Magic hope championship will fall in ...

Magic hope championship will fall in place with Vince Carter in...

There are 50 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Jun 26, 2009, titled Magic hope championship will fall in place with Vince Carter in.... In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

It will take a few more weeks and several dozen more phone calls with agents and general managers before he can exhale.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

LMAO

AOL

#21 Jun 27, 2009
If SVG doesn't mess him up I'm telling you all right now that the Anderson guy is going to make a big difference.
6'10"...can shoot the 3 plus go to the basket and also rebound. Plus he has BBall intelligence.

I also now think the Best Trade so far is the Richard Jefferson to the Spurs deal. They just made the Spurs at least the #2 team in the West again.
I hope Hedo goes to the Pistons. It would be fun to have the Magic whip up on him next year!

:)
Jimbo

United States

#22 Jun 27, 2009
That's it? Swap Lee and get Carter. Upgrade at 2. So you have to let Hedo go and you replace him with.......... Antonio McDyess. You gotta be shi**in' me Otis. That makes the trade a net loss. Hedo was instrumental in getting this team to The Finals. Not happenin' again without him. Dumb move Otis. You just got suckered by fools gold.
Genius at Work

AOL

#23 Jun 27, 2009
Otis don't be makin' no dumb moves. Shut yo piehole boy!

“I'm a great ponderer!”

Since: Jun 09

Islesworth Florida

#24 Jun 27, 2009
Otis is the smartest, best, most intelligent GM in all of sports. Dont yall forget it.

Oppppsssss.
disappointed

Council Bluffs, IA

#25 Jun 27, 2009
Turk wrote:
Magic will be a mediocre team without him, they wont be in the finals next year
Wow you don't know anything about basketball do you? So you think that with their current lineup (Gortat staying) and a MLE player that the Magic are going to be a mediocre team (mediocre being a 41-41 team) dude you need your head examined. The starters alone pretty much ensure a top 4 finish in the East and 50 wins.

I know some Hedo homers are crying because of the deal but my goodness get over yourselves. They basically traded away two guys who weren't going to be here or do anything for the team next year for Vince Carter and swapped out a not needed Lee for a younger less experienced version of Rashard Lewis. Who better to back him up?

BTW anyone thinking that Lee deserved to take minutes from Pietrus or VC is high. Honestly if Orlando gets a Brandon Bass or a Rasheed Wallace there wasn't a place for Lee to play. If they do that there sure as hell is a place to play Ryan Anderson.

Hedo can stay or Hedo can go personally at this point I don't think it matters. But I sure as hell would rather have Brandon Bass or Rasheed Wallace and Gortat than I would Hedo with the Magic's current team. Not only that two MLE contracts would cost less than what Hedo wants.

All this trade did was ensure Orlando had kept Hedo's production for 4.5 million dollars. This trade ensure that Orlando can match a Gortat offer and keep that production as well as being able to use some coin on a free agent.

Read that last paragraph and tell me how this team will be mediocre. I challenge you to show me how that isn't a better team then the alternative. Which would have been to stay pat outside of losing Gortat and getting no free agents.
steve

Denver, CO

#26 Jun 27, 2009
I hope the magic enjoyed thier short time on top because this just put them at a 5-6 seed. this hurts thier defense and will hurt them offensively. wait and see 20 games into the season people will be complaining about not getting enough touches
disappointed

Council Bluffs, IA

#27 Jun 27, 2009
steve wrote:
I hope the magic enjoyed thier short time on top because this just put them at a 5-6 seed. this hurts thier defense and will hurt them offensively. wait and see 20 games into the season people will be complaining about not getting enough touches
Again tell me how this hurts them if they sign a player to the MLE like Sheed or Bass.

People like you don't know anything about basketball so why do you comment on it? Even if they keep what they have right now they are better than a 5-6 seed.

I see it says Michigan on you ISP location are you an upset Piston fan who can't bare watching a lottery team next year and just want to talk nonsense on a real contenders blog?
Rob Eustis

United States

#28 Jun 27, 2009
You always see players who want more money get it from another team but doesn't live up to expectations. Example Darko, Dooling, Stevenson, Magette, Brand, Baron Davis, Ben Wallace. I know there's alot more so good decision by magic not to over pay for Turk. If we could get Sheed that would be huge for us.
disappointed

Council Bluffs, IA

#29 Jun 27, 2009
BTW it seems some people are under this misinterpretation that Hedo was some kind of defensive stopper or something. From every "expert" or NBA "scout" I've read that Carter is a much better defender than Hedo. So are people seriously trying to say that Courtney Lee was so much better as a defender than Pietrus that Orlando's defense is going to tank because of it?

Last I checked it was Pietrus who was the Magic's best perimeter defender last year not Lee. So if anything this upgraded their defense not weakened it. The bench would be a big downgrade though if they only resigned Gortat but I find it hard to believe that Otis is only going to hold pat with Gortat and not pursue at least a couple of cheep vets wanting a ring.

I wish people would research crap before talking about how bad a trade was.

BTW I still think VC is the devil (for what he did in Toronto) but at least I'm not too blind to see he's a better and more consistent player than Hedo.
steve

Denver, CO

#30 Jun 27, 2009
anybody that thinks getting wallace is a good idea has not watched the pistons because he's older,slower and isplaying hard for only the 4rth period. we already picked up 1 cancer with carter, this would really kill the magic
steve

Denver, CO

#31 Jun 27, 2009
disappointed wrote:
<quoted text>
Again tell me how this hurts them if they sign a player to the MLE like Sheed or Bass.
People like you don't know anything about basketball so why do you comment on it? Even if they keep what they have right now they are better than a 5-6 seed.
I see it says Michigan on you ISP location are you an upset Piston fan who can't bare watching a lottery team next year and just want to talk nonsense on a real contenders blog?
i hate the pistons, vince carter if you ever watched a game averages about 9-10 points in the 4rth qaurter when the games over so nobodys playing any defense, which is what he expects because he does'nt play any himself. plus with howard in the middle carter will not be as effective. By the way do you even have a pro team near you.
disappointed

Council Bluffs, IA

#32 Jun 27, 2009
steve wrote:
anybody that thinks getting wallace is a good idea has not watched the pistons because he's older,slower and isplaying hard for only the 4rth period. we already picked up 1 cancer with carter, this would really kill the magic
Funny not one player that played with Carter has ever called him a cancer. Same with Rasheed Wallace. Dude where do you get your bad info from? My guess is you butt but I could be wrong.

BTW Rasheed Wallace's numbers were down this year but he played less minutes still rebounded well and shot better from the 3pt line than Hedo did. In addition he still defended Rashard Lewis and Dwight pretty well for a guy you say isn't a good fit.

Please Steve research stuff before typing you uneducated opinions. Either you haven't watched a single game or just merely throw out your opinion based on watching very little about the players you are talking about.
disappointed

Council Bluffs, IA

#33 Jun 27, 2009
steve wrote:
<quoted text> i hate the pistons, vince carter if you ever watched a game averages about 9-10 points in the 4rth qaurter when the games over so nobodys playing any defense, which is what he expects because he does'nt play any himself. plus with howard in the middle carter will not be as effective. By the way do you even have a pro team near you.
I'm in the military and have been a Magic fan since I was 8 and they became a team. I have watched them on NBA league Pass for the last 5 years and went to games when I lived in Orlando. So I have watched not only their games but some of every other games as well.

You say that Carter scored 10 points in the 4th with a game already over yet fail to realize that as far as 4th quarter scoring goes he was below Hedo and that when games were already over he wasn't even playing. Again you make a generalized opinion and try and pass it off as a fact.

Then you say because Dwight is in the paint Carter wont be as effective as a scorer. I assume you think that Carter only scores at the basket as a finisher. Again you obviously haven't looked at his game or his number because you would realize that he barely (3% wise more, per shot attempt) finished at the basket (within 2 feet of the rim) than Hedo did last year. So again your information is wrong.

You say he plays no defense yet he had better defensive numbers than Hedo did. Not only that you failed to see that he turned the ball over less as well than Hedo.

So again I ask how is he a downgrade from Hedo? Offensively and Defensively he has better numbers the only categories that Hedo barely did better in was assists and rebounds, which could be attributed to the fact that Hedo played point a lot at the end of the games after Nelson went out for the season (or did you not notice that Orlando closed out some games with no PG in and Hedo bringing the ball up?).
steve

Denver, CO

#34 Jun 27, 2009
disappointed wrote:
<quoted text>
Funny not one player that played with Carter has ever called him a cancer. Same with Rasheed Wallace. Dude where do you get your bad info from? My guess is you butt but I could be wrong.
BTW Rasheed Wallace's numbers were down this year but he played less minutes still rebounded well and shot better from the 3pt line than Hedo did. In addition he still defended Rashard Lewis and Dwight pretty well for a guy you say isn't a good fit.
Please Steve research stuff before typing you uneducated opinions. Either you haven't watched a single game or just merely throw out your opinion based on watching very little about the players you are talking about.
wallace played less minutes because he's old and cant play as many. if you ever played the game beside's with a nerf ball and a closet door you might understand there's more to the game than statistics so go drink another beer and have some more potato chips and get off the internet so people who know the game can have an intelligent conversation.
disappointed

Council Bluffs, IA

#35 Jun 27, 2009
I'm not trying to argue with (or belittle) you steve. I just want to know where you are forming your opinion from.

At first I thought some of the same things a lot of people have typed. For example I thought Carter was a washed up, injury prone, ball hogging, poor outside shooting, defensive liability.

Then I went out and learned everything I could about him and Ryan Anderson. I tell you I wasn't sold on the trade unless Orlando kept Hedo but now I honestly feel like Orlando is set whether they lose Hedo or not.

Would I rather have Orlando go out resign Hedo, Gortat and use the MLE on a Brandon Bass type player or watch him leave and do the other two things? That's easy I would love to see Hedo stay.

But my guess is that it would have been a choice of signing Hedo and maybe keeping Gortat versus doing that trade and keeping Gortat and signing a Brandon Bass type player.

Again I don't see how anyone thinks that they should have done the first option. Staying exactly pat not only would have cost more (this season and in the future) financially for the team but I don't see it as a better team than what they have should they use the MLE and get Carter. Granted the window now financially is only open 2 season it makes that window a lot more of a sure thing. Then who knows Orlando could parlay a partially guaranteed Carter into another good player that fits. Instead of being stuck with the exact same team for 5 years while Hedo gets worse by the season.
disappointed

Council Bluffs, IA

#36 Jun 27, 2009
steve wrote:
<quoted text>wallace played less minutes because he's old and cant play as many. if you ever played the game beside's with a nerf ball and a closet door you might understand there's more to the game than statistics so go drink another beer and have some more potato chips and get off the internet so people who know the game can have an intelligent conversation.
Funny I have been posting factual well written ideas and you say that I'm the guy who doesn't know ball wow.

BTW Sheed played 33 minutes a game down a whopping 4 mins and because Detroit was trying to get Maxiell more playing time, seeing as Sheed wasn't in their long term plans after this season. Even then his numbers weren't that far off.

I wish you knew something about basketball because you're the only person talking right now and quite frankly it's getting old.

Here's an idea steve take the next hour and do some research then come back with an opinion that's worth something. Because the crap opinion your peddling right now isn't worth the bandwidth your using.

“If you say it, back it up”

Since: Jan 08

Ocoee, FL

#37 Jun 27, 2009
Did you all read where Hedo turned down Otis' offer of 4 yrs/$36 million? Hedo needs to fire his agent! Only 4 teams really have any money to spend this year....yet take a look at these Free Agents this year....no particular order:

UNRESTRICTED:
Hedo Turkoglu
Shawn Marion
Ron Artest
Lamar Odom
Ben Gordon
Allen Iverson
Rasheed Wallace
Jason Kidd
Andre Miller
Drew Gooden
Mike Bibby
Trevor Ariza
Flip Murray
Grant Hill
Zaza Pachulia

RESTRICTED:
Marcin Gortat
David Lee
Ramon Sessions
Glen Davis
Leon Powe
Paul Millsap
Charlie Villanueva
Nate Robinson

This list doesn't even included guys that can opt out if they so desire like: Carlos Boozer, Mehmet Okur & Al Harrington.

If the report was true, Turk was nuts to turn down $9 million/year. That was a gift!
steve

Denver, CO

#38 Jun 27, 2009
disappointed wrote:
<quoted text>
Funny I have been posting factual well written ideas and you say that I'm the guy who doesn't know ball wow.
BTW Sheed played 33 minutes a game down a whopping 4 mins and because Detroit was trying to get Maxiell more playing time, seeing as Sheed wasn't in their long term plans after this season. Even then his numbers weren't that far off.
I wish you knew something about basketball because you're the only person talking right now and quite frankly it's getting old.
Here's an idea steve take the next hour and do some research then come back with an opinion that's worth something. Because the crap opinion your peddling right now isn't worth the bandwidth your using.
I hope your not driving(well at least you can do some reading with your time). the good thing about the internet is you can be whoever you want to be. don't bother replying because i'll wait to answer when somebody that knows the game replys. start going to some local high school games, watch some college games(espn) then make the jump to the nba in a couple of years you can get back on and maybe people won't laugh at you
disappointed

Council Bluffs, IA

#39 Jun 27, 2009
Michael in Ocoee wrote:
Did you all read where Hedo turned down Otis' offer of 4 yrs/$36 million? Hedo needs to fire his agent! Only 4 teams really have any money to spend this year....yet take a look at these Free Agents this year....no particular order:
UNRESTRICTED:
Hedo Turkoglu
Shawn Marion
Ron Artest
Lamar Odom
Ben Gordon
Allen Iverson
Rasheed Wallace
Jason Kidd
Andre Miller
Drew Gooden
Mike Bibby
Trevor Ariza
Flip Murray
Grant Hill
Zaza Pachulia
RESTRICTED:
Marcin Gortat
David Lee
Ramon Sessions
Glen Davis
Leon Powe
Paul Millsap
Charlie Villanueva
Nate Robinson
This list doesn't even included guys that can opt out if they so desire like: Carlos Boozer, Mehmet Okur & Al Harrington.
If the report was true, Turk was nuts to turn down $9 million/year. That was a gift!
I totally agree it reminds me of when Desean Stevenson turned down that 3 year 10 mil deal and ended up with the minimum and got lucky to get that.

There are only 2 teams in the NBA with cap that are looking at Hedo. Detroit and Portland. Now that Orlando has carter that just cost Hedo a lot of leverage when negotiating with those 2 teams.

My guess is that his agent thought that he could hold Orlando hostage for a better deal. Boy will Hedo be pissed when he has to sign for 8 mil a season and he loses money because of his agent.
disappointed

Council Bluffs, IA

#40 Jun 27, 2009
steve wrote:
<quoted text>I hope your not driving(well at least you can do some reading with your time). the good thing about the internet is you can be whoever you want to be. don't bother replying because i'll wait to answer when somebody that knows the game replys. start going to some local high school games, watch some college games(espn) then make the jump to the nba in a couple of years you can get back on and maybe people won't laugh at you
I see it is time to start ignoring the troller.

Dude you have no insight so I find it funny you act like you've brought anything to the table.

Again I'm sure you are acting this way to get attention so don't feel bad when I start ignoring your shots at me. Seeing as you haven't even had any good ones. But I feel the need to laugh at you one last time before ignoring you.

You've obviously either never watched a NBA game or you are just typing to try and get a rise out of people. Your kindergarten responses of the "nana nana poo poo, I'm rubber your glue" variety makes me think it's because you're seeking attention. So enjoy my last post to you.

BTW I bet when people read this thread they're laughing at you're lack of basketball knowledge a lot more than they are at mine.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Marcin Gortat Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Kings Mystified By Wizards, 113-99 (Dec '15) Dec '15 Fart news 3
News Wizards jump on Pacers early (May '14) May '14 Andrew 9
News NBA Playoff Preview - Indiana vs. Washington (May '14) May '14 youchinksareuglyi... 1
News What Suns Should Do With Fifth Pick (Jun '13) Jun '13 south philly 3
News Suns 108, Timberwolves 98: Minnesota loses 12th... (Apr '11) Apr '11 clueless 1
News NBA rescinds technical foul against Boston's Pe... (May '10) May '10 ADalton 1
News Celtics hold off Magic for 95-92 victory (May '10) May '10 money man 10
More from around the web