Nelson's return a nice problem

Earlier this week, Magic point guard Jameer Nelson prophesied that it would probably take "a miracle" to complete a dramatically fast rehab on his surgically-repaired shoulder in time to play in the Finals. Full Story
magicfaninTN

United States

#2 Jun 4, 2009
Oye, I think Jameer hurt them. Rafer played out of rhythm. Johnson's off-the-bench hustle was benched. Turk wasn't the ball distributor that he has been through the playoffs. They were close in the first quarter. Jameer contributed and put them up at the end of the first quarter, but then the wheels came off in the second quarter when he ran the show. The offense was off all night. Doesn't that say something about the point guard? Now, I think Jameer's a great player. I hope the rust came off by being in a game situation and they figure this thing out by game 2 and steal one on the road early. Go Magic!
Justin

Long Island City, NY

#3 Jun 5, 2009
I agree! I thought they played him to much in the 2nd quarter. He gave them a nice bost of energy for a few minutes but it was down hill after that. Maybe for game 2 give him 5 minutes at a time for that spurt of energy and then back to Rafer. Gortat played a great game while in though. It seems they always make a run when he's in.
If it aint broke

Deland, FL

#4 Jun 5, 2009
Playing Jameer instead of Alston was great for the Lakers. He comes back ahead of schedule to face the best competition a conference has to offer? Makes no sense. It is almost like they threw the game.
BillySmith

Tallahassee, FL

#5 Jun 5, 2009
J.Nelson played very well considering. He has three assists in about 2 min of game play when he first came in. Magic couldnt make shots. Everyone was 2- for 10 or worse. This was a bad shooting game with bad ball movement. Rafer sucked it up, and im not blaming nelson for that. Shut up you f'ing swines. go magic win game 2.
El_Stupido

Boynton Beach, FL

#6 Jun 5, 2009
What the frak were they thinking? Stan Van Gundy has done a great job this year and throughout the playoffs, but why couldn't anybody in Orlando management see that what got us this far in the playoffs was working fine? The NBA Finals is not the time to tinker. If the Magic lose this series, this will have to go down as the most boneheaded decision in Magic history. Now, that our rhythm/mojo/groove has been screwed with - I hope we can recover in time to compete in this series.

What now? Stick with Jameer in the rotation or go back to Rafer 1st, AJ 2nd?

Stupid, stupid, stupid management decision to bring back Jameer.
Tato

Apopka, FL

#7 Jun 5, 2009
J.Nelson back = LOSE FINAL.
JOSE PEREZ

San Juan, Puerto Rico

#8 Jun 5, 2009
To SVG and OS: In 1663 Glaser defined CHEMISTRY as a scientific art, by which one learns to draw from the bodies the different substances on their composition, and how to unite them again, and exalt them to a higher perfection. Once this chemistry is obtained you do not introduce a new body capable of altering that chemistry. In sports, the intangible that binds a team together is known as "team chemistry". This intangible makes the difference between an ordinary season and an outstanding one. During this season SVG developed and enhanced it and the Magic had obtained the chemistry capable of catapulting the team to the championship. Why then, at the start of the most crucial series, a new body was introduced to the composition? The replacement of your point guard at the start of the NBA Finals is like replacing your fourth man at bat at the start of the World Series, or you quarterback at the start of the Super Bowl. This is insane. We all saw the result last night. Rafer was out of rhythm. Johnson did not play. Turk and Lewis were out of mojo. Even Superman did not fly. The team chemistry was altered and broken. There still time. Please restore the chemistry immediately. Otherwise, the Magic will lose this series badly. Go Magic!
Tato

Apopka, FL

#9 Jun 5, 2009
From February, the magic ply a Nice and Beutiful Basket game, WHY?
NO J.NELSON.
BAD DECISION GUNDY AND SMITH.
SEE YA NEXT YEAR.
FANofMagic92

Valdosta, GA

#10 Jun 5, 2009
man Alston was AWFUL....But Im not going to single him out,because EVERYONE was awful.But,I have to say,I think this team changed because of Nelsons return,which is what i was afraid of....Our chemistry is altered....
Jeff

Orlando, FL

#11 Jun 5, 2009
SVG was suckered in by the 3 fantastic minutes he played and wouldnt sub for him. The guy has been injured for 4 months. You dont leave him out there a whole quarter. He came in dished out some assists. Hit a few shots. Thats all you can ask of him. Playing a whole quarter was just stupid coaching. He shouldnt be played more than 5 or 6 minutes in any half. Also its not like the game didnt get out of hand at the end. You could have brought him in for close to the entire 4th quarter after we were down by 24 points.

Rafer should still get starter minutes but both Jameer and AJ should back him up. Jameer is the better player but you cant play him more than 10 minutes and Rafer usually plays 30 minutes a game so that leaves 8 minutes for AJ to be out there at some point in time.

Our PGs arent exactly that great. If Jameer was 100% he would be fine. But hes not, hes probably 75% right now as far as conditioning and stamina.

Rafer seems to be a consistently horrible shooter, unless we're playing at home. AJ has moments where he looks lost out there too but sometimes he does fairly well. The only disruption this could serve is that Hedo may not be asked to bring the ball up the floor anymore.

I cant count the number of missed shots last night. I mean, we're wide open and none of them are going in. Even if half of them drop its a game. We would have lost last night anyway unless we played perfect but we didnt and LA played great.
Chris

United States

#12 Jun 5, 2009
Our chemistry was altered in a good way when Jameer first came in the game. The problem was that he got about 15 more minutes than he should have.

The fact that the Magic couldn't throw the ball in the ocean didn't help either. Even the non-Jeff Van Gundy announcer said the Magic were getting good shots. They just couldn't make them to save their lives.
Bill Kennedy

Charleston, SC

#13 Jun 5, 2009
Putting Nelson into the lineup at the start of the Final Playoffs was a big mistake. The Point Guards Alston and Anthony Johnson got them here and Gundy should have stuck with that winning combination. Plenty of time, after the season, to reinstate Nelson into the system.
Bob

Westminster, CA

#14 Jun 5, 2009
I think Nelson could be the key to this series if he can play enough solid minutes. He is scary good when he is 100%, which he is not right now, but if the Magic can win Game 2 and extend to 6 or 7 games, he might be a difference maker later on.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Marcin Gortat Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Wizards jump on Pacers early (May '14) May '14 Andrew 9
NBA Playoff Preview - Indiana vs. Washington (May '14) May '14 youchinksareuglyi... 1
What Suns Should Do With Fifth Pick (Jun '13) Jun '13 south philly 3
Suns 108, Timberwolves 98: Minnesota loses 12th... (Apr '11) Apr '11 clueless 1
NBA rescinds technical foul against Boston's Pe... (May '10) May '10 ADalton 1
Celtics hold off Magic for 95-92 victory (May '10) May '10 money man 10
No Magic Trick: Boston smothers Orlando 92-88, ... (May '10) May '10 Cleveland 1
More from around the web