NBA's luxury might force the Orlando Magic to part ways with He...

Fittingly, the Magic close their regular season Wednesday on April 15 - tax day. Full Story
Liberals Are Crazy

Orlando, FL

#21 Apr 10, 2009
Tito wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, Is that simple. I like Lewis but we can do better. Stay with Hedo and get Bosh or Carmelo or Wade. Cause Lewis takes Superstar $ and play average. We can get two average and 1 superstar for 120mil.
Lewis is an all star.
Wojtek

Tampa, FL

#22 Apr 10, 2009
Lets trade for better owners who are not cheap .
The Living Tribunal

Oviedo, FL

#23 Apr 10, 2009
Tiffany wrote:
Their gonna sign hedo again,hes the best turkish player in the nba,and his game is on a whole new level,he does everything,and wit dwight around them,theirs no telling how good he could be next year,dwight makes his teammates better,including hedo
Huh?
su par

Deland, FL

#24 Apr 10, 2009
As this bear market progresses, balance will occur in the sporting world between what we will pay to watch a game and to enjoy it and the insane prices now charged for everything for the event. Increasing poverty tells you the insanity of what is paid to athletes in sports the last few decades. These high priced contracts will be remembered fondly by those who collected them. The average person's savings and economic worth is decreasing while the retirement person has a pension he can not be sure of collecting. My home has dropped by a third in value so far. Watching an NBA player who makes several million dollars a year get four points a game and a couple of rebounds is a suckers play. But there are many people who are wealthy or earn a good living and as fans have a say. More power to them. I hope things improve for the rest of us. But when the "end of the day arrives", I think prices will be what they were a few decades ago and we will truly enjoy going to a sporting event again.
Mike Kyle

Largo, FL

#25 Apr 10, 2009
Mr Devos, we're not asking for you to break the bank bringing in new players. We just want to keep the guys we have. You're getting a new stadium, keeping these guys together is the least you can do.
Aron

Orlando, FL

#26 Apr 10, 2009
Well all of us fans who know something about the NBA know this day is coming. It's going to be real hard to keep the Polish Hammer and personally I don't care if Hedo goes. For all I care, he can bolt.

The whole problem is Rashards contract. It's waaaaay too much for a guy who doesn't even average 20 ppg. I like Rashards game, but if we could trade him and keep Turk, that would make more sense. Use the extra money from Rashards contract to sign and trade for a better PF. We also could get rid of Battie whose contract is pretty hefty for a career back up (I like Battie, but the money isn't right for what he produces).

A trade with Utah for either Boozer or Milsap to go along with Korver or Harpring would be great (yawl remember Matt, we drafted him). Throw in a 2nd round pick from us and that would match the in quality.

Milsap/Korver for Lewis/2nd round pick
Boozer/Harpring for Lewis/2nd round pick

I’m not sure of how the numbers stack up, but I know it would be close, because Milsap and Boozer both want new contracts. One is a restricted FA and the other is a regular FA.
Lil Jackie

Chesterfield, MO

#27 Apr 10, 2009
I don't get it, Brian. First, you right that they could trade Battie to a team under the cap. Why in the world would a team with precious cap room want to take on Battie without giving up anything (e.g., bad contracts) in return. It can be done but is just a silly suggestion. Also, Maggette's deal is only for $48 million, and you always keep putting $50 million. Why? Thanks.

“Life's a Beach”

Since: Dec 07

Cocoa Beach

#28 Apr 10, 2009
Who knows, in 2010, maybe the Raptors will do a sign and trade with us for Lewis as they don't want him to just walk.... I'm sure their contracts would be comparable.

We need to hold onto both Hedo and Marcin. I doubt we will be able to keep both!

This team has great chemistry, I hate to break up any of the main pieces.

Tony Battie is valuable because he's a serviceable big man and brings the veteran leadership.

I like MP too, but maybe someone might want his contract?
Ralphy

Port Orange, FL

#29 Apr 10, 2009
The Magic need to find a way to keep both of these guys. If Hedo is due $7.3 next year and he is looking for $10, they need to work it out. Gortat is good enough to start for a few NBA teams. I hope that the Magic can get "creative" as Otis said to make this happen.

I doubt that J.J. will resign and Rafer Alston will not be needed once Jameer is back. I think that would save the Magic about $7 million next year. Then give $3 more to Turk and $4 to Marcin.
jtm

Mount Dora, FL

#30 Apr 10, 2009
Tito, Cory, do you guys have ANY idea how the NBA works?
Aron

Orlando, FL

#31 Apr 10, 2009
Well all of us fans who know something about the NBA know this day is coming. It's going to be real hard to keep the Polish Hammer and personally I don't care if Hedo goes. For all I care, he can bolt.

The whole problem is Rashards contract. It's waaaaay too much for a guy who doesn't even average 20 ppg. I like Rashards game, but if we could trade him and keep Turk, that would make more sense. Use the extra money from Rashards contract to sign and trade for a better PF. We also could get rid of Battie whose contract is pretty hefty for a career back up (I like Battie, but the money isn't right for what he produces).

A trade with Utah for either Boozer or Milsap to go along with Korver or Harpring would be great (yawl remember Matt, we drafted him). Throw in a 2nd round pick from us and that would match the in quality.

Milsap/Korver for Lewis/2nd round pick
Boozer/Harpring for Lewis/2nd round pick

Im not sure of how the numbers stack up, but I know it would be close, because Milsap and Boozer both want new contracts. One is a restricted FA and the other is a regular FA.

“If you say it, back it up”

Since: Jan 08

Ocoee, FL

#32 Apr 10, 2009
With Jameer coming back, we have all the pieces. I best hope is for Turk to not opt out next year. I have a hard time believing, in this economy...and looking at next year's free agent class, that Turk can command more than $7 mil/year by opting out this year. His agent is delusional if he thinks he will get Maggette money in this current economic climate.

I love Gortat, but not sure how we can make the numbers work without going over the cap. With Jameer and Wilks healthy, we no longer need AJ now that we have Alston. Or, you keep AJ and trade Alston's expiring contract to free up his remaining $5 mil/yr. If we really want to keep Gortat, we could trade Battie's expiring contract freeing up $6.2 mil. It is doable, but will not be painless. Lewis and the remaining 4 years on his contract are not going anywhere.

Expiring contracts we may be able to unload to free up cap space:

Battie, Redick, AJ, and Alston. Already gone will be Foyle, Richardson, and Lue.

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/orlando.htm
Joe

Tampa, FL

#33 Apr 10, 2009
they all should suck it up and accept a slightly lower salary in order to stay together..

oh wait.. this is the NBA.. they'd never do that.. I even had hope that Grant Hill would repay us a few pennies on the dollar, but look how that went....

If there was a leader on this team, That's what he should say... "I'll give up 10% or whatever to keep us together. I challenge everyone else to do the same."

Seriously,, what is the difference of $5Mill a yr vs $6mill? live in a $3.2M house vs a $2.1M????

We should start a letter writing campaign.
mdt2315

New York, NY

#34 Apr 10, 2009
PAY THE "F"ing TAX MAGIC. Sometimes you have to pay to continue to be good. You would jeopardize our franchises future instead of paying 3-4 million in taxes? Are you freaking kidding? If management does this and takes the risk of tearing our nucleus apart, good luck retaining fans if there is drop off in performance. The fans have paid their dues with the front office mistakes of the past. Let's not go down that road again. We have a good thing going dont ruin it because you're to cheap to pay the tax. We have to retain Turk because he is our play maker besides Alston and Jameer. And you are thinking of getting rid of them and/or our extra big men who are very effective. Many times you get what you pay for, be cheap with the tax and you're roster moves and you will definitely get what you paid for, which will be poor performances on the court and less fans in the seats. PAY THE FREAKING TAX DEVOS!!! Orlando deserves a top tier franchise. And stop using the small market crap as an excuse not to pay. Orlando is the 16th largest TV market in the US and rising, so that excuse is bull.
Go Magic

Lincolnshire, IL

#35 Apr 10, 2009
"Gortat, a native of Poland, made just $700,000 this season,"

Poor Guy

“"Hoop there it is"”

Since: Mar 09

Windermere, FL

#36 Apr 10, 2009
We need Hedo. The difference next year between the tax limit and our current payroll is $2 million. Just get rid of the waste JJ Redick ($2.1 million), Tyron Lue ($2.3),Jeremy Richard ($.8), and maybe Mickael Pietrus ($5.3) and we'll be fine.
Aron

Orlando, FL

#37 Apr 10, 2009
LOL Topix/Sentinel keeps deleting my post, why????

I'm just stating scenarios.
Magic

United States

#38 Apr 10, 2009
What's the problem with going over the luxury tax maximum by $1-3 Million? Pay everybody and find a way to advance to the NBA Finals.

The window on Dwight only has 5-7 years left, so the Magic need to keep the team intact and make their title run in these years.
Magic2782

Orlando, FL

#39 Apr 10, 2009
I say somehow give up Anthony Johnson and Tyronn Lue. I mean why would we need more than Jameer Nelson and Rafer Alston?
Aron

Orlando, FL

#40 Apr 10, 2009
Wow, how many times are you going to delete my post?

Are we not aloud to practice our rights as an American citizen?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Marcin Gortat Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Wizards jump on Pacers early May '14 Andrew 9
NBA Playoff Preview - Indiana vs. Washington May '14 youchinksareuglyi... 1
What Suns Should Do With Fifth Pick (Jun '13) Jun '13 south philly 3
Suns 108, Timberwolves 98: Minnesota loses 12th... (Apr '11) Apr '11 clueless 1
NBA rescinds technical foul against Boston's Pe... (May '10) May '10 ADalton 1
Celtics hold off Magic for 95-92 victory (May '10) May '10 money man 10
No Magic Trick: Boston smothers Orlando 92-88, ... (May '10) May '10 Cleveland 1

Marcin Gortat People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE