Turkeys give thanks for veggie lifestyle at Orland event

There are 13 comments on the Chico Enterprise-Record story from Nov 20, 2010, titled Turkeys give thanks for veggie lifestyle at Orland event. In it, Chico Enterprise-Record reports that:

Instead of eating turkeys in celebration of Thanksgiving, hundreds flocked to Orland this Saturday to feed the turkeys during Farm Sanctuary's annual Celebration of the Turkeys.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chico Enterprise-Record.

lynn

San Jose, CA

#1 Nov 21, 2010
Leanne Cronquist is the Shelter Director at Farm Sanctuary, not a volunteer. Otherwise, great story!
Old and Retired

Chico, CA

#2 Nov 21, 2010
Not very well publicized! Didn't read a word about it beforehand.
Steve

Chico, CA

#3 Nov 21, 2010
Wait, but they're still gonna eat the birds next week, right? I hate to see all that food go to waste in tough times like this.
Julie Dunn Guillen

San Francisco, CA

#4 Nov 22, 2010
Thanks you Robin, for writing about Farm Sanctuary. You did a great job explaining the philosophy of the sanctuary. As a vegetarian/aspiring vegan, I love seeing aarticles like yours, that increase awareness to the cruelties of factory farming. I learned about the organization earlier this year and joined their annual "Walk for Farm Animals". I came up from San Francisco to see the Celebration of the Turkeys and was so happy to see you there writing about it. I hope more people will go visit Farm Sanctuary, join the cause and help animals have better lives, free of cruelty. Thank you again!
Sincerely,
Julie Dunn Guillen
Farmer

United States

#5 Nov 22, 2010
Julie Dunn Guillen wrote:
Thanks you Robin, for writing about Farm Sanctuary. You did a great job explaining the philosophy of the sanctuary. As a vegetarian/aspiring vegan, I love seeing aarticles like yours, that increase awareness to the cruelties of factory farming. I learned about the organization earlier this year and joined their annual "Walk for Farm Animals". I came up from San Francisco to see the Celebration of the Turkeys and was so happy to see you there writing about it. I hope more people will go visit Farm Sanctuary, join the cause and help animals have better lives, free of cruelty. Thank you again!
Sincerely,
Julie Dunn Guillen
Julie: Come up to my farm sometime and you can see how I treat my cattle. I am not a factory farmer and most farmers are not either. We care about our animals and we are delivering a quality product to our customers. I don't take any subsidy and I don't make lots of money. I enjoy farming to see the calves grow and the grain that I plant sprout out of the soil. I do this every day and you would enjoy it too because living in San Francisco does not give you much of a chance to see the beauty of nature like we on the farm get to appreciate.

“Politically Incorrect”

Since: Jul 09

Chico

#6 Nov 22, 2010
Farmer wrote:
<quoted text>
Julie: Come up to my farm sometime and you can see how I treat my cattle. I am not a factory farmer and most farmers are not either. We care about our animals and we are delivering a quality product to our customers. I don't take any subsidy and I don't make lots of money. I enjoy farming to see the calves grow and the grain that I plant sprout out of the soil. I do this every day and you would enjoy it too because living in San Francisco does not give you much of a chance to see the beauty of nature like we on the farm get to appreciate.
I have a feeling "Farmer" that Julie is one of those people that think that if you don't eat the animal, the animals never die. Anyways, have a happy Thanksgiving and thanks for farming the right way!
Julie Dunn Guillen

San Francisco, CA

#7 Nov 22, 2010
4thGenChico wrote:
<quoted text>
I have a feeling "Farmer" that Julie is one of those people that think that if you don't eat the animal, the animals never die. Anyways, have a happy Thanksgiving and thanks for farming the right way!
Julie here (and I'll speak for myself, thank you). As a registered nurse, I know about living and dying. But I will take up the offer to visit the kind farmer's farm.
Julie Dunn Guillen

San Francisco, CA

#8 Nov 22, 2010
Farmer wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for your description of all the above; it sounds encouraging. I would love to take you up on it. I will leave my information with Robin and look forward to meeting you.
Julie

San Francisco, CA

#9 Nov 22, 2010
Old and Retired wrote:
Not very well publicized! Didn't read a word about it beforehand.
I bet you're not too old to go visit the farm; they're open to the public. And it's gorgeous, out by Black Butte Lake.
Farmer

United States

#10 Nov 22, 2010
Julie Dunn Guillen wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for your description of all the above; it sounds encouraging. I would love to take you up on it. I will leave my information with Robin and look forward to meeting you.
Julie: Thanks for taking up my offer. We start our calving season in January and that would be a great time to see our farm. I will contact Robin and get the information...
Old and Retired

Chico, CA

#11 Nov 23, 2010
Julie wrote:
<quoted text>
I bet you're not too old to go visit the farm; they're open to the public. And it's gorgeous, out by Black Butte Lake.
Yes, I live here in Orland and have friends living in that area. It is a nice place.
Julie

San Francisco, CA

#12 Nov 24, 2010
Farmer wrote:
<quoted text>
Julie: Thanks for taking up my offer. We start our calving season in January and that would be a great time to see our farm. I will contact Robin and get the information...
I'll give Robin a call now and look forward to seeing you (and the baby calves) this winter. Thanks again.
Julie

San Francisco, CA

#13 Nov 24, 2010
Old and Retired wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I live here in Orland and have friends living in that area. It is a nice place.
Yes indeed. Happy Thanks-giving to you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

John Salley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Phil Jackson is the Ten-Master (Jun '09) Jun '09 Jonathan D Williams 1
News Patti Blagojevich: Ia ll do reality TV for my f... (Jun '09) Jun '09 Sandi Mc 1
News BET's Top 25 Fabulous Freaks (Jul '07) Jun '08 betrnot 3
News Responses to Haters (Oct '07) Oct '07 Kobe is 1 2
More from around the web