Is Kobe Bryant better than Michael Jordan?

Apr 1, 2007 Full story: North County Times 12,041

“Bout to get some rest, tonight should be a hard, tough and FUN game. Strength and honor. Two-4.”

By: LOREN NELSON - Staff Writer NO -- Kobe Bryant once scored 81 points in a single NBA game, a feat that is more confounding than it is astounding. via North County Times

Read more
Chris Villain

Freeport, Bahamas

#21 Apr 17, 2007
Kobe Has more range than Jordan ever had, is a better shooter than jordan ever was, has the best footwork ive ever seen, is a better ball handler than Mj was, is more atheletic and graceful than mj was, can defend just as well as Mj did, passes better, and rebounds just as well....

Michael Jordan played in era where zone defense( a defense designed to greatly deny penetration and force difficult jumpshots) was illegal, offensive handchecking and palming was basically allowed(both favorite maneuvers of his. travelling violations werent called as frequently as it is now....How Much would Jordan have scored in the league Kobe plays in?....

Jordan played on a team lacking in talent for the first several seasons of his career which resulted in wat kobe is doing now(leading the league in scoring)...its absolutely absurb to expect kobe to have had as many scoring titles as Mj playing along side Shaq in his prime for all those years....its also absurd to expect Kobe to have the MVPs when the MVP awards in most cases doesnt go to the best player but a player with great numbers on a team with a certain number of wins....that was proven last season when the award was given to Nash instead of Kobe Bryant. When Jordan played number of players remotely close to his skill that were on contending teams werent very high....Kobe competes with the likes of Tim Duncan, lebron James, Dwyane Wade, Gilbert Arenas, Dirk Nowitzki etc. all great players on teams with better talent and records than the lakers....Kobe Bryant may never find himself in the great team situation jordan found himself in at the midway point in his career, meaning kobe may never get to be as accomplished as Jordan, but as far as being a better player Kobe bryant has surpassed Michael Jordan...and guess what, this is coming from a life long bulls fan. I am simply non-biased and i give credit where it is due.....so please dont show me a piece of paper....i watch the game, and kobe looks better on the court than MJ ever has
Chris Villain

Freeport, Bahamas

#22 Apr 17, 2007
i thought my first post didnt go thru :S....oh well....atleast i got my point across
savejoedotnet

Malibu, CA

#23 Apr 17, 2007
Isaac wrote:
Kobe Bryant is better than Michael Jordan.
http://savejoe.net/id7.html
Show Time

Hawthorne, CA

#24 Apr 17, 2007
since you insist on posting the same thing you posted in another forum I will copy past the same post I gave you in another forum...

Those are just a bunch of opinions that you could read in this forum, I said it before you cant compare players by the hardware they won, or by the teams they were in, it was easy to crown mj mvp back then there was no one like him, now you can take your pick, im sorry but the talent was not that great in the 90s, and if its championships you want then bill russell is the best player of all time there you have it, hey how about horry he won 6 championships, clearly you cant go by championships or anything else they win because mvps are just opinions you can get a mvp if all these guys like you better than another player, how do we know what goes on behind the scenes, like I said jordans achievements is something kobe has not reached but clearly kobe is doing things jordan never did and probably couldnt do, kobe is a better skill player, and you cant give me that jordan took his team to 6 championships no one does it alone, he had a good supporting cast for that time, they wouldnt win 6 in todays nba no way, theres always gonna be a argument, even if kobe were to tie jordans achievements you wanna bet the arguements will continue cause jordan fans wont let it go ever thats all the bulls have and I dont blame them for not wanting to listen to anyone saying that someones better than jordan
savejoedotnet

Malibu, CA

#25 Apr 17, 2007
Show Time wrote:
I said it before you cant compare players by the hardware they won, or by the teams they were in, it was easy to crown mj mvp back then there was no one like him, now you can take your pick,[/quote]

MJ won MVP over Magic Johnson and Larry Bird in 1988. No player in today's league is better than Magic. Kobe fails to win the award over STEVE NASH. Can you honestly see Steve Nash besting MJ for an MVP?

[quote]im sorry but the talent was not that great in the 90s, and if its championships you want then bill russell is the best player of all time there you have it, hey how about horry he won 6 championships,[/quote]

Michael Jordan led his team to rings. Horry has not. Leading a team to a ring is slightly different than being the fourth dog.

As far as Russell goes, no one ever said that no one ever did something better than MJ. MJ has done MORE THINGS better than any ONE PLAYER ever. Russell won more rings, but he also played with many more hall of famers, and statistically he is sorely lacking compared to MJ. Just like Wilt bests MJ statistically, but isn't close to the winner MJ was.

[quote]clearly you cant go by championships or anything else they win because mvps are just opinions you can get a mvp if all these guys like you better than another player,[/quote]

Should we go by championships or YOUR opinion? I love that from Kobe fans "stats don't matter, rings don't matter, mvps don't matter... not like MY opinion."

And whose opinion is more valuable? The collective media or you? I'm sorry, but I'll trust Bob Ryan's opinioin over that of Kobe fanboys.

[quote]like I said jordans achievements is something kobe has not reached but clearly kobe is doing things jordan never did and probably couldnt do,[/quote]

List of things Jordan did by age 29 that Kobe has not done:

Win 3 MVPs
Win a DPOY
Lead a team to two rings
Average 37 PPG for a season
Average 8 RPG
Average 8 APG
Average 3.16 SPG
Average 1.60 BPG
Shoot 53.9% from the field

I'll take stuff like that (and much more) over 81 points in a single game. Kobe has done things MJ has not. So has Eddy Curry and Scott Skiles. MJ does more things and more impressive things that Kobe cannot do.

[quote]kobe is a better skill player,[/quote]

Based on what other than your opinion?

[quote]and you cant give me that jordan took his team to 6 championships no one does it alone, he had a good supporting cast for that time, they wouldnt win 6 in todays nba no way, theres always gonna be a argument, even if kobe were to tie jordans achievements you wanna bet the arguements will continue cause jordan fans wont let it go ever thats all the bulls have and I dont blame them for not wanting to listen to anyone saying that someones better than jordan
My god Jordan would have won 8 rings in today's NBA. Wake up. Do you think that the Dallas Mavericks or Miami Heat are anything like the 88 Lakers, 89 Pistons, 90 Pistons, Celtics of the 80s? MJ would have been winning titles by his second year in today's NBA.

92 Bulls against 07 Mavericks or Suns? Are you kidding me? Scottie Pippen would erase Steve Nash's existence. He did it to John Stockton.
Show Time

Hawthorne, CA

#26 Apr 17, 2007
savejoedotnet wrote:
<quoted text>
My god Jordan would have won 8 rings in today's NBA. Wake up. Do you think that the Dallas Mavericks or Miami Heat are anything like the 88 Lakers, 89 Pistons, 90 Pistons, Celtics of the 80s? MJ would have been winning titles by his second year in today's NBA.
92 Bulls against 07 Mavericks or Suns? Are you kidding me? Scottie Pippen would erase Steve Nash's existence. He did it to John Stockton.
oh no way I didnt say the current champions or the opponents are like those 80s teams im talking about the 90s here pal..I totally disagree with you, the bulls would not come close to 6 championships today, the lakers took out a great team 1 through 12 team in 2002, lakers had no business winning that team but they played with heart, that kings team would have wiped the floor with the bulls, they would have no answer for tim duncan, who you gonna put luc longely, or how about bill cartwright, oh I know I know rodman right, please thats how bad the 90s were that you didnt need a dominant big man to win, theres no way they beat the pistons of 2004, who took out kobe and shaq and they had phil as their coach, teams today are so used to guys like jordan they have to deal with kobe,wade, lebron,mcgrady,arenas, they have to deal with so many great guards they would just play jordan the way the play kobe and the rest, im not saying jordan wouldnt be able to win championships but not his bulls he would have to upgrade thats all im saying, he won his first championship when the showtime lakers were on there way down no kareem magic was getting old, they werent the same, I give them credit for defeating the utah jazz cause that was a very worthy opponent sadly malone choker in big games but still I didnt think they would win those guys.
savejoedotnet

Malibu, CA

#27 Apr 18, 2007
You think that the Kings would beat the Bulls? Based on WHAT other than your own opinion?

Cartwright
Grant
Pippen
Jordan
Armstrong

Pippen on Bibby, he's gone. Now you don' hear from him again, ever.

Grant would have put good d on Webber, but Chris gets his. I'll take Cartwright's D on Vlade, he didn't do bad against a young Vlade in 1991.

Armstrong on Christie. I like our chances. Christie was good on D, but he'd be D-ing up Jordan.

Jordan on Stojakovic. Where do I fall over laughing.

Wake up Laker fan boy. The 2002 Kings weren't even good. That they took LA to a game 7 overtime is a strong indictment.
Show Time

Hawthorne, CA

#28 Apr 18, 2007
savejoedotnet wrote:
You think that the Kings would beat the Bulls? Based on WHAT other than your own opinion?
Cartwright
Grant
Pippen
Jordan
Armstrong
Pippen on Bibby, he's gone. Now you don' hear from him again, ever.
Grant would have put good d on Webber, but Chris gets his. I'll take Cartwright's D on Vlade, he didn't do bad against a young Vlade in 1991.
Armstrong on Christie. I like our chances. Christie was good on D, but he'd be D-ing up Jordan.
Jordan on Stojakovic. Where do I fall over laughing.
Wake up Laker fan boy. The 2002 Kings weren't even good. That they took LA to a game 7 overtime is a strong indictment.
I can name better teams than those kings they didnt even win a championship, but you pick your poision with those kings they can flat out shoot, doubt there would be enough jordan and pippens to go around, you dont even sound convinced your bulls would win them, "I like our chances" dont sound like a convinced person...and glad I could make you laugh cause you made me laugh just now with that cartwright on vlade back in 91, vlade was a rookie back then well whatever im not trying to just talk about a match up against the 91 bulls and the 2002 kings, your gonna keep your opinion and im gonna keep mine in the end but let me answer your other post theres something I failed to catch the first time around.
Show Time

Hawthorne, CA

#29 Apr 18, 2007
savejoedotnet wrote:
<quoted text>
ok the first time around I didnt see you wrote over my quote, you love mike so much your full of bull, you keep talking about my opinion and of course your gonna take a so called nba experts opinion who has there lips planted on michael, I can find you other articles by so called nba experts that will tell you what im trying to tell you but who cares what they have to say do your own research dont worry about what they say we have our own opinions too you know, you dont have to take my opinion and im certainly am not agreeing with yours but we are exchanging what we think, thats what makes sports fun...well with that out of the way no one was advertised more than jordan I think just on advertising alone you thought this guy was the best, and the fact that he started getting better long after the leaque had witnessed larry and magic made it even better for jordan, you could win a mvp basically by winning a scoring title and as long as your team was in the playoffs, who the hell did jordan face in the 90s, john starks, reggie miller like a billion times, penny hardaway, tim hardaway, downhill drexler, the competition is far better today I dont even have to tell you the names cause you already know who they are, not to mention jordan got the benifit of palming the ball, and other rules on defense and offense that would be illegal to use today, now I dont want to start picking apart every little dumb thing, bottom line kobes skills are there with jordans he can do just as much and a bit more his career isnt over yet so we will wait and see.. but yeah I mantain that the 91 bulls would not win in todays nba they would need a upgrade. moving on to the mid 90s it was a great cast for the bulls without jordan they managed to go to the playoffs and darn there went to the finals without him and the rockets ended up winning another team that wouldnt win today, this may anger you but thats my opinion you dont agree with me I dont agree with you but I do respect your sports knowledge its good to talk to someone who appreciates the history of basketball, by if I could start a team I would take magic over kobe or jordan.
Show Time

Hawthorne, CA

#30 Apr 18, 2007
I meant by the way at the bottom
Barney

Hollywood, FL

#31 Apr 18, 2007
Nobody can touch Michael's records get over it.
Show Time

Hawthorne, CA

#32 Apr 18, 2007
Barney wrote:
Nobody can touch Michael's records get over it.
Actually I dont even mean to compare kobe to michael you haters start getting all jealous and bring out michael jordan and his career stats, kobe is only 28 skills wise hes ahead of jordan at that age already, no one can talk about kobe without someone bringing jordan so you guys start it we end it, its inevitable kobe is evolving and getting better you get over it.
Kevin Miville

United States

#33 Apr 18, 2007
Are yall dumb Kobe is way better than jordan how is he not, he puts up better numbers, he can shoot better, yall don't know nothin about basketball, Jordan was only clutch, If Kobe had the players jordan did he would win way more titles
Trouble

Austin, TX

#34 Apr 18, 2007
Kevin Miville wrote:
Are yall dumb Kobe is way better than jordan how is he not, he puts up better numbers, he can shoot better, yall don't know nothin about basketball, Jordan was only clutch, If Kobe had the players jordan did he would win way more titles
Only reason Kobe has a championship is because of Shaq. Period...put McGrady or Wade...oops Wade Won a Championship as well...because of Shaq's presence...so put McGrady or Melo...on Shaqs team and they win 3 titles as well. Until Kobe wins one w/o Shaq...he is just a good player...like Melo, McGrady...etc. Any discussion about comparing Kobe to Jordan is foolish. Lakers will be bounced from the playoffs in the first round again...Nash is statistically better team ball player...thats why he is the MVP. Nowitski is next...then Duncan...(Team Records define greatness...not Field Goal Attempts.

“ME ”

Since: Jan 07

USA

#35 Apr 18, 2007
Listen here people there is no other like MICHEAL JORDAN, regardless of your points per game, JORDAN or should I say AIR JORDAN is,was and always will be one of a kind, know don't get me wrong Kobe was the next BasketBall Player I started to watch after Jordan retired but he will never be M J, when I was infront of the tube when M J was introduced you just knew the game was gonna be a good one, now these days when theres a player having a bad game, for some reason there is gonna be a fightbut that is another forum, but no way in hell will kobe be better than M J.
Barney

Hollywood, FL

#36 Apr 18, 2007
Show Time wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually I dont even mean to compare kobe to michael you haters start getting all jealous and bring out michael jordan and his career stats, kobe is only 28 skills wise hes ahead of jordan at that age already, no one can talk about kobe without someone bringing jordan so you guys start it we end it, its inevitable kobe is evolving and getting better you get over it.
ShowTime, Kobe is a great player I will admit and yes he is getting better. All I said was that Kobe is not better than MJ. And by the way Im not hating on anyone here for your information..
Show Time

Hawthorne, CA

#37 Apr 18, 2007
Barney wrote:
<quoted text>
ShowTime, Kobe is a great player I will admit and yes he is getting better. All I said was that Kobe is not better than MJ. And by the way Im not hating on anyone here for your information..
Its too early to compare careers, heck forget about comparing them, jordan was jordan, kobe is kobe I do get tired of everyone always comparing them, kobes style and mj style are different thats why I say hes defining his own game, hes just the next great after jordan lets leave it at that, no way in hell would I want to bet against jordan or kobe, two different players two different paths two different eras, there will be someone great after kobe and so on.
lakers355s

San Clemente, CA

#38 Apr 18, 2007
Barney wrote:
<quoted text>
HATER.

“Laker fan 4 Life!!!”

Since: Feb 07

Orange County, Ca.

#39 Apr 19, 2007
lakers355s wrote:
<quoted text>
HATER.
yea, hater!! just cause you said that Kobe is a great player doesn't mean that you aren't hating. Anybody that has seen him play know's that he is the best by far in the league. You have to admit that. Every once in awhile there comes a player that is just levels above the competion. Kobe is that player for today's generation. Jordan was the last, so of course the Kobe fans are going to clash with the Jordan fans only because kobe is hated on becasue of his mishaps off the court. That's why he is being denied his level up there with Jordan's. I am sure he would get way more props from people and the league if he had remained the golden boy of the league like jordan did. Yea, he had that betting thing but no one considered that something they should not still like Jordan for. Kobe is better than jordan but he will never get the recognition and it's a damn shame. But, that's all good; we know as lakers fans that kobe is going to end up with more hardware than jordan even.(I know that is just unimaginable for jordan fans) when all is said and done because KB24 won't be denied, these haters just give him the fire he needs to show and prove!!!! And by the way i am a huge Jordan fan also so don't say that i am being bias here. I just call it how i see it.
Show Time

Hawthorne, CA

#40 Apr 19, 2007
Willsmooth24 wrote:
<quoted text>
yea, hater!! just cause you said that Kobe is a great player doesn't mean that you aren't hating. Anybody that has seen him play know's that he is the best by far in the league. You have to admit that. Every once in awhile there comes a player that is just levels above the competion. Kobe is that player for today's generation. Jordan was the last, so of course the Kobe fans are going to clash with the Jordan fans only because kobe is hated on becasue of his mishaps off the court. That's why he is being denied his level up there with Jordan's. I am sure he would get way more props from people and the league if he had remained the golden boy of the league like jordan did. Yea, he had that betting thing but no one considered that something they should not still like Jordan for. Kobe is better than jordan but he will never get the recognition and it's a damn shame. But, that's all good; we know as lakers fans that kobe is going to end up with more hardware than jordan even.(I know that is just unimaginable for jordan fans) when all is said and done because KB24 won't be denied, these haters just give him the fire he needs to show and prove!!!! And by the way i am a huge Jordan fan also so don't say that i am being bias here. I just call it how i see it.
Well said will but no matter how many times you tell them the truth they will not change their opinion, its funny how they obviously hate kobe cause they know hes too damn good, they thought jordan was gonna be the last great player and that there would be no other great player of his level to come in the league and here comes kobe so they pick on kobe where ever they can, he did something bad off the court here comes the haters to pick on that, kobe scores 81 here comes the haters to throw jordans entire career at you, they wont let it go but thats ok you know the more they hate the more they are hurting, another reason why they hate kobe is cause hes on the lakers, the lakers are one of the most hated teams in the nba due to their success and you add kobe the best player in the nba, its no different than jeter with the yankees, people hate someone doing better than them, so I say F these if they dont like it, I suggest they start winning championships of their own and stop the hate.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kwame Brown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Lakers land Gasol (Feb '08) Feb '14 waterfuckbelly 11
News Bulls vs. Sixers: Chicago takes on the league's... (Nov '13) Nov '13 edward cusic 1
News Daniel Orton Adds To Philadelphia 76ers' Uncert... (Oct '13) Oct '13 King Dyce 1
News Report: Warriors, Kwame Brown agree to free-age... (Dec '11) Apr '13 2inches of steel 2
News Perry Jones vs. Terrence Jones: Who Will Be the... (Sep '11) Oct '11 robert brink 4
News NBA Trade Deadline Looming: Three Deals The Pis... (Feb '10) Feb '10 Michigan Mike 1
News The Detroit Pistons Model is Out of Date (Dec '09) Dec '09 crazywhiteboy 1
More from around the web