Lakers trade Kwame Brown for Grizzlie...

Lakers trade Kwame Brown for Grizzlies' Pau Gasol

There are 56 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Feb 1, 2008, titled Lakers trade Kwame Brown for Grizzlies' Pau Gasol. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

The Lakers have acquired forward-center Pau Gasol from the Memphis Grizzlies for center Kwame Brown, guard Javaris Crittenton and a series of draft picks between the two teams, The Times has learned.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Vlade Divac

Crystal Lake, IL

#42 Feb 1, 2008
Before the predictable sniping at Paxson and the ownership, is it possible that this move was nothing more than a setup for a pending or future deal between the Lakers and the Bulls. After all, the Lakers already have Luke Walton on one wing .... LOL; why would they need another low post impact player? Maybe the Griz had to get the future draft picks from the Lakers. That would appear to be the prime consideration for the deal, and the opportunity to unload Gasol's contract. Kwame Brown, yeah right, that's who the Griz really wanted. Most of you nimrods aren't doing anything more than superficial, emotional reacting to what you heard. Let's see if something good can't come from this. Don't sell the Bulls/Paxson short yet ... it's too soon. That time will come if things don't get rectified.

“I comment, therefore, I am!”

Since: Sep 07

Wilmette, IL

#43 Feb 1, 2008
This is really two pieces of bad news for the Bulls. First, we don't get a player we really needed. Second, by the Lakers getting Gasol, we lose whatever opportunity we had of dumping Wallace on the Lakers. This is definitely the low point of a season with so many low points.
George Tomek

Edmond, OK

#44 Feb 1, 2008
The Bulls may not be good enough to beat the Sonics when they play them in Oklahoma City next year.
Jake

Orland Park, IL

#45 Feb 1, 2008
What is Pax doing, waiting until next year????

Since: Nov 07

Chicago

#46 Feb 1, 2008
Patrick wrote:
Paging Mr. Paxson...your services are no longer needed. This is unbelievable. They got Gasol for NOTHING. I didn't think Paxson could be this incompetent but he has reached a new low. BYE BYE JOHN!!!!
The Lakers didn't just get Gasol for nothing, they got Gasol for Kwame Brown! Addition by addition (Gasol, a plus) AND subtraction (Kwame Brown, a definite negative)!

I guess the Bulls players were able to reduce their trade value enough so that the Bulls have to keep them because NOBODY WANTS THEM!!!

Kwame Brown?

Somewhere in the wilderness, Jerry Krause is laughing his head off.

Dan Muck Kneel

Orland Park, IL

#47 Feb 1, 2008
Time for Pax to go. You are in way over your head with no where to go but down.

You have a roster full of backup bench players and no other GM in the league is stupid enough to take any of the current rubbish in a trade.

Time to gut the roster once again and try to rebuild. The only positions the Bulls need are starting point guard, shooting guard, power forward, and a center. Other than that they are set. NOT.
SoFreshandSoClea n

Maywood, CA

#48 Feb 1, 2008
I think you're right on about Crit- I almost would rather cut Farmar and develop Crit instead. He has a lionheart, size, skills... he has a lot of game. I agree he'll be a 15 pt 12 assist kind of guy in the next couple years. Its all about Memphis draft picks now- they've already got two or three pieces to build off. But man, I love the lakers and just hope Drew comes back... I hear he might be out longer than expected
joe wrote:
yea i don't know man but... GO LAKERS!!!!!!!!
People are saying we didn't give up much but in reality, Crittenton will be a bigger scorer than Farmar. He will average 18 to 20 points per game one day. He's an offensive minded point guard.
Lastly, Marc Gasol is a future Pau Gasol and is actually BIGGER than his older brother. So he'll be a very good player one day.
All in all, Memphis will be a good team in 3 years. Lakers needed Pau Gasol THIS YEAR!
That's all i'll say
<quoted text>
SoFreshandSoClea n

Maywood, CA

#49 Feb 1, 2008
We (the lakers) would never have acquired Wallace... the word is out his knees are bad and we can see his soft play as plain as you can. Dude, we let Shaq go, you think we'd pick up Wallace?
Richard Friedman wrote:
This is really two pieces of bad news for the Bulls. First, we don't get a player we really needed. Second, by the Lakers getting Gasol, we lose whatever opportunity we had of dumping Wallace on the Lakers. This is definitely the low point of a season with so many low points.
Kosmo Kramer

Tularosa, NM

#50 Feb 1, 2008
Vlade Divac wrote:
Before the predictable sniping at Paxson and the ownership, is it possible that this move was nothing more than a setup for a pending or future deal between the Lakers and the Bulls. After all, the Lakers already have Luke Walton on one wing .... LOL; why would they need another low post impact player? Maybe the Griz had to get the future draft picks from the Lakers. That would appear to be the prime consideration for the deal, and the opportunity to unload Gasol's contract. Kwame Brown, yeah right, that's who the Griz really wanted. Most of you nimrods aren't doing anything more than superficial, emotional reacting to what you heard. Let's see if something good can't come from this. Don't sell the Bulls/Paxson short yet ... it's too soon. That time will come if things don't get rectified.
Hey VD, whomever you really are, great post. You have shown me the best insight into the deal. What expiring contracts could we have offered? These so called basketball fans of the Bulls are surely rabid and seem to always want to erase the chalkboard and start over. I'll bet the main posters play alot of Fantasy BB. It sounds that unrealistic and quick-draw McGraw on deals. Thanks for the focus on the PG deal...
Josh Howard arkansas

Conway, AR

#51 Feb 2, 2008
I was sleeping and woke up and decided to turn on sportcenter and listen to some news, I was expecting the johan santana talk, Im a hudge laker fan and I seen in the right hand corner gasol traded to the lakers I was shocked I just started jumping up and down not only that they got gasol but they got rid of kwamae brown that dude is sorry. I was extremely shock becaause usually they talk about a potential trade for a week or 2 on sportscenter before it goes down and it came from nowwhere, Im glad it came from nowhere because if this was aired before it went down seeing that the lakers got him for nothing other teams might get involved and try to get gasol for nothing so im happy thier and lakers I hope this will make kobie happy and he finally can win a championship and get the shaq monkey off his back i mean it took kobie to win those titles to, did shaq win a title in orlando nope and he had penny.
Josh Howard arkansas

Conway, AR

#52 Feb 2, 2008
I was shocked that gasol got trade to the lakers i was sleeping and turn on sportcenter and was expecting toh hear more of the santana trade talks and i heard of Gasol and I started jumping up and down, Im a hudge laker fan I was shocked becasue this came from nowhere and when a trade is announced like this they talk about it for a week on sportcenter before it happens and Im kinda of glad that it didnt air like that becasue if other gm's new the lakers were getting gasol for nothing they would try to get him so im glad the grizzlies did it private and man kobie finally hopefully will be happy and get a championsip and get shaq monkey off his back I hate people that say he can't win without shaq he helped win those titles to did shaq win a title in orlando nope I think he lost to the rockets so kobie can finally shut people up hopefully with the trade lakers made.
nwgoodwin

Long Beach, CA

#53 Feb 2, 2008
i am still shocked about this trade!!!! how did mitch kupchak pull this block buster trade off. the lakers get pau gasol a all star former rookie of the year!!!!!!!!!! pau gasol can flat out play he is awesome. next to kobe and bynum oh my look out nba world. can we say twin towers, the lakers have jumped in front of phoenix, dallas and san antonio. there is no team in the west that will stop that purple and gold machine, once byum gets back. san antonio is already showing that their run is over, dallas is the biggest chokers in the world of sports, and phoenix doesn't stand against that laker front line of bynum, gasol and odom. the grizzlies gm should be fired!!!!!!!!!! straight up he gift wrapped a the lakers a championship. people were upset when the lakers didn't get kg, personally the ended up with a better deal gasol is extremly versitile the lakers have jumped the top of the west and that's some real talk!!!!!!!!!!
joe

Covina, CA

#54 Feb 4, 2008
yea i don't see Javaris averaging 12 assists per game. He's not the greatest passer. He's just a very explosive scorer. He'll average more like 7 or 8 assists per game. He'll be another Nick Van Exel type of guy... remember him?:-)
SoFreshandSoClean wrote:
I think you're right on about Crit- I almost would rather cut Farmar and develop Crit instead. He has a lionheart, size, skills... he has a lot of game. I agree he'll be a 15 pt 12 assist kind of guy in the next couple years. Its all about Memphis draft picks now- they've already got two or three pieces to build off. But man, I love the lakers and just hope Drew comes back... I hear he might be out longer than expected
<quoted text>
SoFreshandSoClea n

Los Angeles, CA

#55 Feb 4, 2008
Nick the Quick? Yeah, was almost great, but his bad attitude always hurt his career. Javaris has his head in the right place and will be a very solid PG. Once he finds his niche with the right team he'll be very solid. If L.A. can gel with Bynum being out and Pau coming in... its gonna be LA vs. Boston in the finals and go 7 games. It's early but i'm getting excited for that- KG, Allen, Pierce, Big Baby, Rondo vs KB24, Gasol, Bynum, Odom, Turiaf, Fish/Farmar... yeahhhhh Game 7 at the Garden w/ the Title on the line...
joe

Covina, CA

#56 Feb 4, 2008
I agree... but lets get Bynum back first and Gasol learning the triangle offense (which shouldn't be hard for him)

It will be a fun Laker team to watch and yes.... Kobe has GOT TO BE HAPPY NOW!
SoFreshandSoClean wrote:
Nick the Quick? Yeah, was almost great, but his bad attitude always hurt his career. Javaris has his head in the right place and will be a very solid PG. Once he finds his niche with the right team he'll be very solid. If L.A. can gel with Bynum being out and Pau coming in... its gonna be LA vs. Boston in the finals and go 7 games. It's early but i'm getting excited for that- KG, Allen, Pierce, Big Baby, Rondo vs KB24, Gasol, Bynum, Odom, Turiaf, Fish/Farmar... yeahhhhh Game 7 at the Garden w/ the Title on the line...
kobe bryant

Manchester Township, NJ

#57 Feb 6, 2008
this is what i was hoping for kwane brown to get traded .

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kwame Brown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Is Kobe Bryant better than Michael Jordan? (Apr '07) Aug 1 Fart news 12,043
News Lakers land Gasol (Feb '08) Feb '14 waterfuckbelly 11
News Bulls vs. Sixers: Chicago takes on the league's... (Nov '13) Nov '13 edward cusic 1
News Daniel Orton Adds To Philadelphia 76ers' Uncert... (Oct '13) Oct '13 King Dyce 1
News Report: Warriors, Kwame Brown agree to free-age... (Dec '11) Apr '13 2inches of steel 2
News Perry Jones vs. Terrence Jones: Who Will Be the... (Sep '11) Oct '11 robert brink 4
News NBA Trade Deadline Looming: Three Deals The Pis... (Feb '10) Feb '10 Michigan Mike 1
More from around the web