Chicago Bulls and Detroit Pistons cou...

Chicago Bulls and Detroit Pistons courting Ben Gordon

There are 42 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Jun 30, 2009, titled Chicago Bulls and Detroit Pistons courting Ben Gordon. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

A busy Tuesday for Joe Dumars began with the Pistons' president of basketball operations firing coach Michael Curry and ended with him making overtures for guard Ben Gordon as NBA free agency began at 11:01 p.m. Chicago time.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Larry

Olympia Fields, IL

#1 Jun 30, 2009
The Bulls have to be smart and say goodbye to Ben Gordon, with $25 mil possibly available in 2010 with a chance to land Bosh or Wade the Bulls have to let go Ben Gordon in order to get better.
John Anthony

United States

#3 Jun 30, 2009
Trade Hinrich...
dude

United States

#4 Jun 30, 2009
I'm not getting my hopes up for Bosh or Wade but it seems a little steep to pay a sixth man even if he can shoot the lights out. He is also a defensive liability.
BobPortCharlotte

Ann Arbor, MI

#5 Jun 30, 2009
I say let Gordon go and trade Hinrich. I continue to think that the Clippers are the best club to trade Hinrich to and get real value back for him.
fernando

Visalia, CA

#6 Jun 30, 2009
how about signing Von Wafer instead of Gordon? He scores off the at least is 6'5 on the defensive end. PLEASE I pray my beloved Bulls do not resign Gordon, he could ruin D. ROSE. save the money for D.Wade in 2010, go cheap on a scoring guard who would take a fifth of Gordon's salary demand. Go Bulls.
GTRz

Singapore, Singapore

#8 Jun 30, 2009
I think we can package Tyrus ($3M)+ Hinrich ($10M) for Bosh ($12M), while use Brad Miller ($11m) salary to dump elsewhere to keep Gordon (new salary proposal $10M). Therefore 2010 starting line up: Noah, Bosh, Deng, Gordon, Rose. Bench: Gibson, Gray, Johnson, Salmon, and Hunter. I think BULLS will win Eastern conference :) Good Luck!!!
Nada Surf

Mesa, AZ

#9 Jul 1, 2009
If Gar Foreman offers Gordon anywhere over $4 mil per year, he should be fired immediately.
michael p coy

Oswego, IL

#11 Jul 1, 2009
The Bulls are blowing smoke up everyones keyster. It's the same oldy moldy Cheapy Jerry Trick to keep more persistent reporters unlike your lemming self off the Story. Bens gone and will be missed. Just watch and see..........
Expat Observer

Europe

#12 Jul 1, 2009
Given the lack of consistent inside scoring, the Bulls can not afford to lose Gordon. On the other hand, they are cap tied unless they can figure out some sort of way to make room. Peronally, I would like to see Deng gone. He is fragile and the Bulls proved they could win without him. In the short term Salmons would slide into to small forward with johnson, or even Thomas as a back-up. I would not get rid of Hinrich at this stage as he is still needed for his ability to play either guard position. Unfortunately, I do not think the Bulls are in a position to be better than last year, and could be worse unless there is some sort of real consistent offense from the inside. You can not win in the NBA with just guards scoring.
The Chad

Spartanburg, SC

#13 Jul 1, 2009
Nada Surf wrote:
If Gar Foreman offers Gordon anywhere over $4 mil per year, he should be fired immediately.
Nah he will get praised and promoted like old Stand Pax.

Bulls are NOT going to be better than last year. Remember last year was really rough too? We need to go after a star player now and keep 15 million free for next summer. Their is no way we get two stars next summer there are too many teams building mass cap room that are in major markets.

If we can add a star player now it would make enticing a Wade, Bosh or second tier star easier.
Ken

North Chicago, IL

#14 Jul 1, 2009
If you love him, let him go!
KC - it's clear from hearing you speak about Gordon that you have gotten too close to him to be objective. Let him go be an overpaid high scorer on some other team. He is not part of a championship team - but maybe he will be towards the end of his career as a bit player playing for a veteran's exemption. Let's continue contructing the championship team. We have the first piece, and some nice bit players. It's a must to get someone like Bosh to go with Rose.
Jerry Krause

Clawson, MI

#15 Jul 1, 2009
is Rodman available?
Alex

Chicago, IL

#16 Jul 1, 2009
Losing Gordon is terrible blow to the Bulls offense. There is no one on the team that will replace his scoring.
He is a tough guy that is not afraid to go to the rim.

Hinrich is a joke and even if Gordon is gone, the Bulls can't afford to keep this expensive role player. If they can dump him it will open up
more space for a real starter.

Deng is to often injured to be traded.
The next season is a rebuilding year, again.
jaba

United States

#17 Jul 1, 2009
Nada Surf wrote:
Get a clue and go back to bed.
Mgray

Atlanta, GA

#18 Jul 1, 2009
Any team dumb enough 2 let it's BEST player become an unrestricted free agent should LOSE that player with no compensation. If Ben want 2 win he needs 2 leave the Bulls, just ask Shannon Brown.
TONY B

United States

#19 Jul 1, 2009
Unfortunately we should probably let him go. I've had a fantastic time watching Gordon, and he makes the most fascinating circus shots I've ever seen. His ability to plant on a dime and rise up in a defender's face is so bada$$ it's incredible. Nevertheless, he can't really defend, when he tries to dribble bad things happen, and I think money/points are too prevalent in his mind to have. I'll cheer for him wherever he goes, except for when he's playing the Bulls, of course. His release from our roster should lead to some exciting happenings.
Mgray

Atlanta, GA

#20 Jul 1, 2009
Why on Earth would a good NBA player come 2 play for No action Paxsion, Gar and Del negroe? This team has ZERO chance of signing legit NBA stars.
ATLDre

Atlanta, GA

#21 Jul 1, 2009
Larry wrote:
The Bulls have to be smart and say goodbye to Ben Gordon, with $25 mil possibly available in 2010 with a chance to land Bosh or Wade the Bulls have to let go Ben Gordon in order to get better.
Let a proven player walk to take a chance on what might happen. Is this Kevin McHale?
john run

Elgin, IL

#22 Jul 1, 2009
Expat Observer wrote:
Given the lack of consistent inside scoring, the Bulls can not afford to lose Gordon. On the other hand, they are cap tied unless they can figure out some sort of way to make room. Peronally, I would like to see Deng gone. He is fragile and the Bulls proved they could win without him. In the short term Salmons would slide into to small forward with johnson, or even Thomas as a back-up. I would not get rid of Hinrich at this stage as he is still needed for his ability to play either guard position. Unfortunately, I do not think the Bulls are in a position to be better than last year, and could be worse unless there is some sort of real consistent offense from the inside. You can not win in the NBA with just guards scoring.
Excellent post; Gordon hasn't been the problem- it's lack of inside offense and inside defenders.
There are no free agents who will be attracted to the Bulls when Rose is left to be their only above average player. Letting Gordon walk will enable them to be a top lotterey contender for the next several seasons.
hydeparkLuke

United States

#23 Jul 1, 2009
GTRz wrote:
I think we can package Tyrus ($3M)+ Hinrich ($10M) for Bosh ($12M), while use Brad Miller ($11m) salary to dump elsewhere to keep Gordon (new salary proposal $10M). Therefore 2010 starting line up: Noah, Bosh, Deng, Gordon, Rose. Bench: Gibson, Gray, Johnson, Salmon, and Hunter. I think BULLS will win Eastern conference :) Good Luck!!!
I like your idea BUT, keep noah and trade Deng. Start Salmon before Noah.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kirk Hinrich Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News If Chicago Bulls Steal Devin Harris, Dallas Mav... (May '14) May '14 andy 4
News Bulls stun Miami in East series 'opener' (May '13) May '13 Ginobili 7
News White House Praises NBA's Jason Collins (Apr '13) May '13 Juan0842 33
News Does Healthy Derrick Rose Give Chicago Bulls Fi... (Mar '13) Apr '13 Frog 3
News Chicago Bulls vs. Minnesota Timberwolves: Live ... (Mar '13) Mar '13 Joel 1
News Point Guard Situation: Nate or Kirk? (Feb '13) Mar '13 Elvin Morales 13
News Nocioni may be the igniter for Bulls (Nov '07) Mar '13 laz 2
More from around the web