Coach Vinny Del Negro reflects on 1st...

Coach Vinny Del Negro reflects on 1st season

There are 59 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from May 3, 2009, titled Coach Vinny Del Negro reflects on 1st season. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

His owner labeled the Bulls ' season "a disaster" and "embarrassing" in late January, and Vinny Del Negro never flinched -- at least publicly.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Tim

Chicago, IL

#1 May 3, 2009
Keep the team, lose vinny.
HKT

East Lansing, MI

#2 May 3, 2009
Lose most the team, keep Vinny.
Cant wait

Chicago, IL

#3 May 3, 2009
Vinny did fine with the team he had. I am excited for next year cannot wait for october. Hopefully they can make some good moves this summer. It is still on Pax
Stratmaster

Memphis, TN

#4 May 3, 2009
Keep Vinny (he deserves one more year to prove himself). Keep Rose, Hinrich, Salmons, Deng and Noah. Do what you want with the rest.
Jack

Oak Lawn, IL

#5 May 3, 2009
What happened to Tyrus Thomas? He was such a big factor in game one. The Bulls were clearly out-muscled a, and out athleticiszed down low in Game 7, and Tyrus' athleticism would have helped.
BULL4EVER

Atlantic Beach, FL

#6 May 3, 2009
Let's see how good Chicago will be in 2010 because this team is just getting better every year.Things will look up just about every year for this young Bulls team totally filled with the most talented youngsters.
Scottie Pimping

Pompano Beach, FL

#7 May 3, 2009
Jack wrote:
What happened to Tyrus Thomas? He was such a big factor in game one. The Bulls were clearly out-muscled a, and out athleticiszed down low in Game 7, and Tyrus' athleticism would have helped.
Jack, Tyrus was sitting on the bench where he belonged. In 7 games Tyrus had 67 points & 44 rebounds by contrast in the same 7 games Big Baby had 127 points & 47 rebounds for the Celts.
Typical Sox Fan

Glendale Heights, IL

#8 May 3, 2009
Get rid of Tyrus. kthnxbye
vinHoo

Mount Prospect, IL

#9 May 3, 2009
Scottie Pimping wrote:
<quoted text>Jack, Tyrus was sitting on the bench where he belonged. In 7 games Tyrus had 67 points & 44 rebounds by contrast in the same 7 games Big Baby had 127 points & 47 rebounds for the Celts.
You forgot about the 20 blocks Tyrus had in 7 games while playing a lot less than Big Baby. Big Baby averaged 41.6 minutes a game and Tyrus averaged 27.6. Big Baby had 3 more TOTAL rebounds...but unfortunately that baby had 14 fewer blocks than Tyrus. Tyrus is the Bulls best defensive player....period.
Puba

Chicago, IL

#10 May 3, 2009
vinHoo wrote:
<quoted text>
You forgot about the 20 blocks Tyrus had in 7 games while playing a lot less than Big Baby. Big Baby averaged 41.6 minutes a game and Tyrus averaged 27.6. Big Baby had 3 more TOTAL rebounds...but unfortunately that baby had 14 fewer blocks than Tyrus. Tyrus is the Bulls best defensive player....period.
Those blocks are nice, but they certainly don't make Tyrus a good defender. Real big men just beat him up in the post, and he often looks confused against screens.

It's nice that Tyrus has the hops to cover up some of his teammates' defensive lapses (and his own), but he's a long way from matching up with NBA bigs in the halfcourt. Perkins and Davis are little more than wide bodies, and they had no trouble beating the hell out of him in the paint.
Scottie Pimping

Pompano Beach, FL

#11 May 3, 2009
vinHoo wrote:
<quoted text>
No I did not forget about the 20 blocks. 20 blocks does not make Tyrus the bulls best defensive player. There is more to playing defense than making an occasional block. First off when he blocks a shot it's usually not his man shot that he is blocking, it's almost always from a help position. Tyrus gets over powered when he has to guard his man straight up, also his shot selection is very questionable.

If anybody forgot something it would be you. You seem to forget that Tyrus is a starter who should be playing accordingly, that Big Baby is a backup That is only playing because KG can't, that Tyrus was drafted in the 1st round as a lottery pick and therefore should be playing like a lottery pick, that Big Baby was drafted in the 2nd round but played this series like he was the lottery pick, that Tyrus is in his 3rd year and big Baby is in his 2nd year.
vinHoo

Mount Prospect, IL

#12 May 3, 2009
Scottie Pimping wrote:
<quoted text>No I did not forget about the 20 blocks. 20 blocks does not make Tyrus the bulls best defensive player. There is more to playing defense than making an occasional block. First off when he blocks a shot it's usually not his man shot that he is blocking, it's almost always from a help position. Tyrus gets over powered when he has to guard his man straight up, also his shot selection is very questionable.
If anybody forgot something it would be you. You seem to forget that Tyrus is a starter who should be playing accordingly, that Big Baby is a backup That is only playing because KG can't, that Tyrus was drafted in the 1st round as a lottery pick and therefore should be playing like a lottery pick, that Big Baby was drafted in the 2nd round but played this series like he was the lottery pick, that Tyrus is in his 3rd year and big Baby is in his 2nd year.
Then who is the best Bulls defensive player?

I watched 80 out of 82 regular season games. By no means does that make me an expert but I think the Bulls really missed out by benching Tyrus in these playoffs. The Bulls won many games at the end of the year with Tyrus in the lineup at the end of games and now they decided to change things up and play Brad Miller (slowest player in NBA).

A blocked shot is often overlooked as not being important. You are essentially preventing 2 points because blocks often happen near the basket and if you get the ball back and score on the other end (2 or 3 points), then that's a 4 or 5 point swing just by that single block. Now this is the ideal situation from a blocked shot but you get the point.

I don't really care who was drafted before who and who is playing better. I'm just saying that Tyrus is being the scapegoat when he didn't play much in this series.

Best defensive players on Bulls
1. Tyrus
2. Salmons
3. Noah
4. Hinrich
Scottie Pimping

United States

#13 May 3, 2009
vinHoo wrote:
<quoted text>
Then who is the best Bulls defensive player?
I watched 80 out of 82 regular season games. By no means does that make me an expert but I think the Bulls really missed out by benching Tyrus in these playoffs. The Bulls won many games at the end of the year with Tyrus in the lineup at the end of games and now they decided to change things up and play Brad Miller (slowest player in NBA).
A blocked shot is often overlooked as not being important. You are essentially preventing 2 points because blocks often happen near the basket and if you get the ball back and score on the other end (2 or 3 points), then that's a 4 or 5 point swing just by that single block. Now this is the ideal situation from a blocked shot but you get the point.
I don't really care who was drafted before who and who is playing better. I'm just saying that Tyrus is being the scapegoat when he didn't play much in this series.
Best defensive players on Bulls
1. Tyrus
2. Salmons
3. Noah
4. Hinrich
It would seem to me that the bulls best defensive player would be Hinrich, he has made the nba all defensive teams at least twice in his career. Hinrich also guarded pierce & Big Baby at times and did an admirable job on both.
You forgot someone

Aurora, IL

#14 May 3, 2009
Stratmaster wrote:
Keep Vinny (he deserves one more year to prove himself). Keep Rose, Hinrich, Salmons, Deng and Noah. Do what you want with the rest.
Ben Gordon for life!!!
Stratmaster

Memphis, TN

#15 May 3, 2009
You forgot someone wrote:
<quoted text>
Ben Gordon for life!!!
Forgot? hmmmm... not so much. He is my first cut.
vinHoo

Mount Prospect, IL

#16 May 3, 2009
If anybody gets bored, search youtube for 'Tyrus Thomas' or Tyrus Thomas mix'

Holla
OZZ

Plainfield, IL

#17 May 3, 2009
Tyrus is a dumbass period! HE belongs on the Bench... PAX needs to get rid of Tyrus and Deng!
Dean

Davenport, FL

#18 May 4, 2009
Tyrus may be a luxury we can't wait on. Would you rather have Ty or Brand or Battier? We would have won with one of those guys. I love Kirk, but he is a starting point for at least 4 teams and maybe our best trade value. I say, move up in the draft, get a big two and trade for at least two more bigs.
keepin it real

Oslo, Norway

#19 May 4, 2009
we need horace grant back! the man who did the dirty work, bumpin and grindin! take it for granted!
Mgray

Atlanta, GA

#20 May 4, 2009
I'm hoping this will be his last season as coach......but I know better.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Joakim Noah Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Jonas Valanciunas may get a max-deal despite no... (Aug '15) Aug '15 Fart news 2
News 3-Year-Old Critically Injured following Chicago... (Jul '14) Jul '14 reality is a crutch 1
News Carmelo Anthony Asking About Tom Thibodeau Make... (Apr '14) Jun '14 Go Blue Forever 9
News Bulls: Rehabbing Rose won't deter free agents (Jun '14) Jun '14 Go Blue Forever 1
News Chicago Bulls Need to Solve Scoring Woes Before... (Apr '14) Apr '14 Dingo 1
News How I stopped worrying and learned to love the ... (Apr '14) Apr '14 huge uge 1
News Buying or Selling Chicago Bulls Rumors Ahead of... (Jun '13) Jun '13 Gil 1
More from around the web