O'Brien's task not an easy one

O'Brien's task not an easy one

There are 35 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Oct 31, 2007, titled O'Brien's task not an easy one. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

And now for the annual "I'm Really Trying To Believe Things Will Be Different This Year" column.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Trade For Kobe

Andover, MA

#22 Oct 31, 2007
He wants a trade anyway. We could probably get them for 60 cents on the dollar. Let's say O'Neal and Williams for Kobe and Bynum....
Eh, don't know if Kobe would care to live in our humble town. But Reggie is an L.A. guy who got along fine here.
C'mon Larry. Make it happen.
No Blood for Pastel

Milford, CT

#23 Oct 31, 2007
Ogilvey wrote:
<quoted text>
How are things in the Pacers PR department these days? Did you forget the brawl? Jackson beating up a handicapped guy? Firing shots at a strip club? Tinsley and Daniels getting into a fight and whatever else happened at the 8 second saloon?? Every year it starts with something new involving the police. Stop enabling this behavior. It won't change until the fans tell the club ENOUGH. I want a better product. You seem to be happy with the same old crap. Take command of your team if you love them so much, and demand better from them.
Jackson isn't on the team anymore, and because the Pacers were so desperate to placate demands like yours, they got Murphy and Dunleavy. If perhaps the Pacers hadn't been so reactionary, might they have been able to forge a better trade?

What I demand from the team is to improve the quality of the on court product. Micromanager Rick Carlisle so overly controlled the team, that what you had was a dispirited, burned out team that gave up trying fairly early in the season. O'Brien seems to be running a MUCH different ship, and not playing favorites the way Carlisle did (which contributed to certain players not being held accountable).

Frankly, the "outrage" over Shawne Williams' traffic ticket was way over the top, and shouldn't be discussed with the venom that currently dominates that discussion.

They had a bad 2006, this isn't in dispute. But two incidents in 2006 and a MINOR incident in 2007 hardly amounts to the rampage of crime you people seem to think it is. It's been shown over and over that the Colts have had substantially more serious off field problems during the Peyton Manning era, but those transgressions are overlooked because the Colts consistently win.
No Blood for Pastel

Milford, CT

#24 Oct 31, 2007
IPS graduates 52 percent wrote:
<quoted text>
I personally think an arrest a year for an NBA orginization is WAY too many, but then again I have never been arrested.
<quoted text>
Haven’t we been over this before? You keep saying it was just a traffic ticket and legally that’s all it is but...
Who does Mr. Williams hang around with? Hmm, lets see here...Roderick Helton, who was arrested before for dealing cocaine (pled to a lesser charge), and this time for having stolen gun. Then we have Roosevelt Rollins, who was smoking weed in the car while Shawne Williams was driving. This isn’t what I call an upstanding citizen. What would you call it?
And that’s not even asking the question of what a millionaire from out of town was doing driving around a bad part of town at 12:45am? Hmm, I wonder...
So, the Pacers should have a clause in their contract stating what parts of Indianapolis they're allowed to drive in?

Considering the sheer amount of people who have smoked weed in this country (stats don't lie), the outrage over a passenger smoking a joint seems disproportionate.

As for the "guilt by association", let's talk about Reggie Miller. Remember when his house was burned down and there was the insurance investigation involving his wife? You sure didn't see the moralizing that Reggie wasn't associating with the approved type of "moral" person. Each and every one of us knows a person who has done substantially worse things than what Williams' friends have done, and chances are pretty good that we might still associate with some of those people for whatever reason. It's the holier than thou attitude like yours that is so galling. Williams pled to a traffic violation. That's it. He's no more responsible for his friends' behavior than you are responsible for your friends' behavior. I'll be perfectly willing to speculate that he is sufficiently chastened by what happened as not to repeat it. His effort in the preseason games indicated that he truly wanted to improve his on-court effort.
No Blood for Pastel

Milford, CT

#25 Oct 31, 2007
Trade For Kobe wrote:
He wants a trade anyway. We could probably get them for 60 cents on the dollar. Let's say O'Neal and Williams for Kobe and Bynum....
Eh, don't know if Kobe would care to live in our humble town. But Reggie is an L.A. guy who got along fine here.
The Lakers aren't trading Bynum, and Kobe has a no trade clause in his contract that he would have to waive before such a deal.
chip

Whiteland, IN

#26 Oct 31, 2007
Who cares? Bunch of gun toating bar brawling thugs.
Send them to New England.
No Blood for Pastel

Milford, CT

#27 Oct 31, 2007
chip wrote:
Who cares? Bunch of gun toating bar brawling thugs.
Send them to New England.
If you don't know how to spell, you are not qualified to have an opinion.
James 4 8

Mattoon, IL

#28 Oct 31, 2007
Brian Goodwin wrote:
The Pacers are done, they've done nothing to improve this team, they've made horrible trades, Larry Bird as a player was a legend but as a G.M he's a joke he can't run a team, Jermaine O'Neal is a Lazy cry baby ( Wipe out your vagina get out there and play )This team will finish last and by week three I hope no one shows up at Conseco.
Brian is another individual that proves by his posts as to just how low some people can go. What a shame that he can give Fortville such a black eye because it is really a neat little community.
Gary

Fishers, IN

#29 Oct 31, 2007
Trade For Kobe wrote:
1. KOBE is not coming here and that is a good thing.

2. O'Neal and Williams for Kobe and Bynum is just plain stupid. Kupchak would die laughing at that offer.
IPS graduates 52 percent

Marysville, OH

#30 Oct 31, 2007
No Blood for Pastel wrote:
<quoted text>So, the Pacers should have a clause in their contract stating what parts of Indianapolis they're allowed to drive in?
No, I merely asked what he was doing there. Doesn’t that seem just a little shady to you?
<quoted text>Considering the sheer amount of people who have smoked weed in this country (stats don't lie), the outrage over a passenger smoking a joint seems disproportionate.
We can argue over marijuana all day, the end result is its illegal. On top of that, he was driving around in the car while his buddy was smoking.
<quoted text>As for the "guilt by association", let's talk about Reggie Miller. Remember when his house was burned down and there was the insurance investigation involving his wife? You sure didn't see the moralizing that Reggie wasn't associating with the approved type of "moral" person.
And your proof of this is??? Rumors are one thing, but where is your substantiated facts? I can show you arrest records on Williams and his buddies, where’s yours for Reggie’s wife?
<quoted text>Each and every one of us knows a person who has done substantially worse things than what Williams' friends have done, and chances are pretty good that we might still associate with some of those people for whatever reason. It's the holier than thou attitude like yours that is so galling.
I can safely say I don’t know anyone who has done substantially worse things than Williams’s friends. Obviously you don’t know me or the people I associate with. If I did know of a person who has been busted for dealing drugs, I wouldn’t associate with them anymore, and I certainly wouldn’t have them in my vehicle!!! I can also safely say that I have never had a friend bring a gun into my car or have I been in a car with a gun.(I am all for gun ownership). If that’s the kind of people you associate with, I now understand why you defend all these criminals.
<quoted text>Williams pled to a traffic violation. That's it. He's no more responsible for his friends' behavior than you are responsible for your friends' behavior.
That’s correct, unless you’re with them. Go have a friend rob a bank and wait in the car while he does it…let me know how that turns out.
<quoted text> I'll be perfectly willing to speculate that he is sufficiently chastened by what happened as not to repeat it. His effort in the preseason games indicated that he truly wanted to improve his on-court effort.
Would that be before or after he overslept his court date...obviously he was very distraught and concerned about his actions. Um, sure...
No Blood for Pastel

Milford, CT

#31 Oct 31, 2007
<quoted text>
No, I merely asked what he was doing there. Doesn’t that seem just a little shady to you?
<quoted text>
We can argue over marijuana all day, the end result is its illegal. On top of that, he was driving around in the car while his buddy was smoking.
<quoted text>
And your proof of this is??? Rumors are one thing, but where is your substantiated facts? I can show you arrest records on Williams and his buddies, where’s yours for Reggie’s wife?
<quoted text>
I can safely say I don’t know anyone who has done substantially worse things than Williams’s friends. Obviously you don’t know me or the people I associate with. If I did know of a person who has been busted for dealing drugs, I wouldn’t associate with them anymore, and I certainly wouldn’t have them in my vehicle!!! I can also safely say that I have never had a friend bring a gun into my car or have I been in a car with a gun.(I am all for gun ownership). If that’s the kind of people you associate with, I now understand why you defend all these criminals.
<quoted text>
That’s correct, unless you’re with them. Go have a friend rob a bank and wait in the car while he does it…let me know how that turns out.
<quoted text>
Would that be before or after he overslept his court date...obviously he was very distraught and concerned about his actions. Um, sure...
There was no arrest of Reggie's wife, but there was definitely a lot of press about an insurance investigation into a valuable ring owned by his wife registered as lost in the fire that there was some question about. There definitely was a lot of scuttlebutt about the state of the Miller marriage and whether this was a rerun of the Lisa Left Eye/Andre Rison incident.

Unless America has suddenly become more of an overt police state, people have the freedom to drive their cars anywhere and at anytime without having to get prior approval from the authorities or internet posters.

Obviously you don't me, pal. Since you consider Shawne Williams to be a "criminal" over a traffic ticket, I can make a judgement about your stance on things.
da doctor

Rockford, IL

#32 Oct 31, 2007
Arenas knocks down 34, Jamison adds 27, and Butler 19 more ... eighty points from the big three and they still lose 119 to 110 against a team that too many home folks seem to believe can't play.
Tinsley's not my favorite gentleman either, but he had twenty points and eight assists tonight. He seems to like this style of play ... a lot. My guess is that this may be his year.
Mike Dunleavy's taken a lot of punishment from board members here, mostly undeserved. His numbers in the pre-season were excellent and I predict that tonight's game was just the first of many outstanding games he'll have this season. Like Tinsley, the O'Brien style suits him perfectly. Twenty-five points and twelve boards is a good game in any league, especially for a skinny guy who can't play ;-)
Granger's twenty and thirteen boards is going to be a regular thing this year. Can he shoot the three? Five of nine's pretty good, even in this league.
Dave Harrison had a big night tonight as well, with thirteen points, five boards and three blocked shots. He looked like he belongs on the court this year. It had to happen sometime.
It was a good win against a good team, and it was done without JO or Murphy. With either or both in the game tonight, it wouldn't have gone to overtime.
The drought's over. These kids are good!
IPS graduates 52 percent

Marysville, OH

#33 Nov 1, 2007
<quoted text>
Since you consider Shawne Williams to be a "criminal" over a traffic ticket, I can make a judgement about your stance on things.
Criminal - n. One that has committed or been legally convicted of a crime.

If the shoe fits...
IPS graduates 52 percent

Marysville, OH

#34 Nov 1, 2007
<quoted text>
Unless America has suddenly become more of an overt police state, people have the freedom to drive their cars anywhere and at anytime without having to get prior approval from the authorities or internet posters.
Again, drive where you want, I never said you couldn't.

However one does begin to wonder what a millionaire would be doing in that area. It raises suspicion to stay the least. Let’s examine the evidence here...A former drug dealer, a guy USING drugs, and Shawne Williams driving through an area know for drugs at 12:45am...draw your own conclusions.
IPS graduates 52 percent

Marysville, OH

#35 Nov 1, 2007
da doctor wrote:
Arenas knocks down 34, Jamison adds 27, and Butler 19 more ... eighty points from the big three and they still lose 119 to 110 against a team that too many home folks seem to believe can't play.
Tinsley's not my favorite gentleman either, but he had twenty points and eight assists tonight. He seems to like this style of play ... a lot. My guess is that this may be his year.
Mike Dunleavy's taken a lot of punishment from board members here, mostly undeserved. His numbers in the pre-season were excellent and I predict that tonight's game was just the first of many outstanding games he'll have this season. Like Tinsley, the O'Brien style suits him perfectly. Twenty-five points and twelve boards is a good game in any league, especially for a skinny guy who can't play ;-)
Granger's twenty and thirteen boards is going to be a regular thing this year. Can he shoot the three? Five of nine's pretty good, even in this league.
Dave Harrison had a big night tonight as well, with thirteen points, five boards and three blocked shots. He looked like he belongs on the court this year. It had to happen sometime.
It was a good win against a good team, and it was done without JO or Murphy. With either or both in the game tonight, it wouldn't have gone to overtime.
The drought's over. These kids are good!
Everything you said was pretty accurate. I liked the flow of the offense, but I have two concerns. One, what will happen when the threes aren't falling? And two, how much will JO bog that free flowing style down.

I think it might be a little premature to say the doughts over after one game.
No Blood for Pastel

Milford, CT

#36 Nov 1, 2007
<quoted text>
Criminal - n. One that has committed or been legally convicted of a crime.
If the shoe fits...
For god's sake, it was a misdemeanor. You need to let it go.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Marquis Daniels Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News NBA says replay shows foul was called incorrect... (May '12) May '12 Boo Freakin Hoo Hoo 1
News Leominster youngster is a Celtics superfan - Se... (Jun '10) Sep '10 nikeairmax 6
News Celtics re-sign backup Marquis Daniels - Sentin... (Jul '10) Jul '10 Norm McKinnon 1
News Celtics beaten by New Jersey Nets (Mar '10) May '10 jonathan51793 6
News Nets surprise Celtics 104-96 (Mar '10) Mar '10 Cammy 1
News Celtics' Pierce likely out today against Cavs -... (Feb '10) Feb '10 orin 2
News Pacers agree to community service (Mar '08) Nov '09 Truth123 237
More from around the web