D'Antoni has to get past his Marbury frustration

Full story: Newsday 36
Knicks coach Mike D'Antoni is an emotional man. It's an inextricable part of his charm, same as his run-and-gun offense and his refreshing, throwback idea that an NBA coach still can call out his players when ... Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Let's go Yankees”

Since: Jul 08

Long Island

#21 Nov 28, 2008
Drew Brown Bundini wrote:
<quoted text>Professional players pay attention to how frachises treat their players. Players in the NBA may all agree that MArbury has an inflated view of himself (but what NBA player doesn't)
but I would bet that NONE of them think this treatment is warranted. Can'twait for Lebron to announce that he has no interest in coming to NY so we can here what plan B is for Walsh/D'Anton. It will probably be 'it's not OUR fault Lebron turned down the money we offered'.
Considering many teams want Lebron, including his home team Cavs, there's a good chance we won't get him. But we all know that we will have the money available to land 2 FA studs. So you seriously think ANY of these studs won't come to play in NY because of Steph?
Ex-Knick fan

Selma, NC

#22 Nov 28, 2008
HarleyRyder wrote:
<quoted text>
Considering many teams want Lebron, including his home team Cavs, there's a good chance we won't get him. But we all know that we will have the money available to land 2 FA studs. So you seriously think ANY of these studs won't come to play in NY because of Steph?
The point that he is trying to make and you fail to comprehend is that this is so much BIGGER than Stephon Marbury. The players have a union which Steph is a part of. What happens to Steph in NY could happen to ANY NBA player if not checked. Steph does not have an agent therefore the union is representing him and if you don't think the players around the league are watching this than you don't know much about the game or unions for that matter. I could guarantee you more players in this league respect Steph's stance on this issue than say Q-Rich's take. Q by opening his mouth lost a lot of respect around the league(not that he had great respect anyway)

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#23 Nov 28, 2008
HarleyRyder wrote:
<quoted text>
All Free Agents can be offered a maximum contract by their current team no matter where they stand in the salary cap. No NBA player has EVER taken less money to go elsewhere and the Draw of playing in NY for endorsements and recognition for professional players has died long ago. Do you think less people know about Lebron because he plays in Cleveland? So two FA "studs" will come to NY to deal with the what-have-you-done-lately NY sports fan and media? It's not just Steph. It's a pattern that goes back to Ewing and even Clyde (a NBA top 50 player) traded staright up for Jim Cleamons and Arod who is called May-Rod between MVP seasons.

Jerome James has a $30 mil. contract, has played less games than Marbury but there isn't the same tone. You guys have been told who to hate and like *$@%$@#$ you do what you are told....

next it will somehow be Marbury's fault that 1st rounder Galinari got hurt after ONE summer league game .....

“Let's go Yankees”

Long Island

#24 Nov 29, 2008
<quoted text>All Free Agents can be offered a maximum contract by their current team no matter where they stand in the salary cap. No NBA player has EVER taken less money to go elsewhere and the Draw of playing in NY for endorsements and recognition for professional players has died long ago. Do you think less people know about Lebron because he plays in Cleveland? So two FA "studs" will come to NY to deal with the what-have-you-done-lately NY sports fan and media? It's not just Steph. It's a pattern that goes back to Ewing and even Clyde (a NBA top 50 player) traded staright up for Jim Cleamons and Arod who is called May-Rod between MVP seasons.
Jerome James has a $30 mil. contract, has played less games than Marbury but there isn't the same tone. You guys have been told who to hate and like *$@%$@#$ you do what you are told....
next it will somehow be Marbury's fault that 1st rounder Galinari got hurt after ONE summer league game .....
I believe that was Frederic Weiss' fault, who still has nioghtmares of Vince jumping over him. Another in a LONG line of draft disasters.
Ex-Knick fan

United States

#25 Nov 29, 2008
HarleyRyder wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe that was Frederic Weiss' fault, who still has nioghtmares of Vince jumping over him. Another in a LONG line of draft disasters.
Can you believe the man responsible for that pick is now a head coach?

Location hidden

#26 Nov 30, 2008
HarleyRyder wrote:
<quoted text>
the best player available after the Weis pick was Ron Artest playing right in Queens at St. Johns. You would think that even the KNicks couldn't screw that up. I guess there were rumors even back then about Artest and it scared the KNicks off bur apprently no one even verified before the draft if Weis was even willing to leave Europe.

“Let's go Yankees”

Long Island

#27 Dec 1, 2008
<quoted text>the best player available after the Weis pick was Ron Artest playing right in Queens at St. Johns. You would think that even the KNicks couldn't screw that up. I guess there were rumors even back then about Artest and it scared the KNicks off bur apprently no one even verified before the draft if Weis was even willing to leave Europe.
Did they ever figure out if he was afraid to fly, or to be flown over???

And when it comes to draft picks, they haven't picked a good one since Ewing, and that wasn;t even a choice.

Location hidden

#28 Dec 1, 2008
HarleyRyder wrote:
<quoted text>
Did they ever figure out if he was afraid to fly, or to be flown over???
And when it comes to draft picks, they haven't picked a good one since Ewing, and that wasn;t even a choice.
I can't fault the draft much. THe team was in playoff purgatory for 15 years... Not good enough to win a title while MJ was around and being just good enough to get low picks. I think Rod Strickland was the last Knick top 10 pick in the almost 15 years until Ewing retired. That's why the Weis pick was so damaging.... somehow THAT will be Marbury's fault also..

“Let's go Yankees”

Long Island

#29 Dec 1, 2008
<quoted text>I can't fault the draft much. THe team was in playoff purgatory for 15 years... Not good enough to win a title while MJ was around and being just good enough to get low picks. I think Rod Strickland was the last Knick top 10 pick in the almost 15 years until Ewing retired. That's why the Weis pick was so damaging.... somehow THAT will be Marbury's fault also..
What? You don't think think picking Weiss was Marbury's idea?
LOL

Location hidden

#30 Dec 2, 2008
Ex-Knick fan wrote:
<quoted text>
Can you believe the man responsible for that pick is now a head coach?
WHERE?!!
Ex-Knick fan

United States

#31 Dec 2, 2008
<quoted text>WHERE?!!
The Washington Wizards. Ed Tappscott made that ill fated pick right before Layden was hired to add his set of nails to the coffin that is the Knicks franchise.

“Let's go Yankees”

Long Island

#32 Dec 2, 2008
Ex-Knick fan wrote:
<quoted text>
The Washington Wizards. Ed Tappscott made that ill fated pick right before Layden was hired to add his set of nails to the coffin that is the Knicks franchise.
I thought Grundfeld made that pick
Ex-Knick fan

United States

#33 Dec 2, 2008
HarleyRyder wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought Grundfeld made that pick
Nope. Grunfeld was long gone at that point. To be honest that is when the Knicks started their downward spiral. Checkkets fired Grunfeld because he and Van Gundy hated each one another. We did not have a GM that draft so Tappscott as acting GM picked Fredrick Waste. After he made that pick he was asked to telecommute from DC and then Layden was hired. Layden of course traded Pat for Glen Rice ;Rice for Shannon Anderson and Howard Eisly; Camby and Nene for Antonio McDyess(never played a game) among other bad deals. The keys were then turned oer to Isaiah Thomas and he well chronicled roster blunders(Curry,James,Q,multipl e draft picks). But some how ALL OF THE KNICKS PROBLEMS ARE WERE CAUSED BY STEPHON MARBURY.

Knick fans are no doubt the dumbest fans in the league

“Let's go Yankees”

Long Island

#34 Dec 2, 2008
Ex-Knick fan wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope. Grunfeld was long gone at that point. To be honest that is when the Knicks started their downward spiral. Checkkets fired Grunfeld because he and Van Gundy hated each one another. We did not have a GM that draft so Tappscott as acting GM picked Fredrick Waste. After he made that pick he was asked to telecommute from DC and then Layden was hired. Layden of course traded Pat for Glen Rice ;Rice for Shannon Anderson and Howard Eisly; Camby and Nene for Antonio McDyess(never played a game) among other bad deals. The keys were then turned oer to Isaiah Thomas and he well chronicled roster blunders(Curry,James,Q,multipl e draft picks). But some how ALL OF THE KNICKS PROBLEMS ARE WERE CAUSED BY STEPHON MARBURY.
You are correct.

So far I haven't read one post stating that Starbury is the sole reason for our team being in the dumpster. If throwing a ticker tape parade would get rid of Curry & James, I'm sure Broadway would be packed with Knick fans. James was only brought in for his shot blocking & rebounding. Unfortunately, to date, he hasn't done either, due to his time spend in the nurse's office. Curry was a shot in the dark by Thomas, that didn't work (like everything else he did). He can put 20 up on any given night, but can't get 20 boards in a month, and has a 2" vertical leap, so blocking shots is out of the question as well. He's soft, probably due to the fact he came striaght from HS, where his HS coach was just thrilled to have a 7 footer on his team, and from his AAU coaches, who wouldn't dare "work him", because he would just switch to another team that wouldn't. He's never worked a day in his life at basketball, as he hasn't had to, and has no plans at starting now. The difference? These 2 haven't been total headaches since day 1, and Steph has. Not to worry, they'll all be gone sooner or later. This team is taking steps forward now, and Knick fans havent been able to say that in quite a while. I'm liking it!

Location hidden

#35 Dec 2, 2008
Ex-Knick fan wrote:
<quoted text>
oh spit. yep that was him. I guess in the interview when they ask 'what do you feel was your biggest professionmal mistake' he left that out

Location hidden

#36 Dec 2, 2008
Ex-Knick fan wrote:
<quoted text>
if not they are close. They are told who to hate (and who not to) and obey without question. More games were lost last year by the KNicks being consistent outscored in Q
-Rich's SF position than ANY games Marbury may have affected. But now Q-Rich has the ear of the coach. I wouldn't be surprised if he's named captain

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jerome James Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Knicks on the 'pay no mind' list (Feb '08) Mar '12 terrome porter 21
Isaiah Rider (Apr '10) Apr '10 BD Gopherfan 1
Is Morris the real deal? - AM New York (Mar '07) Jan '10 glen wildeforde 3
Phoenix Suns: Amare, Nash, Shaq And The Draft (Jun '09) Jun '09 col 3
Knicks' new guys could face Raptors (Feb '09) Feb '09 Tiffany 12
Chicago Bulls trade Larry Hughes to Knicks for ... (Feb '09) Feb '09 Jeebs 223
Knicks turn down Nate Robinson trade, pick up L... (Feb '09) Feb '09 Tiffany 28