Veteran center Adonal Foyle expected to return to Orlando Magic

It looks as if the Orlando Magic will find their extra big man to provide depth behind all-star Dwight Howard . Read more
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Dallas

Jacksonville, FL

#42 Jul 17, 2008
Foyle's a really ncie guy and everything, only problem I got with him is he doesn't do much when he's out there. That's the problem with this whole team a bunch of really nice guys, I'd like to see someone come out there (mostly a big guy) who plays with some serious aggresion every time, a freakin enforcer type.
canner

United States

#43 Jul 17, 2008
What's the matter with "Mitchell UK"? Does he get bad satellite reception up in Ontario? Foyle has had it. He has not kept in shape. He CANNOT defend around the basket and he only gets rebounds when he's alone under the hoop. And yet, he opted out of his contract because he wanted his minutes during the playoffs? I see the Magic signing him for one and only one reason: him being one of Otis' proteges. If he's SO good with the players, why doesn't Otis sign him on as an assistant coach?

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#44 Jul 17, 2008
canner wrote:
What's the matter with "Mitchell UK"? Does he get bad satellite reception up in Ontario? Foyle has had it. He has not kept in shape. He CANNOT defend around the basket and he only gets rebounds when he's alone under the hoop. And yet, he opted out of his contract because he wanted his minutes during the playoffs? I see the Magic signing him for one and only one reason: him being one of Otis' proteges. If he's SO good with the players, why doesn't Otis sign him on as an assistant coach?
Nothing wrong with me, chief, I am just looking at this from a realistic point of view. Foyle will not be a major player for Orlando next season. If and when he gets of the bench it will be due to injuries and foul trouble. The Magic don't have a lot of money left to spend on free agents, much less ones who aren't going to play much. So picking up a professional like Foyle is not a bad move.

Am I to assume that you are one of those fans who expects the Magic to pick up big reputation players to be a 13th - 15th man? We aren't the Knicks, who waste MLE money on players who spend the entirety of their contract on the IR list.
DBJORK

Lafayette, CO

#45 Jul 17, 2008
Mitchell UK wrote:
<quoted text>
Nothing wrong with me, chief, I am just looking at this from a realistic point of view. Foyle will not be a major player for Orlando next season. If and when he gets of the bench it will be due to injuries and foul trouble. The Magic don't have a lot of money left to spend on free agents, much less ones who aren't going to play much. So picking up a professional like Foyle is not a bad move.
Am I to assume that you are one of those fans who expects the Magic to pick up big reputation players to be a 13th - 15th man? We aren't the Knicks, who waste MLE money on players who spend the entirety of their contract on the IR list.
Good post..6 more fouls for very little money if nothing else. I still would like to see the Magic get another PF along with keeping Foyle just to add more depth. Kwame would be nice, though I don't know how cheap he'd come.

Since: Jan 08

Gotha, FL

#46 Jul 17, 2008
Your right about Kwame probably being out of our price range but we can still work out a sign and trade for him and/or Crittendon.

Your also right about lazy weed head Harrision.

I would like to see Randolph Morris. i think he has upside and is a former teamate of Dwight. Couple him, D Howard and Javaris and you will have a happy bunch of ATLiens
Mitchell UK wrote:
<quoted text>
Once Foyle is signed, we will still only have 14 players on the roster. Re-signing him does not necessarily mean we aren't going to look for more depth in the frontcourt. He's 6'11", he can defend, block a few shots and rebound - there are plenty of worse players to have sat at the end of the bench.
I'd love to see us go after a guy like Kwame Brown. He's never going to live up the the no.1 pick hype, but he could be a guy who will get you 7 ppg, 7 rpg and a block or two per night off the bench, if he is motivated. I think he could fit in well in Orlando - playing in a frontcourt with Dwight, Lewis and Turk, there would be no pressure whatsoever for him to be 'the' guy, he could play his role. Don't think it is that realistic that we could get him, given that we only have the minimum to offer now, and whilst he will prob be available cheap, someone will give him more than that.
I definitely wouldn't want Harrison here. The guy is lazy and unmotivated, and not only has he violated the NBA's drug policy, he has also actively spoken out against it, which suggests he can't be counted upon to stop using. He doesn't have anywhere near enough upside to take a risk on.

“Are You Kidding Me? SHAQ left?”

Since: Feb 08

Orlando[Alt.Springs]-Houston

#47 Jul 18, 2008
Not to be harsh but this guy just didnt do jack last year.
I'm not sure what kind of backup would he provide. I know he is a great guy and all off the court but on court productivity wise, I really didnt want this guy to come back. I might as well have Garrity back. lol

#48 Jul 18, 2008
STH wrote:
<quoted text>
Every team needs to have third options at the end of the bench and it is not reasonable or even possible to sign 15 starter-quality players. It is so funny to hear people criticize the players we sign to round out the roster like they are being signed as a starter. We have Dwight playing most of the center minutes and getting paid truckloads. What would you suggest? Make a move for Tim Duncan or Yao to back him up? How would you accomplish or pay for that? If you can think of a better player to come in for minimum salary and ride the bench for all but 8 minutes a night, let me hear it. As it stands he is capable and positive influence on chemistry.
You are on the money, but Foyle is a crybaby. He was crying a lot when Gortat was getting more minutes. And he was the one saying he will not return if not getting enough minutes. So there you go. Cheap backup yes....but this fat slow man wants more minutes, and Gortat is in much better shape now.

#49 Jul 18, 2008
Mitchell UK wrote:
<quoted text>
Once Foyle is signed, we will still only have 14 players on the roster. Re-signing him does not necessarily mean we aren't going to look for more depth in the frontcourt. He's 6'11", he can defend, block a few shots and rebound - there are plenty of worse players to have sat at the end of the bench..
Mitchell, this is what we all said last year...this was his rap before he came here....I have to say, he was very dissapointing last year. Dwight always had to hurry back in the line up due to him not keeping up with our run and gun style. He is a great guy but just too slow and not what he used to be. I know he is cheap and good filler but I doubt he is even that anymore. Worse of all he is not content with minutes he is getting. With Gortat possibly being the second option now, I dont know he will be ok with that.
We'll see.

Location hidden

#50 Jul 18, 2008
O-MAGIC wrote:
Not to be harsh but this guy just didnt do jack last year.
I'm not sure what kind of backup would he provide. I know he is a great guy and all off the court but on court productivity wise, I really didnt want this guy to come back. I might as well have Garrity back. lol
http://www.nba.com/statistics/player/Rebounds...

http://www.nba.com/statistics/player/Blocks.j...

He ranked 33rd in the league in rebounds per 48 minutes last season, and 14th in blocks per 48. Look at some of the guys he was ahead of.

He's past whatever prime he had, and he shouldn't be part of the regular rotation (unless he proves us all wrong, of course), but as an emergency reserve center, he is pretty good.
canner

United States

#51 Jul 18, 2008
Mitchell UK wrote:
<quoted text>
He ranked 33rd in the league in rebounds per 48 minutes last season, and 14th in blocks per 48. Look at some of the guys he was ahead of.
He's past whatever prime he had, and he shouldn't be part of the regular rotation (unless he proves us all wrong, of course), but as an emergency reserve center, he is pretty good.
It's good that you use statistics to back up your arguments, but you are taking these numbers out of context. Foyle's minutes are mostly against 2nd and 3rd stringers. One cannot, for example, compare Amare's RP48 with Foyle's, as Amare has to really battle against opponents in their prime. No, the Magic need to get young legs who are physically able to do a decent job of backing up Howard when he gets in foul trouble. Neither Battie nor Foyle can defend effectively against the heavier and/or younger starting centers throughout the league. If no better player can be found in all of the basketball universe, then, by all means, sign him, but to a ONE year contract. Then we would at least get partial reimbursement from the league for his salary.

#52 Jul 18, 2008
Mitchell UK wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand where you are coming from Mitchell, but those stats are just that...stats. His productivity on court doesnt really help the team. We need a filler that can be stable on court presence when need be. Foyle is a liability when DH comes off. Besides, Gortat will definitely see more time than him.
With this team...the makeup of this team, he just doesnt fit.
DBJORK

Lafayette, CO

#53 Jul 18, 2008
O-MAGIC wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand where you are coming from Mitchell, but those stats are just that...stats. His productivity on court doesnt really help the team. We need a filler that can be stable on court presence when need be. Foyle is a liability when DH comes off. Besides, Gortat will definitely see more time than him.
With this team...the makeup of this team, he just doesnt fit.
Who else would you suggest for the third option center. Maybe bring in someone else and use Gortat for the third option, but if we're unable to do something like that, I don't really see Foyle as being a bad option. If nothing else he's 6 extra fouls against some of the bigger teams and a big body to fill the paint while Howard breathes. I think bring him in. If things show that he's not cutting it. Try to make a mid season trade around Feb.(Barring that we still have trade options such as Brian Cook or who ever) I agree that you could do alot worse than foyle for a third option center. Just his leadership in the YOUNG locker room will be a positive. OR,,,,,,,we could make Ewing come out of retirement and play the third option,,hell,,have him start over Howard... Go Ewing....
DBJORK

Lafayette, CO

#54 Jul 18, 2008
Tzar wrote:
"If the Magic do not offer Garrity a contract, he would likely retire rather than re-locate" REALLY?????? that has been the case for the last 8 years... they should resign him and trade him for Lebron James , 2 draft picks and cash...
I agree!!!We should make it a three team deal...we would send garrity, brian cook, vander wiede,and a pack of charmin ultra to Clevland who would then send Lebron to orlando and Joe smith and a pack of orange tick tacks to Miami who would then send Wade to Orlando and Pat Rileys collection of Hawain shirts to cleveland..Maybe the heat would be gracious enough to give Rileys comb to the cavs as well. I doubt though that riley would be willing to part with his comb...he wouldnt be able to look like an outsider any more...

Location hidden

#55 Jul 18, 2008
canner wrote:
<quoted text>
It's good that you use statistics to back up your arguments, but you are taking these numbers out of context. Foyle's minutes are mostly against 2nd and 3rd stringers. One cannot, for example, compare Amare's RP48 with Foyle's, as Amare has to really battle against opponents in their prime.
What does it matter who he gets his numbers against?

Foyle is a backup. He plays against players of similar status - other backups. And he puts up very good numbers against those players. If we were signing him to play in the starting lineup against the likes of Amare and co, then yes, the fact that his solid rebounding and shot blocking comes against inferior opponents would be of concern. But since we are asking him to play against opponents' 2nd stringers, his numbers against 2nd stringers - which are very good - are entirely relevant.

You're talking about Foyle and Battie not being able to defend the younger starting centers in the league, but that isn't, and won't be, their role. They are backups, and in Foyle's case, likely third string. They will matchup against backups. And a year without Tony Battie seems to have dimmed peoples' memories as to what a good post defender he is.

I would love to see us sign a young player with big upside instead of Foyle, but those players are hard to come by and more expensive than the vets' minimum, which as you say, the league partially reimburses Orlando for anyway.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Marcin Gortat Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Wizards jump on Pacers early (May '14) May '14 Andrew 9
News NBA Playoff Preview - Indiana vs. Washington (May '14) May '14 youchinksareuglyi... 1
News What Suns Should Do With Fifth Pick (Jun '13) Jun '13 south philly 3
News Suns 108, Timberwolves 98: Minnesota loses 12th... (Apr '11) Apr '11 clueless 1
News NBA rescinds technical foul against Boston's Pe... (May '10) May '10 ADalton 1
News Celtics hold off Magic for 95-92 victory (May '10) May '10 money man 10
News No Magic Trick: Boston smothers Orlando 92-88, ... (May '10) May '10 Cleveland 1
More from around the web