Minnesota Timberwolves get No. 3 pick...

Minnesota Timberwolves get No. 3 pick in NBA draft

There are 86 comments on the TwinCities.com story from May 20, 2008, titled Minnesota Timberwolves get No. 3 pick in NBA draft. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Now that the Wolves know they'll have the No. 3 pick in the NBA draft next month, will they choose a guard to help their outside shooting or a big man who can rebound and defend well to take pressure off Al ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
John M

Buffalo, MN

#1 May 20, 2008
They draft Loren Woods or I mean Lopez and Mcfail will conintue on his hot streak of being the Goat of the Year.
d mcclay

Owasso, OK

#2 May 20, 2008
duffy steered jaric and james to wolves ?
talor should hire someone to keep this guy away from mchale.
d mcclay

Owasso, OK

#3 May 20, 2008
must trade third pick to clippers for the seventh pick and not haveing to give them a future first pick owed them.(jaric deal)!!!
o j mayo, brook lopez, jerryd bayless, eric gordan, kevin love, d j augustin,
two of which would be still there at number seven.
fracas

Grand Forks, ND

#4 May 21, 2008
The conventional wisdom is that the wolves will pick Lopez, given that they have a huge hole at center. I think Lopez is an ordinary talent and will struggle in the NBA. Last year when the Lopez twins played against UCLA Kevin Love handled both of the Lopez twins at the same time. This is not a vote for Love, just an indication that Lopez is most likely not the player the wolves should select.

I think there is little separation between the players that will go between 3 and about 9. I agree with d mcclay that the wolves should try to broker a deal with the Clippers and trade our 3 for their 7 and the pick we owe them in the future. Someone like Love will likely be there at 7 if they feel they must take a big.

If they stay at 3, O J Mayo has the best chance to be a star and should be the pick.
Mike Kranz- shoreview

Minneapolis, MN

#5 May 21, 2008
"If you said that every person that ever took any money in college was not going to be drafted, it'd be slim pickings," McHale said.

What a stupid comment Kevin. I see us drafting Mayo because of the relationship McHale & Duffy have. Kevin, please step down from your position so we can try to prosper "without" your help.

Did everyone hear the slam on ESPN radio concerning Kevin McHale. Danny Ainge was named Executive of the year last week & the ESPN guys were saying tongue in cheek that it should have been McHale. It was great!!!!!!!
JET

Burnsville, MN

#6 May 21, 2008
Ya Brook Lopez had a double double 18- 13 in an overtime loss at UCLA. I'd call that being handled by Love.(not) OJ Mayo will be a bust. Please KMac take anyone but him. Take both the Lopez kids. Robin can rebound, Brook can score and defend the rim.
Drew

Albert Lea, MN

#7 May 21, 2008
I think we should take Luc Longley at 3, or I mean Brook Lopez. To be honest I don't think it matters who we take, the franchise is cursed and whoever we take will be developed into garbage with that joke Mcfail and our clown of a coach. When does hockey season start?
What up

Minneapolis, MN

#8 May 21, 2008
JET wrote:
Ya Brook Lopez had a double double 18- 13 in an overtime loss at UCLA. I'd call that being handled by Love.(not) OJ Mayo will be a bust. Please KMac take anyone but him. Take both the Lopez kids. Robin can rebound, Brook can score and defend the rim.
I'd love to see the Lopez brothers here. Unfortunately, I think McHale is going to trade one or both of the 2nd round picks.
Podo

United States

#9 May 21, 2008
I kinda like OJ Mayo more than Beasley and Rose. I think he has more potential and upside. Reminds me some of Chris Paul, and we know how that worked out. Have faith...most pessimistic fans in the US.
Andrew

United States

#10 May 21, 2008
wouldnt it make sense to take mayo? we need a play maker now to take pressure off of AJ. We can either get Hibbert, who is no better or worse than either Lopez, with Bostons pick. Or package our Boston pick with our second rd pick to move to 17-20 to take Hibbert. I like Hibbert and Mayo better than Lopez and some other Dudu Edi type player.... Plus Mayo may get a couple of fans in the doors.
Bill K-Rochester

Mankato, MN

#11 May 21, 2008
If it was up to me I would take Mayo or Bayless.
We need athleticism not a center. Big Al is 6 foot 10 and a super low post scorer...that's NOT
a power forward, that's a center. It's like calling Tim Duncan a PF. He's not. He's really a center. However, consider this: ESPN is reporting that Denver is willing to trade Carmelo Anthony. The rumor is that the Nets would trade
Richard Jefferson and their #10 overall pick to
Denver for Melo AND Marcus Camby. My first reaction to that was "how does this HELP Denver?"
But the Nuggets are reportedly interested. So, how about this: We trade the #3 overall pick,
Rashad McCants, Antoine Walker and his expiring
contract and both of our 2nd rounders to
Denver for Melo, Camby and their #10 overall pick.
I think it's certainly a better offer than the Nets. T-Wolves build around Melo, Big Al and Foye
and whoever we get with the #10 pick. If Brewer
shows some improvement even better. Thoughts?
Reactions?
Howler

Waseca, MN

#12 May 21, 2008
I just wish we could draft a new front office.
Andrew

United States

#13 May 21, 2008
Bill I just dont see why the nets would do that unless they have given up hope they can win with Camby and Melo. Melo is still too young to trade as he is their cornerstone for years. I can see maybe if they got a top 2 pick but even if they got #3 from us.... how would anyone there help them at all without Melo and Camby. AI is no young pup he isnt going to want to hang around for that either. Where did you hear this because it makes no sense.
d mcclay

Owasso, OK

#14 May 21, 2008
Bill K-Rochester wrote:
If it was up to me I would take Mayo or Bayless.
We need athleticism not a center. Big Al is 6 foot 10 and a super low post scorer...that's NOT
a power forward, that's a center. It's like calling Tim Duncan a PF. He's not. He's really a center. However, consider this: ESPN is reporting that Denver is willing to trade Carmelo Anthony. The rumor is that the Nets would trade
Richard Jefferson and their #10 overall pick to
Denver for Melo AND Marcus Camby. My first reaction to that was "how does this HELP Denver?"
But the Nuggets are reportedly interested. So, how about this: We trade the #3 overall pick,
Rashad McCants, Antoine Walker and his expiring
contract and both of our 2nd rounders to
Denver for Melo, Camby and their #10 overall pick.
I think it's certainly a better offer than the Nets. T-Wolves build around Melo, Big Al and Foye
and whoever we get with the #10 pick. If Brewer
shows some improvement even better. Thoughts?
Reactions?
would not equate $ wise. camby and anthony will make $22.4 million next season.
you would have to include jaric and buckner too even it out.
camby would be a great get, but is anthony a attitude problem waiting to explode ?
why is denver thinking of giveing him up ?
Mike - formerly St Paul

Oceanside, CA

#15 May 21, 2008
I've coached basketball in CA and seen l've seen Lopez play. He will be a another big man stiff. I have the video to prove it. Overrated college player. The NBA has become a guards league, with the exeption of a Duncan. And Lopez is no Tim Duncan. Wolves need an athletic quick players who can shoot. Bettter look at Mayo, Bayless, etc.
Go Big man at #2. There's a couple Europeons to take in rd. 2.
The wolves cannot afford another bust #1 pick: Longley, Lattner, Rider, Spencer, Richardson, Brewer. Only hit they ever had was Garnett. They need quickness, height, and shooting at the 1 & 2 positions. If Foye had superstar potential, we'd all know it by now. Should have kept Roy.
Bill K-Rochester

Mankato, MN

#16 May 21, 2008
Andrew,

It was a headline on ESPN yesterday (web site),
I haven't been able to find it again but I talked with a co-worker about it and he confirmed that he'd read the story as well about the Nuggets willingness to trade Melo. I agree, I don't see how the proposed trade of Richard Jefferson and the #10 pick for Melo and Camby helps Denver either. I just thought, "heck, if Denver is considering it, why don't the T-Wolves jump in."
The trade that makes more sense is Richard Jefferson and #10 pick for Melo straight up. But
I do remember that Camby was part of it as well.
Mike - formerly St Paul

Oceanside, CA

#17 May 21, 2008
JET wrote:
Jet you couldn't be more wrong.

Love, and Brook Lopez will be #8-10 on some NBA bench for most of their careers. Robin Lopez will be a 10th guy with a lot of DNP-coach's decision for his 6-8 year NBA career. All three of these guys are too slow and easy to stop. They will be going against the same height night-after-night in the NBA. Not the mismatches they were used to taking advantage of and padding stats in college. I didn't see them carrying their team to the NCAA finals/championships, did you?
The future

Columbia, MO

#18 May 21, 2008
Lopez will be a BUST! The wolves should trade down and get Darrell Arthur out of Kansas. Not only can he play inside, but he can hit the open jumper as well. He rebounds very well and plays tough defense. The guy averaged nearly 20 and 10 last year and only played a bit over 20 minutes a game. Lopez would just be the next of a long history of Centers that have been huge flops.
A guy like Kevin Love would also be a good option. He's an incredilbly difficult matchup and would take a big out of the paint to free up Jefferson.
Just no LOPEZ!
Bryan Thole

United States

#19 May 21, 2008
who cares its the NBA thug league. why pay .1 to watch these characters. this league is the joke of professional sports. I hope the team and the attendence keeps falling...so we can get these guys out of here.
Ridiculous

Saint Paul, MN

#20 May 21, 2008
Bryan Thole wrote:
who cares its the NBA thug league. why pay .1 to watch these characters. this league is the joke of professional sports. I hope the team and the attendence keeps falling...so we can get these guys out of here.
This is one of the dumbest comments I've ever read. The NBA has multiple national TV contracts while the NHL Playoffs are on Versus (and only if there isn't a better hunting or fishing show). And if you're going to call out thugs don't forget the Wild's own Derrek Boogaard and the former Wild Chris Simon.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Marko Jaric Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Rerouting suits Chalmers (Jan '09) Jan '09 mydrick taylor 2
News Forward thinking: Minnesota Timberwolves' draft... (Jun '08) Nov '08 Doc T 44
News Knicks-Grizzlies Trade Rumor Swirls (Oct '08) Oct '08 Kante 1
News NBA: No Love for Timberwolves' rookie (Oct '08) Oct '08 Commish 3
News Knicks can't unload Randolph (Sep '08) Oct '08 GMoney 12
News Knicks might trade Randolph to Grizzlies (Sep '08) Sep '08 KJ from Queens 13
News Minnesota Timberwolves have three-point threat ... (Jul '08) Jul '08 Barry 14
More from around the web