Magic draft pick Courtney Lee to sign $6 million contract

Shooting guard Courtney Lee, the Magic's first-round pick, will sign a four-year, $6 million contract as early as today. Full Story
David

Lake Mary, FL

#24 Jul 1, 2008
What will everyone say when Lee wins Rookie of the Year? Who cares how much money he is earning I am just guessing anyone bitching about it is just plain jealous.

Since: May 07

Leesburg, FL

#25 Jul 1, 2008
Sheesh wrote:
While most of us are struggling to cover day to day expenses, the Magic pay 6 Million for some frackin ball player.
All "Real" Magic fans, please tell me if you are tired of all the "non-magic" fans and non-sports fans in general wasting all this space and insulting the intelligence of all of us by posting these stupid comments day after day. If you don't know that there is a rookie scale and all the rookies are slotted by the number that they are picked, than you are not a fan with enough intelligence to speak on the topic. If you don't like the team, well thats your right, but if you're just talking out of the side of your neck with no idea what you're talking about, than shut the hell up, get the hell off the computer, and go away! We're all tired of you.
King of Pine Hills

United States

#26 Jul 1, 2008
Brooks Thompson, David Vaughn, Brian Evans, Johnny Taylor Steven Hunter, Jeryl Sasser, Reece Gaines, Fran Vasquez and now Magic fans, another to add to that prestigious list, Courtney Lee! And we award the owner for this string of stupidity a new arena. What a country!
d12rocks

Newnan, GA

#27 Jul 1, 2008
UF ALUM wrote:
I don't know much about this guy, but from what I've seen, he looks like a Grant Hill type of player... tape those ankles, Courtney! Good luck!
no actuall he is very durable and he has an exellent mid range and long range game he can lean on unlike mr. glassbones.
d12rocks

Newnan, GA

#28 Jul 1, 2008
Dan S wrote:
Christ.
You guys are ready to crucify the kid, and I bet 99 percent of you haven't seen him play more than 5 games in his college career.
Give him a chance before you get all uppity about Otis being an idiot and this kid being a scrub.
BTW,$1.5 million a year is not THAT much money for a first-round pick. Chill out.
thank you
d12rocks

Newnan, GA

#29 Jul 1, 2008
Deezworld wrote:
<quoted text> All "Real" Magic fans, please tell me if you are tired of all the "non-magic" fans and non-sports fans in general wasting all this space and insulting the intelligence of all of us by posting these stupid comments day after day. If you don't know that there is a rookie scale and all the rookies are slotted by the number that they are picked, than you are not a fan with enough intelligence to speak on the topic. If you don't like the team, well thats your right, but if you're just talking out of the side of your neck with no idea what you're talking about, than shut the hell up, get the hell off the computer, and go away! We're all tired of you.
amen . iseee courtney as a top 10 rookie this year.
< http://www.nba.com/draft2008/prospect_highlig... ;
Drew

Mount Dora, FL

#30 Jul 1, 2008
Has anybody heard anything from Fran regarding next year?
Joseph

United States

#31 Jul 1, 2008
Drew wrote:
Has anybody heard anything from Fran regarding next year?
Ah, Let's hope not. Though Otis is probably chomping at the bit to sign this guy who can't even play in the Euro League.
Psychoriasis

Quezon City, Philippines

#32 Jul 1, 2008
That's 6M spread for 4 years guys! Relax!!!

Next step the Magic should do is get Pietrus and were set at the 2-guard. We don't need scorers in the 2. We need perimeter defenders to lessen Howard's load in defending the paint from slashers.

Trade away JJ for a future pick so he can get playing time on another team.. Bogans can be the 3rd stringer for both guard positions.
Psychoriasis

Quezon City, Philippines

#33 Jul 1, 2008
I have another idea. Make JJ the free throw shooting coach for the team. That will put him to some use...
Longtimefan

Elkton, FL

#34 Jul 1, 2008
Well actually I just looked up the rookie scale and Otis IS over paying Lee. by about $1 MILLION. WHY? Don't know. I hope he is worth it.. GEESH OTIS!!! You should be paying him about $5 million over 4 years. That extra MILLION could come in handy trying to sign someone.
Michael in Ocoee

Apopka, FL

#35 Jul 1, 2008
Longtimefan wrote:
Well actually I just looked up the rookie scale and Otis IS over paying Lee. by about $1 MILLION. WHY? Don't know. I hope he is worth it.. GEESH OTIS!!! You should be paying him about $5 million over 4 years. That extra MILLION could come in handy trying to sign someone.
Hmmmm....interesting. Can you provide the link?
otis is not to smart

Orange Park, FL

#36 Jul 1, 2008
google nba rookie salary pay scale.he is overpaying.he is so not qualified for this job.he is just happy to have a job.he grew up real poor and had to hang with a friends family to have a dinner here in jax when he was little. so he is grateful,but lacks the fire to be a gm.he is way over his head.....
Longtimefan

Elkton, FL

#37 Jul 1, 2008
Michael in Ocoee wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmmmm....interesting. Can you provide the link?
Here ya go..you need to do some calculating but all the info is there....http://www.nbpa.com/c ba_exhibits/exhibitB.php
nanningbob

Nanning, China

#38 Jul 1, 2008
Dan S wrote:
Christ.
You guys are ready to crucify the kid, and I bet 99 percent of you haven't seen him play more than 5 games in his college career.
Give him a chance before you get all uppity about Otis being an idiot and this kid being a scrub.
BTW,$1.5 million a year is not THAT much money for a first-round pick. Chill out.
Boy you sure are generous, 5 games, bet you they havent seen one. Cant believe the ignorance here. His salary is determined by Union contract. There were no negotiations for salary. Most of the people here need to get informed before they post.
George

United States

#39 Jul 1, 2008
Courtney Lee is worth every penny of the $6M contract. He is a very smart and athletic guard. He will be an immediate impact player this season.
UF ALUM

Longwood, FL

#40 Jul 2, 2008
d12rocks wrote:
<quoted text>no actuall he is very durable and he has an exellent mid range and long range game he can lean on unlike mr. glassbones.
Thats what I was getting at... his midrange game reminded me of Grant Hill. I've only seen highlights of his play and most of them were him coming off a screen and shooting or a drive to the basket, stop, shoot... looked good...

I thought we needed a PF so Lewis could move to SG and Battie would have a backup? Last year all I heard was that we needed another big body to help out Dwight down low and how RL was out of position...
Mad Magic

United States

#41 Jul 2, 2008
Probably too late to get any feed back. Once again I have put idots where they belong.

So every black man (i mean nba player) is street thug right? The tats bother you? Did you read the article on why he has one of those tats...stupid people.

We all know the money they make is retarded. You dont like it dont watch, oh but you do watch and you read because you care. It makes youre little day to bash anyone one doing better then you. If your profession where a sport and they paid you a mil'(that's million in street thug speak, I am of the dark skin orgin), you would jump at it.

A rod has made a half billion playing basball.David beckham signed a 250 mil' contract to play soccer....I should stop there, Im messing with the white people now...

Hate is a four letter word
Mad Magic

United States

#42 Jul 2, 2008
UF ALUM wrote:
<quoted text>
Thats what I was getting at... his midrange game reminded me of Grant Hill. I've only seen highlights of his play and most of them were him coming off a screen and shooting or a drive to the basket, stop, shoot... looked good...
I thought we needed a PF so Lewis could move to SG and Battie would have a backup? Last year all I heard was that we needed another big body to help out Dwight down low and how RL was out of position...
I though we where going after a big body too. However RL is a 3 not a 2. the problem with that is so is Hedo.They worked together last year, but in the end we all know what happend.

this is just a thought...(I know Lee said he is a 2)Lee play PG a little bit in College...

PG lee 6'5
SG Turk 6'10
SF RL 6'10
PF TB 6'11
C D12 6'11

A man can dream right?

Since: May 07

Leesburg, FL

#43 Jul 3, 2008
otis is not to smart wrote:
google nba rookie salary pay scale.he is overpaying.he is so not qualified for this job.he is just happy to have a job.he grew up real poor and had to hang with a friends family to have a dinner here in jax when he was little. so he is grateful,but lacks the fire to be a gm.he is way over his head.....
Otis Smith is a well respected man in the NBA, an in this community. For you to bring up this mans childhood and to say that he is somehow lucky to have this job is disrespectful and shows just what type of person you are. Even if this is true, I respect and admire Otis even more, because he was able to come from humble beginings, and has made a very good life for himself and his family. If you disagree with the job that you think he is doing, well that fine, but to bring this kind of stuff into it, is undeserving and classless.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Marcin Gortat Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Wizards jump on Pacers early May '14 Andrew 9
NBA Playoff Preview - Indiana vs. Washington May '14 youchinksareuglyi... 1
What Suns Should Do With Fifth Pick (Jun '13) Jun '13 south philly 3
Suns 108, Timberwolves 98: Minnesota loses 12th... (Apr '11) Apr '11 clueless 1
NBA rescinds technical foul against Boston's Pe... (May '10) May '10 ADalton 1
Celtics hold off Magic for 95-92 victory (May '10) May '10 money man 10
No Magic Trick: Boston smothers Orlando 92-88, ... (May '10) May '10 Cleveland 1

Marcin Gortat People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE