Magic's Dwight Howard suspended for Game 6 of Sixers series

Orlando Magic center Dwight Howard has been suspended for Thursday's Game 6 against Philadelphia. Full Story
First Prev
of 9
Next Last
Joe

Altamonte Springs, FL

#170 Apr 29, 2009
Phila wouldn't be playing miami mr. philly kno it all from az.
dsc wrote:
THE MAGIC SHOULD CHANGE THERE NAME 2 THE ORLANDO WHINERS!!! HAS PHILLY FANS EVEN ONCE EVER COMPLAINED ABOUT NOT HAVING THERE BEST PLAYER SINCE DEC IN BRAND?? THE ANSWER IS NO , BECAUSE THE CITY OF PHILA AND THE TEAM IS MENTALLY TOUGHER THAN ORLANDO WHICH ARE 59 WIN FRAUDS, PHILA-MIAMI SERIES SHOULD BE A GREAT ONE
Jack

Ocala, FL

#171 Apr 29, 2009
Sourgrapes wrote:
<quoted text>
You were at the game? Great Im glad to see Orlando gives tickets to underprivledged mentally challenged sports fans in and around the Orlando area. Constant pushing in the back...too funny. Next game maybe we will try and cover his eyes when he shoots free throws..well that might actually help nevermind.
You have nothing intellegent to say so you resort to name calling? Sounds like a Philly Fan!
AAAARRRRGGHH

De Leon Springs, FL

#172 Apr 29, 2009
Mikey wrote:
I'm disappointed in Dwight, though I can understand his frustrations. However, him letting his temper get the best of him has probably knocked the Magic out of the playoffs. He gets suspended, and on top of that he causes another member of his team to get hurt and miss an unknown number of games. I did not see the play where he hit Lee, but if it was another retalitory move that went bad, then it is obvious that his imaturity is showing. I just hope he learns from this and uses it as a growing experience. I still think he is a good kid, and willbe a great player for years to come.
You should probably take a look at both plays before you post on here. And probably learn a few things about basketball also.

A) This will not cost the Magic the series - just extend it to 7 games... just what the league wanted. You probably won't even hear the Magic complain too much because it likely gives them an extra home game of revenue.

B) Dwight was going up for a rebound and fell on Courtney Lee. It wasn't any sort of "retaliatory move that went bad" as you put it.

Dwight can't win. If he doesn't retaliate against these guys who have been holding and beating on him all series - then he's "soft" or "too nice", "not serious enough" to win a playoff series.
But if he does retaliate then he's "immature" and "needs to get his temper under control".
kenny

Auburn, WA

#173 Apr 29, 2009
Harold wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you even watch the game? the elbow wasnt on a dead ball it was after a made shot in which Dalembert was draped on his back and shoving his upper back and Howard turned to run down the court. It wasnt a smart play yet it was during action and i have seen more delibrate flying elbows from KG, Boozer, Gasol and Shaq. pay attention before you comment your way into a hole. This is basketball and the Pistons during their championship runs they played dirty with more mal intent then Howards elbow. I dont think anyone should get away with dirty play yet i get disgusted with the NBA's double standard on suspensions.
its a new age now and the old school pistons would all be arrested if they did now what they used to do...and once the ball goes through the hoop, and until it is inbounded by the sixers it is a dead ball.
kenny

Auburn, WA

#175 Apr 29, 2009
Jim wrote:
Ok everyone needs to calm down here. We all know the Magic orginazation just took it up the azz without any vaseline courteousy of the idiotic morons that run the NBA.
We all know that the Celtics, Lakers, and Cavs get preferential treatment from the league.
Clearly these bozos want the Cavs and the Celtics in the Eastern Conference Finals. That would assure that atleast one of those teams would play in the Finals against the Los Angeles Lakers.
It is so obvious that these guys want a Celtics or Cavs vs Lakers Finals that they will do ANYTHING to assure that it happens.
And by ANYTHING I mean to suspend a guy for trying to seperate himself from a player that is draped all over him, and then to not suspend another player after he bloodies an opponents face and knocks out one of his teeth.
One was suspended because he plays for the Orlando Magic....a small market team that the NBA would hate to see anywhere near the Finals.
The other was not suspended because he plays for the beloved Boston Celtics...who the NBA would love to see in the ECF's playing against LeBron James..and or in the Finals against Kobe Bryant.
so you are saying that dwight shouldnt have been suspended? dwight wouldnt have had to throw that elbow if the magic would have taken care of business and won the series in 5 like they should have.
MAGIC GAME SIX MATH

Kissimmee, FL

#176 Apr 29, 2009
Bob wrote:
I just e mail my displeasure to the NBA office ...i mean i know rules are rules...i basically asked them where was ROndos suspension on his hard foul last night??
Guess you didn't see the Celtics game.

Rondo was arching for the ball, but relaxed when the SEVEN-FOOTER got elevated and caught Miller in the face. No way could he reach the ball, then. Ugly foul, but not a karate-blow like Howard's right elbow aimed for Dalembert's head.
phillyfred

Bala Cynwyd, PA

#177 Apr 29, 2009
T-Rav wrote:
<quoted text>
Then kindly explain the justification for Rondo's lack of suspension. Rondo wasn't going for the ball, he was going for Miller's head. He got off without even a technical, and the league decided not to suspend him. Is it because he's a little guy and Brad's a big guy? Because it definitely was at least a flagrant foul.
I also don't agree with Howard's suspension because it didn't follow any kind of ejection. The refs chose to give Howard a technical foul, and let it go at that. The league then suspended Howard but not Rondo. For a league that lands with both feet on players and coaches who criticize their refs, the NBA sure does a great job of undermining them.
If Howard's gone, he's gone. I do believe Howard needs to get better at keeping his cool - for a guy who many say is too nice to win a title, he racks up a large number of technical fouls. Ultimately, though, I think it's crap, because if the refs were doing their job and calling the fouls that should have been called, it's highly unlikely Howard would have lost his cool.
i agree with you on rondo. i couldn't believe that either. but it could be explained that he was going for the ball not the face whereas dwight clearly threw an elbow at dalembert's head after a basket was scored.

the refs are caught between a rock and a hard place. if they make the call and eject howard than they risk causing a riot in the building in only the first quarter. the officials know that the league reviews all tapes. they can claim they didn't see the contact and leave it up to the league to make the tough decision. that's what they did. my question is, if they didn't see the contact then why did they give howard a technical? you can't semi see it. you did or you didn't.

the officiating is and always will be highly subjective and that's what i don't like about the nba these days. lebron and kobe get away with anything and everything. to win in the nba today you have to have the highest # of points and the lowest # of calls called against you.
phillyfred

Bala Cynwyd, PA

#178 Apr 29, 2009
JunkYardDog wrote:
As long as these Sixers fans never move to or visit Florida, I'll be fine with their trash talking. Too many of them here already.
thanks for the warning
phillyfred

Bala Cynwyd, PA

#179 Apr 29, 2009
Aron wrote:
<quoted text>
You Philly fans are the most nieve people in the US. Let me get this straight, were the ones that called the league office as soon as the play occured? NOT, it was your pathetic excuse of a GM. And were the ones that were crying about it after our win. NOT, it was your pathetic excuse for a coach.
And yes, you dont' see us complaning about the fact that we don't have the services of our ALL STAR PG!!! If Jameer was playing this series would be over by now.
Now STFU AND GTFO!
aron, better get that spellchecker checked.

you don't have nelson, we don't have brand. the 76ers didn't call the league office. they didn't have to. what do you think, the nba doesn't have cable in new york? plus, david stern was at the game and he immediately called stu jackson to initiate the review process. also, howard--as good as he is and he is good--is well known around the nba and by broadcasters for being slow-footed in the lane. hey, lebron takes 4 steps every time he goes to the basket. it is what it is.

if you've ever played any level of sports wouldn't you want your coaches to stand up for you and the team? they're supposed to. it's not whining. although van gundy is definitely the supreme whiner in all of pro sports, another opinion that is out there.
Da Rock

Lake Mary, FL

#181 Apr 30, 2009
Sourgrapes wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey DA ROCK...(for those with Ebonics degrees from Compton State thats THE ROCK in english) Cry all you want it was a bad call and the league suspended your boyfriend. Desperate? Ok whatever you say my friend, better close us out or you will be the laughing stock of the NBA
You do realize that ebonics is still a form of english, right? I'm sure those hard-core sports fans up the in chi-town wouldn't agree with your assessment (Da Bulls!) but that's neither here or there. Howard deserved to get suspended, I just think you're an idiot. Thanks for further proving that.
The_Obvious

Lake Mary, FL

#182 Apr 30, 2009
phillyfred wrote:
<quoted text>aron, better get that spellchecker checked.
you don't have nelson, we don't have brand. the 76ers didn't call the league office. they didn't have to. what do you think, the nba doesn't have cable in new york? plus, david stern was at the game and he immediately called stu jackson to initiate the review process. also, howard--as good as he is and he is good--is well known around the nba and by broadcasters for being slow-footed in the lane. hey, lebron takes 4 steps every time he goes to the basket. it is what it is.
if you've ever played any level of sports wouldn't you want your coaches to stand up for you and the team? they're supposed to. it's not whining. although van gundy is definitely the supreme whiner in all of pro sports, another opinion that is out there.
Actually the Philly coach said after the game that they where going to get a copy of the tape to the head office, cable or not. Btw.. can we stop with the stupid "(fill in the blank) FANS SUCKS!" Seriously.. we hate Philly fans because we are playing them? Please. I don't like the trash talkers that come here to just talk trash, but it goes both ways.
MAGIC GAME SIX MATH

Kissimmee, FL

#183 Apr 30, 2009
phillyfred wrote:
<quoted text>i agree with you on rondo. i couldn't believe that either. but it could be explained that he was going for the ball not the face whereas dwight clearly threw an elbow at dalembert's head after a basket was scored.
the refs are caught between a rock and a hard place. if they make the call and eject howard than they risk causing a riot in the building in only the first quarter. the officials know that the league reviews all tapes. they can claim they didn't see the contact and leave it up to the league to make the tough decision. that's what they did. my question is, if they didn't see the contact then why did they give howard a technical? you can't semi see it. you did or you didn't.
the officiating is and always will be highly subjective and that's what i don't like about the nba these days. lebron and kobe get away with anything and everything. to win in the nba today you have to have the highest # of points and the lowest # of calls called against you.
Read a little.

Stern's office -- an NBA executive VP -- explained that there are three elements that officials look for when they call a Flagrant 1. Two of them (a so-called "windup" at the beginning, and a follow-through at the end -- you know, like HITMAN HOWARD'S ELBOW TO DALEMBERT'S HEAD) were missing in Rondo's foul on Miller. CASE F'N CLOSED.

NOW, ON TO GAME SIX. Heh, heh, heh...
Magic Fan

Orlando, FL

#184 Apr 30, 2009
the sweet sound of silence in the Wachovia arena... as all their fans leave....
love it...
the 20 point spanking i had hoped for.
Gator

United States

#185 Apr 30, 2009
YES!! Way to deliver, Magic! ORLANDO in six!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Marcin Gortat Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Wizards jump on Pacers early May '14 Andrew 9
NBA Playoff Preview - Indiana vs. Washington May '14 youchinksareuglyi... 1
What Suns Should Do With Fifth Pick (Jun '13) Jun '13 south philly 3
Suns 108, Timberwolves 98: Minnesota loses 12th... (Apr '11) Apr '11 clueless 1
NBA rescinds technical foul against Boston's Pe... (May '10) May '10 ADalton 1
Celtics hold off Magic for 95-92 victory (May '10) May '10 money man 10
No Magic Trick: Boston smothers Orlando 92-88, ... (May '10) May '10 Cleveland 1
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Marcin Gortat People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••