Lakers' Bryant set to face 'next Kobe'

Full story: Daily Breeze

A writer from Rolling Stone magazine recently referred to Kevin Durant as the next Kobe Bryant.
Comments
1 - 20 of 42 Comments Last updated Mar 28, 2010
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Santosh

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2010

Judged:

Whoever wrote that article is a MORON! How can YOU guys even group Durant in the same category as Kobe Bryant. 4 NBA CHAMPIONSHIP rings, and not as a role player but an ALPHA dog on the team. Durant may be scoring more point NOW, thats well and good, BUT did you forget KOBE about 5 years ago. From 2002-2009??? Dude was a scoring machine, he was un-stopable, he would just annihilate defenses and teams by himself. KOBE has been DOUBLED AND TRIPPLED for about 8 years now. DURANT has not faced such complications yet. Let teams such as Celtics, Magic, Lakers, Spurs and Cavs throw doubles on him ALL GAMES LONG and lets see how far Durant gets. Dont get me worong, Durant is a very good players, BUT is he playing with ani injured ankle and 2 broken fingers??
I read where it was mentioned that Durant is the main reason why they are about to make the playoffs. HELLO, KObe took the all scrubbed team (KWAME Brown, Smuch Parker, Brain Cook, Chris Mhim and ROOKIES) to the playoffs in a STACKED western CONF and pushed the Suns to game 7. BTW, all those players mentioned above are not starting or even in rotation on any teams in the NBA!!!!
So what Kobe plays on a star team, LOOK WHAT HE HAS DONE with Gasol joining the team half way in the season. Lakers went from #8 seed that year to #1 and in the NBA finals. THEY ONLY LOST 7 GAMES AFTER THE ALL-STAR BREAK. To top that off, they won it ALL the year after. He also AVG 32ppg, 6rpg and 6apg and only other player to do so is MJ.

PLEASE dont put Durant in the Kobes box untill he has gone thru about 6 more seasons and has won 2 rings.
Steve the Flash

Rancho Cordova, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2010

I agree that you cannot compare Durant to Kobe, and
the BOZO from Rolling Stone who did, needs to be
FIRED! Oklahoma better hope they don't drop down
to the 8th spot and play THE LAKESHOW! It will be
a 4-0 sweep!!! The toughest game on this road trip
will be Houston, because it is a back to back. I do
believe that the Lakers will go 5-0 on this road trip
and finish the regular season strong and ready to
win it ALL! GO LAKESHOW!!!!!!!!!!
Showtime

Anaheim, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2010

Clearly another moron who does not know enough about basketball to be comparing players, you cant just go by stats, I cant say it enough stats don't ever tell you the full story.
Sammy

Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2010

From what I have read and heard, this article is clearly way off. The nba hopes to see Durant as the next Kobe so that they can continue to stuff their pockets with Marketing and media. They need to continuously have marketable players, we all know Kobe is getting older. However you guys are right, to toot him anywhere near Kobe YET is assinine.
Wow

Mission Viejo, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2010

Judged:

Santosh wrote:
Whoever wrote that article is a MORON! How can YOU guys even group Durant in the same category as Kobe Bryant. 4 NBA CHAMPIONSHIP rings, and not as a role player but an ALPHA dog on the team. Durant may be scoring more point NOW, thats well and good, BUT did you forget KOBE about 5 years ago. From 2002-2009??? Dude was a scoring machine, he was un-stopable, he would just annihilate defenses and teams by himself. KOBE has been DOUBLED AND TRIPPLED for about 8 years now. DURANT has not faced such complications yet. Let teams such as Celtics, Magic, Lakers, Spurs and Cavs throw doubles on him ALL GAMES LONG and lets see how far Durant gets. Dont get me worong, Durant is a very good players, BUT is he playing with ani injured ankle and 2 broken fingers??
I read where it was mentioned that Durant is the main reason why they are about to make the playoffs. HELLO, KObe took the all scrubbed team (KWAME Brown, Smuch Parker, Brain Cook, Chris Mhim and ROOKIES) to the playoffs in a STACKED western CONF and pushed the Suns to game 7. BTW, all those players mentioned above are not starting or even in rotation on any teams in the NBA!!!!
So what Kobe plays on a star team, LOOK WHAT HE HAS DONE with Gasol joining the team half way in the season. Lakers went from #8 seed that year to #1 and in the NBA finals. THEY ONLY LOST 7 GAMES AFTER THE ALL-STAR BREAK. To top that off, they won it ALL the year after. He also AVG 32ppg, 6rpg and 6apg and only other player to do so is MJ.
PLEASE dont put Durant in the Kobes box untill he has gone thru about 6 more seasons and has won 2 rings.
And rapist, don't forget adulterer/rapist when you kiss kobe's arse.
brian

Midland, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2010

This is the same Rolling Stone magazine who hated and criticized every Led Zepplin album ?

They have no credibility.
ndongo

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2010

i guess some one has to keep the conversation going. why even compare improven players to a proven player. kobe has won champoinships done this and done that the others have not yet even thought the talent is there and likely to be productive in the long run. What happen to the sentence" you have to earn your dues". until then, I do not think there should be any comparaison or conversation. kobe has mileage on him hurt fingers, back problems,ankle you name it and we all know that but still playing hard. should we take advantage of a hurt player and use it as an excuse to compare him to healthy improven young upcoming players. now if you want to motivate kobe to keep winning champoinships that is another story. remember we missjudged players such as charle bacley, karl malone great but not so great only the end of their carrier told the story. the only reason why karl malone or bakley for that matter didn't won a champoinship was because of michael jordan. Kobe still around do not speak fast. this is a personal opinion. ndongo
s myers

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2010

The idiot matt taibbi who wrote that article needs to go write about a school spelling bee or something because he has no idea what hes talking about.For one thing labron is not better than Kobe.If I rember right Kobe has 4 championships labron cant even win one.If labron wants too win a championship he needs to signe a contract and play for the lakers.
James

Sherman Oaks, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2010

I don't understand how you could say Kobe would slip further down the ranking. If he had to, Kobe could average 30 ppg, but he doesn't have to. In fact if he was pushing himself to average 30 ppg he would be a worse player because he is taking away from his team. Lebron and Durant are great players, but their stats are in that range because they have to be in order to win. Kobe's stats were up higher when he did not have the supporting cast he has now too. My rankings below.

1. Kobe Bryant - Most vicious player in the game.
2. Lebron James - Straight up powerhouse.
3. Dwayne Wade - 2nd best closer in the game.
4. Kevin Durant - Amazing all-around game.
5. Dwight Howard - Can out muscle just about anyone anytime.
DrPhil

Beaumont, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2010

Judged:

Neither Kevin Durant nor Le Bron James are champions because they never won a championship. Neither Durant nor James can be called team leaders with demonstrated success because they never succeeded in leading their teams to win the ultimate prize in NBA. Indivdual comparisons are mostly based on regular season statistics, which is rather meaningless once the playoffs begin. Wait till Durant has a few years playing in the playoffs and we will see how well he can lead his team in games that mean something, rather than just "dress rehearsals."
apujac

Austin, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2010

durant is better than kobe, although lakers are my team.
Moi

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2010

Judged:

People forget that Kobe has been playing with a broken finger for the most part of the season and yet he is still there with the high scorers. I wonder how LeBron,Wade or Durant would fair if they were playing with the same injury. Just because Kobe isn't scoring as much does not mean that he is getting washed up. Don't get me wrong, the upcoming stars are great and will be great, but I think that the youngsters still have more to prove not Kobe, after all how many championship rings do they have on their fingers?
carol

Allen, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2010

Judged:

I am so tired of all this comparison to Kobe!! The press has been trying to make Kobe look like less than he is for years and he just keeps on playing incredible ball and has 4 rings to prove and was an important part of every ring! Neither lebron or this durant kid have won squat!!! The argument is so damned tiresome. And I hope the Lakers kick some serious a$$ this season and win the championship again, and all your comparisons won't mean jack!!!
carol

Allen, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2010

Judged:

Wow wrote:
<quoted text>
And rapist, don't forget adulterer/rapist when you kiss kobe's arse.
And give that crap a rest you idiot! That has nothing to do with basketball, get a freakin life you loser!
Kobe is the best

Lake Forest, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2010

Santosh wrote:
Well said...I agree 100 percent.
Tiger is the best

Dayton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2010

Judged:

Kobe is the best wrote:
<quoted text> Well said...I agree 100 percent.
The best what? Person that cheated on his wife?
Nope tiger beat him there big time

Since: Jun 09

San Fernando Valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2010

Judged:

Since the days of the marketing genius and league-saving success of Lakers vs Celtics/Magic vs Bird that were employeed by the NBA, they now run their administration with "marketing" at the forefront of ANY decision, knowing that if they succeed there, everything falls in line (line as in the putting money in the lining of the league's pocket). So when RS puts out an article like this, probably a lot of the propaganda they receive is from the NBA, who are always looking at who is the next potential "marketable" superstar that they need to push into the stratosphere .
TheWay

Studio City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2010

The best player is the one who is on the team that wins the championship. So it's Kobe right now.
Sammy

Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2010

TheWay wrote:
The best player is the one who is on the team that wins the championship. So it's Kobe right now.
You mean like Wade and Duncan and Garnett did? Hmm so best players who win Championships are best in the league..oh yea I get it.
Sammy

Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2010

Judged:

Tiger is the best wrote:
<quoted text>
The best what? Person that cheated on his wife?
Nope tiger beat him there big time
Hey Jesse James did not do too bad either.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Kevin Durant Discussions

Search the Kevin Durant Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Trending Now: Serena Williams eliminated at Fre... May '14 Snap 1
Kendrick Perkins plays a valuable role for the ... Apr '14 Kelli 3
Oklahoma City Thunder vs. Golden State Warriors... (Jan '14) Jan '14 Denver 1
OKC Thunder star Kevin Durant makes $1 million ... (May '13) May '13 Paris Hilton 9
Westboro Baptist Church Blames Oklahoma Tornado... (May '13) May '13 Ginobili 1
Grizzlies take 2-1 lead beating Thunder 87-81 (May '13) May '13 bandwagoners. 1
Will Austin Trout Get a Fair Shake With Saul Al... (Apr '13) Apr '13 Linda 1
•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••