celebrity given to them for being able to throw a ball into a hoop.
Another concession the owners of the teams should fight for is the outright ability, nay responsibility, to fire any member accused with a felony. I know, sounds guilty until proven innocent type of thing.
However, if they are put on a special "list" (kind of how the injured reserve list is used) and promised a minimum pay until trial is over, then they could reimburse all lost wages due to their suspenion while the investigation, and if needed, the trial, was underway, and determined their legal status. If the player was found guilty and must serve time, then that "guaranteed amount" he was being paid to sustain him until the outcome was known, would be legally obliged to be paid to the team that paid him his "guarantee".
Just some food for thought from an extremely disappointed fan. I'm not even talking disappointed due to our record(s) since our NBA Finals Title run against L.A. But I'm am most disappointed, dismayed, and even ashamed to have people from out of state point out how "my Pacers" have become more of a crime syndicate, than a basketball team.
Signed,
Heartbroken Fan
Ben

Indianapolis, IN

#6 Feb 29, 2008
KELVIN D is not going to like this.
Nope, not one bit.
Jason

Essex, MD

#7 Feb 29, 2008
His lawyer said Willaims did not know this person or did he know he was in his house! He was arrested last year with Williams, in a traffic stop for pot! Give me a break, how stupid does Williams think we are? Oh, wait a minute- I guess I'm trying to keep a black man down. My bad!
Ha ha

United States

#8 Feb 29, 2008
This organization is a joke. Instead of reading the sports page, I get all my Pacer news in the police reports.
Robert May

Kings Mills, OH

#9 Feb 29, 2008
If they want to be Gangsters, Put them back on the street.
Fire them.
Then MAYBE I will bring my kids back to a game.
Jason

Essex, MD

#10 Feb 29, 2008
Sorry, I'm back. Found an illegal Mexican in my kitchen cooking tacos, said he has been here for 2 weeks. I never knew it. Lol.....
lLUDWIG

United States

#11 Feb 29, 2008
I AM ABSOLUTELY FED UP WITH THE WHOLE PACER ORGANIZATION. THEY HAVE TO KNOW BY NOW THAT CHARACTER DOES MATTER. LEARN FOM TONY AND BILL, AND START DRAFTING PEOPLE THAT CAN REPRESENT OUR STATE AND CITY IN A RESPECTABLE MANNER! I REMEMBER THE PACER TELETHON IN THE 1970'S THAT KEPT THE PACERS IN INDY. WHAT A SLAP IN THE FACE TO BOBBY LEONARD AND HIS WIFE. IF THIS IS THE BEST FOOT WE CAN PUT FORWARD, MOVE THE FRANCHISE SOMEWHERE ELSE.
mydeal

Louisville, KY

#12 Feb 29, 2008
Wow, I am totally flabbergasted by these players' behavior. I will not support them (Pacers) until they can show that they are worth supporting. I think I speak for others as well. For Larry Bird to have to say "we cannot be hanging around with murderers" wow, I think we've reached a new low.
jim

United States

#13 Feb 29, 2008
As "businessmen", I hope Donnie and Larry include clauses in future player contracts that address the issue of personal responsibility on the player's part. The article in the Indy Star refers to the fact that they can't just let the players go because of contract language and "union rules". I am not pro or anti union but as in many cases involving "union shops", it seems the union is running the show instead of the business owners. We have all these congressional hearings on steroids and drugs in professional sports but these players do not effect their teams and fans as much as those that hang out with murderers, rapists, etc. House cleaning and more restrictive contracts are needed. I was transferred to Indiana and have never considered getting involved with anything "Pacers". They currently are a disgrace to this fine city.
Get Over It

Indianapolis, IN

#14 Feb 29, 2008
People need to lighten up. The reason why no one is going to the games is because as a basketball team the Pacers are not so hot. Williams lawyer did not say that Williams did not know Bohannon but that he was not invited to visit or stay with him. As an individual you only have control for your own actions. Parents need to start being role models for their own children instead of relying on paid professionals.
B.T.W: The keep a black man down and the illegal Mexican comment were not called for. If he was white would you be saying the same things?
JasonR

Greenfield, IN

#15 Feb 29, 2008
Get Over It wrote:
People need to lighten up. The reason why no one is going to the games is because as a basketball team the Pacers are not so hot. Williams lawyer did not say that Williams did not know Bohannon but that he was not invited to visit or stay with him. As an individual you only have control for your own actions. Parents need to start being role models for their own children instead of relying on paid professionals.
B.T.W: The keep a black man down and the illegal Mexican comment were not called for. If he was white would you be saying the same things?
Yes i would be saying the same things!!! Read the article, his lawyer did say that!!!! You need a reality check, the poor attendance started after all the fighting and trouble the Pacers got into. One follows their team no matter the winning or losing record, oh wait- I can't speak for you! So don't speak for me or tell me what I can or can't say!
Shawn from Noblesville

Indianapolis, IN

#16 Feb 29, 2008
I can not believe i'm reading about another situation about the Pacers that has nothing to do with becoming a better team, but only what is only making them worse. The Pacers organization has got make some changes soon or they might as well sell the team to another City, because this has become a joke. I'm not a fan of the Pacers and wont be until someone can makes some serious changes are made with the organization.
former Pacer lover

United States

#17 Feb 29, 2008
Management, If accountability would have been enfored a few years ago, the players would know that this kind of action would NEVER be permitted. Two very major issues in one week. Rape committed at one player's house and a murderer in another player's house. Shawn, don't say you didn't know him, you were arrested with him in a traffic stop. Come on fans, we deserve better than this. If the fans boycotted the games, this would certainly get their attention. Donnie and Larry, I am soooo disappointed at what the Pacers have become and you could have prevented this. You have to be their leaders and set an example. Quit trying to be their friends!!
Observing

Fishers, IN

#18 Feb 29, 2008
Sorry LARRY BIRD that you had to go out tarnishing your career associating with these worthless hoodlems.
wrlocke

United States

#19 Feb 29, 2008
WOW, PACERS MANAGEMENT ACTUALLY DID SOMETHING MORE THAN WRING THEIR COLLECTIVE HANDS. WHAT IS THE PACER WORLD OF MISCREANTS COMMING TO? THEY MIGHT HAVE TO START WINNING BASKETBALL GAMES TO GET THEIR NAMES IN THE NEWS.
chocolate

Indianapolis, IN

#20 Feb 29, 2008
they just need to trade the whole Pacer's team and start recruting better players and find a better coach. they are a disgrace to Indiana, they are a poor excuse as a team. i do not understand how they can just keep getting into trouble everytime that you turn around, they are in the news. maybe they need to bring Bobbie Knight out of retirement and be the coach. Maybe he can "slap" some sence into them.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Marquis Daniels Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News NBA says replay shows foul was called incorrect... (May '12) May '12 Boo Freakin Hoo Hoo 1
News Leominster youngster is a Celtics superfan - Se... (Jun '10) Sep '10 nikeairmax 6
News Celtics re-sign backup Marquis Daniels - Sentin... (Jul '10) Jul '10 Norm McKinnon 1
News Celtics beaten by New Jersey Nets (Mar '10) May '10 jonathan51793 6
News Nets surprise Celtics 104-96 (Mar '10) Mar '10 Cammy 1
News Celtics' Pierce likely out today against Cavs -... (Feb '10) Feb '10 orin 2
News Pacers agree to community service (Mar '08) Nov '09 Truth123 237
More from around the web