U.S. Defeats Argentina 96-81 for Bronze

Dwyane Wade made sure the United States didn't leave the world championships empty-handed. Wade scored 18 of his 32 points in the fourth quarter, helping the Americans pull away for a 96-81 victory over ... Full Story
sporty

Philadelphia, PA

#1 Sep 2, 2006
It is amazing how overrated US basketball players are. Americans look at many of them as if they are undefeatable Gods. Then a bunch of Greek unknownsknock their blocks off. The NBA guys get paid millions so why should they practice? Years ago the US showed the world their basketball supremacy? What happened? Well number 1, today's NBA has a bunch of lazy primadonnas. Any comments?
SunBurn

Hughesville, MD

#2 Sep 3, 2006
I don't think being primadonnas or laziness was the problem-shooting was. It's the same problem the NBA is experiencing-no jump shooters.
The outside shot has taken a back seat to athleticism in America and it shows with our younger b-ball stars. All of this talk about building
a TEAM, something our international squads haven't been in a while, and my man Colangelo still didn't have enough shooters. If they would have
shot 75-80% from the free throw line against Greece, we wouldn't be having this discussion! It didn't help that their defense sucked, especially
in the paint. They let Greece shoot like 64% from the field-that was higher that Team USa's free throw percentage! If they get a stronger low post
defender and a couple of shooters, I don't see why the Olympic gold shouldn't be ours.
what it is

San Jose, CA

#3 Sep 3, 2006
SUNBURN AND SPORTY FAIL TO REMEMBER THAT GUYS WHO PAY THESE PRIMADONNAS HAVE LARGE CHUNKS OF MONEY INVESTED IN THEM AND HONESTLY THEY MORE THAN ANYONE "DON'T WANT TO SEE ANYONE GET HURT OUT THERE" THESE PLAYERS ARE STILL COMPETITORS FIRST, BUT IF CHRIS BOSH GOES DOWN AGAINST ARGENTINA THAT TORONTO FRANCHISE COULD POSSIBLY FOLD.

ALL TEAM USA NEEDS IS CHAUNCEY BILLUPS AND KOBE BRYANT!!!~OLYMPIC GOLD IS OURS~
Adonis Spain-28850

Torrejón De Ardoz, Spain

#4 Sep 3, 2006
poor americans, it has been better for you that greece won you, cause spain wont win you, spain will humiliate you, in this moment Spain is the BEST, and usa its only a group of rich boys, that dont know the meanning of TEAM's word...

im happy, cause when Olympic arrives, the history will be the same, and u will say another one time the same stupid things: "We are the best, w are the only one..." when the truth is that Europe level of basketball is as well as NBA, or better...

bye poor guys...

P.D: If you do not know, Spain have won by 23 points up to the selection that beat ALLMIGHTY USA/NBA without any kind of problems..
what it is

San Jose, CA

#5 Sep 3, 2006
Adonis Spain-28850 wrote:
poor americans, it has been better for you that greece won you, cause spain wont win you, spain will humiliate you, in this moment Spain is the BEST, and usa its only a group of rich boys, that dont know the meanning of TEAM's word...
im happy, cause when Olympic arrives, the history will be the same, and u will say another one time the same stupid things: "We are the best, w are the only one..." when the truth is that Europe level of basketball is as well as NBA, or better...
bye poor guys...
P.D: If you do not know, Spain have won by 23 points up to the selection that beat ALLMIGHTY USA/NBA without any kind of problems..
Damn he chopped that english up, i could hear the accent as i read it... I just shouted at my computer "shut up and get me my order", then i realized i wasn't in Spain ordering snails and wine, but in my living room on my comp.

Amerikkka F**K YEA!!
basket girl

Radomlje, Slovenia

#6 Sep 3, 2006
LOL
That was very good!
SunBurn

Bethesda, MD

#8 Sep 4, 2006
Take it easy on the spaniard, guys. Winning is something new to them!
SunBurn

Bethesda, MD

#9 Sep 4, 2006
His statements has a ring of truth in them, however. We do have the best PLAYERS, but they had the best TEAM this year. We'll see in 2008 if they can win Olympic Gold or if they were just lucky this tournament.
racer rick

Murray, KY

#10 Sep 4, 2006
The US does not have a big enough talent gap with the other top teams in the world to get together for a couple of weeks and beat a good team when it is playing well under FIBA rules. Greece had a "Villanova in 85" type of night against the US but that is not why the US lost. Many NBA superstars do not have the same skill set of top players in other parts of the world. NBA rules have become "soft" leading to less skill needed if you have tremendous athletic ability. Lebron James is a terrific player but he can not use his left hand for more than 1 or 2 dribbles. This was exploited over and over again by teams in the tournament. Wade is a tremendous NBA player and has a good skill set for the international game but he is used to getting to the FT line every time he gets touched. He was clearly frustrated by the lack of calls going his way. None of the bigs on this team are as skilled as the top bigs on the other teams. Howard is a beast in the NBA but all he can do is dunk. Good defensive players pushed him out and worked hard to keep him off the offensive boards. The difference against Greece was skill in the bigs and the unexplainable weakness at defending the pick and roll. NBA teams play defense against the pick and roll every game.

All that being said the US will win the gold in the olympics and if any of these national teams other than the US played in the NBA under any rules they would be worse than the Hawks or the Knicks were this year. Spain and Argentina are the only teams that could win more than 10 of the 82 games on an NBA schedule.
Adonis Spain-28850

Torrejón De Ardoz, Spain

#11 Sep 4, 2006
SunBurn and what it is, you only say things about my english and another stupid things, but you dont argue about the TRUTHS i said, why? simply cause you cant...

racer rick, you say that if one of the teams played in the NBA they would be the worst, ok, it could be true, but the same will happen if an NBA team played with OUR rules, that instead are FIBA rules, you are the one who do not accept to play in the NBA with the FIBA rules, as the others do.. so, its YOUR problem...

and as you say, NBA is mostly an ATHLETIC, and i think this shouldnt be so... basket is a SKILL sport, you must now how to use the ball..not only be a scharwenegher...
racer rick

Murray, KY

#12 Sep 4, 2006
adonis, first let me say that sunburn is not typical of most Americans. i am sure that he would butcher Spanish if he could he even write in it at all.
it is not my problem it is the NBA's problem. i do not like a lot of NBA rules. i would much rather see the game played the way it should be played. FIBA rules should be changed some but not to NBA rules. i do not like a lot of NBA rules and there are a few FIBA rules that i think should be adjusted. i believe the FIBA 3 point line is to close to the basket and the game is to short for example.
an NBA team could play by FIBA rules in the euro league and dominate the league though. i played with a guy that has been one of the best players in the euro league for a while and he was just a pretty good college player and could not make it in the NBA. he and others have told me that the quality of play is very good but it in no way compares to the talent level of the NBA.
my point about one of the top national teams being the worst team in the NBA was to point out that the US team is not a team but just a collection of very good athletes. ginobli, gasol, nowitzski and other players from great teams in the world have consistently said that the teams they play on in the NBA are the best teams in the world. as individual players the US team probably had 8 of the top 12 to 15 players in the tournament but great individuals will not beat a good team all of the time. If an NBA team played in the international tournaments you would see a great team comprised of great athletes playing as a team in all aspects of the game. sadly, money would never allow that to happen.
what it is

San Jose, CA

#13 Sep 5, 2006
You think D-Wade, Mellow and Bron aren't out there with the "injury bug" on thier shoulder the entire time?? This sin't Lebron Round 2 vs. Detroit!! You think Wades takes these games as hard as he did the FINALS?? The Worlds and Olympics used to be "cake walks" now thanks to David Stern and the DREAM TEAM (MJ,Bird,Magik) thats no longer the case. Honestly this TEAM USA isn't THE VERY BEST OF AMERICAN BASKETBALL TALENT! No KOBE,BILLUPS,MARION or ARENAS. I know the NBA is out doing MLB and the NFL on thier GLOBAL GAME.
its me lol

Perth, Australia

#14 Sep 5, 2006
im gonna say random stuff cause i cant bee screwed readin ur long comments =D bannana
Adonis Spain-28850

Torrejón De Ardoz, Spain

#15 Sep 5, 2006
racer ricks, i agree with you that USA maybe had 8 between 12 top players in the tournament, but basketball is a TEAM sport, and they dont understant this, on his mind is this "Iam the star, i have to make all by me", they have not got a group concept, and this is completely wrong... if they want to be THE STARS, lets play tennis, chess ...... in a team there are NO stars, you are the group, and the group are you...

by this reasons, me thinks USA wont win a International Championship in a long time... they need a bath of humility..
racer rick

Murray, KY

#16 Sep 5, 2006
we will see, adonis. i agree with you that the game is all about the TEAM. i do think they will win the next tournament of the americas by beating argentina badly in the finals and then they will win the olympics. they did not have bad attitudes during this tournament (the team that played in the last olympics did have the wrong attitude). by the next olympics a lot of these players will have played together for 2 years and will become a national TEAM. they must do this in order to make sure they win championships. "What it is" is right the very best talent in the US did not play in the tournament.
Exodus

Rockwell City, IA

#17 Sep 5, 2006
All the US of A needs to do is get Kobe and Billups out there, maybe T-mac, so they can show the rest of the world how USA can shoot. The international game is like the WNBA no strength. It's all lay-ups and fouling on fast breaks. It's panzy basketball and team USA wasn't ready for that. I think Lebron isn't quite right for international play, he isn't quick enough (in comparison to Arenas, Wade, Iverson, TJ Ford). Kobe will be a star on the international game and Coach K needs to accept that and let his best players play more of the game. Howard Brand and Bosh are good big men and will only get better with expirence. The only thing USA needs is someone to break into the lane and devistate zone D, thats why i think they made a mistake by blowing off AI. Without better quickness and outside shooting (kobe and arenas will help both) USA won't get better in the international game, but we have the players to improve.
racer rick

Murray, KY

#18 Sep 5, 2006
exodus - did you watch any of the games? the international game is much more physical than the nba. over the past few years rule changes have caused the nba to become even more of a 1 on1 isolation league. wade is a good player but if the rules were the same as they were in the 80's and early 90's in the nba he would not be a dominant player in the nba yet. same goes for lebron although his passing ability would allow him to still be one of the top tier players. the us team got into the lane against zone and man anytime they wanted. the problem was that they settled for jump shots when all they had to do was attack (by the way AI settled for jumpers when he played for team usa and shot about 35% for the tournament so he is not the answer). howard and bosh only looked good against the bad teams because the skill set of good international big men is along the lines of nowitski and gasol. howard is not very skilled at all and did not finish in the paint when there was contact at all. howard and bosh will develop and become much better in time but they were not on the same level as a lot of the other bigs in the tourney.
kobe will be a dominant force on the international stage but arenas was not much of one before the injury this year. tj ford can't make a jump shot you can not have him and chris paul on the team. either one would be okay by me. i do agree that they need to play like a regular team and have a rotation simlar to that of a regular team. trying to give everyone fairly even minutes is ridiculous. it is not like they are little leaguers. they are grown men. tayshaun prince and a couple of other guys who will do the glue type of things are needed instead of a couple of the big names.
its me lol

Perth, Australia

#19 Sep 7, 2006
seriously dudes spain and greece now think there sooooooooooo good......well the only thing ur gd at spain is inventing the dive in soccer and greece...well u ...aint gd at .....at any thing but the point is...usa is the best but onli wen they work 2gether and spain and greece...well...practice counts ma european fwends =D
Exodus

Rockwell City, IA

#20 Sep 9, 2006
racer rick wrote:
exodus - did you watch any of the games? the international game is much more physical than the nba. over the past few years rule changes have caused the nba to become even more of a 1 on1 isolation league. wade is a good player but if the rules were the same as they were in the 80's and early 90's in the nba he would not be a dominant player in the nba yet. same goes for lebron although his passing ability would allow him to still be one of the top tier players. the us team got into the lane against zone and man anytime they wanted. the problem was that they settled for jump shots when all they had to do was attack (by the way AI settled for jumpers when he played for team usa and shot about 35% for the tournament so he is not the answer). howard and bosh only looked good against the bad teams because the skill set of good international big men is along the lines of nowitski and gasol. howard is not very skilled at all and did not finish in the paint when there was contact at all. howard and bosh will develop and become much better in time but they were not on the same level as a lot of the other bigs in the tourney.
kobe will be a dominant force on the international stage but arenas was not much of one before the injury this year. tj ford can't make a jump shot you can not have him and chris paul on the team. either one would be okay by me. i do agree that they need to play like a regular team and have a rotation simlar to that of a regular team. trying to give everyone fairly even minutes is ridiculous. it is not like they are little leaguers. they are grown men. tayshaun prince and a couple of other guys who will do the glue type of things are needed instead of a couple of the big names.
I woke up at five in the mornin or stayed up to watch all the games. I didn't see them breaking the zone much at all. All I saw was Melo and everybody else shooting threes. What I didn't see is D-Wade giving everything he has and not caring about what happens to his body like he did for the Heat in the playoffs. At times I thought they might be alergic to the lane. Thats why I think AI should be on the team. He wants it and if they told him his options were layups or no shots or he wouldn't be on the team (which wouldn't be a bad policy for alot of the players on the team) then he would help out alot. I didn't see the Team going hard to the rim and taking hard fouls, thats what I meant by not playing physical. I don't know maybe I drifted off to sleep during those games in the wee hours of the morning, but thats how i remember it.
racer rick

Murray, KY

#21 Sep 11, 2006
exodus - i thought that you were saying they could not attack the zone with penetration. they did get into the middle of the zones they faced whenever they wanted. for some reason they did not seem to want to very often though. i was just saying that the players on the roster were more than capable of getting into the zone anytime they wanted. layups or no shots at all is a good idea for a lot of guys. you are right it was a lot of people standing around and shooting 3's when it was not necessary. that is how all of coach k's teams play though. duke could probably have had a few more national titles if they did not pull the trigger on so many 3's. no way kentucky beats them in 98 for example if they were more disciplined on offense.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Luis Scola Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
FIBA Americas Live Streaming Day 5 - Mexico vs.... (Sep '13) Sep '13 Jhon 1
How Houston Rockets Should Rebuild Roster Aroun... (Jul '12) Jul '12 Ginobili 21
Suns win bidding for forward Luis Scola Jul 15,... (Jul '12) Jul '12 Ginobili 1
NBA: Houston Rockets release Luis Scola (Jul '12) Jul '12 Ginobili 3
Report: Rockets Will Amnesty Scola (Jul '12) Jul '12 The_Solution 1
3 Potential Sleepers to Keep an Eye on During 2... (Jan '12) Jan '12 Losttruth 1
Chris Paul Trade: Grading the Deal for LA Laker... (Dec '11) Dec '11 EriktheRed 1
More from around the web