Year 1 sticks in Hawk's craw

Year 1 sticks in Hawk's craw

There are 12 comments on the Rocky Mountain News story from Nov 27, 2006, titled Year 1 sticks in Hawk's craw. In it, Rocky Mountain News reports that:

New Buffs coach grades 2006 season harshly - 'F-minus' XXPHOTOXX Evan Semon © News University of Colorado football coach Dan Hawkins says, "I'm one of those guys where you can't put makeup over a pimple.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Rocky Mountain News.

Spud

Ada, OK

#1 Nov 28, 2006
Well Dan Hawkins look for me when they show the crowd in the feista Bowl. I hated you to leave Boise but, Now I'm glad. If you say the bottom half of the big 12 has more speed and size then the WAC then why couldn't you beat them. Maybe Colorado should apply for the WAC.
Fred in Meridian

AOL

#2 Nov 28, 2006
Spud, it wasn't hawkins, it was petersen that made hawkins, glad he's gone, He's why i think the team went 9-4 last year, they were tired of him
Pete should be coach of the year for what he has done for this team
Jim

Norfolk, NE

#3 Nov 28, 2006
Fred, I second you. When I talked to ex-players, the majority said that BSU would be better. They were tired of cliches and worn out symobols. All of them said Peterson was "the man," a player's coach. And now we have some great young coaches with him. The offense is still there, the defense is better than ever. The only burp I see is special teams...and I imagine this will get rolled out soon. And our recruits keep getting better and better.
puffdoggy

Ukraine

#4 Nov 29, 2006
I totally agree with all you guys...but we have another burp Jim...I really hope we don't play too much man-man in our D backfield in the fiesta...our zone coverage is much better. I'd like to see a better defensive backfield next year. The broncs come up with their share of big plays but a great QB-reciever combo might tear us up. (in the fiesta) I think the broncs are better off w/zone coverages...the d line will still pressure..they're good enough when they have to be is all I'm saying...
Spud

Ada, OK

#5 Nov 30, 2006
puffdoggy,you are 100% right.Our zone defense is really good, and more to the point the team gets it.I want to see a good solid D in the bowl, not some new complicated crap in the dbackfield. See you in Glendale, GO BIG BLUE
Spud

Ada, OK

#6 Dec 1, 2006
Hey guys,what if we do go undefeated? Ohio State gets beat aaaaaaaand we beat a good solid Oklahoma . Where are we ranked? I don't want to be called a braggard or blowhard, but hey,If we are undefeated for the month of january ,hey I'm bragging, I love my Broncos , I love my college ball GO BIG BLUE SEE YOU AZ
BroncoinMT

Missoula, MT

#7 Dec 1, 2006
I'm sorry to hear several people cutting down former BSU coaches. Hawkins was great for Boise. Let's not forget 2004 when we had a similar favorable schedule as this year. Peterson did a great job this year, but he started out with a full cupboard. Let's see how next year goes with Hawaii, Fresno, etc. on the road. And let's see how Peterson recurits over the next few years. I wish Hawkins the best, Koetter too. Each one has built on the one before him to get us to where we are today. Go BSU
puffdoggy

Ukraine

#8 Dec 2, 2006
I have much respect for Hawkins, but many feel Peterson made Hawkins and that's a subject best left for the off-season. However, I never got to the point I liked Koetter that much. It was too obvious he was using BSU as a spring board. But hey that's college football and it's tough for a coach to turn down 3 times the money. I also didn't agree w/some of his decisions during games. But he did win and that's what matters, so I've always been ho-hum about Koetter. Of course this is just one mans opinion. puffy
Spud

Ada, OK

#10 Dec 8, 2006
Guys went I went off on Dan Hawkins I must have had a fever. To tell the truth I have become a Buffalo fan . Dan Hawkins took over a program roten to the core. They cried out that a division 1AA montana beat them,I guess they don,t know the Big Sky goes Through Montana year after year and always have a good team. I just Hope the Hawk can turn it around. Dan Hawkins did great things for Boise State ,Boise, Idaho, and the surrounding areas.I can understand that comment coming off such a disappointing season. He stayed a year to long for his career,but I,m glad he did.The coaching transition has a lot to do with the Hawk. I,m sorry he got stuck with such a toilet of a team to be nice.the program was in chaos on and off the field. and you know he might of took it for the challenge.CU has a great coach and I wish them the best. In 2004 Washington , the Irish all talked to him that year but after seeing Urban Meyers leave Utah like he did , I think he put off a year and got screwed at CU.
puffdoggy

Kiev, Ukraine

#11 Dec 9, 2006
Spud wrote:
Guys went I went off on Dan Hawkins I must have had a fever. To tell the truth I have become a Buffalo fan . Dan Hawkins took over a program roten to the core. They cried out that a division 1AA montana beat them,I guess they don,t know the Big Sky goes Through Montana year after year and always have a good team. I just Hope the Hawk can turn it around. Dan Hawkins did great things for Boise State ,Boise, Idaho, and the surrounding areas.I can understand that comment coming off such a disappointing season. He stayed a year to long for his career,but I,m glad he did.The coaching transition has a lot to do with the Hawk. I,m sorry he got stuck with such a toilet of a team to be nice.the program was in chaos on and off the field. and you know he might of took it for the challenge.CU has a great coach and I wish them the best. In 2004 Washington , the Irish all talked to him that year but after seeing Urban Meyers leave Utah like he did , I think he put off a year and got screwed at CU.
I agree, you have to give a guy a few years in college ball to know anything about how he'll do. His recruiting has always been solid so I'd like to see how he does in a few years...puffy
bronco blue

United States

#12 Dec 10, 2006
look at his recruits he is kicking all the big 12 butts he'll have that program going strong next year
puffdoggy

Ukraine

#13 Dec 10, 2006
bronco blue wrote:
look at his recruits he is kicking all the big 12 butts he'll have that program going strong next year
I hope so, that'll be a program to watch very closely next year, and of course I hope the best for him. He's got his work cut out for him there that's for sure...puffy

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Josh Smith Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News NBA Free Agency: What's Next For Miller + Rondo... (Jul '13) Aug '13 johnny 2
News NBA Trade Rumors: Boston Celtics Offering Jeff ... (Feb '13) Feb '13 tools 1
News NBA Rumors: Los Angeles Lakers looking to trade... (Aug '12) Sep '12 Ginobili 56
News NBA Rumors: Hawks deal Josh Smith to Lakers for... (Jul '12) Jul '12 jimmy 7
News NBA Rumors: Josh Smith Linked to Los Angeles La... (Jun '12) Jul '12 Ginobili 3
News Magic After Josh Smith (Jun '12) Jun '12 Dan 1
News NBA Trade Rumors: Will Josh Smith Be a LA Laker... (May '11) Jun '11 MarkL5 6