Pacers take another look at options

Full story: The Indianapolis Star

The NBA's negotiating period came and went without the Indiana Pacers making much of a splash.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of71
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
IU Guy 68

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 12, 2007

I realize that we need a PG...but I heard that Williams is already planning on resigning with the Bucks. I still believe we should trade O'Neal for some good young talent (LA: Bynum, Odom, and Crittenton or NJ: Jefferson, Krystic, and Williams). However, the end of the article is where I want to direct this message. I believe Baston was a very good player, who didn't get near enough time off the bench. He was a good shot blocker and a great scorer. He had the best shooting percentage of all the Pacers. I realize that he was at his best with Saras, but he still showed alot of potential. I don't know why we would go after Jamaal Magloire if we want to release Baston. I realize that Baston is a PF and Magloire is a Center, but still, the Pacers have plenty of big men. I only would understand this pickup if we traded O'Neal for smaller guys. Regardless, the Pacers should be a big part of trade discussions this offseason. Hopefully they can dump one of the long contracts with O'Neal if they decide to go that route.
Lets go Hoosiers

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 12, 2007

Mo Williams would be great, but only if we could deal Tinsley in a sign and trade deal. That would never happen. And williams isnt going to sign for the mid-level exeption. He is going to get at least 8/year from the Bucks.

Its just funny to see the GM of a franchise say "we didnt have any draft picks and we dont have any space under the salary cap". That is exactly where you should be trying to keep your franchise from going.
LoserLarry

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 12, 2007

Hey here's a solution. Let's trade away our 2017 and 2018 draft pics for an over the hill NBA veteran. We don't need no stink' draft picks -- draft picks are overrated.
Adam

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 12, 2007

No, the Pacers are not looking for help at point guard, they are looking for a point guard. One who cares enough about his team, fans and city to act like it.
They need to get the bugs worked out and let some bugs go, Tinsley being #one.
death by taxes

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 12, 2007

Has anyone offered to buy the pacers?
Maybe we could all pitch in and help them move. "The Fairbanks Pacers"
sounds good.
who cares anymore

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 12, 2007

This is playing out exactly as we all had feared. The Pacers can't move any of their overpriced, underperforming players, continue to waste draft picks and won't trade ONeal. I'm just glad that I dont waste my money on season tickets. I can barely stand to watch a few quarters on TV. Here's to another mediocre season.
lawdan

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 12, 2007

donnie walsh and larry bird. those two need to be traded.
Oddball

Bloomington, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 12, 2007

IU Guy 68 wrote:
I realize that we need a PG...but I heard that Williams is already planning on resigning with the Bucks. I still believe we should trade O'Neal for some good young talent (LA: Bynum, Odom, and Crittenton or NJ: Jefferson, Krystic, and Williams). However, the end of the article is where I want to direct this message. I believe Baston was a very good player, who didn't get near enough time off the bench. He was a good shot blocker and a great scorer. He had the best shooting percentage of all the Pacers. I realize that he was at his best with Saras, but he still showed alot of potential. I don't know why we would go after Jamaal Magloire if we want to release Baston. I realize that Baston is a PF and Magloire is a Center, but still, the Pacers have plenty of big men. I only would understand this pickup if we traded O'Neal for smaller guys. Regardless, the Pacers should be a big part of trade discussions this offseason. Hopefully they can dump one of the long contracts with O'Neal if they decide to go that route.
Dude, we would love to do those trades. Problem is, the other team has to too. Lakers and Nets trades are a joke.
Little Bill

Bloomington, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 12, 2007

"We will talk about it and decide what we want to do," Walsh said. "We have seven days to decide what direction we want to go."

I'd say resign him to go in the direction of 'down the toilet'. Don't resign him may require some plunger action.

Either way, this season is in the crapper.
I am Dumb

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 12, 2007

Again, basketball fans do not understand business. Too bad management doesn't give Hoosiers a business 101 course to help them understand that all teams face similar issues. Very few teams in the NBA can establish a dynasty and usually it's one or two great players on a team and several role players that makes a team successful. In any regards, let's talk about the trades so that people have a better understanding of the desicions we face.
1. Ron Artest
Initially, I was thrilled to see him come here and I thought we got the best deal in regards to Chicago in the multi-player trade. We got rid of Jalen Rose and he was just horrible on defense and we picked up Brad Miller who we couldn't resign due to salary constraints.
2. Jonathon Bender
Probably the biggest reason why we were harmed--and I would say more than Ron Ron--because he was considered to be a great talent and by all reports, if he did not have the physical problems, we would have had a tremendous compliment to Jermaine O'Neal and possibly would not have resigned Jamaal Tinsley.
3. Austin Croshere - He was obviously signed for an exceptional contract and one of our biggests mistakes as like Jalen Rose, he could not defend well. Austin did bring hustle, great 3-point shooting, a great baseline move, and was a tremendous free-throw shooter.
4. Jamaal Tinsley
Exceptional talent as far as ball handling skills. He's also a great post-up player and can convert when driving down low. Big problems: leadership (I do not find him to have the leadership ability which means bringing teammates together on the same page so the offensive flow moves smoothly and each player knows their position on the court). His shooting percentage hasn't increased much while his free throw percentage is fairly low for a point guard. Since it's going to be difficult to trade him, I feel that they should try to move him in a little closer to the bucket and create a little more spacing from the wings--that's why Kareem Rush and Danny Granger will be very important along with Jermaine.
Big Impact Players next season:
Shawn Williams - he will be much improved and should get more playing time.
Kareem Rush - Should become a starter. Excited about his prospects and his maturity in the league.
Andre Owens - I believe he will get some minutes, but he is looking fairly good so far.
Overall, I feel that we are underrated as a team. I believe our biggest weakness is at point unless Jamaal Tinsley can find his way. I am also concerned with David Harrison's progress as he seems to make many silly fouls, however, he has great offensive talents. I was actually quite impressed with Mike Dunleavey's offensive skills and we could possibly move him to point if Jamaal gets injured because Dunleavy isn't a great defensive player and can size up well against most point guards (yes I'm crazy for saying this). Another potential X factor is Marquis Daniels and Ike Diogu which could become pivital players. Overall, if the pieces comes together, we could have a very good team as I see their ability and I also believe that our new coach may install a greater vision for our team than micro-manager Carlisle. Lastly, I do not want to critize Carlisle as he was a product of unfortunate events and inherited a ticking time bomb team what exploded during his tenure. I have great respect for how he was able to get us in the playoffs the past 2 times (last season we didn't make playoffs) and I feel that he should become a NBA coach again.
I am Dumb

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 12, 2007

Also, if we could crap down our leg, I would love to get Eric Gordon. He's hand down one of the greatest talents to hit the circuit and this next year, IU has a great chance for a championship with their overwhelming talent. If Gordon becomes the #1 pick in next year's NBA draft, we will have two #1 picks in Gordon and Oden and a #4 in Conley. That is an amazing stat and something to be quite excited about. In any case, I am a much bigger college fan than NBA because let's face it, the NBA games are sooooo BORING. I hope the league will eventually understand this problem. WE ARE BORED AT GAMES! I actually refuse to go to a Pacer's game because it's more fun to watch on TV. I say, we need to dim the fan lights, change the stupid music in between plays by their Dj-mixer, and lower the beer prices. Let's get the fans drunk and wake them up--but add some more cabs outside and make sure people get home safely.
Adam

Bloomington, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 12, 2007

fyou wrote:
one good move the pacers could make is move right out of town!
You'd really want them to move out after 2 incidents in 1 season (involving the same players- one of which who's gone now)? After everything they did for Indy during the last 20 years? That's worse than fairweather. That's idiotic. Here's a better idea.. you move out of Indy and let the rest of us support our team.
Yeah Right

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 12, 2007

I am Dumb wrote:
Also, if we could crap down our leg, I would love to get Eric Gordon. He's hand down one of the greatest talents to hit the circuit and this next year, IU has a great chance for a championship with their overwhelming talent. If Gordon becomes the #1 pick in next year's NBA draft, we will have two #1 picks in Gordon and Oden and a #4 in Conley.
I'm an IU alum and I'm very excited about Goron - but did you see the McDonalds All American game? He was pretty much a no show. I think he's going to bring a lot of excitment - but let's not get to far ahead of ourselves. If IU goes far in the tourney - it will be largely due to how DJ White plays. Anyway - I think we have a solid team for next year - I'm proud about IU basketball again.
I am Dumb

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 12, 2007

Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
You'd really want them to move out after 2 incidents in 1 season (involving the same players- one of which who's gone now)? After everything they did for Indy during the last 20 years? That's worse than fairweather. That's idiotic. Here's a better idea.. you move out of Indy and let the rest of us support our team.
Finally a voice of reason. So many people think they are experts about basketball probably don't know how to find Indiana on a map let alone find their way the bathroom without getting lost. Hindsight is 20/20 only after we go through situations that "we should have known" and besides I learned about my ignorance when I gave up on Rik Smits while the Pacers were developing him and he turned out to be a fine center. That's when I realized I didn't know much about the game and was open to consider all options before jumping ship. Now I understand the decisions the Pacers make and I am more in tune with how they make moves based upon salary & other constraints.
Mc NBDL

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 12, 2007

pUT DOWN DOWN THE AIRPLANE MODEL GLUE AND GET A CLUE. THE PACERS ARE GOING TO STINK IT UP AGAIN NEXT YEAR. JUST BECAUSE THEY HAVE A NEW COACH, DOESN'T GUARANTEE ANYTHING, ESPECIALLY WHEN THE NEW COACH IS JIM O'BRIEN, A RETREAD. TELL ME WHAT HE WAS ABLE TO ACCOMPLISH WITH THE CELTICS OR THE SIXERS? NOT MUCH.
THE PACERS NEED TO BE REINVENTED. IT HAS HAPPENEND ONCE BEFORE IN THEIR FRANCHISE LIFE WITH THE DRAFT OF REGGIE MILLER. THEY WERE ABLE TO BUILD AROUND HIM AND HAVE A 5-6-YEAR RUN IN THE PLAYOFFS.
IT'S TIME TO SELL THE FARM AND MOVE ON. THAT MEANS DUMPING O'NEAL, TINSLEY, AND ANYONE ELSE THAT MAY SOME VALUE TO OTHER TEAMS. I'D RATHER HAVE A YOUNG, SCRAPPY TEAM (CHICAGO BULLS-LIKE) INSTEAD OF A BUNCH OF OVERPAID PRETENDERS. BLOW THIS THING UP AND START ALL OVER.
LARRY BIRD AND DONNIE WALSH CAN LEAVE THE SCENE TOO. BRING IN A YOUNG GM WHO HAS A VISION AND LET HIM BUILD FROM BOTTOM UP.
ENOUCH IS ENOUGH. PUT A PRODUCT ON THE FLOOR THAT WE CAN RALLY AROUND AND THE FANS WILL COME BACK. STAY THE CURRENT COURSE AND THE PACERS WILL HAVE TO GIVE TICKETS AWAY.
death by taxes

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 12, 2007

Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
You think you will have the money left to buy tickets after you pay your vinal village tax increase?
Dungy ball

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 12, 2007

I'd like to see them make a move for Williams. I sounds like his agent is doing right by him and keeping the opportunities on the table.

From a P&L standpoint, why not pay a little into the luxery tax if you can offset your salaries and additional taxes with more revenue from ticket prices and concessions? That's assuming the people you go get that push you over the luxery tax put fans in the seats. I for one will pay to see these guys play especially if Williams is running the point (and d'ing up on the opponents PG).
U R Dumb

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 12, 2007

I am Dumb wrote:
Again, basketball fans do not understand business. Too bad management doesn't give Hoosiers a business 101 course to help them understand that all teams face similar issues. Very few teams in the NBA can establish a dynasty and usually it's one or two great players on a team and several role players that makes a team successful. In any regards, let's talk about the trades so that people have a better understanding of the desicions we face.
1. Ron Artest
Initially, I was thrilled to see him come here and I thought we got the best deal in regards to Chicago in the multi-player trade. We got rid of Jalen Rose and he was just horrible on defense and we picked up Brad Miller who we couldn't resign due to salary constraints.
2. Jonathon Bender
Probably the biggest reason why we were harmed--and I would say more than Ron Ron--because he was considered to be a great talent and by all reports, if he did not have the physical problems, we would have had a tremendous compliment to Jermaine O'Neal and possibly would not have resigned Jamaal Tinsley.
3. Austin Croshere - He was obviously signed for an exceptional contract and one of our biggests mistakes as like Jalen Rose, he could not defend well. Austin did bring hustle, great 3-point shooting, a great baseline move, and was a tremendous free-throw shooter.
4. Jamaal Tinsley
Exceptional talent as far as ball handling skills. He's also a great post-up player and can convert when driving down low. Big problems: leadership (I do not find him to have the leadership ability which means bringing teammates together on the same page so the offensive flow moves smoothly and each player knows their position on the court). His shooting percentage hasn't increased much while his free throw percentage is fairly low for a point guard. Since it's going to be difficult to trade him, I feel that they should try to move him in a little closer to the bucket and create a little more spacing from the wings--that's why Kareem Rush and Danny Granger will be very important along with Jermaine.
Yes, you do need basketball 101. You are saying things that lead the reader to believe that you actually think this team can turn the corner with the current collection of misfits.

Regarding dumb mgmt decisions, Austin Croshere's contract was THE dumbest move by management. Compounded by the fact that the dude had 1 year left on his dreadful contract last year AND THEY TRADE HIM AWAY! His salary cap number would be free this year to sign a free agent, but instead they have injury prone, strip club lover, Daniels.

Bender, well crap happens.

Losing Brad Miller to pay Jeff Foster. Dumb.

Giving up a #1 pick for Al Harrington. Dumb.

Picking up 2 long-term contracts in Dunleavy and Murphy, when you are tying to rebuild. DUMB.

Still believing that Tinsley is the point guard of the future. Priceless...I mean COME ON!!!! Cut the cord!!!

By the way, the Pacers have too many guaranteed contracts as of today. They have to unload players. Thus, they won't match Maceo Baston's contract offer to Toronto. SMART!
Colts What

Columbus, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 12, 2007

I know it's tough to be a Pacers fan at a time like this. Just 4 years ago we were competing for a championship, now we don't where we're going. I'm a big Pacer fan and always will be.

For all of you people bashing the Pacers, you must still like them, or else you wouldn't read the articles. You guys are what you call fair-weathered fans. If they somehow have a good year next year, all of you fair-weathered's will be on the bandwagon again.

We've been spoiled for the past twenty years. It's years like this past one that brings out the loyalty in the REAL fans!!
boat without a paddle

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 12, 2007

There are no options...period. JO, being the only tradeable player, has limited value based on his contract and the tread on his tires. Nobody needs anything else the Pacers have. This current period must rank right at the all-time lows in Pacer history.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of71
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Keith McLeod Discussions

Search the Keith McLeod Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Pacers' summer play impresses O'Brien (Jul '07) Jul '07 ARS 68
Let's get to the point (Jul '07) Jul '07 Harrison Freebird 2
What to expect (Apr '07) Apr '07 kravitz 2
5 injured players sit out Indiana finale (Apr '07) Apr '07 BC Realtor 3
Pacers' hopes gone; is O'Neal? (Apr '07) Apr '07 Troubled Pacer Fan 28
Pacers' ineptness continues (Apr '07) Apr '07 Whats the Point 3
Pacers win, gain ground on Orlando (Apr '07) Apr '07 Ben Dover 26
•••
•••