Memories of Fab 5 still bittersweet

Memories of Fab 5 still bittersweet

There are 11 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Feb 12, 2007, titled Memories of Fab 5 still bittersweet. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

The Fab Five's tangible accomplishments are rolled up, wrapped in plastic and tucked away in the basement of the University of Michigan's Bentley Historical Library.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

cheaters

Indianapolis, IN

#2 Feb 12, 2007
WTF? They don't understand why they "can't be embraced"? That's what you get when you CHEAT! I don't care if you are only a high-school teenager, you know you aren't supposed to take money and since you did you are CHEATERS, and whatever was accomplished doesn't matter! CHEATERS never prosper, every heard of that one?
individual

San Jose, CA

#3 Feb 12, 2007
Quite ironic that "stuff" from Fab Five's days are placed in a library. Doubt if any of these thickheaded thicklipped thugs ever passed through the library's doors so this is a first.
cooper

Indianapolis, IN

#4 Feb 12, 2007
Booo Hooo
they get what they deserve.
go get some more tattoos and attitude. the original thugs!!
Cary Hanni

Jeffersonville, IN

#5 Feb 12, 2007
I am sick about hearing about the Fab Five. They are more of a legend in their own eyes than they are anyone else's.

They accomplished nothing that sport or any other legends are measured by. They never even won a Big Ten basketball championship.

I am afraid, in the end, these talented indiviuals will end up in obscurity because they really did nothing special.
Play Hard

Fort Thomas, KY

#6 Feb 12, 2007
A bunch of whining cheats.
Brandon

Alexandria, IN

#7 Feb 12, 2007
individual wrote:
Quite ironic that "stuff" from Fab Five's days are placed in a library. Doubt if any of these thickheaded thicklipped thugs ever passed through the library's doors so this is a first.
Wow. I guess I shouldn't be surprised at all the venom spouted on here as it's pretty consistent. A lot of this is borderline racism though. Sure Webber violated the rules but the others did nothing wrong and contribute to society and they still get called thugs. Geez.
Being an IU fan I hated the Fab Fibe. Being a basketball fan, they were transfixing and they did accomplish quite a bit. How many teams have made the final game in consecutive years? How many teams changed the style of basketball. I'll always remember what competitors they were and am thankful that nut-hugger shorts are way out of style now.
jealous IU fans

United States

#9 Feb 12, 2007
Dont be a hater IU fans. Those fab 5 teams were better then IU lineup since 1987. They were all ballers and all americans, thats why they got recruited. Who cares if they took cash, they were there to play ball and get drafted in the NBA later on. That was a fun team to watch and you wont ever see another team starting 5 freshmen make it to the title game. The fab 5 and the crooked teams at UNLV are my all time favorite teams, they were there to play ball and except some cash, who cares, they didnt hurt anyone.

“USA”

Since: Jan 07

USA

#8 Feb 12, 2007
Brandon wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow. I guess I shouldn't be surprised at all the venom spouted on here as it's pretty consistent. A lot of this is borderline racism though. Sure Webber violated the rules but the others did nothing wrong and contribute to society and they still get called thugs. Geez.
Being an IU fan I hated the Fab Fibe. Being a basketball fan, they were transfixing and they did accomplish quite a bit. How many teams have made the final game in consecutive years? How many teams changed the style of basketball. I'll always remember what competitors they were and am thankful that nut-hugger shorts are way out of style now.
I'm embarrassed that an IU fan could even write that. They can't hide behind the ol race card on this one since none of them ever did anything to help racial feelings at the time. Their trash talking and general ghetto dress and behavior set race relations back 10 years.

They threw it in people's faces that they were cheaters and nobody was going to do anything about it beacuse they were black. They drove to practice (not class) in caddy's and big trucks that were given to them to play ball and made no attempt to hide it.

The real losers were the hundreds of kids who did it right at the other Big 10 schools as well as schools around the country, but, couldn't beat the cheaters to have a chance to meet their goals.

Be honest, most people cheered each year the flop 5 choked and got beat in the tournament.
Brandon

Alexandria, IN

#10 Feb 12, 2007
Larry W wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm embarrassed that an IU fan could even write that. They can't hide behind the ol race card on this one since none of them ever did anything to help racial feelings at the time. Their trash talking and general ghetto dress and behavior set race relations back 10 years.
They threw it in people's faces that they were cheaters and nobody was going to do anything about it beacuse they were black. They drove to practice (not class) in caddy's and big trucks that were given to them to play ball and made no attempt to hide it.
The real losers were the hundreds of kids who did it right at the other Big 10 schools as well as schools around the country, but, couldn't beat the cheaters to have a chance to meet their goals.
Be honest, most people cheered each year the flop 5 choked and got beat in the tournament.
They didn't say anything about race - I did, and I was only referring to the bigoted posts on this page.
Sure Chris Webber was cheating but to call all of those guys thugs and fat lips or whatever is way off target. Jalen Rose has done tons of work in the different NBA cities he's been in and it sounds as if the other guys are stand up men as well. If you can take an an unbiased look at the history of college basketball they are, without a doubt, one of the most influential teams of all time and it is a shame that UM doesn't recognize the guys that didn't cheat.
Darren Dunlap

United States

#11 Feb 16, 2007
Fab 5 forever!!! They can never erase the contributions the 5 made to not only "The Game"but to the "Hip Hop" culture as a whole. The swagger the attitude,the confidence,never before seen. Don't let me have to mention the style factor. The baggy shorts,the black socks,since when has it been cool to rock yellow jerseys with matching yellow game shorts. Please understand the university is still making plenty of loot of of the 5's accomplishments. They can take all the banners down, erase the wins, they can do whatever they want. We true "ballin" fans will never forget.

“USA”

Since: Jan 07

USA

#12 Feb 16, 2007
Darren Dunlap wrote:
Fab 5 forever!!! They can never erase the contributions the 5 made to not only "The Game"but to the "Hip Hop" culture as a whole. The swagger the attitude,the confidence,never before seen. Don't let me have to mention the style factor. The baggy shorts,the black socks,since when has it been cool to rock yellow jerseys with matching yellow game shorts. Please understand the university is still making plenty of loot of of the 5's accomplishments. They can take all the banners down, erase the wins, they can do whatever they want. We true "ballin" fans will never forget.
And that is the problem. Not even the NCAA can erase the negative "contributions" that these cheaters have done to college basketball. The "flop 5" always choked in the tournament and choked in the pros as well. We can only hope that there won't be enough idiots like you that will try and enshrine them anywhere except the hall of shame that they are already charter members within the ncaa and at mich.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Juwan Howard Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Allen now 1 round away from a Miami ring (Jun '13) Jun '13 Jp Greener Tucson... 1
News Heat head to Indy for Game 6, looking for clincher (May '13) Jun '13 Ginobili 4
News New Heat style wouldn't shock Wade (Aug '12) Aug '12 Ginobili 1
News Chalmers, cramping and close-outs ... it's NBA ... (Jun '12) Jun '12 Go Blue 9
Juwan Howard nude (Nov '11) Nov '11 Gerda 1
News Juwan Howard Jr. moves from WMU to Detroit Mercy (Oct '11) Oct '11 I hate Terre Haute 1
News Charley Walters: Coach Leslie Frazier admits Vi... (Apr '11) Apr '11 ffrank 68
More from around the web