At some point, Steph has to want to p...

At some point, Steph has to want to play, right?

There are 28 comments on the Newsday story from Nov 15, 2008, titled At some point, Steph has to want to play, right?. In it, Newsday reports that:

The only way Stephon Marbury could get further down the bench is if Mike D'Antoni points to the end of it and yells, "Jerome!" There was Marbury on Friday night, nattily clad and seated next to another symbol ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Troy

Brooklyn, NY

#1 Nov 15, 2008
WHAT A SURPRISE. SO THIS WHOLE FIASCO IS MARBURY'S FAULT ONCE AGAIN. YOU MEDIA FOOLS ARE COMICAL AND HAVE NOTHING ELSE TO WRITE BUT TO TRY TO CONTINUE THE TREND THAT WAS CREATED BY YOU MEDIA FOLKS WITH REGARD TO STEPHON. GET OVER IT! YOUR POINTS HAVE BEEN TAKEN BY MOST OF THE IDIOTS WHO READ THIS STUFF AND CAN'T FORM AN OPINION BASED ON THEIR OWN FACTS AND RESEARCH
TIME TO MOVE ON GUYS, YOU ALREADY HAVE STOMPED STEPH INTO THE GROUND. STOP GETTING OFF ON CONTINUING TO DO SO.
WHY NOT WRITE ABOUT THE KNICK TEAM WINNING GAMES (ALBEIT AGAINST LESS THAN AVERAGE OPPONENTS), BUT ITS A NEW YEAR....BUT SAME CRAP FROM YOU MEDIA FOLKS!
BigTyme

Colonial Beach, VA

#2 Nov 15, 2008
"The Man" exist no longer; no longer will blacks be hoodwinked, bamboozled and just plain old cheated and disrespected. I'm sick of all these vague comments about Marbury's teamates saying this and that, making this gesture and that; if you can't name who they are, then don't write it. You may not be a racist, but it is clear that you are writing about someone who you have personal feelings about and that is unproffessional on your part. Marbury is to be commended for the way he is handling being lied to and set up for humiliation. He himself realizes that you reap what you sow and that this is merely him getting what put out. However, God is our judge and it's not mans place to say what kind of punishment he deserves. D'AnPhony is a liar, period, and if I were a free agent, I wouldn't trust him and neither should any of the current Knicks who believe they are in the circle. This all started because Marbury did what any self-respecting american is supposed to do while under oath; tell the truth! He didn't lie like all the rest of the Garden cronies. Don't be afraid that Blacks are going to take over now because Obama is the President; be afraid because we are now EVEN
John New York NY

Toronto, Canada

#3 Nov 15, 2008
Marbury is the biggest idiot in basketball, plain and simple. I would be tempted to buy him out outright just to get the cancer that is 'Starbury' off a Knick team in the process of rebirth. His greed and self-centred nature represent all that is wrong in pro-sports, and I hope that this current boneheadedness takes his career to a point so low that he's ballin at the earth's crust.
gary

Hackensack, NJ

#4 Nov 15, 2008
Hey small time, this isn't a black and white issue. NO ONE GETS 100% OF THERE MONEY IN A BUY OUT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. All the Knicks want is an offset of his salary. This goon wants the whole enchilada. He doesn't deserve it. This guy has been a cancer every team he's been on.
KnickFaninNc

Phoenix, AZ

#5 Nov 15, 2008
Marbury is no saint, but he's definitely not greedy. He probably does more for the community than most players in the league. Get your facts straight! Stop letting the media determine your opinion! He's been doing charity stuff since he got in the league.
Mike lied to Marbuy! Mike knew all along he wasn't going to play marbury when the season started, so why give the impression marbury has a clean slate. That's what started this whole mess! If you was going to hold his history against him, then don't smile in his face and then stab the man in the back. Don't blame Marbury for wanting to be paid his full salary. It's a contract and both parties are binded. If the Knicks feel they don't want him, then let him go. Don't hold him hostage and expect to save money. I do agree that Marbury should atleast accept the deal if they only require his new salary be deducted from the knicks bill. No restrictions on what team he can sign with. That seems fair and he becomes a free agent. Sign with Boston and comeback to the Garden and score 50! Win a ring and your career is set!
HustleHard

Pocono Pines, PA

#6 Nov 15, 2008
The Knicks took on that contract when they got him, be it Thomas's fault or the owners of the Knicks, he earned that money cause he got played well enough to get it. Let my boss come to me and ask for a portion of my owed contract??? The laughter would be heard round' the world. In the words of Teddy KGB "PAY THAT MAN HIS MONEY!!!"
John

Toronto, Canada

#7 Nov 15, 2008
As Gary said, players NEVER get the full contract value in a buyout situation, why should Marbury be any different? Marbury's own pride is hurting him right now, as well as his future career prospects - and for what 2 million dollars? He will be getting the same amount of his deal over the full year anyway - so it cannot be described as anything but greed. And to KnickFaninNc just because he is charitable does not give him a pass in other spheres of life, just like any other player in the league.

It's the previous Knick administration's fault that he was so vastly overpaid - but it's Marbury's fault that he's fighting not for a principle but his own swell-headed ideals. The fact that we are even talking about this and not the 6-3 Knicks who deserve the respect and attention is the real tragedy; but I cannot blame the current Knick leadership for wanting to avoid the excessive spending of the past - especially on an undeserving cretin like Marbury.
Pt Jeff

Valley Stream, NY

#8 Nov 15, 2008
Marbury is a THUG...get outta town....you bum
KnickFaninNc

Phoenix, AZ

#9 Nov 15, 2008
How is it greed to be paid what you was owed? If you do a job for somebody and they agree to pay you whatever amount, how is it greed if you wanna be paid full value. It's only greed if he wants to be paid more than what was signed. It's the principle at this point, but the Knicks are holding firm. Each side is trying to get the best deal, but legally he doesn't have to accept a penny less. So, it's a stalemate right now. He has to decide if an extra million or so is worth not playing any basketball. If they offered a deal with the only deduction of pay being my new contract, I'll take it. It's not greed if he doesn't it, it may be dumb, but it's not greed. Marbuy received TWO Max deals, so that's TWO GM's who felt he deserved Max money. Don't get mad b/c he took advantage of a great situation. Everyone in that position would do it.
KNICKFAN231

Brooklyn, NY

#10 Nov 15, 2008
MARBURY DOESNT DESERVE HIS WHOLE CONTRACT EVERY SINCE HE CAME TO THA KNICKS HE BEEN A LOSER NOT ONE WINNNG SEASON WIT HIM RUNNING THA TEAM..IF U MARBURY LOVERS FORGOT HE GOT TRADE FROM THE SUNS WHEN D'Antoni TOOK OVER THEM AND THEY WENT ON TO WIN 50+ GAMES FOR THE NEXT 4 YEARS,MAKING STEVE NASH A 2X MVP AND AMARE A ALL STAR(#9 PICK)LOL NOW WHOS THE MAIN PROBLEM..U LAMES NEED TO LET GO OF MARBURY THE KNICKS ARE DOING BETTER THEN ANY SEASON HE WAS RUNNING POINT..LATS YEAR 3-27 AGAINST THE WEST,THIS YEAR 3-1 SO FAR..U GUYS DO THA MATH...
Cosmo

Brooklyn, NY

#11 Nov 15, 2008
Ken, Nice Brown nosing to your boss Dolan. Do you get a bonus for this rant or just get to keep your job?
Would you take less than what is on the contract that your boss signed? I think Dolan did this to himself.
Either release him or play him...enough crying
knick fan

Rangiora, New Zealand

#12 Nov 15, 2008
Marbury doesn't want a buy out, he wants to be waived. If Marbury is such a cancer, distraction, loser, why keep him around your team? The only reason is so Dolan can save a couple of million. If anything he is being greedy. Doesn't he care about whats best for the knicks?
nymoorestx

Detroit, MI

#13 Nov 15, 2008
Why would he leave any monry on the table. Basketball is a business and that would be a terrible business decision. If any player was offered the contract Marbury got, they'd sign it in a heartbeat. The bad move was made by the Knicks when they traded for him and thought his attitude would change under the big city lights. He is currently playing under his last big contract, so why would he give it up?
Peaceman

Jackson Heights, NY

#14 Nov 16, 2008
Ken,
It is a fact that Marbury has purchased a Private Jet over the Summer. Not being a Fan, I see where he's going here. That purchase is most likely for him to be able to fly
back to the US after playing with or against a guy named Josh Childress.
Dolan should just pay him his money.
Is the 1 or 2 million that Dolan wants to save, going strickly to keep the Garden open? It's a smart business
move by Marbury because he'll make a lot more money in Europe than here and
can reinvent himself. The Knicks should pay him what they legaly owe him and be over it. Time to move on.
bklyn0565

Seaside Park, NJ

#15 Nov 16, 2008
Play the guy or get rid of him. The Knicks are 6-3,but lets be for real how long will that last with your best guard on the bench.
bklyn0565

Seaside Park, NJ

#16 Nov 16, 2008
Mr Dolan need to keep this in mind! there are other free agents out there observing this as well. We know New York is the meca for basketball, but New York Basketball has not been the same since the early 90's. Everyone calls Marbury a cancer,but the guy had to change his game once he got to MSG.The guy use to be as All Star.Cut your ties with the guy and allow him to move on.
New Yorker in Florida

United States

#17 Nov 16, 2008
bklyn0565 wrote:
Play the guy or get rid of him. The Knicks are 6-3,but lets be for real how long will that last with your best guard on the bench.
When you say "your best guard on the bench" I imagine you mean the most talented. The best would have been a factor on some winning team in his career. Marbury has lost everywhere he goes. LOST EVERYWHERE is a tough distinction to overcome in an argument about best.
I do however agree that if the Knicks have made the conclusion that Marbury is bad for the team they need to pay him and let him go. They also should not have given him the impression that he had a clean slate for the season. The players may be willing to overlook that break in honesty from the coach on account they don't trust Marbury but it may be viewed as a pattern if the coach backs out on another player in the future. Steph can't be the only person with the responsibility tag rapped around his head at MSG.
KNICKFAN231

Brooklyn, NY

#18 Nov 16, 2008
marbury had a job 2 do when he came to the knicks and of course he didnt do it,thats like paying someone full pay 4 a half a** job..i dont know where yall learn bussiness at but he surely didnt earn that money by any means he should be happy wit half that money if even that..im reading some post and see people saying just pay him and the owners are being greedy..lmao oo man thats a joke..marbury said he wont take a penny less then 21 million wat has he done for tha knicks to earn that,how many games did he play last year before he relized there werent going no where..he quit on the knicks long before this year
KNICKFAN231

Brooklyn, NY

#19 Nov 16, 2008
i see alot of post about this is bussiness..let me ask if u was running the "bussiness" would u be happy wit paying a player that never brought your team to tha playoffs,a winning season,a all star game,20
+ million..i hope not cause that would surley show that ur are not smart bussiness people...this is the bbest start the knicks had since "1999" and marbuy suppose to be our best player.lol..wow open ur eyes people
JACKSON

Astoria, NY

#20 Nov 16, 2008
your clueless...step outside once in awhile and see the light buddy...im a big knicks fan from NYC and i can tell you were way better off without marbury...he is a cancer, no team has ever won with him...so black, white, green or purple hes GARBAGE!!!...AND STOP WITH THE RACISM CONTEXT ITS OVER GET OVER IT FIND SUMTHIN ELSE TO CRY ABOUT!!!!
BigTyme wrote:
"The Man" exist no longer; no longer will blacks be hoodwinked, bamboozled and just plain old cheated and disrespected. I'm sick of all these vague comments about Marbury's teamates saying this and that, making this gesture and that; if you can't name who they are, then don't write it. You may not be a racist, but it is clear that you are writing about someone who you have personal feelings about and that is unproffessional on your part. Marbury is to be commended for the way he is handling being lied to and set up for humiliation. He himself realizes that you reap what you sow and that this is merely him getting what put out. However, God is our judge and it's not mans place to say what kind of punishment he deserves. D'AnPhony is a liar, period, and if I were a free agent, I wouldn't trust him and neither should any of the current Knicks who believe they are in the circle. This all started because Marbury did what any self-respecting american is supposed to do while under oath; tell the truth! He didn't lie like all the rest of the Garden cronies. Don't be afraid that Blacks are going to take over now because Obama is the President; be afraid because we are now EVEN

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jerome James Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Knicks on the 'pay no mind' list (Feb '08) Mar '12 terrome porter 21
News Isaiah Rider (Apr '10) Apr '10 BD Gopherfan 1
News Is Morris the real deal? - AM New York (Mar '07) Jan '10 glen wildeforde 3
News Phoenix Suns: Amare, Nash, Shaq And The Draft (Jun '09) Jun '09 col 3
News Knicks' new guys could face Raptors (Feb '09) Feb '09 Tiffany 12
News Chicago Bulls trade Larry Hughes to Knicks for ... (Feb '09) Feb '09 Jeebs 223
News Knicks turn down Nate Robinson trade, pick up L... (Feb '09) Feb '09 Tiffany 28
More from around the web