NBA free-agent shopping list: Will Ma...

NBA free-agent shopping list: Will Magic go for brand names or ...

There are 77 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Jun 30, 2009, titled NBA free-agent shopping list: Will Magic go for brand names or .... In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

The Orlando Magic didn't have a draft pick, but they are now on the clock. Today - a tick after midnight, actually - the NBA free-agency courting period officially began.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

Kylie

Bethlehem, PA

#21 Jul 1, 2009
Hey, speaking of Redick, did he get engaged or not? Inquiring minds wants to know.
Aron

Sanford, FL

#22 Jul 1, 2009
YAY, finally a decent article for a Sentinel staff writing. I like how he mentioned pretty much everyone that the Magic could be interested in. It should give some other clueless Magic/blog readers some idea of what's out on the market.
Lake Magic

Mount Dora, FL

#23 Jul 1, 2009
Here is what makes sense to me.
1. Bring back Bogans he plays SG/SF.(Bench)
2. Matt Barnes is solid look at his numbers last year 10pts, 5 rebs.
3. Gortat sign and trade he is a restricted free agent lets at least get something for him. List of teams that want him: Houston, Dallas, Indiana....Get Something in return Otis like you did for Keyon Dooling.
4. Rasheed Wallace would protect Dwight and make us tougher. But Brandon Bass is 24...
5. I won't miss Hedo but if we could work a sign and trade and get someone back we should.
6. The Magic should go into the tax as we just financed a very nice new arena and we need to fill it with championships.

So if a dream scenario worked out Oralndo might look like this....
1. Dwight/Anderson
2. Rashard/Brandon Bass (Trade for Gortat maybe?)
3.Matt Barnes/m. Pietrus/Bogans
4.Vince/ JJ
5.Jameer/ AJ/ Lue

Plus whatever Otis could get for Gortat and Turk. Draft picks a better back up PG. Rasheed is going to Boston.
MikeBloms

Winter Park, FL

#24 Jul 1, 2009
Top on my Free agent Wish List:
1) Rasheed Wallace
2) Brandon Bass
3) Grant Hill
4) Bird Man Anderson
5) Keith Bogans

and to all you Grant Hill haters come on.... Its not all his fault that his ankle took forever to heal right... he put in alot of work to rehab that thing and it just didnt work out for us.... He plays solid basketball and having him back up Rashard Lewis or Vince Carter would be huge for a championship run..... Grant might have screwed us over when he left for Phoneix but we didnt need him back as much then as we do now.... Winning Heals all scars in my opinion and this guy can help us win.... I say bring him back and let him redeem himself by having a Pietrus-G.Hill bench which would be starters on other teams..... Orlando has a chance to have the best team ever if they get Rasheed and G.Hill in free agency.... That would be count them 6 all starts past and present on our team.... too good to pass up....
MikeBloms

Winter Park, FL

#25 Jul 1, 2009
We really need to get Rasheed, cause if Boston gets him we are in DEEP trouble.... although if they sign Sheed we should try and steal Powe from them....
Huey

Satellite Beach, FL

#26 Jul 1, 2009
PF

Fran Vasquez

rofl

“"Hoop there it is"”

Since: Mar 09

Clermont, FL

#27 Jul 1, 2009
Kylie wrote:
Hey, speaking of Redick, did he get engaged or not? Inquiring minds wants to know.
Yes, the reception is at the Parliament House.

“"Hoop there it is"”

Clermont, FL

#28 Jul 1, 2009
MikeBloms wrote:
and to all you Grant Hill haters come on.... Its not all his fault that his ankle took forever to heal right...
No it's not but he didn't have to leave after sucking the team dry for 7 years. He could have stayed and helped us rebuild, but no being the SELFISH POND SCUM that he is, he left for Phoenix and as far as I'm concerned, HE CAN STAY THERE.

I will have bought my last season ticket if he ever comes back!

“"Hoop there it is"”

Clermont, FL

#29 Jul 1, 2009
MikeBloms wrote:
We really need to get Rasheed, cause if Boston gets him we are in DEEP trouble.... although if they sign Sheed we should try and steal Powe from them....
DITTO ON THAT!
Welcome to the OC

Orlando, FL

#30 Jul 1, 2009
Dr James Naismith wrote:
<quoted text>

I will have bought my last season ticket if he ever comes back!
That just lets us know you are not a true fan. Of all people, you should know this is a business. I don't blame Grant for leaving anymore than I do Shaq or Hedo. If he was healthy, which he was, and he was being offered more money to go to another town that was a contender (at the time), why would he not leave? The magic were still stuck in the middle going nowhere.

If they do sign Grant, leave your Magic Fan card at the door on the way out!!!
MikeBloms

Winter Park, FL

#31 Jul 1, 2009
Welcome to the OC wrote:
<quoted text>
That just lets us know you are not a true fan. Of all people, you should know this is a business. I don't blame Grant for leaving anymore than I do Shaq or Hedo. If he was healthy, which he was, and he was being offered more money to go to another town that was a contender (at the time), why would he not leave? The magic were still stuck in the middle going nowhere.
couldnt have said it better!....... Trust me I was extremely angry with Hill when he left because I felt he was not being loyal.... but the fact of the matter is Ball Players only have a certain amount of years in this league and they are always looking for the best scenario for them and their families great example HEDO this year.... You cant fault them for that... Grant Hill played his butt off every time he stepped on the floor for the magic and most of the time he was in pain but he did his best... If he wants to come help us win a championship im all for it especially for a cheap price.... People need to grow up and understand the business side of sports......
Mem

Istanbul, Turkey

#32 Jul 1, 2009
Free Agents i'd like for magic:

Ronnie Price; would be a great back up PG. He really can shoot&pass, but he was in Sloan's doghouse. He'd be a steal.

Parker; He is a verstile fine role player, can hit shots, has good D.

Keith Bogans; Great D, hits open three, knows the magic system.

Sheed; Can play 4 or 5, hits the 3, gets the rebound, can guard anybody, can teach DH more than Ewing. And he can guarantee games.

Nesterovic; Great for back up Center. Has a decent jumper on foul line, good D, has a lot of playoff experience
Aron

Sanford, FL

#33 Jul 1, 2009
Mem wrote:
Nesterovic; Great for back up Center. Has a decent jumper on foul line, good D, has a lot of playoff experience
I hope you're kidding because this guy is horrible. I think he is done in this league. He might go back overseas and play, but that's about it.

“"Hoop there it is"”

Clermont, FL

#34 Jul 1, 2009
Welcome to the OC wrote:
<quoted text>
He signed for the minimum exception at the time, which he could have gotten here, but no he SPIT IN OUR FACE and looked for the promised land elsewhere. POND SCUM.

And you are naive lemming who will support anything.

They have a word for you - SUCKER.

“"Hoop there it is"”

Clermont, FL

#35 Jul 1, 2009
MikeBloms wrote:
<quoted text>
couldnt have said it better!....... Trust me I was extremely angry with Hill when he left because I felt he was not being loyal.... but the fact of the matter is Ball Players only have a certain amount of years in this league and they are always looking for the best scenario for them and their families great example HEDO this year.... You cant fault them for that... Grant Hill played his butt off every time he stepped on the floor for the magic and most of the time he was in pain but he did his best... If he wants to come help us win a championship im all for it especially for a cheap price.... People need to grow up and understand the business side of sports......
Hill could have stayed here and been loyal for the same money.

But he didn't. He turned his back on us because he thought a championship was closer in Phoenix.

He screwed up - just like Turk did by opting out.

Bye ... Don't let the door hit you in the a** on the way out. And don't come back.
MikeBloms

Winter Park, FL

#36 Jul 1, 2009
Dr James Naismith wrote:
<quoted text>
Hill could have stayed here and been loyal for the same money.
But he didn't. He turned his back on us because he thought a championship was closer in Phoenix.
He screwed up - just like Turk did by opting out.
Bye ... Don't let the door hit you in the **** on the way out. And don't come back.
Damn dog if you really feel that way why watch sports ever?? Any sport you go to this happens day in and day out.... The magic have had plenty of players in and out of here in their brief history it is the way of the game.... Do you think C.Lee feels happy being shipped to New Jersey? NO but he is a player and this is a business!! GROW UP FOOL
Welcome to the OC

Orlando, FL

#37 Jul 1, 2009
Dr James Naismith wrote:
<quoted text>
He signed for the minimum exception at the time, which he could have gotten here, but no he SPIT IN OUR FACE and looked for the promised land elsewhere. POND SCUM.
And you are naive lemming who will support anything.
They have a word for you - SUCKER.
It is a business - get over it!!! It happens all of the time in all sports.
Rob

Orlando, FL

#38 Jul 1, 2009
I agree on pass on Grant Hill. Nothing to do with him jilting the Magic to chase a championship out west, but every team that guy has been traded away from or left has suddenly become good. The Pistons won a championship and made several trips to the eastern conference finals without him, he leaves the Magic and they have two 50 plus win seasons and trip to the finals, so Phoenix would be wise to cut him loose. The last thing the Magic need is another shooting guard/small forward. They have Carter/Pietris/and unfortunately Reddick. I think they need a quality big, to move Rashard Lewis to his natural small forward spot. Rasheed Wallace might be a good fit, but Vangundy is going to get even less sleep trying to figure out how to keep all those "all star" egos in check. If they were going to go into the luxury tax with reckless abandon, why not keep the team together that got you there and give it one more shot. Add a piece here and see if thing work. If it doesn't, dump them next year and rebuild around Lewis, Howard, and Nelson.

“Are You Kidding Me? SHAQ left?”

Since: Feb 08

Orlando[Alt.Springs]-Houston

#39 Jul 1, 2009
Please NO Bogans....He was very VERY inconsistent.
Huge reason he got let go in the first place.

No Rasheed either....He might give this team the mental toughness they need but he is a huge chemistry risk.
We did fine all the way to the Finals with smiling and giggling.

I would consider GHILL if we get really desperate.
Anthony Parker would be a great pickup.
He is a MAGIC killer. lol

My list....not in any order..
Mycdyess,
Bass
AParker
GHill
Gooden

just to start off...
Hugh Jainus

Clearwater, FL

#40 Jul 1, 2009
SHEED!!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Marcin Gortat Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Kings Mystified By Wizards, 113-99 (Dec '15) Dec '15 Fart news 3
News Wizards jump on Pacers early (May '14) May '14 Andrew 9
News NBA Playoff Preview - Indiana vs. Washington (May '14) May '14 youchinksareuglyi... 1
News What Suns Should Do With Fifth Pick (Jun '13) Jun '13 south philly 3
News Suns 108, Timberwolves 98: Minnesota loses 12th... (Apr '11) Apr '11 clueless 1
News NBA rescinds technical foul against Boston's Pe... (May '10) May '10 ADalton 1
News Celtics hold off Magic for 95-92 victory (May '10) May '10 money man 10
More from around the web