Heat guard Cook heading to minors?

Heat guard Cook heading to minors?

There are 57 comments on the South Florida Sun-Sentinel story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Heat guard Cook heading to minors?. In it, South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that:

Apparently, Daequan Cook's time finally might be coming. Just in another time zone.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Dave2183

Hallandale, FL

#1 Feb 24, 2008
Riley is becoming a joke... Cook has already hit some big time shots and of course he's going to struggle some he's a rookie but he's one of the top players of this last draft class and we are the worst team in the league. I think Riley is just afraid of winning and not getting that top pick.
juan

Miami, FL

#2 Feb 24, 2008
wow thats bull....he's such a great player...riley justt never gives rookies chances....i wonder wut he'll do to out 1st round draft pick next year...bench him 2???
fanfromafar

Israel

#3 Feb 24, 2008
Some people learn from their mistakes, others are doomed to repeat their mistakes again and again. Riley's love for veterans (perhaps expectable from a near sr. citizen who lives in the past) has cost and cost and cost. It's not only wright and simien, wherever he is. It's kurt thomas and who remembers how many others. He lets them rot on the bench, or now in the D-league. Do we need another Luke Jackson fiasco? Let Cook, who's a real prospect, play against the big boys and get some experience. If he doesn't play this year, Riley will keep him on the bench next year as well, because he hasn't been "tested."
Sunshine girl

Spartanburg, SC

#4 Feb 24, 2008
I thought he drafted him in the first round to develop his skills in the big league and play him. WHat does that do for Cook's confidence now? Riley is always depending on veteran play rather than developing new ones. How can he become a veteran if he doesn't play? He will stick with a veteran no matter what. Remember John Starks in the finals for the Knicks a few years ago? He was just as bad as I would have been, but Riley stuck with him because 'he got them finals' but did nothing when they got there.
X-LAUDERDALE

Scottsdale, AZ

#5 Feb 25, 2008
Way to play head games with the kid Riles.No bully like an old bully.
thinking man

Hollywood, FL

#6 Feb 25, 2008
Here we go again he would rather bring in old and tired players or players who's best days have been spent somewhere else.I for one am glad he decided to quit before dewayne was drafted or perhaps he would have screwed with his ability to help this team also.I think we have more to gain playing cook more so than ricky davis or jason williams since their both free agents after this year anyway, not to mention their not helping this team anyway.Riley sucks and should have been fired a long time ago.
denny

Phoenix, AZ

#7 Feb 25, 2008
Cook has yet to show the consitency needed to be an NBA player. Heat need a complete overhaul ala the Dolphins. Tear em apart and build em back up. Nobody except Wade needs to be here anymore. THEY'VE LOST 26 OF 27! Don't tell me about anyone deserving a chance!
The Reality

Pompano Beach, FL

#8 Feb 25, 2008
I have always been a riley fan but i'm beginning to hate this old fart. Basketball is a mental game and very much about confidence. If you're constantly playing under pressure how can you perform. No wonder most of the guys riley has had and let go when playing against the heat have tremendous motivation and play career games.
Go Van Gundy! You are the reason why the bench became starters and league leaders, Haslem, Wade etc...riley needs to concentrate on slicking back his greasy hair and coaching a retired nba league for yesterdays has beens.
Waht an Ass hole!
justonebreak

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#9 Feb 25, 2008
GREAT MOVE BY RILEY!!!! Nobody should be questioning this. Can't you see how the D League helped shape DWrights's game. No? Ok, me neither...
Cook

Pompano Beach, FL

#10 Feb 25, 2008
Riley should be sent down to the "D" league.
Kerry L Riviera Bch

United States

#11 Feb 25, 2008
Riles what are doing? Please make time for Cook even if you have to reduce minutes with Williams and Quinn. He will defenitely stretch defenses and is a more athletic player then Quinn. We are wanting to see the Future of the team with the season over now!!!!!!!!! Wade, Marion, Wright, Banks, Davis, Blount, Barron would be the players along with Cook coming back for the Future that we need to see play more often. So I would find minutes for them.
David McKibben

Boca Raton, FL

#12 Feb 25, 2008
Riley's choices are horrendous. He is the one who has caused all the problems with the Heat, and it is he who should be sent down to the D-League for some refresher time.
He has turned into a truly lousy coach. The only reason he won the National Championship was he rode in on the coattails of Stan Van Gundy.
This is the person that needs to be traded or let go of, in the off season.
When talking with friends in other parts of the country I am reluctant to admit I am from Miami. Riley is such an embarrassment.
joe bagadonuts key largo

Miami, FL

#13 Feb 25, 2008
the whole team should go to the minors
mike

Hollywood, FL

#15 Feb 25, 2008
wow, you heat fans are blind, i always thought cook wasn't NBA material yet. wow, he so made a couple of shots, well this aint school yard ball. theres more to basketball than just shooting. i guess this season was so bad the shots he make are magnified. come on, in the last couple of games he went 15 for 66???? thats like around 22%! my my my you guys are hypocrites, because the second someone like walker for example miss a couple of shots, you want his head. one thing i do not like is how riley is passive against wade for his defense yet will always call out dorrell wright and yell at him and embarrass him on the sidelines for a missed assignment. i feel if you're a tough, hard-nosed coach, you will punish the bottom AND the top.
the missing monsoon

New York, NY

#16 Feb 25, 2008
Cook does have a one dimensional game at this point. If his shot isn't dropping...what good is he? But this current logic of sending him to the D-league probably should've been done alot sooner.
OLD BBLR

Delray Beach, FL

#17 Feb 25, 2008
The way Wade is playing, maybe HE should go down to "D". He could learn to Pass, Dribble, Play Team Ball, and Defend! Just think what he could learn!
Leave Cook up and give him playing time!
heatup

United States

#18 Feb 25, 2008
15 for 66...wow Cook really hit the rookie wall..can't blame riley for that and don't give me that BS pressure excuse, there's pressure every night in the NBA...maybe this trip will be good for him
joe bagadonuts key largo

Miami, FL

#19 Feb 25, 2008
wade ain't s.h.i.t. w/o shaq
ZOWMAN

Pompano Beach, FL

#20 Feb 25, 2008
JASON WILLIAMS NEEDS TO GO AS WELL, HE NEEDS TO TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY DEFENCE, YOU CAN MAKE ALL THE SHOTS YOU WANT BUT IF YOU DO NOT STOP THE OTHER TEAM FROM MAKING THEIR SHOTS YOU ARE USELESS.
the missing monsoon

New York, NY

#22 Feb 25, 2008
Everyone is gushing about T-Wade's point totals...over and over. Falling in love all over again. Who cares? The Heat are still losing, T-Wade is averaging more turnovers per game than anyone else in the league, and hogs every team offensive possession. Think the tide is beginning to turn from fans, commentators, surely his teammates... everyone but Riley - that Wade's act has gone stale.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Joel Anthony Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Ask Ira: Is Haslem an answer for Heat rebounding? (Feb '13) Feb '13 kingjones38 1
News Ask Ira: Is there room for another big man in H... (Sep '12) Sep '12 Ginobili 3
News Former UMass Minuteman Marcus Camby interested ... (Jul '12) Jul '12 Ginobili 2
News Miami Heat Get the Easy Route (May '11) May '11 The Heatles 15
News Bring on Boston: Wade scores 26 and Heat win 1s... (Apr '11) Apr '11 MarkL5 2
News Miami Heat's LeBron James still fond of facing ... (Dec '10) Dec '10 walleye 1
News Heat need a rally to beat CSKA Moscow, 96-85 (Oct '10) Oct '10 World of Basketball 1
More from around the web