Chicago Bulls' new forwards add to team's versatility

So the Bulls have, like, 10 forwards on their roster now, right? Actually, it only seems that way after Thursday night's drafting of forwards James Johnson of Wake Forest and Taj Gibson of USC. Full Story
BULLS MASTER

Chicago, IL

#1 Jun 26, 2009
I Like BOTH Picks!

Oh and for those of you fans that are Upset we didn't take Blair...Guess what...

NOBODY TOOK BLAIR in the first round.

Why? Because of his Knees.(It was said that he has NO ACL's)

Why take two PF's?
So that we'd have a Solid 4 Man Rotation upfront and it also leaves the Window open to Trade DENG!

So...since Gibson is a Good player that we we're said to be checking out anyway,Plays like a Cross between VIn Baker and a Better Verison of Gooden with out the BS.

Johnson could be a STAR! He's A cross between Danny Granger and Odom but STRONGER!

Lets Resign BG and Roll!!!

EXCELLENT DRAFT!

Go Bulls!!!!
nolo

Cambridge, MA

#2 Jun 26, 2009
bring GORDON back........
DAVEEED

United States

#3 Jun 26, 2009
OK- I like Johnson at 16, much better than some of the stiffs the Bulls were looking at (G. Henderson, E. Clark).

NOT a fan of taking Gibson at 26.

Gordon is a free agent, and Detroit has him in their sights. Even if the Pistons are not able to sign him, they will drive the price for Gordon so high the Bulls will have to pay through the nose to keep him.

And what if they can't?

Wayne Ellington would have been a PHENOMENAL pickup at 26.

Apparently, the Bulls think they can play all 8 forwards at once.

As for Blair, I would have loved to see him in a Bulls jersey. Yes, the knees are very scary, but everybody in a draft is a risk, and Blair's upside is huge. He has strength, toughness, and work ethic to make his teammates better. And if anything would make Tyrus Thomas a half-decent player, it would be DeJuan kicking his a$$ solidly every day in practice.

Forman could also have traded down at 26- look at what the Knicks paid to the Lakers! And maybe even picked up a player like Jack McClinton, who can score in bunches.
Maunakea Rick

West Des Moines, IA

#4 Jun 26, 2009
I like Johnson
I would have liked to get Ellington at 26, but Gibson just might be something like Tayshaun Prince.
They did OK. I am sure there is more to follow.
Hoopster

Germantown, TN

#5 Jun 27, 2009
Folks:

Bulls guard rotation is set at Rose, Salmons, and Hinrich ... perhaps Deng in group ... and that is absolutely solid enough to compete w anyone.

Bulls better team with Gordon gone. Calling him one dimensional is kind ... sure he can hit shots that he should not be taking .... but every other aspect of his game is to the detriment of the team.

Deng will be on the opening day roster unless we trade him for another bad contract and underperforming player ... think Wallace for Hughes.

Gibson is the guy the Bulls will go to play shut down D on the opponent's bigs .... rather than watching Hinrich have to do the job .... he gave up 4 inches and 40 pounds on Pierce.

They definately need another superstar to compete with Boston / Orlando / Cleveland in the playoffs.

Noah / Thomas / and Rose will all have better years and continue to show significant improvement.

Hopefully they can sign a major free agent prior to the start of the season .... money better spent than on Gordon.
DeAngelo

El Paso, TX

#6 Jun 27, 2009
I like James Johnson but the Gibson more still bother me. I understand the reason why they didnt trade Hinrich on draft becasue of Ben Gordon. This was a very weak draft and I think we got the best players we could get. I think the bulls is working feverishly to aquire Tracy Mcgrady. Watch and see!!!!
BearsFan2

Bradenton, FL

#7 Jun 27, 2009
One of them plays good offensively, the other good defensively.

Maybe someday we can trade the two of them for one finer player who can do both.

But one thing is for sure, if we pay Gordon what he wants, we'll probably never be able to add the right guy who will be able to take us over the top.
ATLDre

Covington, GA

#8 Jun 27, 2009
"Johnson's versatility comes more at the offensive end, where he has the strength to post up small forwards and the shooting ability to pull power forwards to the perimeter, ideally causing matchup problems."

The Bulls don't have an offensive scheme. So now they are going to incoporate post play after 8 years with a rookie.

"Bulls guard rotation is set at Rose, Salmons, and Hinrich ... perhaps Deng in group ... and that is absolutely solid enough to compete w anyone."

Pipe Dream in its purest form.

Wait until Salmons faces double teams for an entire season. He has never been a #1 scoring option. His hamstrings didn't last half a season playing big minutes with the Bulls. Too bad with many of you it is abg, anyone but Gordon.
ozziefan

United States

#9 Jun 27, 2009
BearsFan2 wrote:
One of them plays good offensively, the other good defensively.
Maybe someday we can trade the two of them for one finer player who can do both.
But one thing is for sure, if we pay Gordon what he wants, we'll probably never be able to add the right guy who will be able to take us over the top.
They had and have players that can do both. That includes BG, but only at PG (his natural position). Seflosha could as well do both and would have been tradeup bait and useful in the playoffs to guard Allen and Pierce, if retained rather than dumped. Shannon Brown and Ced Simmons were also equivalent of what Bulls obtained at 26.
ozziefan

United States

#10 Jun 27, 2009
BULLS MASTER wrote:
I Like BOTH Picks!
Oh and for those of you fans that are Upset we didn't take Blair...Guess what...
NOBODY TOOK BLAIR in the first round.
Why? Because of his Knees.(It was said that he has NO ACL's)
Why take two PF's?
So that we'd have a Solid 4 Man Rotation upfront and it also leaves the Window open to Trade DENG!
So...since Gibson is a Good player that we we're said to be checking out anyway,Plays like a Cross between VIn Baker and a Better Verison of Gooden with out the BS.
Johnson could be a STAR! He's A cross between Danny Granger and Odom but STRONGER!
Lets Resign BG and Roll!!!
EXCELLENT DRAFT!
Go Bulls!!!!
No one took Budinger either. We'll see whether that was a mistake.
Rod from Tennessee

AOL

#11 Jun 27, 2009
The drafting of Johnson was probably a smart one considering he plays basically the same position of Luol Deng, who i see being of no hope whatsoever for the Bulls anymore. And to think they made that guy the highest paid player on the team. It was just such a stupid decision that i can't seem to let it go.

Anyways, i was really dissapointed with the Bulls pick at #26. To draft another forward and not take DeJuan Blair, who amazingly was still available there was a bigtime mistake imo. Blair may not have the height; however, he definitely has strength and desire, and loves to mix it up along the block. Considering the Bulls have no player fitting that description at all, they really missed out on putting together a much needed piece of the puzzle with Blair. Mark my words, the Spurs will be very grateful they were able to get him, especially as a 2nd rounder.

Overall, i'll give the Bulls a B- on their picks. Had they took Blair to go along with Johnson, it would definitely have been an A+, and you can bet i'm not the only person who sees it that way either.
Boston BullsFan

Boston, MA

#12 Jun 27, 2009
With any luck Ben Gordon will sign an $11m/year deal with Detroit, and this will be payback for fooling us with the other "Big" Ben, Wallace.

Detroit's game is very different from the Bulls and BG on Detroit? I don't get it, other than to try to mess with the Bulls.
ATLDre

Covington, GA

#13 Jun 27, 2009
Rod from Tennessee wrote:
The drafting of Johnson was probably a smart one considering he plays basically the same position of Luol Deng, who i see being of no hope whatsoever for the Bulls anymore. And to think they made that guy the highest paid player on the team. It was just such a stupid decision that i can't seem to let it go.
Anyways, i was really dissapointed with the Bulls pick at #26. To draft another forward and not take DeJuan Blair, who amazingly was still available there was a bigtime mistake imo. Blair may not have the height; however, he definitely has strength and desire, and loves to mix it up along the block. Considering the Bulls have no player fitting that description at all, they really missed out on putting together a much needed piece of the puzzle with Blair. Mark my words, the Spurs will be very grateful they were able to get him, especially as a 2nd rounder.
Overall, i'll give the Bulls a B- on their picks. Had they took Blair to go along with Johnson, it would definitely have been an A+, and you can bet i'm not the only person who sees it that way either.
Blair amazingly still available? The only thing amazing was people believing he should've gone higher. He is a 6'6 collegiate post player and not an expeceptional one.(Sir Charles being the standard) Nothing more.
ATLDre

Covington, GA

#14 Jun 27, 2009
Boston BullsFan wrote:
With any luck Ben Gordon will sign an $11m/year deal with Detroit, and this will be payback for fooling us with the other "Big" Ben, Wallace.
Detroit's game is very different from the Bulls and BG on Detroit? I don't get it, other than to try to mess with the Bulls.
Oh yeah, Detroit will spend 11 mil on Gordon only to mess with the Bulls? Gordon is hardly on the downside of his career. Detroit wanted to keep Wallace but the Bulls spent more than they were willing to pay. Without the other Pisotns to compensate for Wallace's limited skill set, he struggled here. This isn't Thabo we are talking about. The Bulls will miss Gordon if he leaves and on a team that acutally does practice defense, his shortcomings won't be overstated like they were in Chicago. We all know BG was the reason the Bulls weren't a defensive juggernaut.
omar

United States

#15 Jun 27, 2009
I'm really excited about Johnson. I think he can be good to great. We just picked up a trash talking (ask chris paul) barkley clone with a similar mean streak on the court. We can have our own little KJ/barkley thing here if things go according to Forman's plan. I like it and I think by doing little this draft was the way to go. I think the team owes it to themselves and to their fans to see this team develop for one more year. Conveniently enough right after that year is when if they choose they can go for a major overhaul....Helllooo Bailout 2010!!!! GO BULLS
BobPortCharlotte

Port Charlotte, FL

#16 Jun 27, 2009
I hope the Bulls let Ben Gordon go. He isn't worth the kind of money he will demand. No defense is why. The big move would be to trade Hinrich to the Clippers for Kamen and Camby. Also trade Thomas. They would then have size, experience and toughness.
The Chad

Spartanburg, SC

#17 Jun 28, 2009
ATLDre wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh yeah, Detroit will spend 11 mil on Gordon only to mess with the Bulls? Gordon is hardly on the downside of his career. Detroit wanted to keep Wallace but the Bulls spent more than they were willing to pay. Without the other Pisotns to compensate for Wallace's limited skill set, he struggled here. This isn't Thabo we are talking about. The Bulls will miss Gordon if he leaves and on a team that acutally does practice defense, his shortcomings won't be overstated like they were in Chicago. We all know BG was the reason the Bulls weren't a defensive juggernaut.
Actually for several years under skiles the Bulls were defensive juggernauts. They did manage to hide his weaknesses but all gets exposed in the playoffs. Just ask the Cavs...

I am with you though on giving Ben to Detroit not being the greatest move. But if they offer him that much he is theirs. It would be nowhere near the Big Bust signing though! That was perhaps the worst Signing in sports history!!!

Since: Aug 08

Springfield, IL

#18 Jun 28, 2009
So is James Johnson really a three(SF) or a four(PF)? Does he lose some weight(and adds muscle) he's currently at 12% body fat just like our buddy DeJuan Blair. Don't get me wrong, I think Johnson was a great pick, and should be a fine offensive player, possibly a star. But I think people are more projecting him as a small forward. If so, what does that mean for Luol Deng? Either he gets traded, or someone has to move over to the four if Johnson's going to be a starter. Could Deng continue to bulk up ala Anthony Mason to fill in as a hybrid four, and hopefully maintain his decent sf quickness to curl and use screens to get open for jumpers of which the one thing he can do is shoot the ball? The nice thing is Johnson will give the Bulls some on the block scoring(as will Taj Gibson) wherever he plays. It will be interesting to see what happens as it will affect the team in a major way.
ozziefan

Paramount, CA

#19 Jun 29, 2009
CentrILMark wrote:
So is James Johnson really a three(SF) or a four(PF)? Does he lose some weight(and adds muscle) he's currently at 12% body fat just like our buddy DeJuan Blair. Don't get me wrong, I think Johnson was a great pick, and should be a fine offensive player, possibly a star. But I think people are more projecting him as a small forward. If so, what does that mean for Luol Deng? Either he gets traded, or someone has to move over to the four if Johnson's going to be a starter. Could Deng continue to bulk up ala Anthony Mason to fill in as a hybrid four, and hopefully maintain his decent sf quickness to curl and use screens to get open for jumpers of which the one thing he can do is shoot the ball? The nice thing is Johnson will give the Bulls some on the block scoring(as will Taj Gibson) wherever he plays. It will be interesting to see what happens as it will affect the team in a major way.
Will the Bulls staff give these two projects the time and the encouragement to develop or keep them on the bench for 3 years and dump them, like Khyrapa, Sefolosha, Chandler, Artest. Brad Miller(1st time) and Shannon Brown? The tradeoff is not making the first round of the playoffs due to losing a few more games.

Another issue is that Artest and JR Smith have personality issues. Isnt it the job of coaching staff to deal with those, so long as the players are gifted and motivated to play hard?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Joakim Noah Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
3-Year-Old Critically Injured following Chicago... Jul '14 reality is a crutch 1
Carmelo Anthony Asking About Tom Thibodeau Make... Jun '14 Go Blue Forever 9
Bulls: Rehabbing Rose won't deter free agents Jun '14 Go Blue Forever 1
Chicago Bulls Need to Solve Scoring Woes Before... Apr '14 Dingo 1
How I stopped worrying and learned to love the ... (Apr '14) Apr '14 huge uge 1
Buying or Selling Chicago Bulls Rumors Ahead of... (Jun '13) Jun '13 Gil 1
James shrugs off flopping accusations (May '13) Jun '13 Go Blue Forever 64

Joakim Noah People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE