Grant Hill decides it's greener in th...

Grant Hill decides it's greener in the desert -- OrlandoSentine...

There are 62 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Jul 6, 2007, titled Grant Hill decides it's greener in the desert -- OrlandoSentine.... In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

For one of the few times in his star-crossed career in Orlando, Grant Hill said he felt the timing was right -- for a change.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

Colombiano

Richardson, TX

#42 Jul 6, 2007
John O wrote:
They should've traded him and his expiring contract back in February when they had the chance. He had $16.9 million value to us then. Now he leaves us with nothing. Otis wanted to show his loyalty and this is how Grant repays that loyalty.
Now we stand to lose Darko for nothing too. Otis don't lose Darko too!
Earlier this week I was excited about the Lewis news, now I'm just upset.
MMMMM Hello If we would've traded Hill in Feb, on July 11th we would not be able so sign Lewis. When Hill's contract expired at the end of the season so did his contract and that's what gave us enough cap so sign a free agent. That Mr Hill is a f****** as* ho** for leaving the magic? absolutely. He should've signed a 2 year contract and after the second year then leave to another team if there was anything left on the tank.

I'm not gonna say hope u break a leg.....BUT I DO HOPE THAT THEY DON'T WIN A CHAMPIONSHIP.

And like I said before Mr Hill is off the list of people I admire.
big vern

United States

#43 Jul 6, 2007
a note to grant hill go to phoenix and break both legs and ankles you sorry s.o.b. mr. nice guy while you are getting paid for sitting on you a s s. after oh well let's go get me a ring. hope you never get a ring you sorry piece of s h i t.
Toan Nguyen

Lady Lake, FL

#47 Jul 6, 2007
I totally agreed with Brian Schmitz's comment about Grant Hill. Grant left Orlando for Phoenix Suns shows that why he can not achieve greatness in this life because of his character even if he can get a ring with Phoenix Suns. Everyone will remember him as a self-fish NBA player who left a team that sticked with him through his tough time and hope that he can achieve the GLORY elsewhere. It will be even worse for Grant if Phoenix will not get to NBA final. Good luck Grant!
MEUF

Lakeland, FL

#48 Jul 6, 2007
Grant Hill is a punk. He had the chance to come back and play for the league minimum and show Orlando it is not about the money he stole. But no, he had to show that he did not care about any one but himself and leave. Adios Loser.
I hate grant hill

Shreveport, LA

#49 Jul 6, 2007
where did the magic go wrote:
I do not blame Hill for taking our 93 million dollar contract. I blame the idiots that gave it to him while he was crutches. No contingency clause?
But, he could have retired several times during those seven years when things were obviously bad to:
A. give the magic a chance to sign a healthy player
B. to really try to recuperate without the pressure of needing to play for the team.
or he even could have re-negotiated his contract.
All he did was take the money and smile. All of Orlando fell in love with his smile. Vander Tweebe said last summer that in retrospect, he would do it all over again and that Hill was one of the best guys he has ever met.He had no regrets.
Now the Magic are surprised? They expected him to resign!Vander Tweebe, you idiot!
And all of you Hill lovers also said "wait and see, he will return next year to the magic because he loves Orlando and is a stand up guy and feels he owes us".
Now he wants a ring. He wants to justify his career the only way a self indulgent person can, with personal glory. He doesn't want to help the team that paid for everything he has and everything his children will have.
Thanks for the paychecks and all of your support....idiots, I fooled you all.
Greed, greed, greed.
Finally feel taken?.... good!
Just like the Hill signing, Lewis is just a name for PR and ticket sales. His game is not what the magic need This is another over paid and crippling contract.
When will they learn. Never! Not with Vander Tweebe calling the shots. After all, this is just a hobby for the rich guy who married the team owner's daughter.
The only success we have ever had is because of a few ping pong balls and management even screwed that up.
Till Vander Tweebe is out, We will never be a winning franchise.
Bye Bye Hill, you came, you laughed!
you left! wise up Orlando....?
Wow way to show your support to a team that has worked hard to impress you. If your so smart who the fuck would you have signed during the free agent period where GHill and TMac where out there are you kidding me that was a blockbuster move that only a dumbass like yourself would have passed up. Every one in the sports world new that if that situation had worked out the magic would have multiple titles by now. The truth is shit happens GHill had a bum ankle that no one could have predicted maybe its the dumb doctors that worked on it and couldnt get it right the first time. Regardless Your an idiot and should shut up. The magic management are good people and Bob is way way way smarter than you why dont you leave the management to the people with brains. Grant Hill should have stayed but its okay we dont need him no more i got confidence in our management that they will fill the gaps with good players.
Crystal W

Smiths Station, AL

#50 Jul 7, 2007
I don't understand what everyone is so surprise or upset about. Grant Hill has battled back from injuries, surgeries, staff infections... and he put forth every effort to be in a Magic uniform each season. Many would have ridden off into the sunset years ago. The hallmark of any athlete (or any person for that matter) is the desire to win. How can you fault someone who is in the twilight of their career for seeking the opportunity for a championship -- the prize that every athlete in every sport covet and presumably work hard for?
I think Grant walking off the court in May, after a play-off series, was all that he "owed" the Magic. He put the time in, the work in and he showed up. It's illogical and ignorant to fault someone for getting hurt. All he could do was try and if six surgeries, countless years of rehab and conditioning don't show that he tried, I'm not sure what does.
Someone on the Sentinel radio show called Grant Hill "trash." Are you kidding me? That notion makes me want to trade my Sentinel subscription for a Comcast NBA League Pass. Does his decision to join a winning team erase all of his humanitarian efforts? What about the work done to prevent child abuse, scholarships, Habitat for Humanity, reading programs... are those efforts trash, too? I’ve never read about him “making it rain” on strippers in Vegas, no dog fights, no fraternizing with hotel staff in Colorado. Or maybe he did and it’s been covered up by evil the PR machine that makes Grant Hill look like a saint. Come on.
To the Magic fans, the last 7 years wasn't what anyone anticipating but you can't blame Grant for getting hurt and you can't fault him for all of the Magic woes. He fought and fought and Magic fans should be content with that. No rebate necessary.
Here's to wishing Grant a beautiful championship ring... with lots and lots of diamonds!
Sicko

Portland, OR

#51 Jul 7, 2007
Kurt Thomas doesn't play small forward.
Cliff

East Elmhurst, NY

#52 Jul 7, 2007
I know Grant won't read this, but, I just had to say, this is a joke. I don't care that Grant wanted "to win a ring." He also "wanted to help the Magic win a ring." The Magic franchise went to shambles because of his contract, and we never said anything and stood by the guy. I feel bed for Grant becuase he could have been one of the greats, but he also could have been one of the great people the NBA has seen, and he just blew that. If I could curse, I'd said F*** you Grant, you better be "hurt" when the Suns play at the Magic next season.
Blake

Winter Haven, FL

#53 Jul 7, 2007
I feel like it's my own fault for looking at this game as any more than entertainment. I'm a sucker for buying into the Magic's PR (Heart and Hustle, Commitment. Team. Town., etc.) I guess I just have to learn to be heartless. "Just win, baby." It will be hard to adopt that attitude though, because I want to like the players.

As far as Grant goes, I still like the guy, but I do think it would of been cool of him to give us one more injury-free season. We've suffered with him and payed his salary and I don't feel like we got enough in return. Props to him for trying as hard as he can to get back in a Magic uniform, but I still feel a bit cheated.

OTIS PLEASE SIGN DARKO OR SOMEBODY THAT CAN HELP US WIN! I'm so sick of being the Tragic! Oh well, it could be worse I guess, we could be the Celtics. Or the Bucks. Or the Kings.
where did the magic go

Portland, OR

#54 Jul 7, 2007
I hate grant hill-

you must be in the tragic organization or related to vander tweebe.

Either way, that means you do not know what you are talking about.

BTW, I was a fan since 87. This franchise was handed all of the ingredients to be champions several times and management's decisions have screwed it up every time. The list of mistakes is so long, we do not have time to go through them.
Also, I never would have signed Hill. He was severally injured and his game was not what we needed. Arguably, he was not a go to guy. He was definitely never a finisher. He did have good stats, but the magic wanted his name and his smile. All PR, just to sooth the masses for letting Shaq go.

So, if i am sick of seeing our team fail because of bad decisions, I am going to voice my opinion. I have spent my fair share on over-priced tickets and i am tired of it.

If you want to stick your head in a hole like the tragic management and blindly support a team that fails time after time while it cost us money, go right ahead.

Remember, we pay the ticket prices and the taxes.

We need a change and 15 years of failing indicates it is a over all management problem.

Orlando finally needs people to stand up and ask for a change.It's become too expensive.

I say support them , but demand better results which Orlando deserves!
Mikebloms

Shreveport, LA

#55 Jul 7, 2007
Crystal W wrote:
I don't understand what everyone is so surprise or upset about. Grant Hill has battled back from injuries, surgeries, staff infections... and he put forth every effort to be in a Magic uniform each season. Many would have ridden off into the sunset years ago. The hallmark of any athlete (or any person for that matter) is the desire to win. How can you fault someone who is in the twilight of their career for seeking the opportunity for a championship -- the prize that every athlete in every sport covet and presumably work hard for?
I think Grant walking off the court in May, after a play-off series, was all that he "owed" the Magic. He put the time in, the work in and he showed up. It's illogical and ignorant to fault someone for getting hurt. All he could do was try and if six surgeries, countless years of rehab and conditioning don't show that he tried, I'm not sure what does.
Someone on the Sentinel radio show called Grant Hill "trash." Are you kidding me? That notion makes me want to trade my Sentinel subscription for a Comcast NBA League Pass. Does his decision to join a winning team erase all of his humanitarian efforts? What about the work done to prevent child abuse, scholarships, Habitat for Humanity, reading programs... are those efforts trash, too? I’ve never read about him “making it rain” on strippers in Vegas, no dog fights, no fraternizing with hotel staff in Colorado. Or maybe he did and it’s been covered up by evil the PR machine that makes Grant Hill look like a saint. Come on.
To the Magic fans, the last 7 years wasn't what anyone anticipating but you can't blame Grant for getting hurt and you can't fault him for all of the Magic woes. He fought and fought and Magic fans should be content with that. No rebate necessary.
Here's to wishing Grant a beautiful championship ring... with lots and lots of diamonds!
You my friend are what we call an idiot... Grant gave his best and you know what his best wasnt good enough and it wont be in phoenix either.. G Hill could have at least given us one more season for cheap then gone to Phoneix thats all. His character is in question because as soon as he gave us one full season and we actually made it to the playoffs he quits and no body likes a quiter if he knew he wanted to play for a contender next season he should have let it be known so we could have got rid of him earlier and not felt betrayed. I dont care that he fought back to get on the court thats his fucking job to do that and he was paid lots of money to do it. So shut your mouth until you know what your talkin bout.....
tragic fan

United States

#56 Jul 7, 2007
You can't hate Grant Hill for leaving!

I wanted to, but you can't.

Orlando did nothing to show him that he was in their plans this year.

First, they signed a small forward (Rashard Lewis) after they already had two on the roster. Turk is also a small forward and so is Ariza. Oh and Grant Hill, feels most comfortable at small forward, which is his natural position, even though he played shooting guard for us this season.

If the Magic would have went out and found a shooting guard like they needed, we wouldn't be so angry at him right now. Don't take out your anger on the wrong person, Otis Smith is going in the wrong direction and if it doesn't stop the only NBA we will be watching will be on TV and never at the arena
big vern

United States

#57 Jul 7, 2007
grant hill is a sellout, he got he's money now go chase the ring so you can call your career a success. because he did nothing for the magic but keep them on hold for several years...see ya grant hill go break a leg in phoenix....
Scott

Plano, TX

#58 Jul 7, 2007
The number 1 priority now for Otis is:

Point Guard - Navarro

Not only a great guard but it will also expedite the Vaquez move.
DPack

Saint Petersburg, FL

#59 Jul 7, 2007
WOW: Sure seems like a bunch of angry fans.
First, Grant Hill is involved in a business. He marketed that business to the hilt and the business was paid. The contract expired. Unless you all personally wrote his check to him (and please no jerkwater comments that you did cause you bought a ticket or two along the way.) There is no doubt the Suns are poised to make a run at the title. Grant knows his role. His minutes will be valuable and he will contribute. Ask yourself, Nash, Stoudemire, Marion, Diaw, Barbosa, Thomas the Suns rotation. Ghill will fill gaps in that rotation as he always has by being able to play evry position on the floor but center. Compare that to the Magic core of Howard, Lewis ah?????? I said Howard right?
Second, the Magic brass make a play for two of the most prized free agents a number of years ago. Neither worked out and both contracts saddled the Magic for a number of years, or does everybody remember all the happy times during T-Mac's departure or Steve Francis for that matter. Unfortunately this year the "pickings" as regards to free agency is slim which is why a R.Lewis is commanding his price.
There is no question that some bold moves will need to be done now by Magic management. Your team,even with Lewis"s impending sign is losing the components of a playoff caliber team quicker than the pieces that are being added. Something is not right when a GHill leaves when the Magic could have trotted out on the floor PG's Nelson & Dooling 2G's Ariza, Redick & Hill, 3's Lewis Turgalou & Hill , 4's Milicic, Lewis & Turgalou and 5's Howard, Battie and Milicic. That would be a strong 10 deep rotation barring injury and playoff caliber possibly with the right draw certainly into the second round. So Magic brass, what's the plan, it appears your fans are wanting to Know?
I hate grant hill

United States

#60 Jul 8, 2007
where did the magic go wrote:
I hate grant hill-
you must be in the tragic organization or related to vander tweebe.
Either way, that means you do not know what you are talking about.
BTW, I was a fan since 87. This franchise was handed all of the ingredients to be champions several times and management's decisions have screwed it up every time. The list of mistakes is so long, we do not have time to go through them.
Also, I never would have signed Hill. He was severally injured and his game was not what we needed. Arguably, he was not a go to guy. He was definitely never a finisher. He did have good stats, but the magic wanted his name and his smile. All PR, just to sooth the masses for letting Shaq go.
So, if i am sick of seeing our team fail because of bad decisions, I am going to voice my opinion. I have spent my fair share on over-priced tickets and i am tired of it.
If you want to stick your head in a hole like the tragic management and blindly support a team that fails time after time while it cost us money, go right ahead.
Remember, we pay the ticket prices and the taxes.
We need a change and 15 years of failing indicates it is a over all management problem.
Orlando finally needs people to stand up and ask for a change.It's become too expensive.
I say support them , but demand better results which Orlando deserves!
Nope not in the organization but yes i do know the van derweide family... Regardless your just a hater man. Your not a true sports fan anyways because if you were you would understand how great it is to even have these conversations and take part in an NBA team its a great privelage to be able to call a pro team your team. We all make mistakes but the magic organization are good people and they work hard to bring us a fun team to watch. Not their fault GHill turned out to be a prick. Oh yeah by the way ive been a magic fan since 87 too i was actually at the first game when they played the nets.
Crystal W

Atlanta, GA

#61 Jul 8, 2007
Mikebloms wrote:
<quoted text>
You my friend are what we call an idiot... Grant gave his best and you know what his best wasnt good enough and it wont be in phoenix either.. G Hill could have at least given us one more season for cheap then gone to Phoneix thats all. His character is in question because as soon as he gave us one full season and we actually made it to the playoffs he quits and no body likes a quiter if he knew he wanted to play for a contender next season he should have let it be known so we could have got rid of him earlier and not felt betrayed. I dont care that he fought back to get on the court thats his fucking job to do that and he was paid lots of money to do it. So shut your mouth until you know what your talkin bout.....
Wow, you and your argument are both very 3rd grade. Sure you don't work in the Magic's front office? Maybe some distant kin to Vander Weide? If Grant Hill was a quiter, he would have walked away years ago with stuffed pockets. The Magic signed him for seven years. He stayed for seven years. Did it work out the way we expect? No. His contract was up. He decided not to resign. The end. If he'd stayed for one more season and left (as you suggest), people would still be complaining that he should've stayed another...
kenny

Phoenix, AZ

#62 Jul 10, 2007
Tmacin wrote:
We never hated the Playa....Now we just HATE the playa's GAME! lol
HAHA OKAY THAT WAS STUPID LOL
geeboy

Moncada, Philippines

#63 Jul 10, 2007
Hill cant possibly play for the magic,because it will take many years before Orlando will win a trophy.Hill would be 40 years old when the magic would win one.He can't play forever,c'mon guys...So he chose the best option.This opportunity comes only once for him. If he let this opportunity pass,its over.He just wanted his career to be completed.Try to understand the man,with all that he's been through.
Where did the magic go

Portland, OR

#64 Jul 10, 2007
geeboy, try to understand what this entire city has been through.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kurt Thomas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News New York Knicks Express Interest in Samuel Dale... (Jul '13) Jul '13 greg 1
News Knicks Rumors: Kenyon Martin Perfect Fit for Te... (Feb '13) Feb '13 Ginobili 3
News K.C. Johnson's Bulls mailbag (Feb '11) Feb '11 Topix 1
News Around the Association: 2010 NBA Draft Previews... (Jun '10) Jun '10 mac 1
News Milwaukee Bucks: Hawks fend off elimination wit... (May '10) May '10 BILL 6
News Bucks take 3-2 lead with road shocker (Apr '10) Apr '10 money man 1
News Salmons scores 22, Bucks roll over Hawks 107-89... (Apr '10) Apr '10 meow 1
More from around the web