Magic's Dwight Howard suspended for Game 6 of Sixers series

There are 20 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Apr 29, 2009, titled Magic's Dwight Howard suspended for Game 6 of Sixers series. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

Orlando Magic center Dwight Howard has been suspended for Thursday's Game 6 against Philadelphia.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

Brian

Orlando, FL

#150 Apr 29, 2009
What a bunch of BS. This is Basketball, not Teatherball.
nantu

Mount Dora, FL

#151 Apr 29, 2009
This is bull - but there is a bench full of great Magic players and we just need Van Gundy to change the game plan and put the 3 shooters in there to do an IN YOUR FACE to the 76er woosies. GO MAGIC and get it done in game 6.
Twitter

Oviedo, FL

#152 Apr 29, 2009
dwight threw his elbow. equivalent to a punch. no doubt at all he should be suspended..he's actually lucky he didn't get tossed from game 5.
T-Rav

Cocoa Beach, FL

#153 Apr 29, 2009
phillyfred wrote:
<quoted text>the nba rule book clearly states that a player cannot elbow another player above the shoulders. the players are told that in pre-season and the coaches are told that. whether you agree or disagree is moot, the rules are the rules. pushing, hacking, elbowing in the ribs are part of the game. elbowing a player in the head isn't.
Then kindly explain the justification for Rondo's lack of suspension. Rondo wasn't going for the ball, he was going for Miller's head. He got off without even a technical, and the league decided not to suspend him. Is it because he's a little guy and Brad's a big guy? Because it definitely was at least a flagrant foul.

I also don't agree with Howard's suspension because it didn't follow any kind of ejection. The refs chose to give Howard a technical foul, and let it go at that. The league then suspended Howard but not Rondo. For a league that lands with both feet on players and coaches who criticize their refs, the NBA sure does a great job of undermining them.

If Howard's gone, he's gone. I do believe Howard needs to get better at keeping his cool - for a guy who many say is too nice to win a title, he racks up a large number of technical fouls. Ultimately, though, I think it's crap, because if the refs were doing their job and calling the fouls that should have been called, it's highly unlikely Howard would have lost his cool.
Dub

Philadelphia, PA

#154 Apr 29, 2009
greg wrote:
magic still suck...
The NBA is set up. They just want the Celtics and Cavs to meet in the East conf finals. Guess what Orlando still will win game 6 and will beat the Celtics in the next round. Do not forget Orlando matches up good with the Cavs. Get your cameras reay.
CLint

Brick, NJ

#155 Apr 29, 2009
I dont know how anyone can argue this. I understand the dismay of you losing your best player. But there is a rule, "any intentional blow above the shoulders warrants an automatic ejection and suspension for one game." Duh, ur lucky he didnt get ejected and was still allowed to camp in the lane the whole game to win. GAME 7.:)
JunkYardDog

Tallahassee, FL

#156 Apr 29, 2009
As long as these Sixers fans never move to or visit Florida, I'll be fine with their trash talking. Too many of them here already.
Harold

Las Vegas, NV

#157 Apr 29, 2009
kenny wrote:
<quoted text>
he threw an elbow with intent on hitting dalembert in the head...that warrents a suspension under any rule!
By that standard every time a player swings his arms with his elbows out after a rebound(which happens all the time) that player should be suspended. Players swing their elbows to get guys off of them and Howard did just that. I dont disagree with the suspension but the NBA better enforce every elbow from here on out. Watch the game and start counting the # of times it happens.
Goosey

Coatesville, PA

#158 Apr 29, 2009
This is too funny - if the situation was reversed, Philly fans would be arguing that it wasn't a warranted suspension and Orlando fans would be complaining that he wasn't tossed out of the game immediately as the rules dictate.
Keep believing you are all impartial - too funny. Fouls happen to all players all the time, not just the big guys. And they all do their share of whining about missed calls.
Aron

Orlando, FL

#159 Apr 29, 2009
dsc wrote:
THE MAGIC SHOULD CHANGE THERE NAME 2 THE ORLANDO WHINERS!!! HAS PHILLY FANS EVEN ONCE EVER COMPLAINED ABOUT NOT HAVING THERE BEST PLAYER SINCE DEC IN BRAND?? THE ANSWER IS NO , BECAUSE THE CITY OF PHILA AND THE TEAM IS MENTALLY TOUGHER THAN ORLANDO WHICH ARE 59 WIN FRAUDS, PHILA-MIAMI SERIES SHOULD BE A GREAT ONE
You Philly fans are the most nieve people in the US. Let me get this straight, were the ones that called the league office as soon as the play occured? NOT, it was your pathetic excuse of a GM. And were the ones that were crying about it after our win. NOT, it was your pathetic excuse for a coach.

And yes, you dont' see us complaning about the fact that we don't have the services of our ALL STAR PG!!! If Jameer was playing this series would be over by now.

Now STFU AND GTFO!
Aron

Orlando, FL

#160 Apr 29, 2009
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
Trying to tell me Howard can't take a little pushing by Dalembert? It was flagrant and you know it. Just because you're a Magic fan doesn't mean your star doesn't have to face punishment. Don't bring up Rondo...that was a different game and a completely different play. He didn't retaliate from being pushed. It's the playoffs Magic fans and Howard is the biggest baddest dude out there, play tough and push them back but don't throw elbows to someone's face. Face the suspension and come back and win game 7 at home.
We knew it was coming and we really don't care. We're going to beat yawl punks with The Polish Hammer
Rich Clearwater FL

New York, NY

#161 Apr 29, 2009
We all get pissed at some point, but, Dwight's elbow crossed the line. Those type of things you learn when you're a child.
I don't have a dog in this fight and I'm hoping to see Dwight behave like I know that he can.
kenny

Auburn, WA

#162 Apr 29, 2009
Harold wrote:
<quoted text>
By that standard every time a player swings his arms with his elbows out after a rebound(which happens all the time) that player should be suspended. Players swing their elbows to get guys off of them and Howard did just that. I dont disagree with the suspension but the NBA better enforce every elbow from here on out. Watch the game and start counting the # of times it happens.
he threw an elbow when there was a dead ball and the play was over...he was retaliating...there is a difference between trying to get a guy off of you and trying to hurt someone and send a message!
Jeff

Los Angeles, CA

#163 Apr 29, 2009
Sourgrapes wrote:
<quoted text>
We have no great player, thats what makes all this so sad. The Orlando Magic are so much better than the Sixers it isnt funny, and yet here they are crying that they will hve to play a game 7...who's fault is that? Refs? Dalembert? I think the team was overrated all year long, and if they win game 6 or 7 will get thier behinds handed to them in Cleveland or Boston
My point is in the playoffs.. Let the players decide the game not the refs, not the NBA upper brass. And if the league wants to enforce the rule book then they should enforce it on everybody( i.e. Rondo)
Aron

Orlando, FL

#164 Apr 29, 2009
Rich Clearwater FL wrote:
We all get **** at some point, but, Dwight's elbow crossed the line. Those type of things you learn when you're a child.
I don't have a dog in this fight and I'm hoping to see Dwight behave like I know that he can.
The problem was that Dwight was blatant and not all incognito with it. If he would have done it like NBA JAM (yes that old video game) style, then no one would be complaining.

Next Dwight is going to do a head fake, front flip, 360 jam with a barrel roll over Sammy's face.

As Jim would say, you heard it here first folks!! Giggity giggity
Mikey

Gotha, FL

#165 Apr 29, 2009
I'm disappointed in Dwight, though I can understand his frustrations. However, him letting his temper get the best of him has probably knocked the Magic out of the playoffs. He gets suspended, and on top of that he causes another member of his team to get hurt and miss an unknown number of games. I did not see the play where he hit Lee, but if it was another retalitory move that went bad, then it is obvious that his imaturity is showing. I just hope he learns from this and uses it as a growing experience. I still think he is a good kid, and willbe a great player for years to come.
Dion

Fresh Meadows, NY

#166 Apr 29, 2009
how about they review all the pulling and holding that were done to D12 and reward him the 10 FT that he should've taken in game one and see if he can make half of it so we win the first game?

Why is it to review this one but not others? NBA is stupid now ...
kenny

Auburn, WA

#167 Apr 29, 2009
Dion wrote:
how about they review all the pulling and holding that were done to D12 and reward him the 10 FT that he should've taken in game one and see if he can make half of it so we win the first game?
Why is it to review this one but not others? NBA is stupid now ...
maybe because this one was done trying to hurt someone, it wasnt even a basketball play, it was MMA!
Harold

Las Vegas, NV

#168 Apr 29, 2009
kenny wrote:
<quoted text>
he threw an elbow when there was a dead ball and the play was over...he was retaliating...there is a difference between trying to get a guy off of you and trying to hurt someone and send a message!
Did you even watch the game? the elbow wasnt on a dead ball it was after a made shot in which Dalembert was draped on his back and shoving his upper back and Howard turned to run down the court. It wasnt a smart play yet it was during action and i have seen more delibrate flying elbows from KG, Boozer, Gasol and Shaq. pay attention before you comment your way into a hole. This is basketball and the Pistons during their championship runs they played dirty with more mal intent then Howards elbow. I dont think anyone should get away with dirty play yet i get disgusted with the NBA's double standard on suspensions.
aaaa

Gainesville, FL

#169 Apr 29, 2009
dsc wrote:
THE MAGIC SHOULD CHANGE THERE NAME 2 THE ORLANDO WHINERS!!! HAS PHILLY FANS EVEN ONCE EVER COMPLAINED ABOUT NOT HAVING THERE BEST PLAYER SINCE DEC IN BRAND?? THE ANSWER IS NO , BECAUSE THE CITY OF PHILA AND THE TEAM IS MENTALLY TOUGHER THAN ORLANDO WHICH ARE 59 WIN FRAUDS, PHILA-MIAMI SERIES SHOULD BE A GREAT ONE
i dont know how much basketball you watch but it doesnt appear to be much. elton brand actually made philly worse. they were struggling when he was on the court because their playing styles dont fit together. you're an idiot.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Marcin Gortat Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Wizards jump on Pacers early (May '14) May '14 Andrew 9
News NBA Playoff Preview - Indiana vs. Washington (May '14) May '14 youchinksareuglyi... 1
News What Suns Should Do With Fifth Pick (Jun '13) Jun '13 south philly 3
News Suns 108, Timberwolves 98: Minnesota loses 12th... (Apr '11) Apr '11 clueless 1
News NBA rescinds technical foul against Boston's Pe... (May '10) May '10 ADalton 1
News Celtics hold off Magic for 95-92 victory (May '10) May '10 money man 10
News No Magic Trick: Boston smothers Orlando 92-88, ... (May '10) May '10 Cleveland 1
More from around the web