Howard scores career-high 39 in Magic...

Howard scores career-high 39 in Magic's win over Sonics

There are 64 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Nov 28, 2007, titled Howard scores career-high 39 in Magic's win over Sonics. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

Dwight Howard dunked, blocked and dominated Seattle's undersized frontline for a career-high 39 points and 16 rebounds, and the Orlando Magic beat the SuperSonics 110-94 on Wednesday night for their NBA-best ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

Kevin

Port Orange, FL

#43 Nov 29, 2007
another thing, dont expect magic wins in phoenix or golden state. i dont see orlando keeping up with the warriors on the last stop during this long west coast trip. but 3-2 on the road is a great trip. remember good teams only have to go 500 on the road and protect home court
Bud says

AOL

#44 Nov 29, 2007
I actually feel sorry for that Sonics team. All the draft hoopla on them and Portland shows how expert the experts were. Let's see? If JJ got 11 in 17 minutes I wonder would that translate into 22 in 34 minutes. He's gonna be good folks, wait and see.
Jerry Fowler

AOL

#45 Nov 29, 2007
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Not FSN's fault for wanting a basic cable channel to be on a basic cable network package. BH wants to charge it's customers extra for this service and FSN is saying that they will not be aprt of trying to gouge customers. BH does not charge extra for ESPN or ESPN 2. It's part of the basic cable lineup. Why shouldnt FSN be? TEHir excuse is that they would be paying twice since sun sports is aslo fox owned and that some customers are not sports fans so why pas the cost to them. Well I say some customers dont speak spanish either sop why do yuo have to pay to get telemundo?
Right!! And some subscribers don't cook, are not hooked on soaps, and couldn't care less about at least 30% of Brighthouse's line up for the expanded basic plan which costs almost 60 bucks bottom line. Brighthouse has thrown some of the cheapest channels it could find to dump into the expanded basic package!
Tony

AOL

#46 Nov 29, 2007
Bud says wrote:
I actually feel sorry for that Sonics team. All the draft hoopla on them and Portland shows how expert the experts were. Let's see? If JJ got 11 in 17 minutes I wonder would that translate into 22 in 34 minutes. He's gonna be good folks, wait and see.
It will never happen with jj...anyone on any roster in the nba can have a good 11 minutes but he will never be more than a end of the bench guy. He only has one NBA skill and, with the exception of Kerr, undersized 2 guards who can't defend, dribble or rebound at a NBA level don't make it. There is a reason people bring up Steve Kerr constantly when talking about jj...there aren't many other examples. Think how many 2 guards that had great college careers and never made it in the pros. He was a horrible draft pick...what does he do that Humphries from U of Fla can't? You get guys like that in free agnecy not the lottery

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#47 Nov 29, 2007
Bud says wrote:
Trajan Langdon once dropped 31 on Detroit, but he was still out of the league in 3 years. He was a very similar guy to Redick - great shooter, picked 11th in the draft out of Duke. But he was undersized in the NBA and his game was so one dimensional he couldn't survive.

JJ Redick is going to have to work his ass off to become even a solid NBA player. I hope he does, I really do - but remember Trajan Langdon.

“Longtime Magic Fan”

Since: Jun 07

Orlando

#48 Nov 29, 2007
As to how many games you might expect the Magic to win, and their playoff prospects, here is a statistical analysis:
"Teams like Orlando, which have
started at least 8-2 the year after a sub-.500 season (the Magic was
40-42, good enough for a playoff berth) have averaged 52.4 wins
(dating back to the 1979-80 season). Of the seven teams who qualified
for that group, five won at least their first playoff series."
Give JJ a Break

United States

#49 Nov 29, 2007
Tony wrote:
<quoted text>
It will never happen with jj...anyone on any roster in the nba can have a good 11 minutes but he will never be more than a end of the bench guy. He only has one NBA skill and, with the exception of Kerr, undersized 2 guards who can't defend, dribble or rebound at a NBA level don't make it. There is a reason people bring up Steve Kerr constantly when talking about jj...there aren't many other examples. Think how many 2 guards that had great college careers and never made it in the pros. He was a horrible draft pick...what does he do that Humphries from U of Fla can't? You get guys like that in free agnecy not the lottery
Another good example is Jeff Hornacek with Utah. He was not a great defender, but he moved well off the ball and had a quick release. JJ reminds me more of him than Steve Kerr. JJ just needs to bide his time, earn his minutes and knock down the shots when given a chance. That's what he was drafted for.
No Bandwagonn

Satellite Beach, FL

#50 Nov 29, 2007
Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
I watched it on DirecTV channel 635, there are more than one FSN channels so make sure you check all of them.
The Magic sure are fun to watch this year, I would encourage everyone to switch from BH to DirecTV or Dish to see them. The difference this year is that they are closing out quarters instead of collapsing in
the final minute of each quarter. Every team is going to make a run and close the 20 point gap, the good teams just don't let it close completely. How many times have we been down by 20-30 and come back to within 5 only to have the door shut and lose by 15 like we did to the Sonics last night? Every team will make a run it's the nature of the NBA.
It was direct tv 601. That is the NBA channel. It was in HD.
Tony

Charlotte, NC

#51 Nov 29, 2007
Give JJ a Break wrote:
<quoted text>
Another good example is Jeff Hornacek with Utah. He was not a great defender, but he moved well off the ball and had a quick release. JJ reminds me more of him than Steve Kerr. JJ just needs to bide his time, earn his minutes and knock down the shots when given a chance. That's what he was drafted for.
Hornacek was much more athletic than redick and he played even longer ago that kerr so even if he is a good comparison it still kind of proves my point about guys with his skill set being succesful. Lets face it he is playing behind guys like bogans and dooling who might not start for any other team in the NBA and he still isn't getting any minutes. That pretty much sums it up right there.

Since: May 07

San Antonio, TX

#52 Nov 29, 2007
Does every story about the Magic have to include something about BrightHouse? I'm sick and tired of hearing about BH and the greed of cable companies, when we have a team that is doing great things in the NBA with a cast of players who are young and exciting and a coach who is the best thing to happen to the Magic in years. Howard, Lewis, Turk, Nelson, and the rest are having a great start and are doing it as a team. When one has a off night the others are there to pick the up. I plan on getting a Dish next month when I move more to the eastern side of Orlando and I look forward to seeing all the games, until then I'll just have to live with it. In the grand scheme of things, it's not the end of the world. Go Magic, I'll see you in December!
GoJags

Deland, FL

#53 Nov 29, 2007
Buck Frighthouse!
Orlandodolphin

Orlando, FL

#55 Nov 29, 2007
Would have been nice to be able to watch it. Thanks Brighthouse. I'll be sure NOT to buy UCF football tickets.
Orlandodolphin

Orlando, FL

#56 Nov 29, 2007
RONY wrote:
KEEP IT IN THE DOWN SIDE OF LET'S BE SILENCE, CAUSE THE UNBEATABLE ARE GETTING BETTER, WE ARE NOT THERE YET, BUT THE TITLE IS REACHABLE, WITH GOD AND THAT MONSTER NAME HOWARD A CHILD OF GOD, BE BLESS GUYS, EVERYTHING GOING TO BE ALRIGHT WITH GOD AS THE PILOT.
Amen Brother!
Shawn

Orlando, FL

#57 Nov 29, 2007
Dude, did you watch the game or just talking?

Nelson a pure PG?, he almost blew the game, he blew a 16 leading points, he left the game - Magics by 3.

How many TOs?, you better say nothing.
Sam wrote:
Dwight is a man child. Nelson is developing into a true point guard. The new guys from LA are fitting in nicely. JJ will be nailing 3's on a regular basis here soon. Early votes for coach of the year: Stan "the man" Gundy and MVP ... Dwight Howard. Imagine how good this team will be by the time the new arena is built. This is a great time for Magic fans. GO MAGIC!!!
brian

Longwood, FL

#58 Nov 29, 2007
great game
Jimmy

Plano, TX

#59 Nov 29, 2007
Even though this wasn't an FSN game, it continues to make me sad that the Magic were so stupid to try to squeeze a few more pennies out of us fans. FSN gets almost $2 per subscriber. That's an outrageous amount to ask every cable subscriber to pay for something most of them won't want.

Unfortunately, the free market isn't working very well for cable TV. Maybe the FCC really should get involved.
Jeff

Crosby, TX

#60 Nov 29, 2007
Jimmy wrote:
Even though this wasn't an FSN game, it continues to make me sad that the Magic were so stupid to try to squeeze a few more pennies out of us fans. FSN gets almost $2 per subscriber. That's an outrageous amount to ask every cable subscriber to pay for something most of them won't want.
Unfortunately, the free market isn't working very well for cable TV. Maybe the FCC really should get involved.
AGain it's not FSN... They do not want BH to charge extra to BH's customers for their channel.
Magic over Sonics

Oviedo, FL

#61 Nov 29, 2007
Yes it was Great to see Dwight score 38 Points & get 16 Boards he is Definately a Beast! GIve The Suns a Loss on their Home Floor 11/30/07. Dwight is a BEAST!! Another win!!
GO MAGIC!!
D Big Man

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#62 Nov 29, 2007
Shawn wrote:
Dude, did you watch the game or just talking?
Nelson a pure PG?, he almost blew the game, he blew a 16 leading points, he left the game - Magics by 3.
How many TOs?, you better say nothing.
<quoted text>
1 Turnover. And the Magic outscored the Sonics by 9 in the 24 minutes he was on the floor.

I agree completely that he is not a pure PG, but then, neither are Arroyo or Dooling. Quit worrying about it - Orlando now operates a system that doesn't necessarily require them to play as pure PGs, and we are starting to see the benefits.
O-magic

Pelham, AL

#63 Nov 30, 2007
Philip Boggs wrote:
<quoted text> I agree with you and it's not because I'm being negative. The Magic have GOT TO STOP blowing big leads or it will eventually kill them! By now SVG should see these lapses coming; he's certainly seen enough of them! So do something after 9 or 10 points, don't wait until the other team comes back from 20 points! What's giong on here? Doesn't anybody learn from previous lessons? And don't treat Lewis like royalty! When he's off, he's off. He's only human. It shouldn't take all night to realize he needed help. And again, when his shots are not falling, tell him to get off his buttt and drive the basket. A superstar will always compensate. So far Lewis' ability to compensate for off nights shooting has been less than inspiring! As good as the Magic are, there's plenty of room for improvement. I'm glad SVG sees that. Too bad he's been unable to corredt it.
I agree with you 100% on blowing the leads. I think SVG is playing that confident game with these guys. He also wants the bench to get confidence. So he doesnt really want to show the panic mode to the bench. He already said that the last time what he was going to do if bench screws up. But then again, he wants make sure the bench has confidence of keeping the lead. Lewis was off yes, but he didnt want to take him out, he wanted to work his way out of this. Especially if he was helping in other ways...ie. 10 rebounds that he got. I'm just glad JJ got some minutes...if he keeps getting some minutes like that...Watchout...He can be a consistent threat off the bench.
Tough game tonight. Holly Crap. I hope they turn Phoenix off. They have been playing us like babies...No doubt they are a great teamm but damn! Dwight needs to kill the boards and I hope LEWIS rebounds from his shooting and light it up.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kurt Thomas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News New York Knicks Express Interest in Samuel Dale... (Jul '13) Jul '13 greg 1
News Knicks Rumors: Kenyon Martin Perfect Fit for Te... (Feb '13) Feb '13 Ginobili 3
News K.C. Johnson's Bulls mailbag (Feb '11) Feb '11 Topix 1
News Around the Association: 2010 NBA Draft Previews... (Jun '10) Jun '10 mac 1
News Milwaukee Bucks: Hawks fend off elimination wit... (May '10) May '10 BILL 6
News Bucks take 3-2 lead with road shocker (Apr '10) Apr '10 money man 1
News Salmons scores 22, Bucks roll over Hawks 107-89... (Apr '10) Apr '10 meow 1
More from around the web