James Day on the NBA: Is Nowitzki a top 10 player in league history?

May 20, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Statesman Journal

There's been an outbreak of Dirk-love throughout the NBA community. All of a sudden he is appreciated.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 11 of11
Jason Thomas

Jacksonville, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 31, 2011

Judged:

This is an unbelievable statement for anyone to make. Dirk...maybe....a big maybe...is a top 20 player....I can name 20 players in the last 20 years that I would much rather have than Dirk....and half of those are currently in the league.....gimme a break.....a great series and now he's an all time top 10 player? Two months ago he would be lucky to crack the top 35....ridiculous! Great shooter but will NEVER win a title! It's unbelievable how quickly people forget the real legends of the game!
Ginobili

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2011

Dirk is definitely a top 20 player of all time. his career is still not over yet.
Water Boy

Kennewick, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2011

Jason Thomas wrote:
This is an unbelievable statement for anyone to make. Dirk...maybe....a big maybe...is a top 20 player....I can name 20 players in the last 20 years that I would much rather have than Dirk....and half of those are currently in the league.....gimme a break.....a great series and now he's an all time top 10 player? Two months ago he would be lucky to crack the top 35....ridiculous! Great shooter but will NEVER win a title! It's unbelievable how quickly people forget the real legends of the game!
C'mon, you know how the media is, Dirk, Kobe, Lebron or whomever does great through a stretch, all of a sudden, out come the MJ comparisons and they move further up the rank list.

They have a bad game and out come the comments of: " No way this guy is like MJ, I put him in the top 20 maybe..." LOL

Although to Dirk's credit, he has played exceptionally well and effeciently and this is well into his career where most are on the downside as as coach Ginobili up there said, his career is not over yet.

Since: Apr 07

Daytona Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2011

This is what Dirk Nowitzki is: The best European player to play in the world's greatest league.

I can put at LEAST seven power forwards ahead of him:

Tim Duncan
Charles Barkley
Kevin McHale
James Worthy
Karl Malone

In Duncan, McHale and Worthy you have about a dozen NBA championships. In Barkley and Malone you have league MVP's with Olympic Gold Medals.

If Dirk does not get a ring this year, he cannot be counted on to compare with any of these guys, because he will never win an Olympic Gold Medal before his career is over.

He may be one of the best ten players on the planet right now, but ten best of all-time?

SMH No.
Water Boy

Kennewick, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2011

Judged:

MarkL5 wrote:
This is what Dirk Nowitzki is: The best European player to play in the world's greatest league.
I can put at LEAST seven power forwards ahead of him:
Tim Duncan
Charles Barkley
Kevin McHale
James Worthy
Karl Malone
In Duncan, McHale and Worthy you have about a dozen NBA championships. In Barkley and Malone you have league MVP's with Olympic Gold Medals.
If Dirk does not get a ring this year, he cannot be counted on to compare with any of these guys, because he will never win an Olympic Gold Medal before his career is over.
He may be one of the best ten players on the planet right now, but ten best of all-time?
SMH No.
Obviously not in terms of career accomplishment but, in terms of physical talent, Dirk is up there.

No way in the pit of Haydes do I have Barkley over Dirk though...Dirk is a leader, one who led his team twice now to the finals. Barkley, while he had his time as a good player, never was a leader and never came close to possessing the overall skill that Dirk has today.

Take out Barkley from the Olympic equation and insert Dirk and you think Dirk comes home with Bronze?

FAT chance, emphasis on FAT. ;)
Zay

Marlboro, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2011

Jason Thomas wrote:
Dirk Won a title He proved ppl like you wrong and he validated his mark in the NBA he is the best shooting 7 footer Ever, He is the Best European Player everr and he is Arguably the Best Power Forward in the leauge today... I would Put Him in My Top 10

Daytona Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2011

Judged:

Water Boy wrote:
<quoted text>
Obviously not in terms of career accomplishment but, in terms of physical talent, Dirk is up there.
No way in the pit of Haydes do I have Barkley over Dirk though...Dirk is a leader, one who led his team twice now to the finals. Barkley, while he had his time as a good player, never was a leader and never came close to possessing the overall skill that Dirk has today.
Take out Barkley from the Olympic equation and insert Dirk and you think Dirk comes home with Bronze?
FAT chance, emphasis on FAT. ;)
Charles Barkley is 6ft, 4in tall.

Let's put that in perspective... Dirk Nowitzki is over a HALF FOOT taller than Barkley and his rebound total is nowhere near as good, nor is his totals for blocks and steals.

Forget Dirk. Barkley is one of the most dominant inside players in history and there are point guards in the league when he played that were taller.

In Barkley you have a guy who was not tall enough to be considered power forward who played CENTER at Auburn University. A man who played head up against Melvin Turpin at the University of Kentucky and rutinely handed him his head. Turpin was a legit seven-footer!

Dirk's "dominance" can be directly attributed to the fact that he is a seven-footer that does not have to play center. The guys who guard him are 6'7 thru 6'9. Barkley was a 6'4 power-forward being guarded by guys DIRK'S HEIGHT and lower and he still dominated, to the point where he became a league MVP.

No player in the history of the NBA got more out of less at the position than Charles Barkley. The man was an absolute beast before the term was was adopted in the league. Barkley was the prototypical beast, at a time when there were more talented players at the position in the league, like Malone, Oakley and Kemp.

Dirk does not come close. Let him make the Hall of Fame first before you put him ahead of Barkley.

“500Lb Bench Press Club!”

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2011

Judged:

MarkL5 wrote:
<quoted text>
Charles Barkley is 6ft, 4in tall.
Let's put that in perspective... Dirk Nowitzki is over a HALF FOOT taller than Barkley and his rebound total is nowhere near as good, nor is his totals for blocks and steals.
Forget Dirk. Barkley is one of the most dominant inside players in history and there are point guards in the league when he played that were taller.
In Barkley you have a guy who was not tall enough to be considered power forward who played CENTER at Auburn University. A man who played head up against Melvin Turpin at the University of Kentucky and rutinely handed him his head. Turpin was a legit seven-footer!
Dirk's "dominance" can be directly attributed to the fact that he is a seven-footer that does not have to play center. The guys who guard him are 6'7 thru 6'9. Barkley was a 6'4 power-forward being guarded by guys DIRK'S HEIGHT and lower and he still dominated, to the point where he became a league MVP.
No player in the history of the NBA got more out of less at the position than Charles Barkley. The man was an absolute beast before the term was was adopted in the league. Barkley was the prototypical beast, at a time when there were more talented players at the position in the league, like Malone, Oakley and Kemp.
Dirk does not come close. Let him make the Hall of Fame first before you put him ahead of Barkley.
What? Let him make the hall of fame first????
The hall of fame is overrated guy! RINGS, CHAMPIONSHIP rings is what matters and Dirk led them there and he was the finals MVP. You remember what Jordan said about Barkley not having a ring right? Barkley was just a power horse in his hey day, he was good but not to where youre elevating him. Ill give you a better inside game but the rest, Dirk has him squashed, come on Mark LV, youre better than that!

“500Lb Bench Press Club!”

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2011

Judged:

You think any player who didnt win a ring but entered the HOF WOULDNT trade that spot for a ring?

you trippin hardcore if you do!

“Everyone needs a hero.I'm mine”

Since: Dec 07

Gibson City, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2011

Judged:

I got to agree with bigdaddymike and Water Boy. Barkley also left 2 teams in search of a ring he never won. Dirk stayed, improved and was clutch ALL 2011 playoffs. Barkley also said Lebron was a punk for leaving Cleveland BUT Charles left Phoneix to go to Houston, a 2 time champion, with better players. Same effin' thing. As far as a around game compared to Dirk's, Charles is turrible.

Daytona Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2011

Judged:

Bigdaddymike wrote:
<quoted text>
What? Let him make the hall of fame first????
The hall of fame is overrated guy! RINGS, CHAMPIONSHIP rings is what matters and Dirk led them there and he was the finals MVP. You remember what Jordan said about Barkley not having a ring right? Barkley was just a power horse in his hey day, he was good but not to where youre elevating him. Ill give you a better inside game but the rest, Dirk has him squashed, come on Mark LV, youre better than that!
Alot of what you accomplish in your career is based on the players that surround you. One thing to Charles' credit, he has never complained about the lack of talent he played with. He has ALWAYS credited the great players he played against like McHale and Jordan.

He makes no excuses and to me, that shows just how great a player he really was.

I'll hand it to Dirk, he too is a classy guy, but he is no Charles Barkley.

Let's just agree to disagree.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 11 of11
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Karl Malone Discussions

Search the Karl Malone Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Rodman: Going back to N. Korea with former NBA ... (Sep '13) Sep '13 Dennis the Horses Rosette 1
Who is better, Kobe or LeBron? (Mar '09) Aug '13 Poppy 2,095
Are the Los Angeles Lakers Better Than the Miam... (Oct '12) Dec '12 Sam 40
NBA lockout: How will work stoppage affect Kobe... (Jul '11) Sep '11 Sammy 4
Michael Jordan: Could He Score 100 in Today's G... (Oct '10) Feb '11 Jerry 2
Ted Green: How does Kobe Bryant rank among NBA ... (Jun '09) Jul '10 jonny 8
James-Wade-Bosh: Why This NBA Superteam Would Fail (Jul '10) Jul '10 Bishop 1
•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••