Pacers take another look at options

Pacers take another look at options

There are 71 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Jul 11, 2007, titled Pacers take another look at options. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

The NBA's negotiating period came and went without the Indiana Pacers making much of a splash.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
oldteamsr ule

Elgin, IL

#65 Jul 12, 2007
Options for the Pacers? I got one.

M O V E out of T o W N

and take the thugs with u!!!
dan

Medford, NY

#66 Jul 12, 2007
I've read every post and 90% is negative. Let's start at the top.Larry Bird maybe the worst GM in the NBA along with Isiah Thomas. So if Larry is the worst who is the best. Well I really Like the Jerry west, signing Mike Conley I think he will be one of the best point guards in the league.
(2) stop blaming the Simons the best owners in the NBA. The Simons have always been good for Indianapolis and always will be. So they have a terrible team right now, not their fault. We should think God for the Simons help put Indianapolis on the map.(4) Donnie Walsh, if you wan't to put the blame on someone with start with Donnie hired Larry Bird enough said. Traded our # 1 pick to Atlanta for a player we didn't even keep for more than 3 months.
Hey S face

South Bend, IN

#67 Jul 12, 2007
embarassed fan wrote:
what is the front office thinking.... oh yea thats right, the pacers always take left the overs. just look at all the players they traded off or didn't sign to make o'neal happy.... f. jones, j. jones, croshere, harrington, johnson.... should i continue, now look what the pacers are left with. looking for lottery in 08!!!!
Oh boy, Freddie Jones, James Jones, Austin Croshere, Al Harrington, Anthony Johnson: What were we thinking? That's pretty much an all-star team there. I mean, just look at all the success those guys had after they were traded.

With the exception of Al Harrington, that list hasn't done much outside of a Pacers uniform. Heck, Freddie has been traded like 3 times since then, the poor guy. And even Al Harrington did a disappearing act with Golden State in the playoffs, pretty much the same thing he did with us when we made the playoffs.

Also, I don't think we ran off those players to make Jermaine happy? James Jones, we simply couldn't afford. Anthony Johnson was coming off a career year and everyone smart knew he still stunk, so we traded him at his highest value and got Darrell (who was better, although even older somehow) and Rawle Marshall (who I like). O'Neil surely didn't run any of those guys off, don't just spout off ridiculous statements with no factual background.
Not Stephen A Smith

Savannah, GA

#68 Jul 12, 2007
I find it interesting that no one has mentioned the fact that Jim O'Brien coached the 2002 Celtics into the conference finals. Granted, that may have been the worst Eastern Conference ever, with six teams in the west better than the best team in the east. Still, anyone who could coax Antoine Walker into almost being a leader...that's commendable. If he has that effect on at least a couple guys, the Pacers might not be so awful. The east is completely wide open next year, and hell yes the Pacers should try to throw a wrench in the Mo Williams deal if they can. If anyone has less leverage than the Pacers around the league right now, it's the Bucks (and maybe the Kings and T-wolves), so they might even be up for a divisional swap. But you know, the best thing might just be for Bird to stay the hell out of the way for a while and see what happens with the new coach. If I were him, I would target Tinsley first and then Dunleavy. Then start thinking about Murphy and Daniels, both of whom were pretty productive as little as two years ago. There's more talent here than in Cleveland, or at least it's more evenly distributed. And remember, it's not the west! Imagine being in Memphis...
B_Steiner

United States

#69 Jul 12, 2007
Pacers Have Most if not all the pieces to have a good playoff calabur team if they can just put it together.
They should start and play this rotation.(Power rotation Foster, O'Neal and Murphy & Diogu is solid)
(Swing Rotation of Dunleavy, Daniels, and Granger is Solid)(PG depth is weak, no star power, only two PG on roster Tinsley, Armstrong)
C Jeff Foster 27 min
PF Jermaine O'Neal 35 Min
SF Mike Dunleavy 32 Min
SG Marquis Daniels 32 Min
PG Jamaal Tinsley 30 Min
6th-man Troy Murphy (PF/C) 28 Min
7th-man Danny Granger (SF/SG) 32 Min
Backup C/PF Ike Diogu 6 Min
Backup PG Darrell Armstrong 18 min

Go Pacers - PS if they play to their potential in the east who is better, Not the Knicks, Atlanta, Philly, Milwakee, Toranto, Boston, Orlando All missing the same or bigger pieces.
Michael Cooper

Redwood City, CA

#71 Jul 12, 2007
B_Steiner wrote:
Pacers Have Most if not all the pieces to have a good playoff calabur team if they can just put it together.
They should start and play this rotation.(Power rotation Foster, O'Neal and Murphy & Diogu is solid)
(Swing Rotation of Dunleavy, Daniels, and Granger is Solid)(PG depth is weak, no star power, only two PG on roster Tinsley, Armstrong)
C Jeff Foster 27 min
PF Jermaine O'Neal 35 Min
SF Mike Dunleavy 32 Min
SG Marquis Daniels 32 Min
PG Jamaal Tinsley 30 Min
6th-man Troy Murphy (PF/C) 28 Min
7th-man Danny Granger (SF/SG) 32 Min
Backup C/PF Ike Diogu 6 Min
Backup PG Darrell Armstrong 18 min
Go Pacers - PS if they play to their potential in the east who is better, Not the Knicks, Atlanta, Philly, Milwakee, Toranto, Boston, Orlando All missing the same or bigger pieces.
Looks good on paper but Larry's right, we need a starting Center and a 2 Guard who can play defense. The last time I looked at the roster our Center was listed as a Forward (Harrison) and how much more can Armstrong take. Danny Grangers going to have to start and JTin's got to pickup from last year. Larry's got to be reminded what he said when He was Coach-" No Rick Smits-No Larry Bird". Ok Man, go get us a Center!, I know Coach O'B has said something to that nature.
death by taxes

Indianapolis, IN

#72 Jul 13, 2007
Not much you can do wrote:
<quoted text>
A team of thugs? Oh yeah Jeff Foster screams of being a thug. JO owns a club so he must be a thug. Harrison, Granger, and Williams are out there gang banging all night. Give me a break. We have one bad apple and he should not ruin it for the rest of the bunch. A true fan would stick with their team even when they go through a rough point. One thing this season has proved is that Indiana is full of fairweather fans and I am sure the same will happen to the Colts when we start to lose again.
I agree totally! Except I think there were three thugs.
the one true fan

Desert Hot Springs, CA

#73 Jul 13, 2007
I think oneal should go to the lakers for bynum,sasha so we could have a young energized team.
Yeah Right

Indianapolis, IN

#74 Jul 16, 2007
Maybe we can trade our 2008 #1 pick to Golden State for Al Harington? That philosphy has worked pretty well in the past.
SouthsideFanScot t

Indianapolis, IN

#75 Jul 17, 2007
I think the Pacers should trade everyone and start over the fans deserve better, Im a big Larry Bird fan but he has done nothing but bring the pacers down, whos been searching for talented players because he should be traded just like the rest of the good players have been.
SouthsideFanScot t

Indianapolis, IN

#76 Jul 17, 2007
jermaine oneal SUCKS trade him to anyone for a 2nd round draft choice in 2012 well get more out of him that way

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Keith McLeod Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Pacers' summer play impresses O'Brien (Jul '07) Jul '07 ARS 68
News Let's get to the point (Jul '07) Jul '07 Harrison Freebird 2
News What to expect (Apr '07) Apr '07 kravitz 2
News 5 injured players sit out Indiana finale (Apr '07) Apr '07 BC Realtor 3
News Pacers' hopes gone; is O'Neal? (Apr '07) Apr '07 Troubled Pacer Fan 28
News Pacers' ineptness continues (Apr '07) Apr '07 Whats the Point 3
News Pacers win, gain ground on Orlando (Apr '07) Apr '07 Ben Dover 26
More from around the web