Pacers' summer play impresses O'Brien

Pacers' summer play impresses O'Brien

There are 68 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Jul 17, 2007, titled Pacers' summer play impresses O'Brien. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

Indiana Pacers coach Jim O'Brien left the Orlando summer league last week with a good feeling about the players he expects to be on the roster next season.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

Bob

Fort Wayne, IN

#21 Jul 18, 2007
Dumpster wrote:
Wonder if anyone in the hiring process investigated the new guys thuggery background? The Pacers don't need any more bad actors on or off the floor. Just because they are paid high salaries, that does not make them immune to rules, laws, and the expectations of ordinary society. Character and personal decency count!
Why don't we get 5 Fosters and 3 Dunleaveys, then you can rid yourself of what is truly your disdain for people who are not like you.

Let's face it, the NBA is a league for basketball and the league is not exempt or immune from behavioral matters. I agree with you regarding background checks. I also think you should consider that most managers spend a lot of time on human capital matters. Often times, employees improve their skills sets and appreciate; however, there are times when good skills are upstaged by bad behavior. I say, give them a "get well or get lost" plan.

Ultimately, no one can predict if an employee will turn out well or not. Do the check, set up a trusting environment, and provide good leadership and structure. If they foul out, so be it.

Lastly, I have asked it before and now ask it again - what is a "thug"?
iLLWiLL

Carmel, IN

#22 Jul 18, 2007
We only have 1 pg on our roster. Armstrong is not on the roster. Owens is a combo guard. Mcleod is a FA. Tinsley is the only pg signed. They didnt mention this in the article but I know that Eddie Gill is looking to get back into the NBA and im sure he would love to be here in Indy again.
Dumb Dave

Louisville, KY

#23 Jul 18, 2007
Bob wrote:
The market is tight! I am sure Larry-Legend will have some deal to spin; however, there is not much out there!
Francis for Tinsley?
bob francis is a free agent that wouldn't be a trade portland bought out his contract.
GO PACERS

United States

#24 Jul 18, 2007
Please put the crack pipe down all you people who think Pargo is better than tinsley....francis is better than tinsley....Brevin Knight has never played a full season.

Boykins maybe a good backup. I thought there was talk about Daniels playing some point.

Tinsley
Rush
Granger
JO
Diogu

You have decent players in Dunleavy, Shawne williams, Daniels, & Murphy coming off the bench.

That is not a bad lineup. In the east that could be a 4-5 seed. If nothing else they at least have some good depth.

But please stop with the replacing Tinsley with Jannero pargo talk. I know people dont like Tins, but how is replacing him with a half as talented player going to help us? it wont.
bent20

Davenport, IA

#25 Jul 18, 2007
Before they know it the season will be here and the only significant change will be a new head coach, which likely isn't going to make enough of a difference.
Double J

Madison, WI

#26 Jul 18, 2007
I did not say replace Tinsley with Pargo. The fact is out of the PG's listed in the article of Pargo, Boykins, Brevin Knight. I feel Pargo is the best; he it taller than 5'10, & can score the ball. Pargo is Backup; not a replacement. With Tinsley's health history we need backup PG's. Bring Back Beetlejuice aka Anthony Johnson. He does look like beetlejuice from the Howard Stern Whack Pack!!!!!!
You are an idiot

South Bend, IN

#27 Jul 18, 2007
Tensely Out wrote:
my favorite tensely antic has to be him pouting at bad calls at the end of a game and then either throwing the ball away or making stupid fouls while he throws the game away.
What a leader.
First off, it is Tinsley you idiot. How you could ever misspell a name so badly, I will never understand. It isn't like you didn't just read his name in an article. The Pacers DON'T need to get rid of Tensely or Tinsley, this is going to be their year, although they played better last year than anyone on this dumb message board will admit.
ANDERSON

Pitsburg, OH

#28 Jul 18, 2007
GIVE STEVIE FRANCHISE A BREAK. HE HAS BEEN INJURED. A FULL SEASON WITH THE PACERS COULD REVIVE HIS CAREER, OR REVIVE THE PACERS!!! THEY COULD USE SOMETHING BESIDES ALWAYS PUTTING THE BLAME ON EVERYONE BUT THE STINGY OWNERS.
ANDERSON

Pitsburg, OH

#29 Jul 18, 2007
INDIANA SHOULD HAVE GOT KOBE TO COME. THEY NEED ALL THE HELP THEY CAN GET. OUT OF THE PLAYOFF'S IN 07-08. GUARANTEED!!!!!!! WITH KOBE, POSSIBLE EAST CONF. FINALS!!!!
Dont be dumb Dave

South Bend, IN

#30 Jul 18, 2007
Dumb Dave wrote:
I love how the pacers keep talking about improving the team through trades and free agents and we havent done a freaking thing yet we signed a shooting guard that was cut by the bobcats and then no one wanted him granted he did well in summer league but thats not the big show. Then possible two others a local boy and oanother kid in his brothers shadow. Do something there have been players on the market that would help the team and we've sat back we always do that i wish polian were in charge of the pacers
Why overreact this early into the off-season? The majority of big summer moves made by Donnie Walsh and the Pacers in the past have come in August. Yes, other teams have made signings and the pickins are gettin' slim. But in my opinion, almost every free agent signing has been a severe overpay. Fans here are already complaining about players on our roster making way too much money and we just don't have room for another big contract. Not to mention the fact that we didn't have the cap space. Grabbing Rush (who is a talented NBA caliber player) for next to nothing was a brilliant move. It may not pan out, but it certainly seems like he is hungrier and a perfect fit in this offense. The guy can shoot.
U go

Indianapolis, IN

#31 Jul 18, 2007
ANDERSON wrote:
GIVE STEVIE FRANCHISE A BREAK. HE HAS BEEN INJURED. A FULL SEASON WITH THE PACERS COULD REVIVE HIS CAREER, OR REVIVE THE PACERS!!! THEY COULD USE SOMETHING BESIDES ALWAYS PUTTING THE BLAME ON EVERYONE BUT THE STINGY OWNERS.
Why not sell the Pacers and take the money to pay the property taxes???
This guy is dumb

South Bend, IN

#32 Jul 18, 2007
Hoosier Sammy wrote:
"Starter Jamaal Tinsley is the only true point guard on the roster."
Tinsley is not a true point gaurd unless you consider no defense, poor decisionmaking, turn over prone and thug mentality true point gaurd skills.
We are in bigger trouble now then we were before O'Brien is nothing more than a Larry Loser puppet. He obviously cannot think for himself or is so affraid he'll lose the job with the only team in the NBA that would hire him he will only say what Larry Loser tells him to say.
The leadership of this franchise has lied to this fan base for the last 3 years. Wake-up Pacer fans.
Boycott Simon Malls and retail outlets it is our only hope for real change.
This just in, Jamaal was the only true point guard on our roster last year. Darrell was great last year, don't get me wrong, but he is an energy guy first and foremost and a decent point guard second. And I know what you're thinking, "oh no, then it's gonna be the same as last year". No, it's not. Tinsley was NOT the problem last year. He clearly has never been comfortable in Carlisle's offense (or lack their of). He has made due however and actually put together a pretty decent season, despite the fact that he was the point guard trying to get assists on the worst shooting team in basketball. With O'Brien in charge, we are in MUCH better shape. He brings team defense to a team with only a handful of good individual defenders and he brings a wide open system to a point guard that can play up-tempo and find people better than any point guard this side of Steve Nash.

O'Brien isn't "afffraid" he'll lose his job, sometimes people genuinely understand one another, and Larry and Jim just have a similar basketball outlook. Yea, I know Rick Carlisle and Bird are like best friends, but clearly they couldn't agree from a basketball standpoint in regards to THIS roster. Carlisle is a good coach for a big, physically superior, defensive team like we had with Artest. But this team needed a coach like O'Brien. They need that offensive freedom. Please, just let this play out before we go boycotting Simon Malls.

Good luck with that by the way.
ehonda_03

West Lafayette, IN

#33 Jul 18, 2007
If we wanted a point guard we should have used O'Neal and traded up to get Mike Conley. I sense another poor to mediocre season approaching if we don't do something fast.
Trying to hang in there

Florence, KY

#34 Jul 18, 2007
Do not bring in Brevin Knight. Of the PGs listed throughout this thread, Boykins is the only one the Pacers should look at. I'm a Pacer fan and have been since I can remember. If they go into this season without making a significant move, I will be very disappointed. I have always tried to be optimistic, but will find that difficult this year. Thank you, Larry.
Tito Jackson

United States

#35 Jul 18, 2007
BLAH, BLAH, BLAH We pacers fans have heard this nonsense before. We are tired of Larry Loser and his many blunders. Hello coach this is only SUMMER PLAY.

P.S. I AM THE MOST TALENTED OF THE jACKSONS.
SJP

United States

#36 Jul 18, 2007
I agree with your comments. If everyone thinks Tinsley is a bum, jerk, or whatever -- great, and I hope you have looked yourself in the mirror too. But, there is no question that he is a good basketball player and far better than these other FA PGs mentioned.

I still wouldn't be surprised if Tins gets run out of town for somebody that sat beside us at Church last Sunday. That is the mentality that got us Dunleavey, Peja, and Troy Murphy and their bloated contracts.

I would be very surprised if the Pacers make the playoffs with this roster -- even in the watered-down East.

And, I don't feel these critical comments make me any less of a fan. I want the best players we can get on the court.
GO PACERS wrote:
Please put the crack pipe down all you people who think Pargo is better than tinsley....francis is better than tinsley....Brevin Knight has never played a full season.
Boykins maybe a good backup. I thought there was talk about Daniels playing some point.
Tinsley
Rush
Granger
JO
Diogu
You have decent players in Dunleavy, Shawne williams, Daniels, & Murphy coming off the bench.
That is not a bad lineup. In the east that could be a 4-5 seed. If nothing else they at least have some good depth.
But please stop with the replacing Tinsley with Jannero pargo talk. I know people dont like Tins, but how is replacing him with a half as talented player going to help us? it wont.
wtfe

Frankfort, IN

#37 Jul 18, 2007
if he is impressed now we' re in trouble. like most players, they only want to put forth and effort now and make a good impression then lack the effort throughout the season. tinsely is the only "true" point guard on the roster? lmfao.
Dumb Dave

Louisville, KY

#38 Jul 18, 2007
Tinsley is a good player but after years of injuries and off the court happenings we should trade him while we can still get somethign for him. Our team looks like an expansion team plus JO who has been on the decline and injury prone too. The lack of free agents isn't helping our cause. I don't know what the organization is doing now it baffles me. We look like idiots and we used to be so promising. Its amazing I have been a pacer fan for 23 yrs and this si the first time im just frustrated with it and almost embarassed make a trade any trade i dont care at this point we sitting around with our thumbs up ourselves while the rest of the league is changing. its stupid
Glenn

Austin, TX

#39 Jul 18, 2007
I think O'Brien is correct, from what I see, the team looks like they will be much better than the last few years, of course it is not too difficult to improve where the team has been especially since the brawl.. Go PACERS!!
What Team

Madison Heights, MI

#40 Jul 18, 2007
Dumb Dave said it best. "Our team looks like an expansion team"
Nuff Said

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Keith McLeod Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Pacers take another look at options (Jul '07) Jul '07 SouthsideFanScott 71
News Let's get to the point (Jul '07) Jul '07 Harrison Freebird 2
News What to expect (Apr '07) Apr '07 kravitz 2
News 5 injured players sit out Indiana finale (Apr '07) Apr '07 BC Realtor 3
News Pacers' hopes gone; is O'Neal? (Apr '07) Apr '07 Troubled Pacer Fan 28
News Pacers' ineptness continues (Apr '07) Apr '07 Whats the Point 3
News Pacers win, gain ground on Orlando (Apr '07) Apr '07 Ben Dover 26
More from around the web