Bulls ready to start over after trading Wallace

There are 37 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Feb 21, 2008, titled Bulls ready to start over after trading Wallace. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

For the Bulls, this is just the beginning. The rebuilding is under way. The Bulls must have noticed it's nearly March and they still are 11 games below .500. They are entering perhaps the most difficult part of ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Carbondale Boy

Pompano Beach, FL

#22 Feb 22, 2008
...trying to think of how to explain Larry Hughes. He's Scottie Pippen with no court sense, no defense, and no shot!
Jay

Lowell, IN

#23 Feb 22, 2008
As usual with Chicago, "Wait till next year". This whole trade made no sense especially for the Bulls. You can't tell me Pax is not a moron for not unloading any "starters" for the likes of POW, KG, Ray Allen, Zach Randolph (could have had for nothing). Then you trade a draft pick that actual had skills in Alridge. At least, Kupchak from the Lakers found someway to get it done after getting slammed last summer. Hey is there any way to get Rod Thorn back? At least he was smart enough to draft JORDAN...
joe

Philadelphia, PA

#24 Feb 22, 2008
its easy to say passing on Aldridge was a bad move now, but when it happened nobody really wanted him.
RamRod

Saint Paul, MN

#25 Feb 22, 2008
What the h@ll is going on with every sports franchise in this city. We had a decade wherein every one of them was a winner or, at least, worth the ticket price.

Now none, with the possible exception of the Blackhawks, is anything to distract you from the daily grind. There's no electric buzz coming from a recognized star. No direction seen but down.

I KNOW, I KNOW. The Cubbies. I'm still not convinced.

Please, one of you make a move that gives us hope or someone fun to watch on a consistant basis. I'd give examples, but those that come to mind have no replacements on the horizon. You know. Michael, Butkus, Banks, Fisk, et al.
BrownBomber

Warren, NJ

#26 Feb 22, 2008
joe wrote:
its easy to say passing on Aldridge was a bad move now, but when it happened nobody really wanted him.
He was the #2 pick in the draft! He was the best amateur player in the country that year by far. He should have been 1st but the League hyped up Bargnani as they always do with Euro-wanna bees. Even though it seems to have been a weak draft, no one else would have drafted Tyrus Thomas #2. That is exactly what Paxson did. Aldridge, Roy, and Gay were the cream of the class. For him to scout all 4 and come away with Thomas was a huge error.

Randy from Cleveland

AOL

#27 Feb 22, 2008
We're gonna miss Drew Gooden here in Cleveland-he's plainly a very talented and athletic "big". Drew is a fine post-up player who can finish, a good rebounder especially skilled at offensive boards, and has a nice touch. He's quite a good dude......always smiling and a great teamate. It's just been his misfortune to have enough value that he's been moved a few times-he tends to lose focus at times when he doesn't "feel the love". Keep Drew happy, post him up-you'll be quite pleased with the results.

As for Larry Hughes, we call him "bizarro". Not only an abysmal failure and a horrible rim clanking shooter, he's a sulking bad attitude selfless and selfish teamate. He plays like a zombie on the court-jacks up shots indiscriminantly and rarely drives to the hoop as a guy with his size and lean should. Frankly, this trade is a win for the CAVS in just moving Hughes off the roster-he's a cancerous force in the clubhouse and on the court, a very poor representative with zero passion for the game.

While Big Ben may be somewhat diminished, we'll take him here in a complementary role in bringing toughness and grit to those who challenge the rim. If he can do that he's done his job. Both Ben and Bizarro Larry should benefit from the change in teams and systems at the least.

Again......I for one will miss Drew Gooden. A fine player and a fine person. Drew.......all the best in the Windy City!
Terry

Portland, ME

#29 Feb 22, 2008
Don't forget that Sam said this is just the beginning. And at least Pax is smart enough to realize that the team is f...ed up and SOMETHING had to be done.

Forget this season, but this summer should be fun. When your team ain't doin' diddly the off-season is always more interesting.

Just don't hire Scotty the Pip as head coach.
willy

United States

#30 Feb 22, 2008
Does anyone really care who is on the floor forthe Bulls?
Go Sox!
shark

Berkeley, CA

#31 Feb 22, 2008
If the Cavs think they're going to win a championship with Wallace they've never seen him try to shoot a clutch free throw, and how many double doubles did he have this year (0 points, 0 rebounds). If they had traded him Georges Muresan it would have been a good trade -- Gooden is a bonus and, unlike Wallace, he wants to win. Too bad about Joe Smith -- he and Nocioni were the only consistent Bulls players all year, but if you're going to make an omelette....
Mike

Waldo, WI

#32 Feb 22, 2008
Wouldnt it of been better simply to keep Tyson Chandler and never signed Ben Wallace then the Bulls would not have to mess with trade of highly over priced players.
Ed Whitson

Fargo, ND

#33 Feb 22, 2008
I don't buy this article.
John Levisay

Sausalito, CA

#34 Feb 22, 2008
Gasol and Garnett, and both went for less than the Bulls could have offered. I have always been a Paxson supporter but he was asleep at the wheel in not getting something done for Gasol or Garnett. That is unless Kevin McHale was bent on helping the Celtics and Chris Wallace was under a Jerry West spell to help the Lakers.

The rap on Gooden is that he is dumb as a stump from B-Ball IQ standpoint, not the guy I want working with Noah, Thomas, and Gray. Hughes is an injury prone gunner who could not succeed even with LeBron getting doubled all the time.. The whole franchise is treading water.
BULL4EVER

Atlantic Beach, FL

#35 Feb 23, 2008
If CHICAGO gets in the POSTSEASON it is all because of DREW GOODEN and LARRY HUGHES in the mix because this CHICAGO team won a PLAYOFF SERIES last season because of BIG BEN WALLACE in the mix but CHICAGO has always been CHICAGO they traded BEN WALLACE because he did not live up to expectations on a CHAMPIONSHIP WINNING TRADITION like the WINDY CITY.That is how things have always been in a CHAMPIONSHIP WINNING TRADITION like the WINDY CITY if you don't live up to expectations you are out and this team has always wanted to win AND those 6 RINGS tell the ENTIRE STORY.
BULL4EVER

Atlantic Beach, FL

#36 Feb 23, 2008
I just hope CHICAGO catches those washington wizards for that 6th PLAYOFF SPOT because CHICAGO is just 3 games out of there and if they can get that 6th PLAYOFF SPOT CHICAGO would then play orlando instead of detroit or boston because it is going to be totally tough for this YOUNG BULLS team to beat either one of those 2 teams 4 times in a 7-game POSTSEASON SERIES.CHICAGO has a so much better shot at beating orlando like how they beat miami last season in the PLAYOFFS.
sam

Madison Heights, MI

#37 Feb 24, 2008
ben's last year in Detroit was supbar, only no one outside of Detroit really noticed because the numbers were still decent. However, he was no longer able to effectively play help defense and block a lot of shots...his legs are gone. CLE will figure that out too.

check the stats they bear this out...
joe

Philadelphia, PA

#38 Feb 25, 2008
BrownBomber wrote:
<quoted text>
He was the #2 pick in the draft! He was the best amateur player in the country that year by far. He should have been 1st but the League hyped up Bargnani as they always do with Euro-wanna bees. Even though it seems to have been a weak draft, no one else would have drafted Tyrus Thomas #2. That is exactly what Paxson did. Aldridge, Roy, and Gay were the cream of the class. For him to scout all 4 and come away with Thomas was a huge error.
you must have known something everybody else including Paxson did not. Everybody thought Thomas was going to be better than Aldridge out of college. Everyone said Aldridge was called soft and couldn't play defense. He had bust written all over him
DCL

Chicago, IL

#39 Feb 25, 2008
^^^That isn't true. Tryrus looked nice and energetic playing with Fat Baby Davis on that LSU team that made noise in the 2006 NCAA Tourney, and people saw an upside (one of the biggest in the draft, probably) to him becuase of his athleticism. But Aldridge certainly looked more NBA-ready at Texas. If you want to gamble on "potential," be sure you have the tools to help that "potential" be realized. The Bulls don't have them while with Tyrus at this point. So he continues to be an athletic forward with poor shot selection.

To say otherwise is to be as revisionist as it is to say that Walllace's signing wasn't looked at favorably at the time. I do believe many thought the contract given him was too high, myself included. But I include myself in saying that Bulls fans anticipated big things from Big Ben. The reality is he hardly lived up to even a conceivable lesser contract. But make no mistake, when Big Ben first came here there was alot of sentiment amongst the media and fandom that he would make us forget about that "bust" Chandler in no time.

The Sun-Times linked to blog writer Dave Friedman's entry that supports the argument brought forth by Sam re: Wallace, in the latter's article from January 17 (itself no longer linked, apparently):

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/blogentries/in...

The writing is old but the argument still has legs, especially since a Wallace trade is no longer just speculation.

Sam's right that playing along with Ilgauskas will help Wallace become a contributing player again--as a power forward, like he should be. The Bulls' undersized-center experiment failed in that regard, and it was destined to seeing as Wallace didn't have Billups, Hamilton, Prince, Rasheed, etc. surrounding him here in Chicago. But as the starting 4 (PF) yesterday (02/24) he had 12pts 10rebs for Cleveland. Of course this was against the hapless Grizzlies, but it wasn't like he was having those numbers against hapless teams all the time while playing here. And time will tell if the more traditionally-sized young centers on the roster will provide the offensive spark at the 5-spot that the Bulls and fans have been pining for, and that Wallace didn't (because he couldn't) provide...

Good column on this topic, Sam.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kurt Thomas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News New York Knicks Express Interest in Samuel Dale... (Jul '13) Jul '13 greg 1
News Knicks Rumors: Kenyon Martin Perfect Fit for Te... (Feb '13) Feb '13 Ginobili 3
News K.C. Johnson's Bulls mailbag (Feb '11) Feb '11 Topix 1
News Around the Association: 2010 NBA Draft Previews... (Jun '10) Jun '10 mac 1
News Milwaukee Bucks: Hawks fend off elimination wit... (May '10) May '10 BILL 6
News Bucks take 3-2 lead with road shocker (Apr '10) Apr '10 money man 1
News Salmons scores 22, Bucks roll over Hawks 107-89... (Apr '10) Apr '10 meow 1
More from around the web