Pacers' hopes gone; is O'Neal?

Full story: The Indianapolis Star

Now that the Indiana Pacers' hopes of making the playoffs have expired, the same might be true for Jermaine O'Neal 's season.
Comments
1 - 20 of 28 Comments Last updated Apr 18, 2007
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Goodbye

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2007

They can't explode this team fast enough. at this point I'm not sure there is anyone other than Granger worth keeping.
Needless to say when JO goes the Pacers will not break even on the investment.
magi

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2007

O'Neal has handled adversity well. He and Carlisle should stay. Get rid of the last distraction and add a consistent end-of-the-game shooter.
Pacers in 2007-08

Evansville, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2007

I say trade O'Neal, and build around Granger, Diogu, Baston, and Shawne Williams. Preferably, trade O'Neal to one of the teams in the 1 or 2 positions of the draft to get Oden or Durant. I think Dunleavy did great, but Murphy may be expendable with S. Williams kicking tail. Baston and Diogu did great with extended minutes, so I think we need to give them a chance without O'Neal hogging all the time/shots. Finally, I like Carlisle, but maybe there's some truth to the complaint about him being to methodical. Need to let them get out and run more. Finally, Daniels should stay and be given another chance. Tinsley's stuck here because of his contract, but I think he could flourish if he would simply open up to the community, apologize, and work hard at repairing his image.
Colts vs Pacers

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2007

It's AMAZING how much I loved the 90's Pacers team that had both Davis', Miller, Smits, MckEy, Jackson, Perkins etc. I don't even care about this team which for a while was the new version of the TrailPacers.

I have always loved the Colts, win or lose. I followed them since 1987 when Dickerson came but I think I loved the 90's Pacers and their Playoff exploits just as much. Now it's just the Colts. There's nothing likable about the current Pacers except for their arena. Hopefully, they will rebuild and find a place in my heart again but I seriously can't see them being great again for 6+ years.
Joe

Roselle, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2007

Larry Legend in a room with a bunch of lossers watching Ping-Pong Balls?
That's some reality T.V. for you.
Troubled Pacer Fan

Louisville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2007

As much as you may think getting rid of Jermaine O'Neal would help everything, did you ever think it might not be the players? I say it's time for Rick Carlisle to go. None of those players have any respect for him and he doesn't put the rotations in enough that work; O'Neal and Diogu, Foster and Murphy. You're not going to get someone as great as O'Neal if you try and trade him. I can't think of one person they would try and get rid of. It's Carlisle's time to go, don't get rid of good players. Give them a chance with a coach that will give them the oppurtunities they deserve.
Slightly Optimistic Fan

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2007

I've been a fan of the Pacers for ages, and I agree that this team needs a major face lift.

However, I see one bright shining star amid all the crappy, gloomy, thuggish riff-raff that is the current Pacers team. Danny Granger is well mannered, respectable, and is getting better and better. He is the type of player we need, a consistent, reliable contributor. He's not a superstar, but if we had more players who worked hard and didn't scream for the spotlight, we'd have a team I'd be happy to cheer for again.
who cares anymore

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2007

Based on the recent changes around the Pacers team, they will stuck with the long contracts that they have for either over-paying sub-par performers or lousy trades and get rid of JO for no return value. This CANNOT be the same team and I hope the mgmt realizes that. It has to start with a new coach. You watch, due to "pride", they'll win the last 2 games when it doesn't matter anymore and lose their first round pick from the AH trade.
Pacers over and out

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2007

Troubled Pacer Fan wrote:
As much as you may think getting rid of Jermaine O'Neal would help everything, did you ever think it might not be the players? I say it's time for Rick Carlisle to go. None of those players have any respect for him and he doesn't put the rotations in enough that work; O'Neal and Diogu, Foster and Murphy. You're not going to get someone as great as O'Neal if you try and trade him. I can't think of one person they would try and get rid of. It's Carlisle's time to go, don't get rid of good players. Give them a chance with a coach that will give them the oppurtunities they deserve.
Can't lay all this at the coaches feet. This team lacks heart as much as it does talent. Bird had it right. In todays over paid prema dona world of the NBA a coach is lucky to be effective for 3 years. looka round the NBA and see who's coaching. Are these guys really coaches? I'm not sure they should be called that. You mention great and O'Neal in the same sentence. That's not even funny. There probably isn't a more over rated "franchise" player in the NBA. Has he ever hit a game winning shot? Played a complete season? Leader? Now there's a real great player. Pacers haven't had a franchise player since the 2002 version of Reggie was here. Don't kid yourself with O'Neal's all star appearance run. It's merely an indictment of the NBA over all talent level. Face it. It's just not very good these days much less entertaining. Jo needs to go. And yes the coachj will be gone also. Good for him. He can walk away from a sorry situation that he's had to baby sit for the past 3 years. Last time I checked he didn't throw a punt in Detroit. Nor did he have any turn overs or missed shots. In the true sense of the word....who actually coaches in the NBA? Does Thomas coach Starberry? Does Phil coach Kobe? Does Van Gundy coach Yao? Does Riley coach Shaq? I'd say no....at best they're managers. With zero power when it comes to running the teams.
Too much logic

Fort Wayne, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2007

Tinsley returns and so does the poor play, surprise. He and Daniels are the last pieces that need to go.

Keep JO, build the offence around Granger, and draft a point guard to go with the rest.

The Pacers will return to the playoffs in 2008 if these things happen.
Troubled Pacer Fan

Louisville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2007

Pacers over and out wrote:
<quoted text> Can't lay all this at the coaches feet. This team lacks heart as much as it does talent. Bird had it right. In todays over paid prema dona world of the NBA a coach is lucky to be effective for 3 years. looka round the NBA and see who's coaching. Are these guys really coaches? I'm not sure they should be called that. You mention great and O'Neal in the same sentence. That's not even funny. There probably isn't a more over rated "franchise" player in the NBA. Has he ever hit a game winning shot? Played a complete season? Leader? Now there's a real great player. Pacers haven't had a franchise player since the 2002 version of Reggie was here. Don't kid yourself with O'Neal's all star appearance run. It's merely an indictment of the NBA over all talent level. Face it. It's just not very good these days much less entertaining. Jo needs to go. And yes the coachj will be gone also. Good for him. He can walk away from a sorry situation that he's had to baby sit for the past 3 years. Last time I checked he didn't throw a punt in Detroit. Nor did he have any turn overs or missed shots. In the true sense of the word....who actually coaches in the NBA? Does Thomas coach Starberry? Does Phil coach Kobe? Does Van Gundy coach Yao? Does Riley coach Shaq? I'd say no....at best they're managers. With zero power when it comes to running the teams.
Although I see your point, O'Neal and other players aren't getting the oppurtunities they deserve. Carlisle is a "coach" because he controls how much they play and who plays with who. That's what's hurting this team, not the fact that they may not have any talent. You haven't had a chance to see their talent because he won't let them play the kind of basketball that needs to be played. I've been a fan for too long now and I'm not giving up on them. Yes, I did use O'Neal and great in the same sentence because he is. People get hurt, it's a fact of life. There's not too many people I can think of that block shots like him, or better yet, want to play when his trainers won't let him. Follow the Pacers a little more closely before you think about arguing with me.
Pacers over and out

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2007

<quoted text>
Although I see your point, O'Neal and other players aren't getting the oppurtunities they deserve. Carlisle is a "coach" because he controls how much they play and who plays with who. That's what's hurting this team, not the fact that they may not have any talent. You haven't had a chance to see their talent because he won't let them play the kind of basketball that needs to be played. I've been a fan for too long now and I'm not giving up on them. Yes, I did use O'Neal and great in the same sentence because he is. People get hurt, it's a fact of life. There's not too many people I can think of that block shots like him, or better yet, want to play when his trainers won't let him. Follow the Pacers a little more closely before you think about arguing with me.
I've followed the pacers since they played at the fairgrounds. I can think of 10 player that are better shot blockers. There are probably many more when you calc. by minutes played. Great players end up in the hall. JO will need to purcahse a ticket if he plans to see the place.
fan

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2007

This is another example of Indiana sport's at it's worst. O'neal is not the star that he thinks he. The Pacers, put to much trust in his thinking when it came to questioning it's players. They dont have to rebuild , Just a little luck in the lottery, and a good player or two. Also, sharpen up our coaching staff. the last two trade's hurt us real bad.
Land of law

Hesperia, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2007

Larry bird needs to step down. He was a great player,but he sucks at rebuilding. He has a premier big man,and still can't put a contending team around him.
Troubled Pacer Fan

Louisville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2007

Pacers over and out wrote:
<quoted text>I've followed the pacers since they played at the fairgrounds. I can think of 10 player that are better shot blockers. There are probably many more when you calc. by minutes played. Great players end up in the hall. JO will need to purcahse a ticket if he plans to see the place.
The Pacers would be lucky to win a game without him. If you're such a fan why are you bashing them the way you are?
Dr Q

Las Cruces, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2007

Dale Davis over Netolicky? Mark Jackson over Freddy Lewis? How soon they forget!
Marsha Johnson

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2007

<quoted text>
I agree with you hold heartly, about Carisle being replaced. He is not the type of coach the pacers need. Carisle doesn't let the players play, he call too many plays, and I am so tired of the dump the ball to jermaine play, then everyone stands around and watch the game!!!!!!The coach needs to trust his players with game plays on their own, he doesn't need to call every play. The Pacers play so well when they run and have ball movements, and from side to side plays to score. I am also sick and tired of everyone saying get rid of Jermaine!!!!!!he is not the problem!!!!! he's a true all-star, plays when he's hurt and when his shots are not falling he plays defence. Just get rid of the coach and breath new life into a good team who can be a great team. A Pacers fan for life!!!!!
ARKANSAS LARRY

Greenwood, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2007

BE Very careful here. Jermain is the leader of the team & to trade him might be a "TERRIBLE MISTAKE"????

GREGG ODEN or KEVIN DURANT might change my tune however.
(lol)
dwindy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2007

we rock!
who cares anymore

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2007

You have to trade JO! What other option does the team have? They will not get the 1st round pick, because the will beat ATL and lose it and they've already given up their 2nd rounder in the draft last year. Major mis-mgmt of trading for players that aren't on the team or never got the chance to play. This team is stuck with over-paid players with long contracts. The only option: trade JO.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Marquis Daniels Discussions

Search the Marquis Daniels Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
NBA says replay shows foul was called incorrect... (May '12) May '12 Boo Freakin Hoo Hoo 1
Leominster youngster is a Celtics superfan - Se... (Jun '10) Sep '10 nikeairmax 6
Celtics re-sign backup Marquis Daniels - Sentin... (Jul '10) Jul '10 Norm McKinnon 1
Celtics beaten by New Jersey Nets (Mar '10) May '10 jonathan51793 6
Nets surprise Celtics 104-96 (Mar '10) Mar '10 Cammy 1
Celtics' Pierce likely out today against Cavs -... (Feb '10) Feb '10 orin 2
Pacers agree to community service (Mar '08) Nov '09 Truth123 237
•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••