Luol Deng slowly works himself back i...

Luol Deng slowly works himself back into shape

There are 17 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Nov 25, 2008, titled Luol Deng slowly works himself back into shape. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

The Bulls may have achieved two victories Monday night at Utah. Not only did they register a thrilling 101-100 triumph over the Jazz on Larry Hughes ' jumper at the buzzer to improve to 2-3 on the West Coast ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

Milo

Mundelein, IL

#1 Nov 25, 2008
Deng stinks. He was a trainwreck during the game last night, and he almost cost us the game. Paxson blew it with this guy!

Fire Paxson
Curt

Desert Hot Springs, CA

#2 Nov 25, 2008
blame luol's game on timing and rhythm...god i hope so 'cause he looked awful last night. i don't like seeing deng extend his shot to three three point land. get back to hittin' that 10-15 footer that was automatic two years ago. he looks like he has heavy feet this year...time to step it up!
Alex

Chicago, IL

#3 Nov 26, 2008
Deng??

Dang, why did the clueless trainee Paxson pay this average player all that money..????????

No-Shot Noah the "clown",Capt Klank Hinrich the circle dribbling attack killer, Tyrus No-Shot Thomas are perfect team mates for Deng along with piano on his back, shoot first Nocioni..........

Rose, Gordon, Hughes and Gooden are NBA quality players......flush the others!!!!!!!!!!
Juice

Plainfield, IL

#4 Nov 26, 2008
Good call Alex, John Paxson has to go. He doesn't know how to judge talent. I mean "how can you pay these average players at best all that money (Deng, Hinrich, Nocioni).And have a problem paying your best scorer BG. Trade those three you can live without them.
Big Time

Lake Forest, IL

#5 Nov 26, 2008
This is another case of a GM outbidding itself. Remember A-Rod and the Texas Rangers. There is no rationale for committing $20M more than than the original offer to a nice, complimentary player. Let's all hope Deng proves us all wrong but this was not the answer to our primary flaw as a team, an inside, low post threat.
Clueless

Schaumburg, IL

#6 Nov 26, 2008
NBA quality player in BG? You got to be kidding, he is a 6th man at best with his only talent is he can shoot. I can find you rec league players that is that tall and that can shoot lights out and they are not NBA quality.

He is a defense liability, everyone is scrabbling around to help out on his man. He can't distribute the ball. Let me see him improve in these two aspects then I'll be right behind you in giving him props...
MRB33

Brooklyn, NY

#7 Nov 26, 2008
deng is horrible trade him!he should have been in shape and in rythm at the begining of the season because he was playing for his native country!pax got to go due to his lack of knowledge and motivation of doing anything!ruffin to fill the last roster spot u got to be kidding me! U need a post player with height the past three years and thats what u can get!bring in a d league player at least and give him a shot at playing rather than ruffin sitting in his suit!this stuff is getting old with pax we are lucky rose landed in our lap!rose after a year should speak to managment and let them know if they dont make moves he is out of here as well!
Fire Pax

United States

#8 Nov 26, 2008
You know what's most upsetting? Elton Brand is a good "lowpost" scorer and Pax said we couldn't afford him. Well, Brand signs for 80+ million and Deng is signed for almost as much. Just like we couldn't get Gasol but the Lakers get him for Kwame Brown and picks!! Come on Pax, you suck!!!
Rod from Tennessee

AOL

#9 Nov 26, 2008
Has Deng been missing? Didn't even realize it, although since the team's won 2 of 3 on the road, i should've known the 70 mil. man wasn't in the lineup. Just for a little comparison though, Gionobili who played his first action in 3 months, scores 12 and gets 4 boards in 11 minutes, while the 70 mil. man who's only been out 3 games, not 3 months, gets 2 pts. 1 bd. and 3 turnovers in 15 minutes, and the Bulls beat reporter writes like it's some great contribution that the Bulls have been without.
Fire Pax

United States

#10 Nov 26, 2008
On top of what I just said, we traded Lamarcus Aldrige for Tyrus Thomas! The more Tyrus regresses the better Lamarcus is getting! Who feels we will never get a good lowpost scorer under Pax. What a shame cuz Derrick Rose would even be more of a killer with a lowpost scorer to play two man ball with!!!
CentrILMark

AOL

#11 Nov 26, 2008
All the right points were made today. Especially like the Ginobli out three months Deng out three games contrast. Nice Job. For Deng to act like that's the reason for him being so awful, and stating, "If I missed any more games it would take EVEN MORE TIME TO GET MY RYTHM BACK" What a joke he has become. Paxson letting him extort the Bulls out of way too much money after shunning loyal, fair offers for so long, helped turn Deng into the excuse making, spoiled brat he has become. Nice job Pax. For the love of God RESIGN. You used two top picks on Tyrus Thomas and Joakim Noah who as people are immature jacka*ses. You lucked out on Derrick Rose, and left him with this crappy squad and loser sour culture. FIRE HIM NOW!!!
CentrILMark

AOL

#12 Nov 26, 2008
By the way, let's see, $72 Million for Deng or $82 Million for Elton Brand or little more for dumping Gordon and signing Carlos Boozer this summer. Nice use of funds Pax. Retain disloyal, price extoring players. Nice. Reinsdorf please fire a great player and horrible G.M. And hire somebody who can appraise talent and has a backbone to stand up to you and not get rooked by Pritchard for Aldridge and three future draft picks.
True Bulls Fan

Bolingbrook, IL

#13 Nov 26, 2008
Clueless wrote:
NBA quality player in BG? You got to be kidding, he is a 6th man at best with his only talent is he can shoot. I can find you rec league players that is that tall and that can shoot lights out and they are not NBA quality.
He is a defense liability, everyone is scrabbling around to help out on his man. He can't distribute the ball. Let me see him improve in these two aspects then I'll be right behind you in giving him props...
I think Clueless is clueless. BG has his problems, but he is a legit NBA player. The Bulls just need to use him in the proper situations with Rose. He is NOT what is causing the Bulls problems. It is the lack of low post scoring and defense. It is so many BG haters out there but he is one of the better shooters in the NBA. Now HeinBrick is another story. If you would have made that statement about rec league players and him, then you would be more credible.
AuroraJeff

United States

#14 Nov 26, 2008
I am not a huge BG fan, but I would have to agree that he is by far not the main problem the Bulls have (unless you count the fact that the Bulls' two best scorers are under 6-3).

Paxson has shown that he is not better in any way than Jerry Krause. The funny thing is, had Paxson not been so incompetent (not giving away Tyson Chandler, not firing Skiles, not trading away Aldridge, etc), the Bulls never would have gotten Rose (for instance, trading out Ty Thomas for Aldridge probably puts them in the playoffs last year). So, in a way, Paxson has been the GM the Bulls needed to get the player (a true star) they needed.

Now that the player is here, I wouldn't mind seeing Reinsdorf move Paxson to a different organizational role, and bringing in someone that knows talent (Jerry West, for example).
MRB33

Elizabeth, NJ

#15 Nov 26, 2008
like everyone says bg is not the problem but everyone jumps on him because before he was the main focal point of our offense because he is a scorer!our main problem is the lack of interior presence which u can blame the upper management on.with a legit big/post presence it will make this team blossom and improve everyone even tyrus and Noah.

rose
bg
gooden
Legit big
tyrus/Noah

With a post presence gooden and tyrus can play at the forward spot.they can thrive by getting garbage points if they double the post u can pass it out to rose or bg for a spot up jumpshot.if u remember when we had not over weight curry in the postIt made everyone job easier.its been 3 years we've been talking about post presence not just the fans also the commentators in the NBA stacy king,Barkley, avery Johnson etc..and u no what john pax does nothing instead he signs ruffin as the last roster spot who now is sitting in the bench in a suit!!where is the effort if u don't want to trade any of ur so called prized players deng kirk etc.. Go out and call a couple of d league players who can fight for minutes that has a post game.I would take that instead of ruffin!!pax needs to go if no moves are made because him and jerry are holding this team back!
Clueless

Schaumburg, IL

#16 Nov 26, 2008
True Bulls Fan wrote:
<quoted text>
I think Clueless is clueless. BG has his problems, but he is a legit NBA player. The Bulls just need to use him in the proper situations with Rose. He is NOT what is causing the Bulls problems. It is the lack of low post scoring and defense. It is so many BG haters out there but he is one of the better shooters in the NBA. Now HeinBrick is another story. If you would have made that statement about rec league players and him, then you would be more credible.
You can say that about everyone on the Bulls, given in the proper situation. I should've pointed out that yes, everything can be solved with a low post scorer. Sorry I'm not a BG fan, but there is a need for him. Given the Bulls history of outside sharpshooters in Hodges, Kerr, Paxson, etc... Hinrich and Gordon in the backcourt just makes me think I'm watching a dribbling drill. Give me a slasher and a low post and there's a complete team. I'm not high on Deng either because he is just a taller and shorter range shooter, but got to keep one of them if they ever get a low post to spread the court out.
jgoods

Glenview Nas, IL

#17 Nov 29, 2008
Rod from Tennessee wrote:
Has Deng been missing? Didn't even realize it, although since the team's won 2 of 3 on the road, i should've known the 70 mil. man wasn't in the lineup. Just for a little comparison though, Gionobili who played his first action in 3 months, scores 12 and gets 4 boards in 11 minutes, while the 70 mil. man who's only been out 3 games, not 3 months, gets 2 pts. 1 bd. and 3 turnovers in 15 minutes, and the Bulls beat reporter writes like it's some great contribution that the Bulls have been without.
you are so right man.... why does deng make more money than ginobli ???

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Manu Ginobili Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News FIBA Americas Live Streaming Day 5 - Mexico vs.... (Sep '13) Sep '13 Jhon 1
News NBA Finals: After pushing Heat to the brink, Sp... (Jun '13) Jun '13 Ginobili 4
News For Spurs and Heat, the NBA Finals can be memor... (Jun '13) Jun '13 Ginobili 4
News Back in the NBA Finals, James has a chance to g... (Jun '13) Jun '13 neiljiohu 1
News NBA Playoffs 2013: Tony Allen fined $5,000 for ... (May '13) May '13 GurganusJanice 2
News Manu Ginobili will play in Spurs' final game vs... (Apr '13) Apr '13 JUNEP 1
News Duncan, Parker, Ginobili carry Spurs past Rockets (Dec '12) Dec '12 Ginobili 1
More from around the web