Lots of restrictions on Bulls' free-a...

Lots of restrictions on Bulls' free-agent plans

There are 30 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Jul 16, 2008, titled Lots of restrictions on Bulls' free-agent plans. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

More than two weeks have passed since NBA free agency began. Do you know where your 2008-09 Bulls roster is? General manager John Paxson has stated publicly that no moves can be made until the organization has ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Now Wait a Minute

Chicago, IL

#1 Jul 16, 2008
Well, I disagree about your assessment of Gordon. I think he is a major reason they tanked last year. Selfnishness breeds contempt. He used to be able to make his own shots. Last year he was afraid to go down and dirty because he didn't want to have an injury that hurts his contract leverage.
Big Deal- he already earned a few million since getting out of college. All these stinkers need to get a dose of reality and stop putting them on a pedestal.
Wardell

Chicago, IL

#2 Jul 16, 2008
When player play like Independent Contractor, Independent Contract suffers. (That goes for both of them.)
adam

United States

#3 Jul 16, 2008
deng and gordon are worth about 30 bucks on a good night. The only reason I say thirty bucks is because I would only be willing to spend 30 bucks a night on gas to drive to the United Center and play better defense than those two Pu*sy's
Larry

AOL

#4 Jul 16, 2008
The Bulls are a mess!! If the Bulls cannot sign Gordon then package him with Thomas or Noah and trade him. This is crazy!! Marcus camby would have been a great fit here for the Bulls but Paxson is sitting on his hands concern about two guys in Gordon and Deng who in my opinion quit on the team last year.
No sign and trade

Chicago, IL

#5 Jul 17, 2008
Larry... There's no sign and trade in the NBA like there is in the MLB. Waddle and Silvie verified that during their show a few months back.

But this lack of moves is getting frustrating. I believe this is not the same as what Ken Williams did when he missed Tori Hunter, etc. al. Time is ticking Pax.
NMFTL

United States

#6 Jul 17, 2008
I know a lot of people in Chicago don't like this guy because of his time in Miami, but James Posey would have been a nice pickup. He plays good defense, can shoot the 3, and does a lot of the little stuff that Deng should be doing. If Pax had not been wasting time with these 2 numbnuts, he could have made an attempt. He might not have taken it, but not a lot of people thought he would leave the Celts to begin with.
jim

Japan

#7 Jul 17, 2008
Well said everyone above.
And one more thing, besides the "B" and the "DN" word, I can't recall a time when a love for a Chicago team plummeted as much as the Bulls team in such a short span. The excitement of Nochioni, Deng (hustling , rebounding and scoring), Gordon, scoring on those incredible finger rolls and outside shooting, a pre 50M Heinrich, and an improving TC. How young athletes just fall apart due to rumors, "not enough" money, or whatever is really a tragedy. Draft pick after draft pick has not been brought to fruition. Who's fault is that?!
We've had enough chances for a decade to acquire great players. Who is scouting for the Bulls, and why isn't the decision making process keener? Its easy playing Monday QB, but how about forming a round-robin GM or round robin something. Seeing this bleeding go on for the .....year in a row is embarrassing. Chicago is a hoops town as much as a football or baseball town.
Not So Fast Pax

San Angelo, TX

#8 Jul 17, 2008
adam wrote:
deng and gordon are worth about 30 bucks on a good night. The only reason I say thirty bucks is because I would only be willing to spend 30 bucks a night on gas to drive to the United Center and play better defense than those two Pu*sy's
Well said....and one more item... "Bulls Suck".
Fire Pax

Schaumburg, IL

#9 Jul 17, 2008
adam wrote:
deng and gordon are worth about 30 bucks on a good night. The only reason I say thirty bucks is because I would only be willing to spend 30 bucks a night on gas to drive to the United Center and play better defense than those two Pu*sy's
LOL!

Yeah KC imagine the gaint crevice in the lineup after trading kirk for a quality front court player?!?!?! Letting that little Cancer (No D Gordon) walk wouldn't be the worse thing that happen to this team. Gordon Sucks when was the last time he hit a game winning shot? He takes them all the time but I can't remember the last time he made one! I can remember him costing us many games by his complete incompetence on Defense.

Paxson better get of his @ss and get atleast one solid starter!
BullySixChicago

United States

#10 Jul 17, 2008
Larry wrote:
The Bulls are a mess!! If the Bulls cannot sign Gordon then package him with Thomas or Noah and trade him. This is crazy!! Marcus camby would have been a great fit here for the Bulls but Paxson is sitting on his hands concern about two guys in Gordon and Deng who in my opinion quit on the team last year.
did you want the Bulls to take on 20 mil in salary cap? As for quitting on the team that is a real hard thing to believe, but having a bad year and playing selfish those two things I saw most and it was not just them I saw it in several of them with the change in coaches I know they did not have any respect for the replacement coach they knew he had no power to do anything. Right now I think the Bulls have the upper hand, no team has offer them a dime that should tell them something
Wisconsin Reader

Galesburg, IL

#11 Jul 17, 2008
Sign Josh Smith . . . Not Deng or Gordon.
ike

Greenwood, IN

#12 Jul 17, 2008
whats wrong with being left with thabo, hughs and rose, its a whole lot better than being left with hinrich and gordon with rose. while pax sits on his fany and do nothing other teams in the east are getting better, if pax dont move some of these worthless players before training camp, we are in for a very long season and will be looking at the lottery again with a shot at another number one pick.
TOM SLICK

Chicago, IL

#13 Jul 17, 2008
They turned down 50M last year and both had a terrible season. I don't see how they think they're going to get more this year. Offer less pax. No one is breaking down the door trying to get them. Trade Gordon and Kirk because the swiss kid should be playing point guard, and hughes would be the two. I forgot, they didn't draft Beasley the Beast.
ike

Greenwood, IN

#14 Jul 17, 2008
Larry wrote:
The Bulls are a mess!! If the Bulls cannot sign Gordon then package him with Thomas or Noah and trade him. This is crazy!! Marcus camby would have been a great fit here for the Bulls but Paxson is sitting on his hands concern about two guys in Gordon and Deng who in my opinion quit on the team last year.
i agree with you here, that is why i was against pax arrogant azz as the bulls gm, i use to listen to him on the radio pretend like he knew what direction they should go in, the only good signing he has made since he has been gm is joe smith which was a no brainer. he gave tyson chandler away fro vertually nothing, he signed a malcontent like ben "i used to be good when i was a piston" wallace which was his biggest mistake, he hasnt made a move worried about deng and gordon who if he had traded last season we could have had kobe. no wonder reinsdork, yes i said reinsdork has been meddling in personal affairs.
Jonathan

Cincinnati, OH

#15 Jul 17, 2008
ike wrote:
<quoted text>
i agree with you here, that is why i was against pax arrogant azz as the bulls gm, i use to listen to him on the radio pretend like he knew what direction they should go in, the only good signing he has made since he has been gm is joe smith which was a no brainer. he gave tyson chandler away fro vertually nothing, he signed a malcontent like ben "i used to be good when i was a piston" wallace which was his biggest mistake, he hasnt made a move worried about deng and gordon who if he had traded last season we could have had kobe. no wonder reinsdork, yes i said reinsdork has been meddling in personal affairs.
Thabo, "the swiss kid" does not have point guard ability. He doesn't have great passing ability nor a feel for the game like typical point guards do. He's well sutited to play the 2 spot. He's a big guard with long arms who can play great defense. His offense will come. I look for him to have a breakout year this year as long as they can figure out their log jam at the guard spot.
mike chicago

United States

#16 Jul 17, 2008
Gordon and Deng are both greedy, that's all. Paxson offered them enough and should now lowball them to like 30 or 40 million each.
Rudy

Zamora, Mexico

#17 Jul 17, 2008
First, the real problem is Reinsdorf, not Pax. I think Pax would do a lot of stuff different if he was allowed to do it. Who's doing the negotiating with Deng? Pax? no. Reinsdorf. Why? Because he's a control freak that doesn't care about basketball anyway (think "one world series is worth more that 6 NBA champs" etc.) The bulls don't have a real standout coach because of Reinsdorf, not Pax (and I like the Vinny decision, I think it will pan out). The Bulls haven't moved because of Reinsdorf, not Pax. This is a joke. Reinsdorf has the perfect scapegoat! We don't need Gordon, but who wants to let him go without getting anything in return. At least you want a pick or two out of him!! And Deng is still valuable! Come on, he's an up and coming talent if he can keep his head on his shoulders. Hinrich can definitely play the 2 and I think he can do it at least as well as Gordon. Plus, you never want your back-up PG to be JamesOn Curry!! So for me, the odd man out is obviously Gordon. So lets sign Deng, sign and trade gordon and stop blaming Pax for Jerry's idiocy!
mike chicago

United States

#18 Jul 17, 2008
I agree, Reinsdorf tries to butt into everything and Paxson's hands are tied; if Paxson made a decision that Jerry didn't like, guess what his ass would be on the street looking for a job; that's why paxson sits quiet collects his check and does whatever jerry (greedy) reinsdorf tells him to do.
Fire Pax

Schaumburg, IL

#19 Jul 17, 2008
ike wrote:
<quoted text>
i agree with you here, that is why i was against pax arrogant azz as the bulls gm, i use to listen to him on the radio pretend like he knew what direction they should go in, the only good signing he has made since he has been gm is joe smith which was a no brainer. he gave tyson chandler away fro vertually nothing, he signed a malcontent like ben "i used to be good when i was a piston" wallace which was his biggest mistake, he hasnt made a move worried about deng and gordon who if he had traded last season we could have had kobe. no wonder reinsdork, yes i said reinsdork has been meddling in personal affairs.
Agree 100%! To all you fools who think Riensdoof is at falt for all this let me tell you this. It was Paxson who traded Chandler and left the team with no seven footer. It was Paxson who traded Eddy Curry for who oh yeah Tim Thomas only to hold him away from the team for half a season why? Cause he is a bad influence and that kinda player could lead to players acting out against their coaches and not playing team ball. Same deal with JR Smith.

You do realize his EGO was way too big to trade any of his players last year because he drafted them so that means they are all future allstars. It is funny to think that the one thing he feared most and acted like an amature in treated Tim Thomas like a cancer only to have his team make headlines everywhere for being a bunch of malcontents! The idiot can't even do one thing right.

It's time to get rid of Paxson and his gaint EGO and get a GM that can actually identify talent and perhaps have a clue of what a "team" looks like. Stand Pax is incompentant and I think old Jerry is finally starting to realize it. Wouldn't you start to micro manage if someone is single handedly turning your team into the laughingstock of the league???

Unless a very good player is brought in this season has TRAIN WRECK written all over it! Just hope its finally the end of Paxson!
laka laka

Mount Prospect, IL

#20 Jul 17, 2008
tyrus thomas will be an allstar in 2 years no doubt

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Josh Smith Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News NBA Free Agency: What's Next For Miller + Rondo... (Jul '13) Aug '13 johnny 2
News NBA Trade Rumors: Boston Celtics Offering Jeff ... (Feb '13) Feb '13 tools 1
News NBA Rumors: Los Angeles Lakers looking to trade... (Aug '12) Sep '12 Ginobili 56
News NBA Rumors: Hawks deal Josh Smith to Lakers for... (Jul '12) Jul '12 jimmy 7
News NBA Rumors: Josh Smith Linked to Los Angeles La... (Jun '12) Jul '12 Ginobili 3
News Magic After Josh Smith (Jun '12) Jun '12 Dan 1
News NBA Trade Rumors: Will Josh Smith Be a LA Laker... (May '11) Jun '11 MarkL5 6
More from around the web