Jeers or cheers? Easy in hindsight

Donnie Walsh saw this as a solo mission. "Believe me, the scouts weren't willing to go on the stage with me," Walsh said. Full Story
Po White Trash

Tallahassee, FL

#22 May 15, 2007
Jack from Fort Lauderdale wrote:
<quoted text>
The fans have given the franchise ten+ years and three coaching administrations an opportunity to succeed. Just exactly when was that fair weather when the Fins had a Super Bowl contender that wouldn't get smashed in meaningful cold weather December games? You dopes would probably cite the Flutie bowl when he drop kicked a PAT in New England when they were playing for golf tee times.
Go get on the Colts or Pats bandwagon; you can be a fan of a Superbowl winner. I remember a bunch of cowboy fans in the 90s. I guess there all Pats fans now.
Steve-O

North Miami Beach, FL

#23 May 15, 2007
Orange Lot Tailgater wrote:
What I don't get is why people use PRIOR regimes' choices as SUPPORT for their reasoning that THIS new regime screwed up, in this draft. Example - "these guys suck because this is the same team that passed on Drew Brees." Cam and Mueller did not pass on Brees and chose Jamar Fletcher - Wanny did. Last time I checked, Wanny was long gone. "This constant 'let's try this guy over here' hasn't gotten us anywhere."
Yeah, Cam and Mueller's constant "let's try this guy..." Oh, wait...I forgot...this was THEIR FIRST DRAFT.
Wrong again! There has been only ONE regime and that is the Wayne Huizenga Regime. Whomever you choose to blame for the Dolphins ineptitude, there is one guy at the top of the trash heap who either hired these clowns to begin with, or has veto power over their bungled decision making.
Bring It

Nolensville, TN

#24 May 15, 2007
How many of you understand that it was confirmed that Ginn was set to be Houston's pick at number ten if Miami passed on him? This was NOT a "reach" people. This kid can spread a defense like few people can. BYU is quarterback U, and you will see Beck can more than "bring it."
Po White Trash

Tallahassee, FL

#26 May 15, 2007
What I don't get is why people use PRIOR regimes' choices as SUPPORT for their reasoning that THIS new regime screwed up, in this draft. Example - "these guys suck because this is the same team that passed on Drew Brees." Cam and Mueller did not pass on Brees and chose Jamar Fletcher - Wanny did. Last time I checked, Wanny was long gone. "This constant 'let's try this guy over here' hasn't gotten us anywhere."
Yeah, Cam and Mueller's constant "let's try this guy..." Oh, wait...I forgot...this was THEIR FIRST DRAFT.
Why didn't they pick an OT with No. 9? Simple answer - and it goes back to the "best available player" theory. There were no OT's worthy of the first round, let alone the No. 9 pick, once Thomas and Levi were taken. But Ginn WAS a first round (top 15-20 pick) calibre WR. A better question, and a fair one too - would be "if they were going to follow the "best available player on the board" route,(and if they had already decided to pick a QB in round 2 and pass on Quinn) why didn't they pick one of several players (DT, CB, etc.) rated higher than Ginn?"
Finally! A true fan making some sense! Half of these people would fire a Phins coach for being a Phins coach!
Po White Trash

Tallahassee, FL

#27 May 15, 2007
<quoted text>
Okay, Jack - so you've confirmed my follow-up post, that "fans" like you are going to trash what Cam/Mueller are doing NOW, based on the mistakes "the franchise" made in the past. Since the "franchise" is a corporate entity and not a human being, and since we've had a number of different human beings on the field and in the front office since Shula retired, what you're really saying is that it is all Wayne's fault, since that has been the one constant. Fair enough. Stupid as sh--t, but fair enough.
So I guess this leaves you with three choices:
1. Don't buy tickets; don't watch; don't listen on the radio. Until Wayne finally sells the team and a new owner will hire coaches/gms of your choice.
2. Give Cam/Mueller a f--kin.....CHANCE; after all, Cam has yet to coach his first pre-season game.
3. Keep on whining like a 4 year-old girl on chat boards.
Hmmm, I wonder which it will be....
Poetry, Shear Poetry! I bet they choose # 3.
Raymond

AOL

#28 May 15, 2007
The Dolphins will look like FOOLS for passing on Brady
Po White Trash

Tallahassee, FL

#29 May 15, 2007
Raymond wrote:
Told you they would pick #3
Zack

Smithfield, VA

#30 May 15, 2007
Yea because Brady Quinn Was so amazing at ND/ NOT. Wow he couldnt win agaisnt good competeion if his life depended on it. If Beck had the weapons and the school that Brady went too he would have been gone way before quinn in the draft. Everyone just cool down and give beck and ginn and the coaching staff a chance. The fans seem to always think they know more then the coaching staff.
Steve-O

North Miami Beach, FL

#31 May 15, 2007
Bring It wrote:
How many of you understand that it was confirmed that Ginn was set to be Houston's pick at number ten if Miami passed on him? This was NOT a "reach" people. This kid can spread a defense like few people can. BYU is quarterback U, and you will see Beck can more than "bring it."
Who confirmed this? Camcameron? Besides weren't the Texans the same team that drafted Mario Williams over Reggie Bush just last year? That ain't saying much
Gary

United States

#32 May 15, 2007
Speed, speed, and more speed that is why Ted Ginn is here. The Dolphins have taken a chance on him, but aren't all draft picks like that. Who is to say that Quinn won't be a bust. For those of you that are sure of him being a star please bring your crystal balls to Randy and Cam.
Orange Lot Tailgater

Fort Myers, FL

#33 May 15, 2007
Raymond wrote:
So speaketh the Prophet.

As for me, since I am not a prophet and can not predict the future with rock solid certainty (after all, I think there might have been, just maybe, one or two other 'highly touted' college qbs who did not live up to all the hype after the draft) whether the Fins will look like fools for passing on Quinn sort of depends on how Quinn does in the NFL. Dontcha Think?

He might be the next Joe Montana; or he might be the next Rick Mirer. And then hindsight be of course be 20-20.

Anybody who is 100%, no doubt in your mind whatsoever, totally and completely convinced, without question, that Quinn is a LOCK to be a star in the NFL...may have listened to Mel Kiper and the other talking heads.....but probably has not watched a whole hell of a lot of Notre Dame football the past few years.
Westsider

North Port, FL

#34 May 15, 2007
papi wrote:
Cute to see the local media, much like a cheerleading squad that works on new routines eveyday, rallying round the local team i.e. Ginn's got character, family, and now he's miraculously linked to Reggie Miller! But he's still 5-11, 175 lbs., still plays wr, and still has a bad foot. Only if that 6-3, 225 lbs., qb stud in Cleveland totally bombs will this pick avoud going down as an all time dud. Qb's have longer careers, handle the ball every play, and in the NFL are easily worth a bunch of wr's. Check out how easily New England restocked its wr corps; but could they have replaced Brady that easily? Go ahead Ethan and keep on drinking that Ginn Kool-Aid, but if Quinn can play watch out for the flashbacks.
Here's what I don't understand .... you mentioned in your post, referring to Ginn, "he's still 5'11" 175 lbs."

Papi listen up, ok? the following players are either former 1st round draft picks and/or are presently starting WRs/PRs in the NFL. Terry Holt (5'11+), Darrell Jackson (5'11+), Derrick Mason (5'10+) David Patten (5'10),Steve Smith (5'8+), Hines Ward (5'11+), Isaac Bruce (5'10+),Chris Chambers (5'11), Donald Driver (5'11+), Joey Galloway (5'10+), Terry Glenn (5'10+) Marvin Harrison (5'11),Santonio Holmes (5'10+), Deion Branch (5'9), Tim Brown (5'11+), Anquan Boldin (5'11+), Laveranues Coles (5'10+), Santana Moss (5'9), Roscoe Parrish (5'7+), Dante Hall (5'7), and last but not least, the beloved Wes Welker (5'8 3/4)(all of these heights came from the NFL combine). These guys have done quite well, and most of them can fly, but the bottom line is this ...... none can outrun Mr Ginn. And every DB in football knows it !!!!!!! END OF STORY.
Steve-O

North Miami Beach, FL

#35 May 15, 2007
Gary wrote:
For those of you that are sure of him being a star please bring your crystal balls to Randy and Cam.
You don't need a crystal ball. Just enough common sense to NOT use a top 10 draft pick on an injured family friend.
bill

Asheville, NC

#36 May 15, 2007
I agree with the Kingfish, we will only know if this draft was smart after they play for a few years, until then we are just blowing smoke, as I said on an
previous post if these experts were real experets, than they would be making big money working for a NFL team, so until they produce a pay check I will trust Cam to make the decision on who is best for the Dolphins. Bill
Westsider

North Port, FL

#37 May 15, 2007
Gary wrote:
Speed, speed, and more speed that is why Ted Ginn is here. The Dolphins have taken a chance on him, but aren't all draft picks like that. Who is to say that Quinn won't be a bust. For those of you that are sure of him being a star please bring your crystal balls to Randy and Cam.
You tell 'em Gary .... we need more posts like this one !
Westsider

North Port, FL

#38 May 15, 2007
Steve-O wrote:
<quoted text>
Who confirmed this? Camcameron? Besides weren't the Texans the same team that drafted Mario Williams over Reggie Bush just last year? That ain't saying much
Hey Stevie boy ... could you post the website for your team's comment section, so we could all go there and get those fans riled up the way you seem to love to do to the Dolphins fans ?
Bring It

Nolensville, TN

#39 May 15, 2007
Steve-O wrote:
<quoted text>
On your first question. NFL Insider, the magazine. It is a fact. On your Mario/Bush point....well taken. Remember 20 teams passed on Quinn for a reason. Ginn would have gone several times over before 20.
Miami Guy

Miami Beach, FL

#40 May 15, 2007
kingfish wrote:
To start with Ginn is a playmaker, weather he works out and becomes a star reciever only time can tell. As far as his size, look at Marvin Harrison or Wes Welker.
Now as for Beck vs. Quinn, I too have read lots of scouting reports and the only knock on Beck was his arm strength. We Dolfans have all seen his 70 yard throw on YouTube, so arm strength is apparently not a problem.
To sum all this up, we will more than likely be seeing Beck making 70 yard touchdown passes to Ginn in a couple of years while Quinn will be in Cleveland throwing to recievers that are duck hunting.
Beautiful Post!! Everyone is sooo caught up in Ginn's 'size' but last I checked the following receivers are small and have excelled in the NFL:

M.Harrison
Sanatana Moss
L. Coles
Steve Smith
Joey Galloway
Antwan Randle-El
Deion Branch
Torry Holt
y-not

Cumming, GA

#41 May 15, 2007
Steve-O wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't need a crystal ball. Just enough common sense to NOT use a top 10 draft pick on an injured family friend.
I don't like to criticize someone for their post if they disagree with the way I think. BUT after reading your six or seven posts to this ONE article here are my conclusions:

You are a judgmental idiot that thinks only you are right.

You ought to try finding something positive to say "once in a while" - you are the most negative poster I can think of

Get off the Wayne H trip. You obviously don't have, nor ever will, any experience managing or running a business.
kingfish

Apalachicola, FL

#42 May 15, 2007
Westsider wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's what I don't understand .... you mentioned in your post, referring to Ginn, "he's still 5'11" 175 lbs."
Papi listen up, ok? the following players are either former 1st round draft picks and/or are presently starting WRs/PRs in the NFL. Terry Holt (5'11+), Darrell Jackson (5'11+), Derrick Mason (5'10+) David Patten (5'10),Steve Smith (5'8+), Hines Ward (5'11+), Isaac Bruce (5'10+),Chris Chambers (5'11), Donald Driver (5'11+), Joey Galloway (5'10+), Terry Glenn (5'10+) Marvin Harrison (5'11),Santonio Holmes (5'10+), Deion Branch (5'9), Tim Brown (5'11+), Anquan Boldin (5'11+), Laveranues Coles (5'10+), Santana Moss (5'9), Roscoe Parrish (5'7+), Dante Hall (5'7), and last but not least, the beloved Wes Welker (5'8 3/4)(all of these heights came from the NFL combine). These guys have done quite well, and most of them can fly, but the bottom line is this ...... none can outrun Mr Ginn. And every DB in football knows it !!!!!!! END OF STORY.
Good well informed post. Maybe, just maybe that will shut this guy up.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

John Stockton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Portland shocks No. 22 Gonzaga (Jan '14) Jan '14 johnnyj 1
TOO FAR: Player spat was last straw for Utah's ... (Feb '11) Feb '11 Sugar01 3
Jazz choose Gordon Hayward in draft (Jul '10) Jul '10 teamwork1 1
Michael Jordan elected to basketball hall of fame (Apr '09) Oct '09 bob 79
Tales from the Basketball Hall of Fame (Sep '09) Sep '09 Ron Kujawski 1
Jordan takes center stage at Hall of Fame (Sep '09) Sep '09 Tiffany 3
John Stockton, NBA Leader in Assists and Steals... (Sep '09) Sep '09 yamilet 1
More from around the web